• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Puzzle League/Panel De Pon General (Former SSB4 Lip Support Thread)

Forcerounds

Smash Journeyman
The hints of planned Panel de Pon representation in Melee is very fascinating. Hopefully, Sakurai feels he has enough time to add Lip to the roster for this game. We could certainly use a character with moves based on puzzle mechanics.

Pemblem

Smash Rookie
If Lip is announced for SSB4, I will preorder it at that very moment.

Make it happen Nintendo! The WiiU is failing, and you need my money! This is how you can get it.

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
I need to start throwing more support in towards Lip, I'm really hoping Sakurai finally decides to add her this time, seeing as this may be his last chance.

I'll post this large bit of helpful information for Lip, all found by andimidna (thanks!):

Panel de Pon is a video game released for the Super Famicom on October 27, 1995, starring a young fairy known as Lip. However, the game didn't actually make it to the West, for the Western release, Nintendo changed all the characters to Yoshi characters and enemies. When it was released in the West, it was known as Tetris Attack. In the Super Smash Bros. series, Lip's Stick, an item used by Lip, is an item throughout the series. Kirby's Stone move can turn him into many objects including a Garbage Block from Panel de Pon. Panel de Pon music also appears in Super Smash Bros. Brawl. The fairy Lip herself appears as an important character in Captain Rainbow.

The game was updated and rebranded in September 2000 for the Nintendo 64 as Pokémon Puzzle League (PPL). This version, based on the first few seasons of the Pokémon anime, includes a training mode, a puzzle editor, and a 3D game mode that takes place in a cylindrical playfield. Pokemon de Panepon, a Japanese remake of Panel de Pon was localized and released in December 2000 as Pokémon Puzzle Challenge (PPC).

A localization of another Japanese remake titled Dr. Mario & Panel de Pon for the Game Boy Advance was released on November 25, 2005 in Europe, November 28, 2005 in North America, and December 2005 in Australia and retitled Dr. Mario & Puzzle League.

Another version for the Nintendo DS, titled Panel de Pon DS, was localized and released in 2007 as Planet Puzzle League in North America and Puzzle League DS in Europe. This version includes new backgrounds and music, stylus-enabled gameplay, and the ability to play against other players worldwide via the Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection service. Like the Game Boy Advance version, the DS version has no storyline. Another version for the Nintendo DSi, titled Chotto Panel de Pon was localized and released through the Shop's DSiWare as Puzzle League Express in North America and A Little Bit Of Puzzle League in Europe.

n Super Smash Bros. Melee and Super Smash Bros. Brawl, one of the various objects that Kirby randomly transforms into when using his "Stone" (down+B) special attack is one of Lip's garbage blocks from Panel de Pon. Also in the games, there is an item called Lip's Stick, named after the Panel de Pon character replaced by Yoshi for Tetris Attack. Lip's Stick poisons the opponent that it contacts, as a flower is planted atop his or her head. While some in-game graphics exclusive to the Japanese market were replaced with more recognizable items, Lip's Stick was left as-is with its trophy explaining its Japanese-only origin. Also present in Brawl are four collectible Stickers depicting characters from the Nintendo Puzzle Collection iteration of Panel de Pon, marking the first time a Panel de Pon character is intentionally shown to audiences outside of Japan. The character stickers, however, had their names translated to those of the Super Famicom characters. The red heart block is also present. The game also includes a remix of Lip's theme, which plays on the PictoChat stage. Lip also appears in Captain Rainbow for the Wii.

Tetris Attack was met with very positive reviews, earning a 90% average rating on Gamerankings.[2] GamesRadar listed it on their list of "The 100 best games of all time", stating "you haven’t lived until you’ve played TA two-player and dropped an immensely satisfying five line garbage block on your opponent."[3] Game Informer featured it on its own best games of all-time list at 96 and called it one of the most addictive puzzle games ever made.[4]

Plus, she is already shown to not be forgotten in the Nintendog stage, look at that block.
Between Lip's Stick as a recurring item, one of Kirby's Down B, and that block serving as a platform, it is a possibility this is all leading up to her as a playable character.

Sinn

Smash Lord
I need to start throwing more support in towards Lip, I'm really hoping Sakurai finally decides to add her this time, seeing as this may be his last chance.

I'll post this large bit of helpful information for Lip, all found by andimidna (thanks!):
Why...why may this be his last chance? o.o; Is he going to die or something?

Sinn

Smash Lord
He has calcific tendonitis in both of his arms now. This may very well be not only his last Smash game, but his last game period.
Oh ****. Someone get that man some surgery, stat!

Though...you can be a game director without using your hands much.......can't you? ='(

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux

Though...you can be a game director without using your hands much.......can't you? ='(
Yeah, but part of what Sakurai does is testing the game to check balance, etc. Plus he likes to edit things in the game personally, so it's exactly how he wants it.

