• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Puzzle League/Panel De Pon General (Former SSB4 Lip Support Thread)

Kawai nic

Smash Apprentice
This is what I imagined :

After the Smash logo appeared behind the swords and the flames, a nature plain can be seen, similar to the one where we meet Duck Hunt. Mario, Peach, Kirby, Yoshi, Pikachu, Olimar, Villager and Duck Hunt are walking merrily. Suddenly, the group is under a big shadow. They lift their head up and a big block can be seen falling on them. The block fall in the ground and Mario dodge it, the group dodge the other blocks that falls, and are identic to the Puzzle League/Panel de Pon blocks. Yoshi and Pikachu have a mind click, likely because they remember these blocks. They two dash forward, hitting the blocks falling, Kirby make a great jump and change him into the pink big block from the same game to give off the block in the land. Mario comes, Yoshi let him jump in his back, and Mario make a second jump to punch a star block. The block fall between two identic, that makes them diseappear. Mario continue to run, but see a very huge shadow and a giant block overhead him and dodge it just before it fall on the land. Peach beckons the big block and everyone is looking at this, it turns off to five heart blocks, that diseappear and release a light, that is flying for many seconds and after falls in the land and makes a flash. After the flash, a girl is floating in the air, and falls in the ground. The camera goes to her head, and she returns to reveal her. And here appears that message :

Lip
flowers it up

The gameplay video starts.

After the end, Olimar look at Lip making a trick that makes fairy dust fall in the ground and make growing three Pikmin. Olimar pick them and one of them clap Lip's hand.

POKEMANSPIKA

Smash Master
NNID
POKEMANSPIKA
I've uploaded a Fighter Ballot video explaining why Lip should join the battle:
Video was good but I feel like it should be less bias based. Literally the last reason is basically I want her in because I like her series. I like Crash Bandicoot and would like him in Smash but he won't make it in. Bring up valid reasons for her inclusion, not what's stopping her. Also you should probably say something like, "Her moveset would be based on the Puzzle League's gameplay".

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
Is it weird of me to say that one of the reasons I want to see Lip and Panel de Pon come back (hopefully through SSB4) is because of the merchandising opportunities? It seems like the kind of series that'd be an easy sell with the 6-12-year-old girl demographic, with its cute characters and all.

Of course, the biggest reason is that Lip is a cutie-pie and I really want to see her used more.

Last edited:

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Actually, many of the cute animes and stuff are marketed towards boys. Why are the majority of MLP and Touhou fans male, have you ever wondered?

:231:

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Actually, many of the cute animes and stuff are marketed towards boys. Why are the majority of MLP and Touhou fans male, have you ever wondered?

To be fair, MLP wasn't ORIGINALLY targeting a male demographic, it just turned out that a lot of males ended up liking the show, then they targeted a general audience after that.

Kawai nic

Smash Apprentice
When I was a kid, I watched a lot of Maho Shojo anime, like Sailor Moon, Card Captor Sakura, Ojamajo Doremi, and my favorite of all : Studio Ghibli's Kiki's Delivery Service <3

TheWolfBunny

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Patrick
3DS FC
2320-6699-6288
All right, so with E3 coming around the corner next month, how would you react and respond if Lip was to be announced as DLC?
I would be like:
THANK YOU, SAKURAI! LIP FINALLY DESERVED IT!
I hope Intelligent Systems never abandons Puzzle League ever again!!!!!

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
To be fair, MLP wasn't ORIGINALLY targeting a male demographic, it just turned out that a lot of males ended up liking the show, then they targeted a general audience after that.
The first My Little Pony series was actually aimed at a general audience too. It had female main characters and it was definitely fluffy and cutesy, but there were enough action/adventure oriented episodes to keep the boys' attention too. In that way it's a lot like Friendship is Magic.

That's the best angle for a Panel de Pon revival to take, in my opinion. It'd show that just because the main characters are a bunch of adorable fairies, that doesn't mean it can't tell an exciting, engaging story. I'm visualizing something like Paper Mario or Kid Icarus Uprising, a game/manga/anime that embraces the light-heartedness of the setting and characters, while at the same time poking gentle fun at it and telling a legitimately interesting and maybe even dark story in the meantime.

J04KlM

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Pichu4SSB4
3DS FC
4940-5417-1674
My recreation of Lip i made in a very entertaining Anime software i like to use from time to time.

I hope you guys like it, i can imagine this design for her would be somewhere within what Nintendo could have gone with when giving her a revamped redesign. Don't ya'll think?

WalkOnARainbow

Smash Cadet
It's difficult making a proper 3D Lip if there is no real official front and side view artwork of her anywhere. Oh well, guess I'll have to do with what I can find....

3D Lip is on the way guys. c:
Wow, are you making a 3D model version thing of Lip? That's amazing!

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Wow, are you making a 3D model version thing of Lip? That's amazing!
Mhmm. By the way, here's my current progress so far.
I'm halfway there with her base model. Just need to finish off her front hair and lower half and then I can go over to applying her textures. Is it looking alright so far?

By the way, I think I may want to base her model off this figurine of hers. Is that alright?

Last edited:

WalkOnARainbow

Smash Cadet
Wow, that's amazing of you! I'm very amazed and impressed. I wish you the best of luck.

I wish I was good at making CG. Maybe someday it could be used to make a game or a popular mod, too.
And that would raise lots of awareness for Lip.

Well I think that's really neat and you're really talented. I think that figurine looks great and would be a really nice CG thing if she looked like that. I'm looking forward to how it turns out.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Wow, that's amazing of you! I'm very amazed and impressed. I wish you the best of luck.

I wish I was good at making CG. Maybe someday it could be used to make a game or a popular mod, too.
And that would raise lots of awareness for Lip.

