• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Puzzle League/Panel De Pon General (Former SSB4 Lip Support Thread)

D

Deleted member

I tried looking for them but I got lip all up in my title screen
Here, straight from the emulator itself, three different versions. One complete set, one with clouds missing and one that is just te clouds itself, for you to assemble the pic however you want:

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
Updated the support list and the art with some recent ones posted here. You can always tell me if I missed the past artwork.

Quite damn happy that support keeps going strong here... perhaps, I think it's time for us to gather up together and think new ways to make Lip's support and appeal more wide around these places. We have done a plenty via trying to post in Twitter, Tumblr partially and even Facebook already, so let's take it to a new level!

TheWolfBunny

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Patrick
3DS FC
2320-6699-6288
If there were ever new Panel de Pon games for Wii U and 3DS to celebrate Lip's Smash debut, in addition to regular 2D playfields (6x12) and regular 3D playfields (18x12), they'd have to add special playfields to either system to make them unique, for Endless Mode, Time Trial, and I want this to really happen, 2-8 player/CPU VS. Mode (There can also be team battles, like for example 2-vs-2-vs-2-vs-2, 4-vs.4, 2-vs.-2, 3-vs.-3, I'D LOVE IT!):
Nintendo 3DS:
Petit Playfield: Play with a 6x9 playfield. You may remember this from the Game Boy version of Tetris Attack and Pokemon Puzzle Challenge.
3D Petit Playfield: Play with a scrolling 18x9 cylinder playfield.

Wii U:
Ultra Playfield: Play with a gigantic 6x24 playfield! Size does matter!
3D Ultra Playfield: Play with a big bad 18x24 scrolling playfield! Pure crazy!!!

And here's some new features that need to happen in new Puzzle Leagues:

1: For a Wii U Panel de Pon,, there should be online multiplayer via Nintendo Network (It should also be on the 3DS), a 32-128 tournament mode, even with CPUs (Fight with masters online), and the badass-est thing of all badass things for that, SNES controller compatibility via a USB adapter, for those that have mastered Tetris Attack / Panel de Pon.

2: In addition to all seven of the blocks from past Puzzle League titles, several new ones should be added for a new panel toggling feature (The minimum amount of panels is 3).

3: What if there was amiibo support? What would amiibos do in Panel de Pon? Well, you will unlock new amiibo Panels. amiibo Panels feature the symbols of the Super Smash Bros. fighters you see in Smash 4. You'll need one amiibo figure per franchise to gain access to use a new amiibo Panel (Example: Robin from Fire Emblem). You'll need three amiibo figures representing three different franchises to start your amiibo Panel set. They can be usable for all the modes as players please. But for online multiplayer... I think it'll be based on player votes. As a bonus which will spice up the competition, if you perform Combos and Chains with amiibo Panels in VS. Mode, you'll send special themed garbage blocks rather than sending ones representing your player color (Example: Perform a Combo or a Chain with Yoshi panels, and you'll send Yoshi-themed garbage blocks to your opponents). Remember, once you unlock amiibo Panels, they’ll stay permanently unlocked related to the Mii Racing Suits in Mario Kart 8. Even if your amiibo has Super Smash Bros. data, or data containing another Nintendo title, you will still get amiibo Panels regardless.

4: Speaking of player colors, here is the list of colors of the VS. Mode playfields if there ever was an 8-Player Panel De Pon:
Player 1: Blue
Player 2: Red
Player 3: Green
Player 4: Yellow
Player 5: Cyan
Player 6: Orange
Player 7: Slate
Player 8: Purple
In a Team VS. Mode Battle, the team colors that players can select are blue, red, green, and yellow, even if they’re battling with CPU-controlled opponents as team members.

5: Add Miis to the Puzzle League! Give them your own voice clips with the mic on the 3DS and on the Wii U GamePad! You can even battle people with your Mii online!

6: The 6-digit score cap from past Puzzle League games should be no more. In addition to that, Panel de Pon should add a special 1,000,000-Point Challenge Mode where you have to collect 1 million points to win. If you do, what do you think the prize should be? Special panels or a trophy with your name on it?

