• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Puzzle League/Panel De Pon General (Former SSB4 Lip Support Thread)

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
I'm honestly surprised we haven't seen some sort of Panel de Pon content beyond a simple item.

For one of Sakurai's favourite games, he sure is hesitant to get people to play it.

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
It's not Sakurai who's hesitant to get people to play it.

Pokémon Puzzle League is NOT an acceptable alternative, guys...

Last edited:

Motor Bug2005

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MotorBug2005
I'm honestly surprised we haven't seen some sort of Panel de Pon content beyond a simple item.

For one of Sakurai's favourite games, he sure is hesitant to get people to play it.
Lip's Theme was remixed for Brawl & SSB4 and one of Kirby's Stone attacks is a Lip garbage block so there are already a few subtle references to PdP.

BTW to TC, can I be put on the supporters list if I'm not already there please?

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
Lip's Theme was remixed for Brawl & SSB4 and one of Kirby's Stone attacks is a Lip garbage block so there are already a few subtle references to PdP.

Ahh, yeah, that's right! Good catch, I'd forgotten about them.

D

Deleted member

If lips get in what do u guys think will happen to her wand?

Personal, I prefer the air, but seriously i want her wand to be included in her move. She could have the flower status exclusive to her, like diddy with tripping

PsychoJosh

Banned via Administration
I think that if she picks up her wand as an item then it augments her powers somehow. She's able to do something unique with it that the other characters can't do.

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
I think the Lip's Stick would become something along the lines of the Fire Flower or Screw Attack, a lesser item-based version of something she can do with more skill or ability. Say, Lip's flower rod hits slightly harder or has a longer range and doesn't run out of fairy dust.

Last edited:

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
I think the Lip's Stick would become something along the lines of the Fire Flower or Screw Attack, a lesser item-based version of something she can do with more skill or ability. Say, Lip's flower rod hits slightly harder or has a longer range and doesn't run out of fairy dust.
This, basically. I love how people say Lip is deconfirmed because of Lip's Stick, but the Screw Attack and Fire Flower are both a thing.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483

How strange, I thought I had added you already. Your name being familiar and all, hahah.

Kawai nic

Smash Apprentice
But Mario doesn't use Fire Flower, he just throw Fire Balls, and Samus has not the Screw Attack badge on her. Anyway, these characters can do something even without this.

Lip, without her wand, is nothing.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
But Mario doesn't use Fire Flower, he just throw Fire Balls, and Samus has not the Screw Attack badge on her. Anyway, these characters can do something even without this.

Lip, without her wand, is nothing.
Mario cannot normally use fireballs without a fire flower. Samus' screw attack is an integral part of her character. The Screw Attach badge doesn't mean anything either; it was only made a "badge" anyway for gameplay purposes, originally it was the screwball, and she cannot use her screw attack without the screw ball.

Lip using her stick as part of her moveset and having it as a separate item is hardly all that different from Samus having the screw attack as part of her arsenal with the screw ball as an item.

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
Plus there's nothing stopping Samus from picking up a Screw Attack item, screw-attacking into the air, then screw-attacking again with Up-B, just as there's nothing stopping Lip from hypothetically dual-wielding.

Last edited:

Kawai nic

Smash Apprentice
Have Lip as a character with her wand AND the Lip's stick item does no make sense, it's like we had Link's Master Sword as an item.

Kawai nic

Smash Apprentice
The Hammer come from Donkey Kong arcade game, it's not the same as Dedede's hammer.

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
The existence of the Star Rod does not deconfirm Kirby.
Pikachu comes out of a Poké Ball in its home series, and even in its intro animation, but Poké Balls are still around.
Link uses Bombchus in his home series, but they're still an item and he's still in the game.
Pitfalls were in the games before Villager was ever introduced.
We've been over the Screw Attack and Fire Flower, but remember that hammers were Mario's sole means of defense in Donkey Kong, and, well, look where he is.

Point being, items are not and never have been a valid reason for a character to not be in the game.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
The existence of the Star Rod does not deconfirm Kirby.
Pikachu comes out of a Poké Ball in its home series, and even in its intro animation, but Poké Balls are still around.
Link uses Bombchus in his home series, but they're still an item and he's still in the game.
Pitfalls were in the games before Villager was ever introduced.
We've been over the Screw Attack and Fire Flower, but remember that hammers were Mario's sole means of defense in Donkey Kong, and, well, look where he is.

Point being, items are not and never have been a valid reason for a character to not be in the game.
But Lip is the exception. Its so integral to her character that it can't possibly be a separate item as well.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
What's so weird about Lip dual-wielding the flower wand? :p It would be kind of cool, honestly.

