• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Puzzle League/Panel De Pon General (Former SSB4 Lip Support Thread)

Superyoshiom

Smash Master
NNID
Superyoshiom
I think Lip is a great character to represent Nintendo's puzzle games as well. I don't think unfamiliarity with the western market will be a problem, as is the case with Lucas and most of the FE characters.

Sinn

Smash Lord
I think Lip is a great character to represent Nintendo's puzzle games as well. I don't think unfamiliarity with the western market will be a problem, as is the case with Lucas and most of the FE characters.
Well, Marth and Roy helped get Fire Emblem over here. Maybe Lip could get actual PdP characters here too.

Ghirahilda

♥Smash Beauty♥
NNID
Marcelinho21
I had a dream today! Lip was shown in a trailer! I'm mad because it was a dream! Also, I fully support her!!!

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
I think it's just a simple case of dream syndrome, where you love a character to the point you imagine him/her in a Smash game. It's a nice way to make your life more happy. How do you think Lip's reveal trailer will go?

bentendo222

Smash Apprentice
Here is my idea for Lip's reveal trailer.
It takes the same concept of Wii Fit Trainer's trailer. It opens up with Pikachu and Yoshi (let's just say this trailer takes place after he's revealed) playing a friendly round of Panel de Pon on a TV. Mario and Link are watching them from behind. Pikachu manages to get a nice 7 chain combo, but after the combo is done and the garbage blocks appear on Yoshi's side of the screen, A real garbage block falls down and crushes the TV, making everyone jump in shock of it. The four characters turn around to see Lip who is pointing her stick towards them. She twirls her stick and jumps in the air as her theme song (the Brawl remix) starts to play http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cx-YoZotlOU and the message "Lip Blossoms In!" flashes on the screen. Like always, gameplay is shown of Lip using her moves such as shooting panels at other characters, summoning garbage blocks and crushing them, etc. The logo for Super Smash Bros. Wii U and 3DS is shown as the song ends. After the logo, it shows Lip and Yoshi playing against each other in Panel de Pon on a new TV while Pikachu, Mario, and Link watch. Seconds later, Lip wins the match and starts jumping with joy, Yoshi gets up and the two shake hands as they both know it was good match. The screen then fades to black, ending the trailer.
So, what do you guys think of this one? It might not be as good as my idea for Takamaru's trailer, but I thought it would be interesting to see the concept they took from WFT's trailer. I hope you guys can guess the reference I put in there (why Yoshi and Pikachu are the ones playing the game)
Anyway that's it.

Kapus

Smash Ace
NNID
Kaplus4
3DS FC
3626-0411-0921
I drew this for an art contest on another forum, where I was supposed to take an old Nintendo character and give it a design makeover. I naturally chose Lip. I'm pretty happy with how it turned out, so I thought I'd share it with the rest of the supporters.

FirstBlade

Smash Journeyman
With all this talk of design what do you guys prefer? I honestly am not to keen on that short version (which I guess is the official version). I think it makes her look TOO YOUNG and she just seems very disproportionate IMO. I think, if Sakurai were to give her a makeover he should increase her size (read height) to at least make her look older say somewhere between 10-12. This could probably be done by making her legs, arms and body frame longer.

In fact, I feel this official artwork captures it. Maybe it is the way I'm looking at it or the perspective but Lip looks older and taller here. I think this would be ideal for me.

Anyways, just want to know your guys thoughts on this. I also have some new Lip catchphrases I came up with for her reveal:

"Lip joins the puzzle struggle"

"Lip joins the league" (a play on Puzzle League and my personal fave)

"Lip blossoms into battle"

"Lip flowers into the fray"

And a highly unconventional choice: "Now Smash is in full bloom- Lip"

It is actually quite hard to think of catchy ones for Lip...

Hong

The Strongest
Lip stacks the competition.

Also, I am not opposed to Lip getting the Pit treatment: A re-envisioning of the character, but the core elements still remain.

Being a jewellery ***** myself, I wouldn't mind seeing some more accessorizing. What Kapus has done is a good start.

Kapus

Smash Ace
NNID
Kaplus4
3DS FC
3626-0411-0921
With all this talk of design what do you guys prefer? I honestly am not to keen on that short version (which I guess is the official version).
The short version you mention and the taller version you posted both come from the game's official artwork.

I'd say both styles are reasonably "official," and they are both present in the actual game. You could say that the smaller one is simply a chibi representation of Lip.

Regardless, I think the "taller" version would fit Smash just fine and wouldn't really need much of a makeover. I wouldn't be against a Pit-like update if it stayed faithful to the original design and concept, though.

CatRaccoonBL

You can do it!
NNID
RaccoonBL
3DS FC
2294-4606-0767
So ever since I lurked these forums I been seeing these support sigs involve lip. I was somewhat familiar with Panel de pon and knew it had something to do with tetris, (which I haven't played), but I never bothered to play it.