I'm sorry for such a long post, I mean... it's just, I already have all of the US games of Puzzle League, and mastered them LIKE A BOSS, so I'm really up for some new Puzzle League games! (As long as they have the Exploding Lift mechanic, where you raise the stack whilst blocks are exploding. I LOVE that mechanic.)

Last edited:

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
Don't mean to pry, but could you add my "The Year of Lip" and "Vote for Lip" banners to the OP? Please? :0

Also, updating my username on the support list would be nice. ^^"
A lot supporters I keep missing... yipe...

I checked your banners, but then noticed that Lip was stretched up bad quality. So I decided to put her in the lossless format.

I also updated some of the aesthetics to reflect her series more (so it looks less like plastered "Year of ___-poster due having the empthy "block" intact)

Hope you don't mind. I just messed around with Photoshop, that's all.

J04KlM

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Pichu4SSB4
3DS FC
4940-5417-1674
A lot supporters I keep missing... yipe...

I checked your banners, but then noticed that Lip was stretched up bad quality. So I decided to put her in the lossless format.

I also updated some of the aesthetics to reflect her series more (so it looks less like plastered "Year of ___-poster due having the empthy "block" intact)

Hope you don't mind. I just messed around with Photoshop, that's all.
You made it leaps and bounds better, looks great. I really wanted the Lip sprite to look that smooth when i re sized it, but you did the job for me. Thanks! :D

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
You made it leaps and bounds better, looks great. I really wanted the Lip sprite to look that smooth when i re sized it, but you did the job for me. Thanks! :D
Thanks very much!

On resizing sprites properly, you have to change the the Image Mode to "Indexed Color" via Image > Mode > Indexed Color (mostly you'd have RGB Color as a default.).

TheWolfBunny

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Patrick
3DS FC
2320-6699-6288
Here's what I really think Intelligent Systems should do. In Puzzle League for Wii U and Nintendo 3DS, when you first start the game, all six shape panels, will be playable at the start, whilst 20 new ones are purchasable. Panels can be toggled on and off, but the minimum amount of panel colors is 3 like I said before. There should be a new Puzzle Shop in which you can buy unlockable content at the shop with Puzzle Coins, in which you earn for every battle you end, and for how much time you spend in Endless Mode, and other achievements. The ! panel should be one of the Item Panels in which you can toggle on and off, and how frequent that they will appear to match three or more during battle.

The panels are as follows from left to right:

Starter Panels:
Circle (Green)
Diamond (Purple)
Heart (Red)
Star (Yellow)
Triangle (Cyan)
Upside-Down Triangle (Blue)

Now for the unlockable panels, which are all newcomers to the Puzzle League, and can be purchased at the Puzzle Shop, and believe it or not, I created all 20 of them:
Quartefoil (Sage)
Lightning Bolt (Creme)
Teardrop (Navy Blue)
Crescent Moon (Orange)
Plus Cross (White)
Club (Pink)
Spade (Black)
Six-Petal Flower (Lime Green)
Hexagon (Magenta)
Snowflake (Baby Blue)
Butterfly (Lavender)
X (Burgundy)
Square (Peach)
Diamond (Light Pink)
Donut Circle (Brown)
Leaf (Light Green)
King's Crown (Silver Grey)
Pentagon (Dark Green)
Flame (Orange Red)
Exalt (Pale Blue)

If you want to use all 26 of these, by taking this sprite sheet or by to recreate them in beautiful high-definition graphics, for your own challenging Puzzle League, take them as you may!
But don't forget to credit that I made this special panel set for those that mastered Puzzle League!

Last edited:

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
Your graphics are nice, but I think the reason the games have never had more than six panel designs is for game balance purposes. The panels are generated randomly or pseudo-randomly, and the possibility of an unwinnable (or nearly so) scenario coming up with a whole 26 different panel designs is, I think, a bit higher than they'd like.

TheWolfBunny

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Patrick
3DS FC
2320-6699-6288
Your graphics are nice, but I think the reason the games have never had more than six panel designs is for game balance purposes. The panels are generated randomly or pseudo-randomly, and the possibility of an unwinnable (or nearly so) scenario coming up with a whole 26 different panel designs is, I think, a bit higher than they'd like.
All 26 of the panel designs are for those that mastered the past Puzzle League games. Players don't have turn them all at once.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
I like the idea of having it so that there's many multiple types of panels you can toggle on and off. I think that's a neat idea. And you can decide how many tiles you want to play with.