If he continued directing games without full use of his hands, he'd practically be the Beethoven of video games, still creating his work but never enjoying it himself.

He really needs to take a long vacation after this game is done, or even beforehand. He definitely needs to prioritize his own health over making a video game.

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845

I think surgery would be impossible. I believe it forms inside joints.

You can't be Sakurai's kind of Director without using your hands. He does practically everything himself to some extent.

Sinn

Smash Lord
I think surgery would be impossible. I believe it forms inside joints.

You can't be Sakurai's kind of Director without using your hands. He does practically everything himself to some extent.
I'm no doctor, and I realize that Wikipedia isn't always the most reliable source, but a quick search claims that surgery for it exists and is generally really effective. Dunno how much that's true. In either case, I'm gonna hold onto hope that this isn't his last ride.

Doesn't mean I don't still want Lip this time...

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
I'm no doctor, and I realize that Wikipedia isn't always the most reliable source, but a quick search claims that surgery for it exists and is generally really effective. Dunno how much that's true. In either case, I'm gonna hold onto hope that this isn't his last ride.

Doesn't mean I don't still want Lip this time...
Huh. I heard wrong then. I hope he has it planned for at least after the game comes out. I mean, I know he can afford it.

Last edited:

Bingoshi

Smash Apprentice
I really feel bad for the guy, he makes great games. Hate that he's going through all of that. I mean, he's a legend, and he literally made my favorite videogame character and franchise of all time, Kirby. Hope he gets better somehow. But, in the case of Lip, I was just thinking... Lip covers ALL of the grounds that seems to be what Sakurai wants more of in this game. She's a retro (pretty much), he said he wanted to bring back more classic Nintendo characters like he did Pit. She's unique and I don't think anyone would fight quite like her. She's female, which he seems intent on adding more of in this game. And lastly, he himself seems to be fond of Lip. She already has a reference in the Nintendogs stage for crying out loud. I mean, what else does she need to be playable? I really want to see Takamaru and Lip make it into the new Smash Bros. but I'm thinking, as much sense as it would make, it's probably not going to happen. I'd love to be proven wrong though.

Kapus

Smash Ace
NNID
Kaplus4
3DS FC
3626-0411-0921
Does anybody think that Lip will be an AT instead? I think she has a better shot there, and she could drop garbage blocks from the sky.
Yes, this is actually what I expect to happen, or at least her appearing as a regular trophy. If she didn't appear as either I'd actually be a bit surprised. I'd be happy (but not satisfied) if she appeared as an AT, because it gives her more exposure, which would boost her chances for the next eventual game.

Iin the case of Lip, I was just thinking... Lip covers ALL of the grounds that seems to be what Sakurai wants more of in this game. She's a retro (pretty much), he said he wanted to bring back more classic Nintendo characters like he did Pit. She's unique and I don't think anyone would fight quite like her. She's female, which he seems intent on adding more of in this game. And lastly, he himself seems to be fond of Lip. She already has a reference in the Nintendogs stage for crying out loud. I mean, what else does she need to be playable? I really want to see Takamaru and Lip make it into the new Smash Bros. but I'm thinking, as much sense as it would make, it's probably not going to happen. I'd love to be proven wrong though.
I think her problem here is that, looking that newcomers that have been revealed so far, Sakurai really seems to be going for characters that are easily recognizable to the audience. Lip has great potential to be unique, but she's not very well known to the general public, sadly. That along with her Japan-only status really keeps her down, I think.

Radical Bones

Soul King
Switch FC
SW-3027-1027-5433
I think her problem here is that, looking that newcomers that have been revealed so far, Sakurai really seems to be going for characters that are easily recognizable to the audience. Lip has great potential to be unique, but she's not very well known to the general public, sadly. That along with her Japan-only status really keeps her down, I think.
That being said, Smash Bros has proven to be an effective place to relaunch older and unheard of characters. Nintendo doesn't have many puzzle game icons, and Lip would fit in that niche perfectly. I know where your coming from and think that you're right, but we can only hope that Nintendo are seeing if audiences take the bait with her appearance and are interested to see if she can be re-launched.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
I have to yet realize I haven't ever done a supporter list. I guess gotta go update before I lose the count.

I gotta be agreeing with Kapus though, at this rate all the newcomers so far has been from something widely recognized or successful, which leads me to believe that Lip might still stay in the sideline of things to be caught for her fans again - since Toad is still being a special move and then we seem to get some returning Assists. Just a reminder that Mac had been determined to the final roster eons ago along with other characters shown so far, which leads to question of "Was Lip and her series enough prominent then to warrant a spot and cause any hype, or be a sensible choice?".

