• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Puzzle League/Panel De Pon General (Former SSB4 Lip Support Thread)

CatRaccoonBL

You can do it!
NNID
RaccoonBL
3DS FC
2294-4606-0767
We need more Lip fans to rate!
I'm still debating whether or not I should.

I find that topic kind of pointless considering it basically comes down too a coinflip with most characters. It is either Sakurai thinks this way or not. All I really see in that thread is bias. There is nothing to inherently wrong with that, but it makes hard to see the point.

Still, I do support Lip a lot. Maybe I will do it later. No matter what happens, I know why she is still in the running.

andimidna

Smash Master
I'm still debating whether or not I should.

I find that topic kind of pointless considering it basically comes down too a coinflip with most characters. It is either Sakurai thinks this way or not. All I really see in that thread is bias. There is nothing to inherently wrong with that, but it makes hard to see the point.

Still, I do support Lip a lot. Maybe I will do it later. No matter what happens, I know why she is still in the running.
If you don't want to give a chance score, you can abstain on that.
But Lip only recently made it onto the Top 10 Most Wanted list, and I don't want to see her leave it :/
You could just give a want score if you didn't want to rate her chance.

CatRaccoonBL

You can do it!
NNID
RaccoonBL
3DS FC
2294-4606-0767
If you don't want to give a chance score, you can abstain on that.
But Lip only recently made it onto the Top 10 Most Wanted list, and I don't want to see her leave it :/
You could just give a want score if you didn't want to rate her chance.
Fine Fine. I'll see what I can do. Might as well rate her chance as well.

Last edited:

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
To be honest, I kinda feel that Lip could probably get some sort of redesign if she where to be made playable, so I guess there could be a possibility that her stick might look different to the item version. But that's just speculation on my part... :/

CatRaccoonBL

You can do it!
NNID
RaccoonBL
3DS FC
2294-4606-0767
To be honest, I kinda feel that Lip could probably get some sort of redesign if she where to be made playable, so I guess there could be a possibility that her stick might look different to the item version. But that's just speculation on my part... :/
Well, I have been pushing that idea after all. Glad to see it taking effect. :3

Also. @ andimidna andimidna

My thoughts on her in the rate their chances thread is now up.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
Possible, really. Look what Pit got and what he is now due that. Perhaps Lip could get a similar ascension through some original new weapon which might bear resemblance to her wand.

Alrighty now though, time to point out something very significant.

W hile Lip's Stick isn't entirely making Lip be "out", we should keep a big eye on Kirby's stone transformations popping in the upcoming footages or screenshots. If none of these feature the garbage block towards the release and perhaps even DURING the release, Lip might have got some promotion.

Just a heads-up.

Last edited:

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
I guess I'll let her RTC rating decide whether I think she's fully disconfirmed or not. I am a bit of a pessimist, I'll admit.

andimidna

Smash Master
Possible, really. Look what Pit got and what he is now due that. Perhaps Lip could get a similar ascension through some original new weapon which might bear resemblance to her wand.

Alrighty now though, time to point out something very significant.

W hile Lip's Stick isn't entirely making Lip be "out", we should keep a big eye on Kirby's stone transformations popping in the upcoming footages or screenshots. If none of these feature the garbage block towards the release and perhaps even DURING the release, Lip might have got some promotion.

Just a heads-up.
Hey Young Horsetail! Did you rate Lip in the RTC thread yet?
I added up her average want percent and it was 2% lower than last time, which would knock her off the top ten chart...
Would you mind helping her out? :)

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
Hey Young Horsetail! Did you rate Lip in the RTC thread yet?
I added up her average want percent and it was 2% lower than last time, which would knock her off the top ten chart...
Would you mind helping her out? :)
I'm not really the type to attend these kind of threads, sadly.

R_Trigger

Smash Cadet
I don't care if most of Lip's chances have been crushed, she's still my preferred retro pick along with Mach Rider, and they will remain that way until they're playable.

Last edited:

tirkaro

Smash Champion
I don't care if most of Lip's chances have been crushed, she's still my preferred retro pick along with Mach Rider, and they will remain that way until they're playable.
Mah homie.
We mach ride till the day we die ̿' ̿'\̵͇̿̿\з=(⌐■_■)=ε/̵͇̿̿/'̿'̿ ̿

More OT tho, I don't think there's much reason to make a playable Lip's weapon of choice that much more distinct from the item; it's not like they made the screw attack item very visually distinct from Samus' actual screw attack. Not to mention the item has a rather unique position of being a longtime mainstay that's remained relatively unchanged throughout its appearances, so I wouldn't say any design choices would be made based off it; It's just kinda there now.

