• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

~ QLD Brawl Buddies: A QLD Brawl/Melee Tournament - Finals Vids up!

Greenstreet

Smash Champion
yer i am not sure i like all these lucarios in the tournament... kinda makin me wanna change so i can b recognised a little more...

Sirias

Smash Champion
No one knows where Wombat is, unless you know. o: Breakthrough. My logic be god.
Toowoomba. I need to go there, actually. One of my friend's parents have 2 huskies, BIG huskies, and I have to go and raep them until my nerves calm down. Yes... yes 'nerves', nothing else. ... c:
But yeah, it's cold down there. Nothx.

It's a little strange you'd think like that, Greenie. If you think about it... it doesn't matter what character you are. c: Because you'll be recognised no matter what?
Anyway, isn't Lucario like a high-ish tier or something?
Well anyway, my point is, all high-ish tier characters will be used, so there's no point changing who you use just to... iono... 'please'? everyone else? Herher. Or alternatively, be like me and just play lots of characters. c:

*Hzrd*

Smash Rookie
this isnt really a QLD tournament...its a brisbane tournament....how many people are gonna pay roughly $300 to go to a tournament that isnt of the highest standard. i know im flaming, but thats not my intention, im just giving constructive criticism. is there a way that we can branch this tournament out to a wider area of queensland? i believe the issue is a lack of funding/sponsorship. if we a had small tournies held in say, cairns, townsville, brisbane, gold coast, and mackay, in where the top 2 go to brisbane for the final matchup in where the sponsors pay for travel. THEN this would be an epic tournament.

As im aware that the brawl scene in aus isnt at the level of sponsorship and major tournaments, i think we should be focusing on getting affiliated with communities that are already of international or national major league standards. Through them we can find a footing in the competitive gaming scene.

im going to post the image from the OP at the eb stores in townsville and mail it out to try and get more people into it. we'll see what happens, as i said though, i doubt people from NQ will fly, let alone drive, to brisbane for a tournament of this scale.

Vyse

Faith, Hope, Love, Luck
BRoomer
We have at least 4 people travelling interstate to this tournament.
So it's really up to you to raise funds.

I didn't expect the turnout to swell to its current size, and I'm amazed by it. We have always called our smash tournaments 'Queensland' tournaments, presumptuous as that is, simply because for the most part, there was little to no competitive North East QLD scene.

If you feel that way about it, I could always change the name of the tournament to 'SE QLD Brawl Buddies'.

Now look. I was the first person to attempt to garner sponsorship from EB. My crewmate K-0S works at our local EB and tried to get sponsorship for us.

~ Problems:

For EB to set up as a backer of our scene, is not as simple as the local store setting up signs around the tournament. They have to apply through central office, and central office has to apply to Nintendo for the right to hold a tournament like this.

I'm sure that somehow we're already breaking some kind of law.

Heck, the Helensvale EB won't even accept posters to be put around their shop. They just aren't allowed to do it.

~What we need to do:

Our goal, then, is to prove that 'QLD' has a strong and dedicated enough base of players to justify investing the time it would take for outside companies to start sponsoring us. Right now, the GotGames.com league and this tourney are our best bets at proving the worth of QLD as a competitive smash base.

50 to 60 people is alot of people when it comes to QLD tournaments. Believe you me.

However I am appreciative of your enthusiasm towards it. Some people in my crew (Not mentioning names) are rather lacklustre towards Brawl, which pisses me off to no end. I'm glad that you are of the opinion that this tournament isn't of the standard that you'd like to see.

I'd like to see state tourneys comparable to America here in Aus one day too.

But for now we need to keep on with grassroots tourneys. To generate interest, to let the scene grow.

*Hzrd*, I read you post in the GotGames thread, and believe me, I am on your side. Keep at it, and if there's anything I can help you with, just let me know. Also, to answer a question you posed to Cao as to where he 'heard' about it.

We are the ones hearing it from him, since HE IS the one running it. He's the one who on behalf of Australia's smash community has drafted this national league.

Greenstreet

Smash Champion
its on the gold coast not brisbane yeah? lol. i am close to 300k away but i am going :) get some mates to come so they will chip in for fuel. btw cud u guys put in expression of interest another one of my mates. his name is mat with one 't'. thanks..
but yer i am the best atm with lucario so i will stick with him. he is certainly a legend. :)
sonic is heaps fun to play tho :) :) :)
go wombat.
cyas :)

Vyse

Faith, Hope, Love, Luck
BRoomer
lol Greenstreet.

