• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

| QLD SantaSmash 2008 | ANZ Stadium | 13/12/2008 | A new partnership with LanSmash |

Vyse

Faith, Hope, Love, Luck
BRoomer
SantaSmash 2008

Okay guys, this is the beginning of something really good. The LanSmash group has asked me to start running Smash events to lead their competitive console side of things 5 times a year, including at GenCon (http://genconoz.com/).

This is the real kick into gear that we've been needing and it makes things a lot easier since there's no real venue organising on our end to deal with.

I'm going to flesh out the opening post with more information later, but for now I figured it'd be good to get this going as soon as possible and let you all know.

What: SantaSmash Spectacular - 150 Player LAN party
Where: QSAC (aka ANZ stadium) Kessels Road, Nathan Queensland
When: 9am to 10pm Saturday 13th of December
Cost: $15 per gamer
Registration: Signup on this page http://lansmash.com/event/santasmash-2008

It's very important you all sign up on the website to ensure your spot!

---

Rule Sets and Procedures.

Ah, the all important rule sets. For the budding/casual smasher, please, don't feel overwhelmed by the wealth of rules here. The tournament organizers are on hand to help you out should the need arise. Many of the technical rules can be explained to you, and for the most part, a lot of the later rules may not ever apply to you (Hopefully :laugh:).

Tournament Procedure:

Once the current bracket has been announced, players will be assigned to stations in a defined order. (A station is a setup consisting of a TV, a Wii and a copy of Brawl)

Once you have been assigned an opponent and a station the ‘Mage’s rule’ applies:
- If you arrive 2 minutes late for your set, you will receive a warning.
- If you arrive 4 minutes late for your set, you will automatically forfeit the first match of the set
- If you arrive 6 minutes late for your set, you will automatically forfeit the match completely

Once both players have arrived for their match, the procedure is as follows:

- Each player chooses their character, either player may call a double blind pick if they wish, meaning both players must choose their character’s at the same time without knowing whom the other player has chosen. This is done by each of them informing a judge/referee in secret, who then reveals the selected characters.

- At this point, any stage may be banned by either player, and each player may only ban 1 stage each.

- A random stage will be selected from the ‘Starter’ list, thus the random stage select option must be set to only those stages.

- Upon completion of the first round of the set, the following steps must be followed:

0. This is the latest point in the round where a stage ban may occur. If either player wishes to ban a stage, this is the final point in time when it may occur.

1. The loser chooses the next stage to be played on. This may be a neutral or a counter-pick. However, any stage that has been banned either by tournament rules, or by the players themselves cannot be picked by the loser, unless both players agree to it.

Further compounding step 1, is ‘Dave’s Stupid Rule’ in which the loser may not pick a stage they have previously won on against the player they are playing against in the same set. However, this too may be ignored if both players agree.

2. The winner of the previous round chooses their character.

3. The loser of the previous round chooses their character.

4. The match is played to its end.

5. Repeat steps 1 to 4 until a clear winner is found. This is found by winning best of 2 from 3 matches in a set, or best 3 from 5 in a finals set.

6. The winner must report their win to vyse. If vyse is not available, you must wait until he is.

~ General Rules

- You must not initiate a tournament match without the authorization of a Tournament director. When a round is declared to have begun, that is when you may initiate your next tournament match.

- If at any time, a player feels that their opponent is breaking a rule, they have every right to pause a match and request intervention from a Tournament Director. However, players should also be warned not to abuse this right for the purpose of stalling the progression of a set. Use your discretion, and by all means call a Tournament Director for assistance.

- Any of the four standard control set ups are fine. Do not attempt to use a modified controller. Any evidence of this occurring will result in a disqualification.

The following rules will govern any and all tournament matches, and are as follows:

All tournaments will be Double Elimination.

All matches are Stock Matches
3 Stock - 6 Minute time limit

Items
All Items are to be turned off.

In the options menu Items must be turned to 'OFF'.