Seeing as I was running out of things to support, (with ashley and viridi being deconfirmed), I knew I needed to branch out and find more things to be a fan of. And then noticed Lip even more. She was adorable, had a nice design, but, I'm not that big a fan of puzzle games. What reason do I have to play this gam- What's that? She's a fairy? Sign me up!

Now, i haven't fully beat this game yet, but I have beaten vs. on easy, (seeing how I died on the first stage on normal). I say I haven't beaten the game since I sincerely doubt the dragon is the final boss.

Maybe some day I'll be able to use skill links well enough to actually be good at the game. *sigh*

Anyway, so the game is awesome. Out of all the fairies you get to play as, I like Lip the most. After that, I would say Thiana and Flare.

Now, do I want her in smash? Well, yes. Though, I haven't played it enough to get too attached to the character. I would still be disappointed if she was deconfirmed though.

We need at least one loli in smash.

Ok, but in all serious, regardless of what my true thoughts on lolies may be, I do want Lip in for good reasons, like how she represents the puzzle series amazingly and would be an interesting character to see in smash and maybe, MAYBE, more games for the west.

Chalk me up as a supporter. It's all thanks to you guys I got to experience this great game. <3

Also, I'm neutral on what her size should be since she is cute either way. :3

Kapus

Smash Ace
NNID
Kaplus4
3DS FC
3626-0411-0921
You won't be able to fight the true final boss of Panel De Pon unless you play on hard (or Super Hard). You still get to see the credits roll if you play on Normal, though.

Regardless, I'm happy to know you're enjoying the game and have decided to support Lip for Smash. If you have any questions, I'd be very happy to answer them. Good luck on your playthrough and welcome to the group!

Also, the American localization of Panel De Pon was named Tetris Attack. Aside from that (and just being a puzzle game in the first place), this game has absolutely nothing to do with Tetris.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
One can ask info from me too (I'm actually the OP...)

I think the whole Tetris Attack-thing was to make the american localization even more of attention/cash-grabber than it already was while being slapped on with Yoshi & Friends. It appears it went bit too well.

And welcome aboard! Glad to hear more fans are being made, this series is really splendid after all - even Sakurai agrees.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Hm, Old Master Cricket is Young Horsetail indeed. Want me to request an account merger?

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
Hm, Old Master Cricket is Young Horsetail indeed. Want me to request an account merger?
Sure, don't mind. I think I got the password back already around Tuna Paleak-incident but I think I'd feel uncomfortable going back to the account that used to whine a lot along with other immaturities.

Maybe just merge 'em up but keep my current name.

Last edited by a moderator:

CatRaccoonBL

You can do it!
NNID
RaccoonBL
3DS FC
2294-4606-0767
If you have any questions, I'd be very happy to answer them.
One can ask info from me too (I'm actually the OP...)
Anything? What about tips on the game? I'm stuck on Thanatos on normal mode and could use all the help I could get.

As to relate this to smash...

...Thanatos music for smash?

Kapus

Smash Ace
NNID
Kaplus4
3DS FC
3626-0411-0921
Anything? What about tips on the game? I'm stuck on Thanatos on normal mode and could use all the help I could get.
Hmm...I'm not sure what kind of tips I can give specifically, but when I play the game, I always try to live and act in the present. Don't worry too much about actually setting up crazy chains or anything, just try to make do with what is currently happening. When you start making matches, try to quickly manipulate the blocks around the match to see if you can get any chains going. You have to think and act quickly.

It's a really good idea to do as many 4x matches and 5x matches as possible. Doing regular 3x matches won't really do anything for you, but anything above 3 will drop a small garbage block on your opponent (and stop your rising for a bit). That can go a long way in a tense match, so try to do that as much as possible.

Another thing to keep in mind is that you can use your opponent's garbage blocks to make chains for yourself and do a lot of counterattacking. When you destroy a garbage block, the garbage usually takes quite a while to clear up and turn into regular panels before falling down. You can use that time to set up the panels you have below in order to make a bunch of combos and chains. I actually win most matches that way.

I have a (fairly dated) Super Hard mode playthrough of Panel De Pon on my youtube channel. Who knows, seeing me play might help a bit.

Also, for the record, my music choices for Panel De Pon are Moon World and Fire World. I don't care for Thanatos' SNES theme that much, although his panic is pretty cool.

RankoChan

Smash Apprentice
I was bored today so I decided to colorize some of the artwork from the cancelled gameboy version of Panel de Pon, I think they turned out decent:

Lip's definitely my number one most wanted newcomer!