We've gotta make you a shirt.
Yokai! Make a 'Wombat Crew' shirt! lol.

That's a baddass name. 'Wombat Crew'.

Greenstreet

Smash Champion
lookin back at that post there is alot of smileys goin on there. yer i am trying to brainstorm some names with the mates of mine... but yer havent come up with a good one yet.. some really really funny 1's tho..
lol
its sadly on the list :)
well i'm out for the night.
cya's l8a.

robbiesla

Smash Rookie
hey guys im rob, i usually seek brawlers over at the mywii site, got refered here by a few mates. and i will be joining the brawl.. and probably the melee. i wouldn't say im pro or anything.... but i enjoy the competitive side of smash.

is there a place im meant to sign up or is this it? O.o

can bring a wii and brawl =/

Vyse

Faith, Hope, Love, Luck
BRoomer
Hey there robbiesla!
I'm Vyse, Tournament Director of Queensland Brawl Buddies!
Nice to meet you : ]

As we've tried to stress to eveyone, this is going to be a tournament that players of any skill range should feel free to join in. This is it, you've just signed up : ]

Where abouts are you from? (If you don't mind me asking).

Yokai

Smash Ace
Wombat Crew is so pro, its already named.

You here me Greeny? Your the wombat crew, no matter what you claim.

Sieg

Smash Champion
Zac needs to name the next tourney, or me.

Someone who is random.

Maybe Kas.

Needs more random.

Vyse

Faith, Hope, Love, Luck
BRoomer
I named it something that parents would send their kids to without too much worry.

CoK 2: Bigger, Longer and Uncut just doesn't seem to fit the criteria for some reason : /
(Epic as that name is)

robbiesla

Smash Rookie
Hey there robbiesla!
I'm Vyse, Tournament Director of Queensland Brawl Buddies!
Nice to meet you : ]

As we've tried to stress to eveyone, this is going to be a tournament that players of any skill range should feel free to join in. This is it, you've just signed up : ]

Where abouts are you from? (If you don't mind me asking).
tamborine mountain ;)

Sirias

Smash Champion
*Hzrd*:

For some reason I read your post and came across you saying he's going to pay $300? Is that how much it is to fly here? That's weird. My friend said that to get here on the 20th costs $79, both ways? Even one way that's half of what you mentioned, although, true, it's 'on' the day of the tournament, so that's a bit ********. d: And I'm hoping you wouldn't stay here for 'just' the tournament.
Anyway, what's wrong with that? People go traveling for all sorts of things, and we're not asking you to come here just to play a game, maybe win maybe lose (if you win at least you get prize money?), and that's it. You're supposed to come here to sight see as well. And perhaps meet up with people and do some other crud?
When I went to Sydney with the guys here I used up $500 (in 1 week) and we didn't even fly (plane tickets etc, though drive here takes like 18 hours from Cairns (according to my friend)). That was for a tournament I came 4th in (I think? 1 place away from getting money?). But I didn't go there, hang around playing Smash all the time, and then when it was over go back home and be all like: "Man that was a waste of my money." Although I 'did' want to buy clothes... but anyway. But I did other things as well with people I hadn't met before (or had, but you know, seeing them once every 'ages' is always a good time.)
Point is, how it was before, with Melee, without Wi-fi, people would travel for the 'experience', not just for... Smash, for a game, I think just a waste of time and money. Come here to do something else as well? C: Plus any of us could host you so you don't have to pay for staying somewhere, that's a load off.
ALTHOUGH, admittedly, there's nothing (or well not much) to do here. d:

Anyway. That was a rant. Thanks. c:

... BRAWL IS GAY. Yay for not spam. Related to Smash.
HOW UNNECESSARY ARE MY POSTS?!
VERY.

No offense intended, either, Hzrd.
Just saying, money's there to be spent, you don't get so many chances to come in, play games with everyone, have a good time, meet new people, and all that. Not necessarily once in a lifetime, but sure as heck not very often.
At least, not with me. d: Dunno about you guys, I'm not hardcore popular in other states/countries.