Note: The frequency is turned to 'NONE' as this allows some characters to obtain items by using special moves.

Stage Legality List (THIS IS SUBJECT TO CHANGE!)

Starter

Battlefield
Final Destination
Smashville
Yoshi's Island
Castle Siege
Delfino
Halberd
Pokémon Stadium 1
Lylat Cruise
Brinstar
Corneria
Frigate Orpheon
Jungle Japes

Counter
Distant Planet
Green Hill Zone
Luigi's Mansion
Norfair
Pictochat
Pirate Ship
Rainbow Cruise
Yoshi's Island (Pipes)
Green Greens
Onett
Port Town Aero Dive
Mario Circuit
Bridge of Eldin
Shadow Moses

Banned
Skyworld
Pokémon Stadium 2
75m
Big Blue
Flat Zone 2
Hanenbow
Hyrule Temple
Mario Bros.
Mushroomy Kingdom I
Mushroomy Kingdom II
New Pork City
Rumble Falls
Spear Pillar
The Summit
Wario Ware

*Hanenbrow is a counter pick for doubles.

Banning Stages

- Each player may ban ONE stage that they do not wish to play on.
- This stage may be from either the Neutral/Random Starter list or the Counterpick List.
- The player must ban their chosen stage either before the set starts or immediately after the first game.

The Dedede Rules:

Dedede is a controversial character, capable of chainthrowing characters infinitely. granted that there is a wall. Or simply chainthrow to death granted that there is a walkoff available.

Originally proposed by CATS and Shaz this rule is designed to prevent people abusing King DeDeDe's d-throw chainthrow.

Dedede may not choose to play on stages in the following list (However, if a listed stage is banned, either by rule or by player ban, it cannot be chosen anyway):

Corneria
Bridge of Eldin
Mario's Circuit
Shadow Moses Island
Green Hill Zone
Onett

Dedede's opponent may choose to play on one of these stages if they wish.

Further Dedede restrictions!

There are also a number of character's that Dedede can chainthrow on the spot, and otherwise chainthrow without the need to chase.

If a player is reported to be abusing this, they will receive a warning, and their matches will be monitored. IF they are caught a second time by an adjudicator, they will be disqualified immediately.

Infinite Release Grab

This is banned. The most common example of this is Marth's release grab on Lucas and Ness. Performed by grabbing either of the two, releasing them by not throwing them, and grabbing them again.

Infinite release grabs on the spot in this manner are banned. However, it is possible for all characters to relase grab against a wall. If a character is caught against a wall in a release grab chain, then it is allowed up to a maximum of 200% damage. Any further than that will be considered stalling.

If a player is reported to be abusing this, they will receive a warning, and their matches will be monitored. IF they are caught a second time by an adjudicator, they will be disqualified immediately.

Infinite release grabs are allowed in Doubles as a means of trapping a single character between two characters.

MetaKnight: Infinite Dimensional Cape

Banned. Just don't do it okay guys. A technique that renders a character invisible and invincible indefinitely is banned. Not even to extend your Down + b

Ice Climbers Chain Throw

Is in! However, extending a chain-throw past 300% will be considered stalling.

Stalling

Stalling is not allowed. Stalling a match includes any method the player might use to prolong a match by placing their character in a position wherein an opponent cannot reach them. Peach's Across B for example, can be used to stall underneath stages like Battle field.

Running away would not be considered stalling however, as your ability to evade the opponent is only as good as the opponent's method of catching you.

The Following Rules have been adopted from the SBR Ruleset

* In the event of a dispute, controller ports will be selected by Rock-Paper-Scissors

* In team matches, the ports will be determined in a 1221 fashion; whoever wins the RPS will choose first, then the opposing team will get their ports, and then the teammate of the RPS winner will get the last port.

* If the timer runs out, the victor is determined first by stock and then by percentage.

* If a game ends with Bowser doing his suicide klaw and it ends in sudden death, the sudden death will be ignored and that game will count as a win for Bowser.

