• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Public Signs Of Affection On School Grounds

Status
Not open for further replies.
An attempt to rustle up activity in the PG.

All my years in middle school, there has been a strict policy of "no public signs of affection on school grounds". These have been enforced heavily, and punishment would be dealt even on huggers and hand-holders. But now that I've entered highschool, this seems to have been lessened or completelly abolished. Couples kiss outside of classroom doors, and give each other long hugs in the hallways.

So debate this: Should the policy of no public signs of affection on school grounds(NPSAOSG) be enforced? And if so, how strictly? IMO, it should.....to a certain extent. I mean, it gets really awkward having to wait outside of Algebra class in the morning and have to people kissing. Or for the hallways to get stopped up because of hugs. I think that should be stopped, but quick pecks on the cheeks, or quick hugs shouldn't.

(Links will be put up tommorow)

TigerWoods

Smash Champion
Wherever you want me to be... If you're female.
I went to a Catholic gradeschool and highschool. Any form of contact between students was frowned upon... even hugging someone as a hello...

Anyway, it should be enforced if the public sign of affection is excessive, or, if it is cutting into more important things.

If it is during the student's own free time, It is perfectly fine. Kids will be kids, and they'll kiss no matter what. :)

.Marik

is a social misfit
Public signs of genuine affection should be allowed. Why not?

Granted, there should be limits. Couples should have the decency to make out in a location considered "private" and secluded, so 1,200 kids don't have to watch you sloppily kiss your partner.

Hugs and hand-holding should be allowed, there's nothing harmful or inappropriate about those gestures.

Then you have nudity and sexual intercourse, but that's obviously an unrealistic scenario.

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
I believe that public displays of affection should be limited. I do not see much of a problem with hand-holding or hugging, but I believe that kissing can become a distraction. I believe that public (and private) schools should strive to radiate professionalism at all times. Allowing students to make out on school grounds would undoubtedly disturb the learning process, as well as potentially stir up drama, cause complaints to arise, etc. Such actions should be reserved for leisure time, not the classroom.

Airgemini

Chansey
Safari Zone. Shiny, and holding a Lucky Egg.
3DS FC
2406-5625-4787
There really isn't any reason to enforce this. Whenever I see people kissing in hallways I simply just mind my business and continue walking to class. I don't see how it can really be that much of a problem unless it's getting in the way of their academic life.

It all really comes down to if you get distracted easily, IMO.

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
There really isn't any reason to enforce this. Whenever I see people kissing in hallways I simply just mind my business and continue walking to class. I don't see how it can really be that much of a problem unless it's getting in the way of their academic life.

It all really comes down to if you get distracted easily, IMO.
Just because you and I can witness this and not be distracted doesn't mean everyone can. What if 2 people are french kissing passionately and feeling up on each other between classes? Would you be ok with this? Where do you draw the line? It seems to me like you can't really say something like 'No kissing with tongue is allowed', or 'only feel on the stomach and neck, breasts and legs are off limits'; imo you'd have to either completely allow passionate make out sessions or prohibit kissing altogether, because it would be too difficult to enforce any rule that lied within the 'gray area' between these 2 policies.

I think it increases the potential for disputes as well. If you're walking out of a classroom and see your ex girlfriend (that you still love) making out with her new boyfriend, I'm guessing you will most likely not be in the right mindset for learning in your next class. You might not be able to refrain from making a comment or taking some other sort of action that could lead to a confrontation. This is just one example of many.

Smoke and smash

Smash Journeyman
Nothing wrong with this. People should be free to express themselves. School shouldn't be a fantasy world where everybody uses appropriate language and refrains from emotions. I mean that's not going to happen, ever. Schools need more freedoms as it is. I don't know about you but I hate being restricted. Restrictions are a form of control, and being controlled is lame. I think kids can develop into the people they are going to grow up to be if you allow them to handle thier **** how they choose, and allow them to act how they feel.

Basically, don't hide children from the real world. Showing affection is part of the nature of people; let people be natural.

