• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Puzzle League/Panel De Pon General (Former SSB4 Lip Support Thread)

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
I'm pro Lip too. I'd like to add to the conversation, but I pretty much agree with Xenoblaze and King Orfut that Lip's design is fine as it is and she doesn't really need modernizing in the same way as Pit did.

PixelPasta

Smash Lord
I've only recently discovered Panel de Pon... I knew it existed because of the songs/item in Smash Bros, but I never thought to actually play it.
Well, I finally tried it out on an emulator.... and I'm hooked! I can't stop swapping those little blocks!

I now consider myself to be a dedicated Lip supporter. They need to represent these underrated Nintendo games - I want me some Lip, as well as Andy (Advance Wars) and Isaac (Golden Sun).
She's another female fighter, from an unrepped series, with a lot of moveset potential (a puzzle game based moveset would be really cool) - plus Sakurai seems to like her and her games - so I think she definitely deserves a spot in the next Super Smash Bros!

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
I don't really see this as problematic at all, as she could easily be given bloomers or a dress. Even with that, I don't think players would be turned off by the character for that reason. I don't think that figurine really matters, nor does having a 3D model for a base. It's not like the figurine in question is the dress length in canon. So it's not really a problem.

Not to mention, much like Roy and Marth, I would expect a full Sakurai redesign upon her inclusion, similar to Pit's.
Just give her pants under her skirt a la Amy from Mario & Sonic at The Olympic Games.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
So I just tried out Panel de Pon. Man, the game is addictive. I fully support Lip now. Now to add her to my sig...

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
I think any references to actual Panel de Pon mechanics are simply going to regulated to special attacks. Which isn't a bad thing in context because it's where it would fit in the most.

SchAlternate

Smash Master
NNID
SchAlternate
Switch FC
SW-4691-2422-5427
Well, I decided to dedicate my 1000th post to everyone's favorite fairy!

Lip for Smash 4!

And here's a little doodle I made:
nv23-010.jpg
Quite different, huh? I fooled around with her design to see what could I get and this was the result. What do you think of it?​

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
Seeing as Toad's still positioned as the meatshield for Peach, I can't help but think that as soon as we see Lip's Stick, we should bury any of our hopes instead of thinking that Lip can co-exist with her wand being still an item.
Maybe it's because the whole mentality of "some things never change" would well apply on Lip as well (along with her niche status as a "Nintendo All-Star".).

On the other hand, considering the character who we are supporting, it wouldn't be any wonder, really.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Man, I wish I could draw like that.

Seeing as Toad's still positioned as the meatshield for Peach, I can't help but think that as soon as we see Lip's Stick, we should bury any of our hopes instead of thinking that Lip can co-exist with her wand being still an item.
Maybe it's because the whole mentality of "some things never change" would well apply on Lip as well (along with her niche status as a "Nintendo All-Star".).

On the other hand, considering the character who we are supporting, it wouldn't be any wonder, really.
We'll have to wait and see. I'm pretty sure Lip can co-exist with her wand being an item.
As an example, the parasol was an item in Melee AND one of Peach's specials. Of course the parasol isn't as iconic to Peach as the wand is to Lip, but it's still a close enough comparison, I'd say.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
I was thinking, the flower effect on her stick should be temporary and should be able to recharge slow so that way the opponent doesn't get flamed with petals all the time.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
I was thinking, the flower effect on her stick should be temporary and should be able to recharge slow so that way the opponent doesn't get flamed with petals all the time.
It's solely based on the direction Lip leans towards. For example if her attacks are really weak, the flower effect would be a great compensation for power for all of her attacks. But if she's deceptively powerful, it would be a good idea to give the flower effect some sort of limitation, like say only being limited to a few attacks.

BluePikmin11

NNID
blue
I was thinking he would have pretty average power like maybe Toon Link for example. However the effect on Lips Stick are much shorter than the Lip's Stick item. When Lip does her F-Air, if the opponent contacts Lip's Stick and with the effect, 7% from the attack, with an addition 3% from the effect, it would feel pretty balanced overall.

Kapus

Smash Ace
NNID
Kaplus4
3DS FC
3626-0411-0921
Well, I decided to dedicate my 1000th post to everyone's favorite fairy!

Lip for Smash 4!

And here's a little doodle I made:
Quite different, huh? I fooled around with her design to see what could I get and this was the result. What do you think of it?​
I at first thought that this design deviated from the original a bit too much, as Lip's original attire was designed to look like a flower bud and petals, but on further examination I can see how the individual flaps of her dress do resemble (rather droopy) petals, and her shoulders are rather pointy like leaves. The design still has a general "Flower" feel to it, so it's all good. Great work!

The sketch in general is rather neat. Do you plan on coloring it?
It's solely based on the direction Lip leans towards. For example if her attacks are really weak, the flower effect would be a great compensation for power for all of her attacks. But if she's deceptively powerful, it would be a good idea to give the flower effect some sort of limitation, like say only being limited to a few attacks.
I definitely think she should lean towards the former. Having low attack power supported by her stick would not only be in character (in the original Panel De Pon, Lip uses her wand for support because she is the weakest fairy), but it would also make her playstyle very unique. She would have to focus on racking up damage with weak combo attacks and flower poison to get KOs in battle.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Felt like bumping this thread because I've been getting into a Panel De Pon mood today for some reason. Have been listening to Lip's theme for a bit now.

I might draw her again sometime. Dang I keep saying that and yet my lack of motivation keeps preventing me, curses. ;_;

I hope she will become playable after all but for some reason I haven't been really confident with her either lately, which is a shame. Hopefully I'm wrong though...