POKEMANSPIKA

Smash Master
NNID
POKEMANSPIKA
How do you guys think Lip's reveal will play out (if she gets in)
I honestly don't know much about the character and I was thinking about how the characters I wanted would do in their reveals

TheWolfBunny

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Patrick
3DS FC
2320-6699-6288
How do you guys think Lip's reveal will play out (if she gets in)
I honestly don't know much about the character and I was thinking about how the characters I wanted would do in their reveals
First of all, if she is announced at E3, here's how it should work, for my part:
I can imagine Lip crying with a 20th birthday cake on a table having all of the candles lit out by themselves acknowledging the sad fact that no one knows or loves Panel de Pon / Puzzle League anymore. Yoshi and Pikachu come in to cheer her up. Yoshi gives Lip her stick as an apology for replacing her in Tetris Attack, and Pikachu hands her the invitation to join the fight.

How's that? This is to show a forgotten character like Lip some sympathy.

Last edited:

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
I attempted to colour the image myself using Illustrator. I was essentially fumbling my way around the program before I got the hang of it. The interface is far from noob-friendly.

How is it?

:231:

Last edited:

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
I wrote up a reveal trailer for her a while ago, but I'm not sure if it would work for her since the DLC reveal trailers seem to be eschewing original CGI animation in favor of in-game footage. With that in mind, though, I could easily cook something up that doesn't violate the "no original animation" rule.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
I wrote up a reveal trailer for her a while ago, but I'm not sure if it would work for her since the DLC reveal trailers seem to be eschewing original CGI animation in favor of in-game footage. With that in mind, though, I could easily cook something up that doesn't violate the "no original animation" rule.
I disagree with this. As far as I'm concerned, we don't have enough information to make this claim, because both characters that had non-CGI trailers....

Were veteran DLC characters. Honestly, I think newcomers could easily get fully new CG trailers.

Kawai nic

Smash Apprentice
Here's what I really think Intelligent Systems should do. In Puzzle League for Wii U and Nintendo 3DS, when you first start the game, all six shape panels, will be playable at the start, whilst 20 new ones are purchasable. Panels can be toggled on and off, but the minimum amount of panel colors is 3 like I said before. There should be a new Puzzle Shop in which you can buy unlockable content at the shop with Puzzle Coins, in which you earn for every battle you end, and for how much time you spend in Endless Mode, and other achievements. The ! panel should be one of the Item Panels in which you can toggle on and off, and how frequent that they will appear to match three or more during battle.

The panels are as follows from left to right:

Starter Panels:
Circle (Green)
Diamond (Purple)
Heart (Red)
Star (Yellow)
Triangle (Cyan)
Upside-Down Triangle (Blue)

Now for the unlockable panels, which are all newcomers to the Puzzle League, and can be purchased at the Puzzle Shop, and believe it or not, I created all 20 of them:
Quartefoil (Sage)
Lightning Bolt (Creme)
Teardrop (Navy Blue)
Crescent Moon (Orange)
Plus Cross (White)
Club (Pink)
Spade (Black)
Six-Petal Flower (Lime Green)
Hexagon (Magenta)
Snowflake (Baby Blue)
Butterfly (Lavender)
X (Burgundy)
Square (Peach)
Diamond (Light Pink)
Donut Circle (Brown)
Leaf (Light Green)
King's Crown (Silver Grey)
Pentagon (Dark Green)
Flame (Orange Red)
Exalt (Pale Blue)

If you want to use all 26 of these, by taking this sprite sheet or by to recreate them in beautiful high-definition graphics, for your own challenging Puzzle League, take them as you may!
But don't forget to credit that I made this special panel set for those that mastered Puzzle League!
It could even make a special animation to the opponent in VS Mode :
Flame : Burn the opponent
Snowflake : Freeze her
Teardrop : Splash her
Leaf : Bury her under tons of leaves
Lightning Bolt : Electrocute her
etc...