Airgemini

Chansey
3DS FC
2406-5625-4787
What if 2 people are french kissing passionately and feeling up on each other between classes? Would you be ok with this?
I wouldn't care because it's none of my business. If you seriously can't stand it that much I would suggest stitching your eyes shut.

Where do you draw the line?
Teachers should draw the line when things get inappropriate like obvious rubbing or intense make outs. Things like kissing in the hallways shouldn't be a part of any student's business. I simply just walk, look at them for a second, and then continue with my day. If anyone should be concerned with students kissing it should be teachers, not you.

I think it increases the potential for disputes as well. If you're walking out of a classroom and see your ex girlfriend (that you still love) making out with her new boyfriend, I'm guessing you will most likely not be in the right mindset for learning in your next class.
What're the chances of that? That seems pretty stretched to be used to prove a point.

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
I wouldn't care because it's none of my business. If you seriously can't stand it that much I would suggest stitching your eyes shut.
Wow, such animosity. If you'll kindly take a look at the post you supposedly read, you'll see that I stated that I am capable of witnessing such actions and not be distracted.

Teachers should draw the line when things get inappropriate like obvious rubbing or intense make outs. Things like kissing in the hallways shouldn't be a part of any student's business. I simply just walk, look at them for a second, and then continue with my day. If anyone should be concerned with students kissing it should be teachers, not you.
You must then define the word "intense" in writing, because the definition of this word differs from person to person (and this is part of what I see as being too difficult to accomplish). I didn't say I was concerned with this, I simply stated my opinion on the subject.

What're the chances of that? That seems pretty stretched to be used to prove a point.
That scenario was purely hypothetical, and it also is not far-fetched. I was not trying to prove a point either, I was merely questioning your reasoning behind your claims.

Edit: I just wanted to say, I have completed both high school and college and have never had a problem with public displays of affection, so don't assume that I am the type of person to run to the teacher and tell on someone for kissing in the hallway. However, I still have a strong opinion on this subject and I was simply attempting to support it.

Airgemini

Chansey
3DS FC
2406-5625-4787
Wow, such animosity. If you'll kindly take a look at the post you supposedly read, you'll see that I stated that I am capable of witnessing such actions and not be distracted.
That was my fault. I meant "you" as in everybody. :p

You must then define the word "intense" in writing, because the definition of this word differs from person to person (and this is part of what I see as being too difficult to accomplish). I didn't say I was concerned with this, I simply stated my opinion on the subject.
I consider things like being up against a wall, hands everywhere, and frequent exchanges of saliva to be intense.

But as you said the definition of that word can differ with anyone.

o-Serin-o

I think 56 nights crazy
PDA rules really should mpt be enforced.

Consider this:

A school with an approximated amount of 1,500 students. About 5 months within the school year, the administrators of the school decide to include a PDA rule which prohibits hugging and kissing of any kind. The students, at first and as a majority, agree that the rule wouldn't matter that much and tend to abide by the rule for the time being. Slowly, but surely, the students begin to see that the rules are not enforced as need be, so take advantage of it and start off slowly with short hugs and quick pecks.

After about three months of the new rule having been included, the students are back to their old ways. As teachers and principals see this, they begin to start enforcing the PDA rule more than originally planned. They have teachers outside of their doors looking out for students showing affection where they are not suppose to. The students regress on what they do, but only momentarily.

Time after time, students seemingly get away with kissing in the halls. The rule is still enforced, but with only 80 teachers to watch over the 1,500 students, it is more than likely going to be that students will eventually have their own ways.

Case in point, with no ABSOLUTE way to make sure everyone doesn't sneak a kiss or get a hug in, why have it?

Downside and comparison:

The downside that I see, at the moment, is that this can be compared with the use of illegal drugs. Just because some people manage to get away with it doesn't mean that the whole world should turn to drugs. Marijuana has a side effect of causing damage to the lungs therefore eventually causing a shortened life expectancy. The problem with kissing is only that there isn't much disease to be spread with it. More than likely, nobody is going to be cheated on unless they want to cheat. And if someone DOES manage to cheat and catch something they don't want, they should be punished.