We do have a sword item, and the we see the sword-users dual wield. It would work much in the same way, animation-wise. This just seems like nitpicking to me.

:231:

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
Like, say, her normal B move is a chargeable attack with her flower rod that results in an effect kind of like the Lip's Stick item.

Besides, if they really wanted to be faithful to her home series, they'd probably have the rod closed most of the time anyway, which is actually a form that's pretty visually distinct from the item (it looks a bit more like a staff than a wand).

FooltheFlames

needs hugs~<3
SO... canonically, just how small is Lip? Is she smaller than your average flower, as some fanart would have you presume? Or could she be taller than a certain plumber of short stature we all know and love?

And if she were to make in Smash 4 or 5 or etc. one day, how big would want her to appear as?
Should she only be as big as Olimar, or someone Toon Links size?

PsychoJosh

SO... canonically, just how small is Lip? Is she smaller than your average flower, as some fanart would have you presume? Or could she be taller than a certain plumber of short stature we all know and love?

And if she were to make in Smash 4 or 5 or etc. one day, how big would want her to appear as?
Should she only be as big as Olimar, or someone Toon Links size?
If she's a fairy, chances are that she's canonically very tiny, about the same size as Tinker Bell. Which is still substantially bigger than Olimar. But maybe I'm wrong, and she's just the size of a typical young girl.

Either way I think making her the same size as Toon Link is about right. It's not like she's going to be as big as Donkey Kong or something.

Last edited:

FooltheFlames

needs hugs~<3
If she's a fairy, chances are that she's canonically very tiny, about the same size as Tinker Bell. Which is still substantially bigger than Olimar. But maybe I'm wrong, and she's just the size of a typical young girl.

Either way I think making her the same size as Toon Link is about right. It's not like she's going to be as big as Donkey Kong or something.
Yeah but if she is Tinkerbell size it would only be fair to make her only just as big as Olimar is in Smash, I feel like making her bigger than him would be showing bias to the Pikmin series when both characters are being actually upscaled to fit with the other fighters no? It always helps to have a smaller hurtbox in fighting games if you can.

Last edited:

PsychoJosh

It doesn't help at all. There's no real advantage to being small in any fighting game, especially not this one. You're not so tiny that attacks just whiff on you. In a game like Smash these attacks will hit you anyways and you'll just be easier to kill at low percentages, so being small has absolutely no positives. This desire for a "smaller hurtbox" is just an ineffective crutch used by bad players. Sorry to say it.

Also, Olimar and the Pikmin seem like they'd be pesky bugs to Lip since they'd always be running around in her garden making a mess of things. I don't think they'd actually be of a similar size.

Last edited:

FooltheFlames

needs hugs~<3
What about the characters that are small enough to be able to duck under grabs with their crouching animation and then counter back? that's a significant advantage isnt it? and as for other fighting games and the advantages of being small, Yoda is banned from Soul Calibur 4 in tourney settings for his small stature becuz it's next to impossible to get a grab in on him.

Also, Olimar and the Pikmin seem like they'd be pesky bugs to Lip since they'd always be running around in her garden making a mess of things. I don't think they'd actually be of a similar size.
LOL that is something we can agree on! :laugh: I really wouldn't want them being the same size either, I just dont want Lip getting an unfair treatment if she does ever make it into Smash. And like I said, I'm really not entirely sure on what height and weight she is in canon... I'd be fine with her being Toon Link size :)

Last edited:

PsychoJosh

What about the characters that are small enough to be able to duck under grabs with their crouching animation and then counter back? that's a significant advantage isnt it? and as for other fighting games and the advantages of being small, Yoda is banned from Soul Calibur 4 in tourney settings for his small stature becuz it's next to impossible to get a grab in on him.
Well, same thing applies. In the event that a character's size grants them enough of an advantage to make them ban-worthy, then they're once again useless to have. You can't use them in a competitive setting, making them worthless. Most of the time though, their disadvantages far outweigh their advantages. Either way, it's not THAT useful in Smash. Smaller characters get hit by normal attacks just like everyone else, the only advantage smaller characters have is that it's harder to hit them with sweetspots, but since they die at lower percentages that balances itself out.

Regardless, I don't think Lip is a Tinker Bell-sized fairy. I think she's the same size as a normal girl.

Last edited:

FooltheFlames

needs hugs~<3
hmm... you make some good points yes you do~ a banned character has no advantages in competitive play at all- agreed!
Regardless, I don't think Lip is a Tinker Bell-sized fairy. I think she's the same size as a normal girl.
We need a self proclaimed Lip expert in here eh? I'd like to think of her as the same size as Sakura Kinomoto from Cardcaptor Sakura, but we still cant be sure...