First of all, if she is announced at E3, here's how it should work, for my part:
I can imagine Lip crying with a 20th birthday cake on a table having all of the candles lit out by themselves acknowledging the sad fact that no one knows or loves Panel de Pon / Puzzle League anymore. Yoshi and Pikachu come in to cheer her up. Yoshi gives Lip her stick as an apology for replacing her in Tetris Attack, and Pikachu hands her the invitation to join the fight.

It could be lovable ! :love:

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
It's difficult making a proper 3D Lip if there is no real official front and side view artwork of her anywhere. Oh well, guess I'll have to do with what I can find....

3D Lip is on the way guys. c:

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926

Mixed feelings... While it would definitely earn Lip a ton of woobie points, especially with people who wouldn't otherwise care about her, Nintendo doesn't really portray its more obscure characters as being upset or bitter about it. Pit just came right back and started kicking butt as usual, and even the first chapter of Uprising was more "It's great to be back!" and less "Well, it's about time..." When he showed up, Little Mac was training with Doc like nothing had happened. The beginning of Duck Hunt's trailer is the same as in the NES game, so clearly the dog is happy as long as there are people who play it and miss a duck or two. With that in mind it's a bit hard to imagine Lip, especially with her cuteness and cheerfulness, being too upset (and with the Virtual Console and everything...).

It's difficult making a proper 3D Lip if there is no real official front and side view artwork of her anywhere. Oh well, guess I'll have to do with what I can find....

3D Lip is on the way guys. c:
There is actually an official front-view artwork:

Last edited:

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
Nope, in artwork in and out of the game, Lip is only drawn either facing the screen or at a three-quarters angle to the left. Furil I'm not so sure about, but she probably doesn't have any side views either (even then, I don't think she'd be the best frame of reference because her design is subtly different from Lip's in many ways).

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Nope, in artwork in and out of the game, Lip is only drawn either facing the screen or at a three-quarters angle to the left. Furil I'm not so sure about, but she probably doesn't have any side views either (even then, I don't think she'd be the best frame of reference because her design is subtly different from Lip's in many ways).
I thought I'd might use her at least for the general head shape if she at least has a side view. If I recall correctly, Furil only has a different hair style, a different shaped skirt and I think some extra accessories different from Lip if I remember right. I'll have to check again I guess....

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
Almost right. Furil has curly hair instead of straight like Lip, she doesn't wear beads in her ponytail, her dress has two vertical stripes on it running down the front, her sleeve poofies are smaller, and where Lip has plain flowers (possibly artificial? then again, she is a flower fairy), Furil has more traditional blue orb brooches with a flower-shaped marking on them. Lip and Furil have basically the same skirt, though.

PanelDePon

Smash Rookie
Could I please added to the list of supporters as well? I've been on this thread countless ties and I'm convinced that Lip HAS to be in Smash Bros.

TheWolfBunny

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Patrick
3DS FC
2320-6699-6288
Mixed feelings... While it would definitely earn Lip a ton of woobie points, especially with people who wouldn't otherwise care about her, Nintendo doesn't really portray its more obscure characters as being upset or bitter about it. Pit just came right back and started kicking butt as usual, and even the first chapter of Uprising was more "It's great to be back!" and less "Well, it's about time..." When he showed up, Little Mac was training with Doc like nothing had happened. The beginning of Duck Hunt's trailer is the same as in the NES game, so clearly the dog is happy as long as there are people who play it and miss a duck or two. With that in mind it's a bit hard to imagine Lip, especially with her cuteness and cheerfulness, being too upset (and with the Virtual Console and everything...).
Of all four forgotten characters, what you said about Pit, Little Mac, and Duck Hunt was true, but out of all four, Lip here is the most forgotten character and maybe deserves a reveal trailer that shows love and sympathy to a forgotten character who only appeared in Japan, not only because she isn't remembered well these days, but to show how much people care for the Panel de Pon / Puzzle League series. I care about the series the most because... I miss it.

Oh, and by the way, I have made a third campaign picture, to help Lip get in the game!

Last edited:

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
I'd point to Takamaru as an even more obscure counterpoint, but you know... it's hard to argue with someone as legitimately passionate for a series as you are. We all miss Lip here.