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
Case in point, with no ABSOLUTE way to make sure everyone doesn't sneak a kiss or get a hug in, why have it?

Downside and comparison:

The downside that I see, at the moment, is that this can be compared with the use of illegal drugs. Just because some people manage to get away with it doesn't mean that the whole world should turn to drugs. Marijuana has a side effect of causing damage to the lungs therefore eventually causing a shortened life expectancy. The problem with kissing is only that there isn't much disease to be spread with it. More than likely, nobody is going to be cheated on unless they want to cheat. And if someone DOES manage to cheat and catch something they don't want, they should be punished.
You can't ABSOLUTELY prevent murder.
You can't ABSOLUTELY prevent people from drinking and driving.
You can't ABSOLUTELY prevent people from being *****.

The list goes on. That logic is in no way, shape, or form applicable to the scenario of the topic at hand. The simple fact that students know that teachers don't support PDA will undoubtedly have an effect on their decision of whether or not to participate in such actions. For example, if students realize that teachers are not effectively enforcing such a rule (or even attempting to do so), a number of them will most likely be more willing to break the rule. However, if students realize that the teachers at least TRY to enforce the rule, there will most likely exist a good number of students that will have the willpower/maturity/respect for authority to refrain from expressing PDA on school grounds.

Fuelbi

Banned via Warnings
I believe it should be enforced. It bothers me when I step out of class and right beside the door a couple is kissing. Once these people actually accidentally trapped me in their hug when they hugged in the halls. It was annoying, rude, obnoxious, and too public. It annoys me when people do that. There has to be some sort of standards in schools these days

Smoke and smash

Smash Journeyman
What the **** you all sound like my high school principal.

Standards are for private schools, you have the option of attending one if you want.

Fuelbi

Banned via Warnings
What the **** you all sound like my high school principal.

Standards are for private schools, you have the option of attending one if you want.
I dont attend a private school... but I do attend a charter so I guess that doesnt count. Anyways I still think there has to be some sort of standard in public schools. Its annoying when you have to go in the halls and find people making kissy faces and smooching all over the place. I think security personel in those schools need to start cracking down on them. School is to help people function in society and I do not see people kissing every corner I go to.

TigerWoods

Smash Champion
I dont attend a private school... but I do attend a charter so I guess that doesnt count. Anyways I still think there has to be some sort of standard in public schools. Its annoying when you have to go in the halls and find people making kissy faces and smooching all over the place. I think security personel in those schools need to start cracking down on them. School is to help people function in society and I do not see people kissing every corner I go to.
Well of course, there should be a sort of standard -everywhere-. There is a line between acceptable and too far. Although security personnel is a tad extreme...

At best, public displays of affection that don't involve explicit acts(nudity, sexual acts) are petty offenses, if that at all.

DtJ Jungle

Check out my character in #GranblueFantasy
BRoomer
Even so, very few people want to walk around their school campus with even couples making out. It's not about maturity and being mature enough to handle it, it's about picking and choosing the right times to be intimate.

Airgemini

Chansey
3DS FC
2406-5625-4787
Even so, very few people want to walk around their school campus with even couples making out. It's not about maturity and being mature enough to handle it, it's about picking and choosing the right times to be intimate.
But it's none of your business so why do you care? I mean like, if they're blocking your way to a direction or something then yeah you should care but if it's not affecting you directly why is it anyone's business?

Smoke and smash

Smash Journeyman
I like viewing academic institutions similarly to a workplace. There should be a bit of professionalism in it.

Having said that, I don't see the problem with a peck or small kiss in private(as long as the people doing it are free and out of the way).
I didn't get paid to go to school, did you? The teachers should have to act professional, but the kids shouldn't.

Smoke and smash

Smash Journeyman
I just think kids should act like kids because...they are kids. And teachers should act professional because...they are paid professionals. My logic is self explanatory.

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
I just think kids should act like kids because...they are kids. And teachers should act professional because...they are paid professionals. My logic is self explanatory.
You missed what I was getting at. In my opinion, some sort of order and professionalism should be maintained at all times in an educational setting. It is important to provide students with an environment that facilitates the learning process. Letting "kids be kids" doesn't really pave the way for efficient use of time on school grounds. The goal here is education, and it should be a top priority for teachers and students alike.