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
One thing I've noticed is that while the Lip's Stick item is very visually similar to its appearance in official artwork for the SNES game:

...it looks less like the flower rod carried by Furil, or by Lip in Captain Rainbow.

-smaller overall
-"leaves" are lower and look more realistic
-cone shaped structure near "flower"
-smaller gem in center

- round petals with pink color on edges
-larger gem in center

I won't say I'm on to something here - for all we know I'm just some delusional idiot - but a redesign for the wand carried by a potential playable Lip is not out of the question.

Last edited:

WalkOnARainbow

Smash Cadet
I don't know much about this rating. But I want to support Lip.

I hope it's not too late to support and vote for her.

Last edited:

Kapus

Smash Ace
NNID
Kaplus4
3DS FC
3626-0411-0921
It is too late.

Her overall chance rating when down since last time (as to be expected), but her want rating actually went up a bit. That's something I guess.

WalkOnARainbow

Smash Cadet
Oh, that's too bad. I'm disappointed. I wanted to support her.

I'm sorry for missing out. I feel like my vote could have helped.
Well, it sounds like a lot of people are supporting Lip. I'm happy about that.

LipFlare

Smash Cadet
Hello everyone again :)

well smash bros will come out soon... so there is not much time for newcomer left (at least I think so).

And sadly Lip is still not confirmed ( just why?!) but I think her chances are still NOT zero ! Sure maybe Lip's Stick as an Item may be confirmed or is already (I trust only official posts).

But just imagine if [the item Lip's Stick] is just removed of the appearing items by default if Lip is among the fighters. Just like Toon Link on the Spirit Tracks stage where he is the train driver if he isn't choosen by anyone as a fighter but if he is there will be the allmighty Alfonso with his obligatory: "Leave it to me!" who replace him. I hope you may understand what I think about her (maybe) weapon apperance and the contex of her premature rejection as a potential newcomer after all...

she is still unique among all the up-to-date confirmed characters and would be a nice addition for smash bros. (OT): Heck even Takamaru is now allmost out of decision despite he is a samurai he allmost excelled by greninja and shiek (shiek feature some ninja style fighting while greninja himself is a ninja[toad]) I think another eastern warrior-like fighter whould to much of it. (BTT): I still think she is a nice choose for a SFC retro atleast her OG is allmost 19 years old (20th anniversary ; I sent you my prayers)

With that said the hope still exist.

Have a nice time everyone!

LipFlare

P.S Apologies to every takamaru supporter please don't hate me! I just see him as an worthy competior!

Last edited:

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
Hello everyone again :)

well smash bros will come out soon... so there is not much time for newcomer left (at least I think so).

And sadly Lip is still not confirmed ( just why?!) but I think her chances are still NOT zero ! Sure maybe Lip's Stick as an Item may be confirmed or is already (I trust only official posts).

But just imagine if [the item Lip's Stick] is just removed of the appearing items by default if Lip is among the fighters. Just like Toon Link on the Spirit Tracks stage where he is the train driver if he isn't choosen by anyone as a fighter but if he is there will be the allmighty Alfonso with his obligatory: "Leave it to me!" who replace him. I hope you may understand what I think about her (maybe) weapon apperance and the contex of her premature rejection as a potential newcomer after all...

she is still unique among all the up-to-date confirmed characters and would be a nice addition for smash bros. (OT): Heck even Takamaru is now allmost out of decision despite he is a samurai he allmost excelled by greninja and shiek (shiek feature some ninja style fighting while greninja himself is a ninja[toad]) I think another eastern warrior-like fighter whould to much of it. (BTT): I still think she is a nice choose for a SFC retro atleast her OG is allmost 19 years old (20th anniversary ; I sent you my prayers)

With that said the hope still exist.

Have a nice time everyone!

LipFlare

P.S Apologies to every takamaru supporter please don't hate me! I just see him as an worthy competior!
Dismissing Takamaru because of Greninja is pretty dumb. You can support a character, but putting another character down because it's your prefered character's competition is short-sighted.