*Hzrd*

Smash Rookie
Ok nice to see someone read my post :p dw vyse i read your reply aswell.

my family lives in brisbane and in melbourne dude, your preaching to a local. ive spent my entire life in bris, i only moved to townsville about 6 months ago. i love brisbane, but i love NQ aswell. so i know what there is to do in brisbane (which for me revolves around the bunker and watching my bro and his best mate compete in Counter strike (my bros best mate was in f-zero the aus rep for cs a.k.a the #1 team for cs in aus)

anyway, im thinking im going to fly down to visit my family and it will just coincide with the tourny so that i can meet you nice blokes and give ya's a run for yo money. (SHOW ME THE MONEY!!!!)

anyway, i appreciate the input, and your right, if money permits ill fly down and "spend time with my dad"....

whats the date for it again?

p.s. i have to put some money into my car, and that comes before smash tourney's unfortunately. after all making sure my main mode of transport is on the road, which means getting to work to make money, comes before kick *** brawlers like yourselves :p

Yokai

Smash Ace
HZRD, I can see your money Dilemma, and I do hope that you find a good scene in NQLD. But yeah, we have to go with the concentration of people geographically, thats all.

*Hzrd*

Smash Rookie
Yokai - i understand, and thats why i posted a thread titled NQ brawlers unite.

In other news im going to request time off for the thursday 25th and friday 26th. Who would be able to host me? this would be somewhere to sleep/transport to the tournament/some friendly matches/develop a face to face standing with the community.

also is this in brisbane or the gold coast, if its at the gold coast than ill probly spend a the thursday night in brisbane, the friday night at someones house in the gold coast and then back to bris saturday night or sunday morning. so if it is at the gc who could host me for the friday and saturday night? or if its in bris who could pick me up and drop me off from my dads place?

p.s.This thread needs to be stickied.... as its a tournament thing and not just a random thread.

p.p.s. Yokai - could i join the ward? i dont know what it involves but i saw your sig and id love to join an exclusive brawl community...if thats what your sig is.

Greenstreet

Smash Champion
lol we will see ay. it is a good inside joke. if u make a shirt tho i'll wear it lol

Sirias

Smash Champion
Lol, preaching.
I'm sorry for not being able to know that your family lives in Melbourne and Brisbane. Olol. I'll try to read your mind some more before I preach some more. <3
I still wub you, tho. <33

I was imagining something would come up, in that case, it's up to you anyway with what you're doing, if you want to come down or not. But as you said you'll come down if your money doesn't eat itself. Money tends to do that. At least mine does.
I'd imagine you have other commitments (as you say your car (and perhaps anything else that might come up from now till the tournament)) so it's really if you have time/money (wow I know my stuff... as I'm sure everyone else does - pointless~) .
Otherwise try make a scene up there. c: I'm sure that there are people up there somewhere that play it. It's taken a while for the QLD (or Brisbane/Gold Coast) scene to... pick up. But that was with Melee. Random new people are sprouting from everywhere thanks to Brawl. That's a good thing, I think. d:
Anyway, my point wasn't only for sight-seeing it was also to meet up with new people and to muck around with them. So even if you're a local it doesn't mean you've met everyone here. Would be 'really' scary if you have. d:

True about the sticky. Oh well, it's usually up there in the newly posted on threads anyway.
And I can't host... funnily enough, even though I said people could. I just remembered a friend from mine up in Cairns is coming down to stay with me. Or maybe he'll rent a hotel for us like last time. Hmm...
Point is, funny that, he's from NQLD too and he's coming down around the tournament time. o: Weird.

The date is the 20th, I think.
And orororo, that's cruel. I can only imagine the bunny ears (quotation marks) make it relatively sarcastic about meeting up with your daddie. :c

James. Don't call me Sirias! WHAT'S WRONG WITH YOU!
Oh, to everyone new as well, if they read this.
Don't call me Sirias call me Kas. Thxthx. <3

Edit:

In relation to 'Ward' - you should make a crew up there if there are enough people. Or alternatively make a crew for all the people not situated in Brisbane/Gold Coast - while still being in QLD of course, lol.

Oh, and... is 'TECH' still the Brisbane crew? I mean, wasn't TECH originally named that 'cause Melee was so... uh, technical? Lol.
What now? Brawl has no tech, or rather, not much. More 'mind games' isn't it? Mind games son. MGS. Metal Gear Solid. Snake. <3 Yay~
TECH still sounds kool, though. Psyche. If only your alias wasn't Syke, Zac, you ***.

*Hzrd*

Smash Rookie
Kas - when i started reading your reply i was getting angry cause you were flaming, and then you cooled down and i was like, sweeeeet. Also my dad does live in brisbane, i wasnt refering to some sick "who's your daddy" relationship lol.

anyway yeah, if anyone reads my post and can offer a place to crash for me, or alternatively if someones getting a hotel room for a bunch of people, can they let me know please. also the banner on the OP says the date is the 27th.