Lip being still a Japan-only character at best while Intelligent Systems abandoning the series years ago aren't entirely good signs to force her to be on the roster, or be put effort on over more recognizable or sensible choices that had been determined to the full roster. Besides, I believe it's enough of a helping to just give the respects to that series just by what we have alone like before, in order to concentrate on more core franchises presented and still fanservicing the veterans of the other series. This goes to many other series represented by less-than-a-playable-character-franchise or similar.

Assist Trophy might be Lip's best shot if ever considered to be shown in her full glory, but at the end, the fondness is still there as Nintendogs has that panel which resembles the heart block, but eh - it might indeed be a deconfirming nail because we'd expect these kind of references in her own stage if she was a representative. We can only speculate until we see more clarity on this.

Now, I don't try to say this means we shouldn't even keep supporting her for a playable status due all the above, but at the same time, we gotta start to reweigh each character by every newcomer reveal or other important details of the game being shown.
We can only be awestruck and party all night if she actually gets playable... what would lead there is something I'll be very curious about. But here's hoping she at least gets to show herself in Smash after just being faceless to outerseas since her series' localization.

Tetra's Tracker

Smash Journeyman
To be honest, Lip as an AT would just about do for me as much as I'd like her playable. I suppose it's better than nothing, and AT is the next step down from playable (playable > AT/boss > trophy > sticker), and perhaps she could get promoted to playable in the next game a la Little Mac.

All the characters revealed thus far are indeed successful and recognisable, but so were all the characters revealed early on with Brawl, then later on the more esoteric characters in Ike and Lucas were revealed. Maybe the same thing will happen with this game with Lip being one of those esoteric characters revealed late on? Clutching at straws I know, but ah well.

Pemblem

Smash Rookie
It is very possible that Lip will not be in Smash 4, but Nintendo really needs to get as much fan support as possible if this game is going to sell. The 3DS version looks cool and all, but I think most people would rather play the WiiU version (I know I would.) The Wiiu is failing, and Nintendo really needs to recruit all the characters they have to make this game what Melee was.

It would be a shame if this really was Sakurai's last game, ,he should make it a good one.
Lip NEEDS to be in this game. She's the last Nintendo princess! We have Peach, and Zelda, and Samus, and now, even Rosalina. At this point, I think it would be a very stupid move on Nintendo's part to not include her.

We need this character, Nintendo! Please give Lip a chance!

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
It is very possible that Lip will not be in Smash 4, but Nintendo really needs to get as much fan support as possible if this game is going to sell. The 3DS version looks cool and all, but I think most people would rather play the WiiU version (I know I would.) The Wiiu is failing, and Nintendo really needs to recruit all the characters they have to make this game what Melee was.
I think most people will play the 3DS version actually, because 1) they already own the device 2) the version is cheaper 3) the 3DS has a bigger install base 4) portability. If Nintendo wanted to sell Wii Us with Smash 4, they shouldn't have created a 3DS version of the game, but I am glad they did, to be honest. Also, I don't really want this game to be what Melee was.

Anyway, that is not why I am here. I am here because I want to show my support for Lip, especially after trying her game (which is AWESOME). She is so cute and has potential for an interesting (and unique, for the people crazy over uniqueness) moveset. So in my opinion she definitely deserves to be in Smash 4.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
For some odd reason I keep getting 502 Error everytime I try to edit the OP. Eh.

________
Panel Poppers

-Young Horsetail
-Falkoopa
-Kapus
-Sinn (Pre-Brawl Veteran!)
-KikwiKiwi

-MegaBidoof
-BluePikmin
-KinkLink5
-R.O.B
-XenoBlaze

-ChronoBound
-LouieG
-APC99
-Viper
-N.Onymous

-LordVaati
-MasterMushroom
-FirstBlade
-HomelessVagant
-YoshiAndToad

-RoyKun
-PixelPasta
-RouffWestie
-ReallyShyGuy
-CrapZapper

-Hong
-Pacack
-AncientTobacco
-RaccoonBL
-TCRHade

-RankoChan
-Tepig2000
-Ascended
-Forcerounds
-Bingoshi

-RasuMi
-JamesDNaux
-RadRedi
-SuperBrawler
-SchAlternate

-Grimnir
-Pemblem
-Tetra'sTrackers
-LipFlare
-Reila

-Ferio-Kun
-Vyzor
-3Bismyname
-TumblrFamous
______

45+ supporters and counting.

I'll be honest, I have never thought that she'd have this much of vocal supporters (or at least by signature). I'm happily suprised, actually.

Remember to update if you still support her though, thanks - I wish to make this accurate.

