• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official [QLD] Tournament & General Thread: Next Event - UQ Smash 15 - 19/12/15

HamishIsMyName

Smash Rookie
Bloody weather means it's a 95 % chance that I can't go to the tournament tomorrow. This really sucks because I can't really go to any of the next 3 UQ tournaments. Hope there's something I could go to in the coming months, otherwise I will just have to wait for a convenient time to go to another one.

JediLink

Smash Ace
Bloody weather means it's a 95 % chance that I can't go to the tournament tomorrow. This really sucks because I can't really go to any of the next 3 UQ tournaments. Hope there's something I could go to in the coming months, otherwise I will just have to wait for a convenient time to go to another one.
Smash Brovas is another Melee tournament series we do which is on whenever Syke says, usually every second Sunday or so. There's also Play Warehouse. Otherwise your best bet is to figure out who lives close to you and go to some local meets. Are you in the Facebook/Slack groups?

Last edited:

HamishIsMyName

Smash Rookie
Smash Brovas is another Melee tournament series we do which is on whenever Syke says, usually every second Sunday or so. There's also Play Warehouse. Otherwise your best bet is to figure out who lives close to you and go to some local meets. Are you in the Facebook/Slack groups?
Thanks for the suggestions man. I'm apart of gold coast smash on facebook but people on there are too far away for me to just casually play with. But I think it's all good now, there's a good chance of me going to the next UQ smash so I hope no issues bother me from going to that one.

Russ The Love Muss

I just want to love you
NNID
RussellTLM
Sorry for double post. Here are the results from UQ Smash V

Melee Pro

1: SmoPup
2: Syke
3: JBirds
4: Cal
5: Kami
5: Uber
7: G$
7: Jimbo
9: JediLink
9: Dutch
9: FMS
9: Party

Melee Amateur

1: Ryan
2: Mr Peach
3: Blue
4: LordOxMoose
5: Lift
5: Wizzow
7: Limes
7: Wimplo
9: Nix
9: Dogtime
9: Urisk
9: Caelan

Melee Doubles

1: JBirds + SmoPup
2: Kami + Uber
3: Jimbo + Dutch
4: Dif + Cal
5: Blue + FMS
5: Caelan + G$
7: JediLink + Ryan
7: Wizzow + Limes
9: Dogtime + Nix
9: Mr. Peach + Lift
9: Wimplo + LordOxMoose

Russ The Love Muss

I just want to love you
NNID
RussellTLM
Alright I've finally updated the OP since I've been really lazy lately. Registration for ButtonSmash is still open until Friday if anyone not going has changed their mind. Look forward to seeing everyone there :)

Russ The Love Muss

I just want to love you
NNID
RussellTLM
PR has been updated.

Next event at the moment is going to be UQ Smash on the 15th of March, everything should be in the 1st post

Sloth

Smash Ace
Not sure why I'm on the PR? I thought you had to turn up to events consistently to be on it? I average 1 SSBM tournament every 3.75 months...

Sloth

Smash Ace
Yeah, but it's not really an accurate reflection of where I am up too in terms of rest of QLD, that's the key issue.
I feel a lot of us could easily win/lose against each other - from B tier I am in to you in A. Without consistent tournament turn out / playing each other you don't know for sure..
Especially as people have off days sometimes.

It makes the current list pointless to have players like myself who are close to only 1 tournament every 4 months and barely ever go to any friendlies... I think 3 friendly meets in 14 months?
Some of the names on the list I've never played. Some of them I've only played 1-3 games against (not talking sets.. just games). As a programmer the data is not sufficient.

Aussierob123

Smash Champion
I don't think it really matters that much. The scene is really closing the gap in terms of tier list. On any good day we can beat another player who we might lose to on another day. I think we all know who the top players are and that's about all the list needs.

Edit: in other news, who has tomorrow arvo free and isn't smashed out from the weekend? I'm way too keen to keep playing and keep getting better.

Last edited:

Sloth

Smash Ace
I don't think it really matters that much. The scene is really closing the gap in terms of tier list. On any good day we can beat another player who we might lose to on another day. I think we all know who the top players are and that's about all the list needs.
To me it matters a bit. I like the ideas behind Power-rankings but they lose all credibility if you don't have the data and just play a guess game. Especially as the scene grows with newer members. I mean your right, on any day we can all beat each other, except the top two.
And why do we need 10?