BluePikmin11

NNID
blue
I've been actually listening to the Brain Age theme for about 1,200 times.
I hope Lip is revealed, though I feel she will be struck by Takamaru. (Being the only retro, but there is room for 2-3)

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Ah well I guess so..... I would still rather have Lip if we can only have one of the two but I suppose only time will tell.

Hopefully next year we get some more newcomer info as the games near release.... And hopefully Lip is a part of it.... or at least saved as an unlockable character....

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
I dunno what to feel on Lip, the hype for this game's been really low from my point anyway (Toad) and I honestly believe that Lip feels a mere pipe dream. I hope I'm wrong though.

BTW Kiwi, what happened to the redesign pic you drew in DA? I'd like to see it back.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
I dunno what to feel on Lip, the hype for this game's been really low from my point anyway (Toad) and I honestly believe that Lip feels a mere pipe dream. I hope I'm wrong though.

BTW Kiwi, what happened to the redesign pic you drew in DA? I'd like to see it back.
Yeah same here sadly.

Oh I've just deleted all my art on that page, I've been attempting to deactivate that page but I forgot the email address and password I've saved up for that account so it's just been hanging there. I haven't been bothered with Deviantart at all these days ever since I joined some other sites and Smashboards, that site has just been boring me lately and yet I can't seem to have the heart to fully deactivate my pages, seems a bit like a waste to just keep my DA friends hanging. :/

Ah well, All that jabbering aside, I still got that drawing saved up so here you go.

Eh I don't really like it anymore but oh well.... I'm still going to try and draw regular o'll Lip again though at best I think you may be better off expecting a mere sketch if that's okay... :/

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Yeah her eyes do look a little awkward, I'm also not a fan of how her arms and hand turned out. Eh oh well, better luck next time for me... ^^;

SchAlternate

Smash Master
NNID
SchAlternate
Switch FC
SW-4691-2422-5427
Ah well, All that jabbering aside, I still got that drawing saved up so here you go.

Eh I don't really like it anymore but oh well.... I'm still going to try and draw regular o'll Lip again though at best I think you may be better off expecting a mere sketch if that's okay... :/
That actually looks pretty cool! She kind of has a mage-like appearance, which fits her pretty well. I specially like the boots!

It's also not much of a drastic change like my design is, and it still manages to look fresh. Sure, some proportions are a bit off (namely the fact that she doesn't look as kid-like as her original design, but mine kinda had that issue too, so I'll shut up), but not bad overall!

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
That actually looks pretty cool! She kind of has a mage-like appearance, which fits her pretty well. I specially like the boots!

It's also not much of a drastic change like my design is, and it still manages to look fresh. Sure, some proportions are a bit off (namely the fact that she doesn't look as kid-like as her original design, but mine kinda had that issue too, so I'll shut up), but not bad overall!
Thanks for the compliments, I appreciate that. ^_^

Yeah I was aiming more towards a more teenage design at around the age of 15-17 than a pre teen which is why she looks older than her original design. That was because of the whole "fighting children" issue that stemmed on her for some reason by some detractors which ironically doesn't affect the likes of Ness, Lucas, Toon Link and Villager to some people for some reason... :T

But thanks. I might reattempt this piece again sometime but for now I want to draw Lip in her original design. ^_^

Also I wouldn't mind seeing your drawing if you wouldn't mind. :)

Morbi

Scavenger
Thanks for the compliments, I appreciate that. ^_^

Yeah I was aiming more towards a more teenage design at around the age of 15-17 than a pre teen which is why she looks older than her original design. That was because of the whole "fighting children" issue that stemmed on her for some reason by some detractors which ironically doesn't affect the likes of Ness, Lucas and Toon Link to some people for some reason... :T

But thanks. I might reattempt this piece again sometime but for now I want to draw Lip in her original design. ^_^

Also I wouldn't mind seeing your drawing if you wouldn't mind. :)
Link is the hero of time/whatever else he is a hero of, so obviously nobody cares if he is a child! Personally, I think that is a positive for Lip, who doesn't want to beat a child?

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Personally, I think that is a positive for Lip, who doesn't want to beat a child?

Not sure how to respond to that besides this.

Eh, just think it's a pretty weak argument overall. Lip would be just fine the way she is but yeh. If worst comes to worse, I guess she could do with a few tweaks here and there in her original design, nothing Pit-drastic though I would imagine.... :/

SchAlternate

Smash Master
NNID
SchAlternate
Switch FC
SW-4691-2422-5427
Yeah I was aiming more towards a more teenage design at around the age of 15-17 than a pre teen which is why she looks older than her original design. That was because of the whole "fighting children" issue that stemmed on her for some reason by some detractors which ironically doesn't affect the likes of Ness, Lucas, Toon Link and Villager to some people for some reason... :T
They must be members of G.R.O.S.S (Get Rid Of Slimy girlS).

Though really, practically any children that has appeared so far and those that are yet to come have been known to be fight some evil force with special powers: Ness and Lucas with psychokinesis, Child Link with a vast selection of weaponry, the Ice Climbers with wooden mallets and ice powers (and TEAMWORK!), Lip here with a magical wand and impressive puzzle skills, etc. They're all perfectly capable of standing a chance against the other fighters in the game.

The only exception is Villager, of course. But then again...

Last edited:

Sobreviviente

Smash Lord
You guys inspire me xD here is my drawing:

Is not finished but im very happy with it :B
Oh yeah, i support.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
I can't see Lip murder memes happening. Unless people try to bring up "loli."
Something tells me Lip is not going to fall into yandere territory, mainly because she severely lacks any of the characteristics. Unless it's like a brief joke.

Also, be careful with toying with the word "loli". Don't play your cards right, and she'll become the lolicon to Pit's shotacon.

Top Bottom