Kapus

Smash Ace
NNID
Kaplus4
3DS FC
3626-0411-0921
I was bored today so I decided to colorize some of the artwork from the cancelled gameboy version of Panel de Pon, I think they turned out decent:

That's quite nice! I actually took those off The Cutting Room Floor a while back and started coloring them myself, including the unused player select icons. I should go dig those up.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793

It appears a bit like N64 Paper Mario, especially Lip's head icon. It look nice. :)

AncientTobacco

Smash Lord
Here's some (maybe) interesting information for you: Super Mario 3D World OST includes tracks called "Panel de Mario" and "Panel de Link".

CatRaccoonBL

You can do it!
NNID
RaccoonBL
3DS FC
2294-4606-0767
Here's some (maybe) interesting information for you: Super Mario 3D World OST includes tracks called "Panel de Mario" and "Panel de Link".

First off thank you, for letting me know the soundtrack is now available for that game. :D

Second, certainly is interesting. If that truly is a reference, then that could help Lip out in her chances. Her last reference was in 2008 correct?

Also, I finally beat normal. Can safely say now I love the game.
Seeing how I wouldn't be good enough to beat the game on hard mode by the time smash 4 came out, I decided to just treat myself to the hard mode ending and also watch the gamecube story.

Certainly, Lip is an interesting character with tons of potential for movesets, stages, music, etc.

Also, my favorite fairy,(of this game), is flare now. <3

Lip is still awesome though.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
I noticed the title but I don't think it's intentional. Much like Falkoopa said, it's referring to the panels you color in the game to complete the picture.
I think the translators kept the "de"-word from original japanese title for those track names because "Panel Mario" and "Panel Link" sound bit boring...

And let's be honest, if we would
really think this "helps" Lip's chances...

"Hmm, what would Yuiitusin do in this situation..."

Last edited:

CatRaccoonBL

You can do it!
NNID
RaccoonBL
3DS FC
2294-4606-0767
I noticed the title but I don't think it's intentional. Much like Falkoopa said, it's referring to the panels you color in the game to complete the picture.
I think the translators kept the "de"-word from original japanese title for those track names because "Panel Mario" and "Panel Link" sound bit boring...

And let's be honest, if we would
really think this "helps" Lip's chances...

"Hmm, what would Yuiitusin do in this situation..."
Well, knowing that nintendo in general cares about Panel de Pon and not just Sakurai would've been nice to know...

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
It was RacoonBL who said it, not me. xD

I personally think it is likely a panel de pon reference, but I don't think it means much, really.

Kapus

Smash Ace
NNID
Kaplus4
3DS FC
3626-0411-0921
Glad to hear you're enjoying the game, Raccoon! Don't forget to try out Stage Clear and Puzzle Mode. They're not as action oriented, but they still provide a decent challenge (they also come with their own unique ending songs--quite nice).

Anyhoot, I dug up those old GB mugshots and colored them in (using the SNES colors, may or may not have been a good idea). I left the original SNES ones up at the top for comparison. It's really disappointing that they got scrapped like this. The fairies look really cute.

There are some interesting things I'd like to point out. Firstly, one of the mugshots is of Kain, the one male fairy from Panel De Pon 2. This suggests that this game was originally intended to be the sequel (and Kain's debut) and not just a port or remake. You can also see a mugshot of Zilba (the whale next to Kain), which further supports the theory. This is very interesting because the rest of the mugshots show the original cast of Panel De Pon and not their descendants. Perhaps the story was originally going to be a bit different?

In addition to that, Lip's second mugshot (right above Kain) actually has rather wavy and curly hair. Perhaps I'm looking too far into this, but it looks more like Furil than Lip. The first Lip mugshot doesn't have hair like that, although granted it is a bit more zoomed in. I honestly have no idea what this could mean.

However, by far the most interesting thing to me is the mysterious character to the right of Kain. Who is that? (S)he's completely unfamiliar to me, which is why there's no color. I am really fascinated by this because, unlike Kain and Zilba, this character is nowhere to be found anywhere else in the series. Very curious!

So yeah..interesting stuff.

Grimnir

Smash Apprentice
It's been a long time since I was last here since I don't actually have much interest in Smash, but decided to check up on this site on the off chance there was any new interesting information or leaks. Now I'm far more interested in this cancelled Panel de Pon Gameboy game. This is the absolute first time I've ever heard of such a thing and I can't find any information on it or even a single reference to it in either English or Japanese. Kapus, can you direct me to where you found this?

Edit: Found the source: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8B8YyqyhDoE http://tcrf.net/Pokémon_Puzzle_Challenge#Panel_de_Pon

Apparently the rough beta exists in Pokemon Puzzle Challenge GB...I guess if you want to really boost Lip's credentials, you can add this game to her repertoire, since apparently one does not even need a special device to access it.

Last edited:
Top Bottom