Sirias

Smash Champion
Naw, I don't intentionally 'flame' people (unless you're from America).
I was just being a dork. c: Thankfully you're not the type to explode in my face like some people.
Gad D@MN all my innuendos are horrible.

And yeah, I know, I wasn't saying you were in a sick relationship thing, I was just saying, you're making it out that you're using the excuse of coming down to see your dad, when you won't be (or well not 'primarily'). d: At least that's how I read it as.

The fock, it does too. Let me check:
Well THAT WAS LUCKY.
It is on the 27th.
Crud, I hope this doesn't overlay with what I've got planned. Bah.

By the way, is the meet on at Nick's 'today'?

And we seriously need to update the first page on the QLD thread.
CHRIS! AMATERASU! Give me Bryce's password, you fail at updating! D: <
And we need more details, or more 'sexier' laid out details, it's so ugly, and Bryce is too busy.
Why did he opt to be the creator and yet he's one of the busiest. THE FOOL.

*Hzrd*

Smash Rookie
Well yeah ill c about what days i can get off and ill try and make it there for the tourney. if i cant though, ill definately be in the gotgame's one FOR SURE!!!!

dw man, im not american, and im not gonna explode in your face :p

Greenstreet

Smash Champion
i'm sure if u doorknocked for fundraising many ppl wud understand ur plight and donate money..
well...
maybe u mite get a few elderly ppl hu are disoriented and some millionaires hu will throw away money to any1.

Vyse

Faith, Hope, Love, Luck
BRoomer
Talked to Maree the centre manager in person today.
Took some photos of the place which I'll upload soonish.

Also, I have a few things bugging me:

1. Power Sources:
There's plenty of outlets, but I'm still worried about a power surge occurring. We might have to resort to turning off the air conditioning, lights and fans.

Sieg said he's got a whole bunch of surge protectors, but I think we need something more reliable. Like a grounding box, of some description. I might have to look at buying/renting/borrowing one.

2. Covering my behind:
Not covering it from Sirias.

What I mean is, public liability. I have no idea how many people are just going to walk in the front door on the day. What's more somebody could fall over and break their arm, or a power surge COULD happen and wipe out five Wiis and TVs permanently.

I don't know if I really have to worry about this happening. But I have nothing protecting me in the event that something like this happens. Like, Maree was telling me that I should consider some kind of insurance, but the thing is, this is no different to just organizing a LAN there. I'm sure I don't need to worry, but there's always that niggling thought something could happen.

Maybe I should make people sign indemnity forms when they enter?
lol.

Sirias

Smash Champion
If you're like that then I guess you're like Bob (Peter / DJ Cat). He just chose to be with TECH... I think that was because we held meets a lot more regularly than we do now. Funnily enough the roles have switched.
Depends on who you wanna hang around more. It doesn't 'really' matter until you get into the Crew Battle, which isn't very often. d:
TECH is a lot gayer than Ward. Gay as in homosexual.
If only Ryan was in TECH, then I think we'd be the epitome of gay.

Hahah, I was only joking about the American thing.
Just a while ago, in the last tournament we held, there were these Americans that started flaming us, so I just said lots of stupid things to them that was like completely irrelevant to anything.

I dunno about doorknocking...
You could always say: "It's for Halloween." And hope they give you lots of candy, and then you could sell that candy off. c:

Edit:

Stupid people stop posting before me.

I guess there are no more openings. Sorry. c:
Zac's covering them all with his shutty duck full of scatty crup.

As far as 'breaking their arms', I really doubt people would do that, unless you're going to 'literally' jump off buildings/chairs/tables or anything like that, but I'm 'QUITE' certain people aren't that ********. And even if they did I don't think they'd just off a high enough ground to break anything. Save their nose, if, for some godly reason, they decide to jump and land face first.
And you just said that you don't cover your bum from me. Does that mean there's an opening? <3

I don't think we need air-con on anyway. Fans we don't need either, for sure. And lights don't need to be turned on until like past 6. That being said - how often are power surges?

Vyse

Faith, Hope, Love, Luck
BRoomer
Does that mean there's an opening? <3
No, there most certainly is not.
: P

The Venue

It features plenty of tables and chairs. A courtyard out back for people with energy to burn. Toilets for both Males and Females, which are always kept in good supply of toilet paper I'm told. A kitchen with a fridge. Although I'm not allowing food inside >.>

---

This is the road sign you'll see. Although this shot is from the reverse angle, as you'll be on the other side of the road to be looking at it from this side when you're driving.

---

Venue from the outside.

---

The park nearby where we'll have a barbeque lunch.

And a playground : 3

Top Bottom