---- A idea, even though I know it would be hard to implement without some flexible rule-sets. ----
One idea is to consider a monthly "PR Placement tournament' in place of lets say your normal bi-weekly.
Basically have a round robin between tier groups - Bo5 each match
Let the top two of a group play the bottom two of people from other group.

You could easily set up the rules to allow for new players to get in and current PR players go up and down in 'tiers'. You could also broaden it more if you ran such a thing to allow for groups from S, A, B, C, D, E, F etc..

... just a thought of a new spin of standard tournament format. With more pride on the line and more games against people of your 'level'.

Naturally you'd need to develop how you'd handle certain scenarios. Such as only 1 person of Tier A showing up. Or max number per tiers.

It would be entertaining. A pro bracket match I've had is lose 2-1 to Rob (last match super close), hit spups in losers (thanks to zac) next and getting knocked out. It makes it far harder to know your level with a run like that or practice against a broad range of the QLD player base at a comp level with something on the line. I can't put in effort in friendlies.

Aussierob123

Smash Champion
the problem is still attendance. I can't attend a monthly meet, neither can you obviously. And as Haikal gets furhter into his degree i highly doubt he can go to monthly meets either.

Sloth

Smash Ace
the problem is still attendance. I can't attend a monthly meet, neither can you obviously. And as Haikal gets furhter into his degree i highly doubt he can go to monthly meets either.
Yeah of course. It's just a concept idea ! :p
I understand it would be near impossible to pull off well without some complex rule-sets. Heck even you could do some groups as a side in a tournament "if" you have time to spare.
There is a lot of variations of how you can make it so people need to play certain others players to gain access to a tier.

I'd like to play some of the people in the PR in Bo5's in round robin style with something on the line unlike friendlies. Pride is free, but also valuable.

But yeah, I don't see how it logistically can be possible for the few of us. Especially with GC and Briz distances. But I thought I'd suggest some things. Better than me non-stop whining !

Sloth

Smash Ace
I can try angry instead:
U wanna shirt-front m8? Tone abet taught me how. I'll go all southern cross style on u m8.

Is that better? Or do you want me to cry you a river?

Russ The Love Muss

I just want to love you
NNID
RussellTLM
Really good tournament and it was good to see so many new people that were into melee; hopefully you guys keep coming!

UQ Smash 6 Results

Melee Pro

1: SmoPup
2: Syke
3: Dr Ditto
4: Jimbo
5: JBirds
5: Kami
7: Dutch
7: Russell
9: Party
9: JediLink
9: G$
9: Phrase
13: Jezmo
13: Mr Peach
13: TweedleDee
13: LordOxMoose

Melee Amateur

1: JPS
2: Slamuel
3: Turtle
4: LifT
5: Fady180
5: Jewlion
7: Aura
7: ClassicJono
9: numlocked
9: FingerFrost
9: Metaxis
9: despii
13: Maxwell

Melee Doubles

1: SmoPup + JBirds
2: Dutch + Phrase
3: Party + G$
4: Jimbo + Haikal
5: LordOxMoose + RussellTLM
5: Aero + Jezmo
7: Mr Peach + Lift
7: Turtle + Slamuel
9: JPS + Maxwell
9: Limes + Fahkim
9: JediLink + Fady180
9: Numlocked + Tweedle
13: Jewlion + Hinchy
13: Pork + Beef
13: Kami + Falco CPU
13: Thelly-H + Jozzai

Russ The Love Muss

I just want to love you
NNID
RussellTLM
For any of you guys that don't use Facebook, Smansion is having a melee meet this Sunday. Starting at around 10

Edit: Currently on a lunch break so I'll update OP with more details tonight. There will also be a melee tournament next weekend at the same location

Last edited:

Russ The Love Muss

I just want to love you
NNID
RussellTLM
Smash tournament on Saturday hosted at the Smansion! All details are in the OP and there is a link to the facebook event there as well.

Aussierob123

Smash Champion
Is it gonna be a formal tournament or relaxed / runs away over time tournament? Id love to come but may not have a lot of time on Saturday.

Edit: also is it cool if I come stay at smansion the night before?

I'm coming off nights again and smansion helps me stay awake all day.

Last edited:

J-Birds

Smash Lord
I gotta dip early as well so hopefully we can keep to schedule, Lord Russ TO to run a tight ship.

Last edited:
Top Bottom