Last edited:

Kapus

Smash Ace
NNID
Kaplus4
3DS FC
3626-0411-0921
All the characters revealed thus far are indeed successful and recognisable, but so were all the characters revealed early on with Brawl, then later on the more esoteric characters in Ike and Lucas were revealed. Maybe the same thing will happen with this game with Lip being one of those esoteric characters revealed late on? Clutching at straws I know, but ah well.
That's actually an interesting point and one I had not considered. It's also worth noting that the previous two games in the series introduced two "Retro" characters. If Lip is considered retro in Sakurai's eyes (an iffy issue considering her game was on the SNES and her series technically lived on to the DS), she may still have a chance. Sakurai has shown before that he does like Lip and considers her game to be a masterpiece.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
The error is showing likely because you've exceeded the character limit in the opening post.

And by the way, in the stage clear mode, is it humanly possible to beat Thanatos when he appeary after beating Windy's levels? -_-

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
I'm glad that my efforts have brought Lip back into view, we've got to let Sakurai know that people outside of Japan do want to see Lip, right?

We want the original "true masterpiece" in its unaltered form, and this may be the only shot for it. Lip really deserves the playable slot this time.

LipFlare

Smash Cadet
Hello everyone!

I just thought about Lip again. And I think that her chances still exist because her only direct rival character whould be Peach (Both are associated with pink and charisma) and seeing her with one of Lips things - also known as the rainbow- is just one thing which bother me shortly ago,because it have to be Lips recover move/ entering animation ,which use them! >.<

But besides that ,she makes the exact opposite, but appropriate to Lil Mac! Lil Mac a strong melee character ,while Lip is set up to be delicate and use her flower- and blockmagic. Lil Mac highly demanded from the west and less from japan ,while Lip is more demanded from Japan and less from the west which make her the DIRECT answer from the eastern fanbase.^^. And adding her to Smash Bros. could make a major impact in the west for revamp her series to its former glory.

Have a nice evening everyone!

P.S I like Peach^^

P.S.S Please forgive me if there is something wrong with the grammar.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
The error is showing likely because you've exceeded the character limit in the opening post.

And by the way, in the stage clear mode, is it humanly possible to beat Thanatos when he appeary after beating Windy's levels? -_-

We have character limits in posts now? Hmm, guess needs to be cut out for it to work again...

That's actually an interesting point and one I had not considered. It's also worth noting that the previous two games in the series introduced two "Retro" characters. If Lip is considered retro in Sakurai's eyes (an iffy issue considering her game was on the SNES and her series technically lived on to the DS), she may still have a chance. Sakurai has shown before that he does like Lip and considers her game to be a masterpiece.
I really hope it's Takamaru and then Lip. Being pseudo-retro hasn't stopped Mac before, so I could say that we can still have a shot on Lip.

Kapus

Smash Ace
NNID
Kaplus4
3DS FC
3626-0411-0921
Windy is the second level, isn't she? I'm pretty sure Thanatos appears after beating Thiana's level.

Regardless, yes it is. Thanatos actually isn't any harder at the end of Stage Clear mode than he is at the beginning. It's the same fight, so you just have to keep at it!

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
All I have to say on the matter regarding to odds is to sit back and just wait to see what happens.

I will say that newcomers putting more emphasis on being unique is more of an encouragement, and Lip does have plenty of options.

Sinn

Smash Lord
I think most people will play the 3DS version actually, because 1) they already own the device 2) the version is cheaper 3) the 3DS has a bigger install base 4) portability. If Nintendo wanted to sell Wii Us with Smash 4, they shouldn't have created a 3DS version of the game, but I am glad they did, to be honest. Also, I don't really want this game to be what Melee was.

Anyway, that is not why I am here. I am here because I want to show my support for Lip, especially after trying her game (which is AWESOME). She is so cute and has potential for an interesting (and unique, for the people crazy over uniqueness) moveset. So in my opinion she definitely deserves to be in Smash 4.
You bring up a lot of good points there that I hadn't thought of, though...I know I'll have to get both simply because the Wii U version will be SO DAMN PRETTY.
-Sinn (Pre-Brawl Veteran!)
I dunno why, but seeing that makes me super happy inside. Fond memories, I guess. Though am I the only supporter from the pre-Brawl days who's back for more? Huh o_o

MasterMushroom

Smash Journeyman
Even though I don't post often, I still support lip. Have been since Nsiders first thread with Algus and Triple Factorial. So the question mark isn't needed Horsetail :bubblebobble:

Mega Bidoof

Smash Hero
NNID
Link46
3DS FC
1160-9840-1542
So I was looking through my signature for all the characters I have on my most wanted and predictions list, and Iw anted to make sure I supported everyone on it.

So I support Lip.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
TumblrFamous seems only supporter I have to yet add to the list. We hit 50 supporters if one more joins up.

Gotta say, yeah, it really has grown a plenty lately. I can only hope to see the day we get to see her in some form.

Last edited:
Top Bottom