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
Most of the time the fairies seem about normal in comparison to animals and their surroundings. There are a few oddities like the huge flowers on the SNES game's title screen, or the giant lily Lip's palace is in, or the mountain-sized teddy bear on the world map for the NPC game, but it's a fantasy setting. Not everything has to be realistic, and let's be honest here, it'd be weird if it were! There's a part of me that wants to say that fairies are sizeable but shorter than humans, about 5'2" at the very tallest, but right now I headcanon Lippy as being about the same size a real girl her (approximate) age typically is, at about 4'5" or so. She's so much easier to cuddle that way. ^^

In-game Lip would probably be slightly taller than Diddy Kong at the smallest and slightly shorter than Mario at the largest, I think. Definitely bigger than Olimar, though.

Last edited:

PsychoJosh

Any artists in this thread care to field a request for me? Would you care to make a drawing of Lip (normal-sized) looming over canonically bug-sized Olimar, Louie and a bunch of Pikmin who are in her garden stealing her strawberries?

I'd draw it myself, but I'd like to see someone else's interpretation.

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
Any artists in this thread care to field a request for me? Would you care to make a drawing of Lip (normal-sized) looming over canonically bug-sized Olimar, Louie and a bunch of Pikmin who are in her garden stealing her strawberries?

I'd draw it myself, but I'd like to see someone else's interpretation.
I volunteer. That sounds adorable. ^^

WalkOnARainbow

Smash Cadet
It was, honestly! It was a website where he posted fan art of the Panel de Pon series. You could really tell he had a lot of passion for it. He even had a contact form up and wasn't opposed to Western fans sending him messages (we even had a back-and-forth email conversation going for a time). It was great. Unfortunately, a couple of months ago he decided to shut the whole thing down with no fanfare and very little advance notice and stopped responding to my emails. I was heartbroken... still am, really. I hope it'll come back one day but I won't get my hopes up.
Oh, I sure hope they're okay.:sadsheep:

Maybe they're busy, and changed emails or something. Like, maybe they couldn't afford a website anymore.
I hope so. I hope it's something smaller like that and they're healthy and okay.

That sounds like an amazing site with a lot of wonderful pictures. Did you save any of the fanart?

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
Oh, I sure hope they're okay.:sadsheep:

Maybe they're busy, and changed emails or something. Like, maybe they couldn't afford a website anymore.
I hope so. I hope it's something smaller like that and they're healthy and okay.

That sounds like an amazing site with a lot of wonderful pictures. Did you save any of the fanart?
I saved everything that was on the site when it was taken down, but Kuchiri said not to repost anything without permission and I'd like to honor his word, so I'm not certain if I should repost it. I could probably link you to a .zip file of the pics I have uploaded on my OneDrive, but it would have to be in private.

WalkOnARainbow

Smash Cadet
Oh, that's too bad. I can understand, but I don't want to see a legacy like that disappear.

I guess that means if you share them with me, I need to keep them to myself.
Well, I'm sure you'll get in contact with them again. And that they're okay. I sure hope.

You're calling Kuchiri he, is Kuchiri a man?

Last edited:

FooltheFlames

needs hugs~<3
Most of the time the fairies seem about normal in comparison to animals and their surroundings. There are a few oddities like the huge flowers on the SNES game's title screen, or the giant lily Lip's palace is in, or the mountain-sized teddy bear on the world map for the NPC game, but it's a fantasy setting. Not everything has to be realistic, and let's be honest here, it'd be weird if it were! There's a part of me that wants to say that fairies are sizeable but shorter than humans, about 5'2" at the very tallest, but right now I headcanon Lippy as being about the same size a real girl her (approximate) age typically is, at about 4'5" or so. She's so much easier to cuddle that way. ^^

In-game Lip would probably be slightly taller than Diddy Kong at the smallest and slightly shorter than Mario at the largest, I think. Definitely bigger than Olimar, though.
That would make sense! I've seen pics of Lip being surrounded by huge flowers and the like, but since she lives in a fantasy kingdom full of fairies, flowers can be any size they want to cant they? thanks for shedding some light on the subject! :b:
Curiousty gets the best of me sometimes and I just want to hear what others have to say about my questions... you cant trust Wikipedia for everything! :dizzy:
Sweet! Can't wait to see your take on it :)
I'd love to see this when it's finished as well .^ ^.

PsychoJosh

AAAAH

That pic is giving me a cute attack!

Great pic N. Onymous!!!

Last edited:

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
I can't say I gave it much thought, but I expected her to be the size of a girl of her age. I expect her to be about Mario's height in Smash.

:231:

Top Bottom