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
Isn't Takky a samurai anyway?
I think the biggest strike against him is that his primary weapon is yet another sword. Not even a cool, unique sword like the Monado, just an ordinary katana. He does use other weapons in Mystery of Murasame Castle like scrolls and shuriken, but Link uses other weapons in the Zelda series and he's still classified as a swordsman around here. Together with both Links, Marth, and potentially Chrom and Shulk, that'd make six swordsmen in the game. Kind of overkill, wouldn't you say?

Lip would, as mentioned before, bring something fresh and new to Smash. Takamaru is cool, but there isn't a lot he could do that isn't already done by some other character.

---

Sakurai said that anything and everything showcased on the website and Miiverse community is not final and subject to changing before the final release, anyway. The Lip's Stick could be gone or replaced by something else by the time of the game's release.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
Kinda difficult to see it being gone, if it comes to character inclusions. By this point then it should be gone. In short, it wouldn't make sense for Lip's Stick to be removed - let's not walk into Toad-territory here with that kinda thing.

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
Isn't Takky a samurai anyway?
I think the biggest strike against him is that his primary weapon is yet another sword. Not even a cool, unique sword like the Monado, just an ordinary katana. He does use other weapons in Mystery of Murasame Castle like scrolls and shuriken, but Link uses other weapons in the Zelda series and he's still classified as a swordsman around here. Together with both Links, Marth, and potentially Chrom and Shulk, that'd make six swordsmen in the game. Kind of overkill, wouldn't you say?
Actually, Takamaru's primary weapons are his projectiles. He uses his katana very rarely in the original Nazo no Murasame jo, and he uses it for reflecting projectiles more often than be uses it for attacking.

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
While I haven't played the game yet myself (which says a lot about how qualified I am to talk about Takamaru, really), he is drawn holding his katana on the game's box art. It's not an unreasonable conclusion to draw.

I wouldn't be upset if Takamaru were in the game per se. He just lacks the... personality, I guess, that Lip has.
-----
At this point I'd just be happy with a stage or at least a trophy or two.
For me having Lip's theme in Brawl was a mixed bag. On one hand, it was neat that they were acknowledging her in some form other than an item. On the other, it was on the Pictochat stage. It felt kind of like the dev team was saying "Eh, we coulda made a PDP stage, but we couldn't be bothered."

Last edited:

Kapus

Smash Ace
NNID
Kaplus4
3DS FC
3626-0411-0921
I didn't really get that impression, as a lot of obscure, unrepresented Nintendo games got music tracks in Brawl (Nazo no Murasame, Clu Clu Land, Shin Onishigama, to name a few). Panel De Pon's just grouped with the rest of them.

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
Maybe it stings more because of Lip's Stick. I dunno...

Last edited:

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
I wouldn't be upset if Takamaru were in the game per se. He just lacks the... personality, I guess, that Lip has.
As a fan of both Takamaru and Lip who hasn't played either of their games (well I did play Tetris Attack but that was a bastardized port), that's just not accurate at all. Takamaru has plenty of personality, if not directly from his source game, he's a strong fighter who also happens to be a closet pervert, plenty of personality.
Of course that's just a simple description of him, but he's got about the same amount to work with as Lip does, I'd say they're on even ground in that respect.

While I'll always be sad that we didn't get Lip, I'm still hopeful for Takamaru, and as much as I wanted both of them, at least having one would be something.

leprechaunlink727

Smash Ace
I support Lip because she is a unique character archetype not already represented in Smash, is from a fun game, is the face of a long running but unrepresented Nintendo series, and because I really like the idea of a character who can summon blocks to drop on other characters and change the terrain of the stage. Not a "loli" fan though, that **** makes me incredibly uncomfortable.

I get the impression that people have already sort of given up on her though, which is probably fairly justified.

Last edited:

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
It's sort of depressing how young girl automatically equals loli in so many peoples' eyes.

Not everyone's given up on her. There's still a few hopefuls lingering around. (Suffice to say, I'm placing a lot of faith in GaeozHero.)

Last edited:

bksbestbwoy

Smash Lord
NNID
AzureJay89
3DS FC
4828-5479-7054
Switch FC
2162-7423-7143
Random thought: Little Mac, Takamaru and Lip would really be the coolest newcomer trio ever just because of the lore you could create given their "issues" and desire to be among the Nintendo top tier in Captain Rainbow.

It's sort of depressing how young girl automatically equals loli in so many peoples' eyes.