* You are responsible for your own controller and name tag. Any malfunctions or errors that occur are your responsibility, so bring an extra controller if possible and always check to make sure you're using the correct settings BEFORE a match is played. If a match is to be restarted due to controller functions, it must be agreed upon by both parties.

* Any action that can prevent the game from continuing (i.e., freezing, disappearing characters, game reset, etc.) will result in a forfeit of that match for the player that initiated the action. You are responsible for knowing your own character, and must be wary about accidentally triggering one of these effects.

--All else is A-OK!--

Gords

Smash Champion
It's a little short notice to plan a trip here I think.
But hey, let us know if you do!
if it wasnt my bday celebrations that wekkend i certainly would of,

and so are you going to host 5 of these events over 2009?

Paff

Smash Journeyman
1. What happens when someone is playing Dedede and Corneria is randomed for the starter stage?
2. I'm all over this like something that would be all over something else in a wittily analogous fashion.

Sirias

Smash Champion
As was said for the previous one, if you don't remember.

We can put it all together and we'll all play ourselves like last time.

No one wants to play Smash when they're busy playing WoW or CS or DotA or anything, I imagine.

Vyse

Faith, Hope, Love, Luck
BRoomer
Of course. Everybody is heading there for their competitive game of choice. What do you expect?

I see it as a venue for state smash competition. Soooooo if we all 'end up playing ourselves' it will still serve to function as I intend it to.

Vyse

Faith, Hope, Love, Luck
BRoomer
SS is this weekend!
Just give a shout in this thread if you're coming so I have a rough head count.

Paff

Smash Journeyman
I'm coming. But, I need to borrow someone else's GameCube controller, as mine are somewhere between here and Oregon at the moment. Is anyone willing to loan me one? Or an ethernet cable (for DotA)? Amazing cash prizes for anyone who does.

xXArrowXx

Smash Champion
ill probably come..
ill bring a back up gc controller if someone forgets. since i have like 4 =p

i want to play other games >.< but i cbf bring computer lol

Scrubs

Smash Lord
I'm coming. But, I need to borrow someone else's GameCube controller, as mine are somewhere between here and Oregon at the moment. Is anyone willing to loan me one? Or an ethernet cable (for DotA)? Amazing cash prizes for anyone who does.
I'll loan you a controller Paff...

No cost necessary

I might play COD4 / COD5

Vyse

Faith, Hope, Love, Luck
BRoomer
This will fail.
Me and Zac put our homosexual lives on the line to support that argument.
thx
Whether it fails or not is entirely subjective, so even if it were a success you would still claim it a failure.

This will work if we want it to work.
I'm willing to do what is necessary to make it work, so it'll work.

So you can thank my positive attitude and determination for introducing both you and Zac to life as the christian church intended.

In fact, failure at this event is an impossibility. This is a means for QLD Smash to consolidate a partnership with LanSmash in the new year. As long as that succeeds, I am happy that this event is a success.

Sirias

Smash Champion
Why do you want to know? =/
It's not like I'll ever be going to your house anyway.
:D

Actually to be honest I haven't been to Zac's house in ages.
:c
I'm afraid of making his parents thing we're a couple again. xD

D.J Cat

Smash Lord
I'll bring 3 TVs, An arse-load of powerboards etc (even though they probably supply them, just being safe) + a Wii and N64.
Can people not bringing tvs bring Wii's to cover my lack off? (People probably will/do anyway :) )

Brawl Doubles - Items and Melee Swiss singles...???? :confused::bee:
Just speculating. :embarrass:)
Bzzzt, trial/Summit for Doubles Counterpick...???
Also 32 and humid tomorrow....hope the place is well A/C-ed!

Did someone say Post Smash Sizzler????
Fantastic Idea!!!!!

Vyse

Faith, Hope, Love, Luck
BRoomer
Okay, well I'll see you all tommorow then. Doug, Sieg and I will be there quite early by the sound of it.

Top Bottom