TheWolfBunny

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Patrick
3DS FC
2320-6699-6288
And we all want her in Smash Bros. due to all of her sad and struggling years of being neglected, rejected for North America appearances, forgotten, and worst of all replaced.
We must continue voting for her, and keep the Puzzle League alive at all costs.

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
Yeah, at least for now, it's up to us to keep the dream going.

Which is I'm so happy that FYPDP is actually relatively successful so far. 38 followers and counting! ^^

PsychoJosh

Banned via Administration

No.

Don't make Lip a tragic character. Make her a happy, undying optimist, as reflected in her character design. There's no reason for her to be sad. Numerous other characters have gone quite a long time without any new games.

Last edited:

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483

Smash 4's character trailers don't really bend themselves to work this way. The trailers are meant to showcase the revealed newcomer's strengths and skills, trying to market them appealingly and leave amazing first impressions of them to people. It's a well-known reason for them being so "hypeable".

To many people, Lip would be unknown, so seeing such character with being in this sort of state first would be a strange mood whiplash, and probably leave pretty poor impression of Lip. Besides, Smash Bros is all about celebration, and plenty series in Smash also are under dormancy like Lip's is. This might thus feel little too "fanficcy" for a trailer. (I mean, the DHD-trailer was kind of peculiar on itself, but at least it was very cute and goofy.)

I rather think we'd have a trailer something like beginning with Pikmin finding flowers, but Bowser would tower over them, and pluck up their found flower. He'd smell it, and suddenly find it awful in the scent, crumpling it up. The time he'd finish, a Garbage Block would fall on his head. Rubbing his swollen bump, Bowser tries to grab it, thinking it's Kirby, but realizes that the block doesn't change into anything. Suddenly he's batted by someone, and a flower is left on the bump- which forces him to look behind.

The camera would focus on Lip's Stick on someone's hand first. He raises an eyebrow as the camera pans soon up on a young fairy girl, who opens her wand up into a bloom, and strikes a pose while saying "Ikuso!"

"LIP BLOOMS INTO THE LEAGUE!"

After showcase of her skills, the trailer would end with Lip growing multiple flowers for Pikmin to enjoy, while Bowser has been completely buried into onslaught of garbage blocks and panels/seeds Lip inflicted on him. She'd do a wink and make the trailer end by sprinkling her fairy magic, which transitions to the name disclaimers.

Last edited:

TheWolfBunny

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Patrick
3DS FC
2320-6699-6288
Smash 4's character trailers don't really bend themselves to work this way. The trailers are meant to showcase the revealed newcomer's strengths and skills, trying to market them appealingly and leave amazing first impressions of them to people. It's a well-known reason for them being so "hypeable".

To many people, Lip would be unknown, so seeing such character with being in this sort of state first would be a strange mood whiplash, and surely leave pretty poor impression of Lip. Besides, Smash Bros is all about celebration, and plenty series in Smash also are under dormancy like Lip's is. This might thus feel little too "fanficcy" for a trailer. (I mean, the DHD-trailer was kind of peculiar on itself, but at least it was very cute and goofy.)

I rather think we'd have a trailer that begins with Pikmin finding flowers, but Bowser would tower over them, and pluck up their found flower. He'd smell it, and suddenly find it awful in the scent, crumpling it up. The time he'd finish, a Garbage Block would fall on his head. Rubbing his swollen bump, Bowser tries to grab it, thinking it's Kirby, but realizes that the block doesn't change into anything. Suddenly he's batted by someone, and a flower is left on the bump- which forces him to look behind.

The camera would focus on Lip's Stick on someone's hand first. He raises an eyebrow as the camera pans soon up on a young fairy girl, who opens her wand up into a bloom, and strikes a pose while saying "Ikuso!"

"LIP BLOOMS INTO THE LEAGUE!"

After showcase of her skills, the trailer would end with Lip growing multiple flowers for Pikmin to enjoy, while Bowser has been completely buried into onslaught of garbage blocks and panels/seeds Lip inflicted on him. She'd do a wink and make the trailer end by sprinkling her fairy magic, which transitions to the name disclaimers.
Not bad! I guess yours was greater than mine. I tried. Add Yoshi and Pikachu in there, and its a puzzling rivalry!

Top Bottom