Not everyone's given up on her. There's still a few hopefuls lingering around. (Suffice to say, I'm placing a lot of faith in GaeozHero.)
Even funnier is people calling this as a negative like Nintendo off all companies is all about panty shots or exploitations of taboo for the sake of attention. :p

I missed that RTC vote, but damn putting two of my Elite Four (Taka, Lip, Palu, Anna) up against one another was an interesting choice.

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux

I'm more depressed that people are so against lolis in the first place...

As much as I'd love to put... faith in that, it's already been proven false as it stated she would have been revealed that month, she didn't show. It would be highly hypocritical of me to dismiss the Sal Romano leak over inconsistencies but to call this one real when it already has a mark against it just because I want Lip in.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Now that I think of it, it really wouldn't be too farfetched if she were to be playable with the Lip Stick sticking around as an item. After all, Samus can still use the Screw Attack, yet the real Screw Attack is an item for everyone to use.

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
it's already been proven false as it stated she would have been revealed that month, she didn't show.
It did correctly predict a Diddy reveal in February and Lip's Stick coming back, for what it's worth, and it's also the only major leak to my memory - or heck, leak period - that correctly guessed/stated/whichever that there would be a Master Ball item.

Now that I think of it, it really wouldn't be too farfetched if she were to be playable with the Lip Stick sticking around as an item. After all, Samus can still use the Screw Attack, yet the real Screw Attack is an item for everyone to use.
's what I keep telling you folks, but no one listens...

Last edited:

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
That's like saying "well Link has bombs and there are plenty of bomb items," the Screw Attack isn't Samus' main weapon, it's a single attack. As I've said before, an actual good comparison would be if the Master Sword became an item, now that would just be weird because Link is always holding the Master Sword, it makes no sense to be an item because he's already there. The Fire Flower, Screw Attack, etc are not comparable. Colour me interested if we get a Falchion item.

It did correctly predict a Diddy reveal in February and Lip's Stick coming back, for what it's worth, and it's also the only major leak to my memory - or heck, leak period - that correctly guessed/stated/whichever that there would be a Master Ball item.
Master Ball wasn't some major ground-breaking leak, people have been suggesting that for as long as we had legendary Pokemon in Smash. Diddy wasn't hard either, because it was on the release of Tropical Freeze in the US, a date that many people said he would be revealed on. Lucky guesses don't make it right. The fact stands that he said "Miss Tetris" was going to be revealed that month and she hasn't shown up since, that's blatantly false information over two lucky guesses.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
To be fair, both Link and Toon Link hold a Master Sword respectively so in a sense, yeah there have been more than one Master Sword in the games. (Minus colour swaps and all)

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
We're treating Lip's Stick here like it's the only thing her moveset could ever possibly revolve around. Unless flower magic and moves based on Panel de Pon's gameplay are somehow disqualified...

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
To be fair, both Link and Toon Link hold a Master Sword respectively so in a sense, yeah there have been more than one Master Sword in the games. (Minus colour swaps and all)
I don't mean two Master Swords existing at the same time, we have two Links and two Zeldas after all.

But think of this, if the Master Sword was an item, then a character picking it up would have normal attacks like Link does. So what if Link picks it up? Will it just not do anything for him? An item that doesn't do anything for a single character is bad design.

We're treating Lip's Stick here like it's the only thing her moveset could ever possibly revolve around. Unless flower magic and moves based on Panel de Pon's gameplay are somehow disqualified...
This is the kind of mindset of people who think that Lucas and Wolf are clones... Just the special moves does not a moveset make, we've already seen that Lip's Stick is a melee weapon, it is swung around. That would make up the majority of Lip's moves, like how Link uses the Master Sword for 95% of his regular attacks. And like I said above, what would happen if Lip picked up her own stick? She would just have the same attacks as she always has, effectively making it useless.

SchAlternate

Smash Master
NNID
SchAlternate
Switch FC
SW-4691-2422-5427
I don't mean two Master Swords existing at the same time, we have two Links and two Zeldas after all.

But think of this, if the Master Sword was an item, then a character picking it up would have normal attacks like Link does. So what if Link picks it up? Will it just not do anything for him? An item that doesn't do anything for a single character is bad design.
Simple. He'll do the same thing he does when picking up a Beam Sword. DUAL BLADE BIOTCH!!

Top Bottom