Well I think that's really neat and you're really talented. I think that figurine looks great and would be a really nice CG thing if she looked like that. I'm looking forward to how it turns out.
Thanks, I really appreciate that. I'm still just a rookie 3D modeler though. This is only my second character model I've worked on so far. ^^

And sure, I think it looks lovely too. Guess I might do some edits to make her model match the figure better then. :)

Last edited:

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
I still think that figurine is exactly how Lip would look if she gets in SSB4.

Your model work is already looking adorable Villager. ^^

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
Mhmm. By the way, here's my current progress so far.
I'm halfway there with her base model. Just need to finish off her front hair and lower half and then I can go over to applying her textures. Is it looking alright so far?

By the way, I think I may want to base her model off this figurine of hers. Is that alright?
Looks great! That hair must've been an experience ahaha~ >w<

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
I still think that figurine is exactly how Lip would look if she gets in SSB4.

Your model work is already looking adorable Villager. ^^
Yeah I think she would look something like that too if she where to become a playable character, hence why I might want to try basing her model off of that.

And thanks. I hope it turns out well in the end as well. ^^
Looks great! That hair must've been an experience ahaha~ >w<
Thanks! Yeah. Although I think the front part of her hair is going to be an even bigger experience.... ^^
I managed to do Flora's curl (although I don't remember how I did it, but I did it....) So Lip's curl should hopefully be manageable too.... ^^;

I do hope I made her ponytail right enough so that it can bend like it should.

Last edited:

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
Speaking of which, I think her ponytail should be a bit longer and thicker. It looks a bit short to me as it is.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Speaking of which, I think her ponytail should be a bit longer and thicker. It looks a bit short to me as it is.
Yeah that's what I'm kinda worried about. I guess I might take a closer look at some of her artwork and see if I can find anything that depicts her ponytail as straight as possible and try to determine a good length and thickness based off that.

Last edited:

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
The model is shaping up nicely. :)

Well, 3D printers are a thing now. Maybe in about 5-10 years , we will be able download and print figures. :p

Last edited:

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
Yeah that's what I'm kinda worried about. I guess I might take a closer look at some of her artwork and see if I can find anything that depicts her ponytail as straight as possible and try to determine a good length and thickness based off that.
It's about twice the length of both of her arms put together from what I can glean from her official artwork. It starts about three times as thick as one of her arms but tapers off to about 3/4. The tuft at the end is about as tall as her body and seems to be around half as wide.

Of course, it's hair, so it's not like it's going to stay 100% consistent in shape.

Last edited:

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
It'd be adorable if, instead of getting grabbed by the shoulder like most other female characters in the game, Lip gets grabbed by the ponytail.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
It'd be adorable if, instead of getting grabbed by the shoulder like most other female characters in the game, Lip gets grabbed by the ponytail.
Getting grabbed by the hair is actually more painful, you know. :urg: It would be more comical, I guess, but I don't see anything adorable. :p

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
Getting grabbed by the hair is actually more painful, you know. :urg: It would be more comical, I guess, but I don't see anything adorable. :p

I want to see Lip grabbing her opponent with her ponytail and slamming them into the ground like Cerebella's Ultimate Showstopper in Skullgirls.

Tell me that would not be hype as all hell.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
I want to see Lip grabbing her opponent with her ponytail and slamming them into the ground like Cerebella's Ultimate Showstopper in Skullgirls.

Tell me that would not be hype as all hell.
Aren't we entering Dixie's territory here? :p

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
It's about twice the length of both of her arms put together from what I can glean from her official artwork. It starts about three times as thick as one of her arms but tapers off to about 3/4. The tuft at the end is about as tall as her body and seems to be around half as wide.

Of course, it's hair, so it's not like it's going to stay 100% consistent in shape.
I'll see how it will turn out. ^^

Kinda struggling with her curl though.... :/

Anyway, besides that just her legs are left, then I might do some fine tuning to her model and then its over to texturing her. c:

bksbestbwoy

Smash Lord
NNID
AzureJay89
3DS FC
4828-5479-7054
Switch FC
2162-7423-7143
Commenting on a bunch of things while running through my favorite character support threads in between bouts of studying for finals/finishing assignments:

@Valkyrie's concept for the trailer is so spot on it hurts that we can't just do something like that ourselves for a video. We definitely need to have segments of Lip vs. Dr. Mario, Yoshi and Pikachu though just to drive home that angle of "every time you played Tetris Attack/Pokemon Puzzle League, you were playing her game without realizing. Also Dr. Mario & Lip were once prominently featured as heads of the Nintendo Puzzle League."

On a bit of a tangent, do we have any artists or connections to artists who would be able to do us a solid and make something like this for our girl? It feels like Lip has enough going for her as an original fighter and a character to represent a specific part of Nintendo's heritage, but she just doesn't get enough spotlight or something like a distinct look/move set to immediately call to herself to people's minds. I am working with some people on something similar for Takamaru mostly because of devotion to the character shown by some friends/acquaintances with art connections and chops in Japanese elsewhere, but I'd try to get something started for my big three (Takamaru, Lip & Mike Jones) if enough people could help reach out and get some guys interested in such a project.

All I can do is move set and animation descriptions/brainstorming though. Maybe some light management.

bksbestbwoy

Smash Lord
NNID
AzureJay89
3DS FC
4828-5479-7054
Switch FC
2162-7423-7143
Erm, I don't want Lip because she's a loli, that just has too many negative connotations on top of selling the concept of the character short.

I want Lip because puzzle game mechanics (specifically Panel de Pon's controlled flipping and switching panel mechanics) on a fighter in a game predominantly about positioning and spacing sounds immensely entertaining. Her history also gives a lot to work with.

Top Bottom