Smoke and smash

Smash Journeyman
Yes, the point of schooling is education. I think kids can be kids without detracting from others learning experiences. There is time in between classes, during lunch, homeroom, whatever, where learning isn't happening. People should be free to act naturally during these times.

"It is important to provide students with an environment that facilitates the learning process."

Very true, but forcing all children to act professional isn't going to work for everybody. Personally speaking, I find that to lead to excessive boredom, which leads to my mind wandering, which detracts from my learning.

Good schooling has more to do with effective teaching techniques (compare/contrast, getting the students involved, being as relative as possible when applicable) ...anything to help students further thier understanding of the material.

Also personally speaking, I learn best when stimulated. I pay full attention when a teacher makes me laugh, or uses an unorthodox method of teaching that I didn't expect, or even when my teacher is a babe.

There are a lot of factors that contribute to good education, and having a professional learning environment is not/should not be of major importance.

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
Yes, the point of schooling is education. I think kids can be kids without detracting from others learning experiences. There is time in between classes, during lunch, homeroom, whatever, where learning isn't happening. People should be free to act naturally during these times.

"It is important to provide students with an environment that facilitates the learning process."

Very true, but forcing all children to act professional isn't going to work for everybody. Personally speaking, I find that to lead to excessive boredom, which leads to my mind wandering, which detracts from my learning.

Good schooling has more to do with effective teaching techniques (compare/contrast, getting the students involved, being as relative as possible when applicable) ...anything to help students further thier understanding of the material.

Also personally speaking, I learn best when stimulated. I pay full attention when a teacher makes me laugh, or uses an unorthodox method of teaching that I didn't expect, or even when my teacher is a babe.

There are a lot of factors that contribute to good education, and having a professional learning environment is not/should not be of major importance.
I didn't say force them to act professional. I just mean that giving them too much freedom (and by this I mean allowing them to kiss in the hallway) often times leads to inefficient use of school time.

Smoke and smash

Smash Journeyman
Well, unless there's a class that's going on in the hallway, then why not? Most teens have to release sexual energy constantly; I'm pretty sure of this since I was one until this year.

DtJ Jungle

BRoomer
I was also a teen too. I'm pretty sure we all were. I don't remember having to release "sexual energy" during school. First of all, it's not really a proper environment, personally and generally speaking. Secondly, part of growing up is learning to control those primal and sexual urges and tendencies.

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
Well, unless there's a class that's going on in the hallway, then why not? Most teens have to release sexual energy constantly; I'm pretty sure of this since I was one until this year.

You said that this was "very true". Do you not know what facilitate means? I am not trying to be derogatory.

Smoke and smash

Smash Journeyman
What? You never sat there in class thinking about meeting your girl after class for some one on one? You've got to be kidding me. Controlling sexual urges is not part of growing up, expressing your sexual feelings is...or are you all bookreading robots?

Ace- ...Yea an environment that facilitates the learning process...while people are learning. Do you walk around the halls in between classes reading your textbook or something?

Don't question my vocabulary, it's really insulting. Anything I don't understand I'm fully capable of researching...we are on the internet. You aren't going to convince people of your argument by talking down to them in reference to thier grammar, etc.

DtJ Jungle

BRoomer
No, I have. However, that doesnt mean i have to be on top of her all the time either. Maybe I was too mature for high school, but me and my girl(s) were always okay with just talking during school.

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
Allow me to quote this again.

Well, unless there's a class that's going on in the hallway, then why not?
Because

It is important to provide students with an environment that facilitates the learning process.
To which you responded

Facilitating the learning process means that it makes learning easier; that it encourages learning to take place. My argument is that allowing this to take place on school grounds during school time takes away from this. Keep in mind that I'm not referring to kissing specifically, there are a lot of things students shouldn't be permitted to do in order to maintain a serious educational environment.

Smoke and smash

Smash Journeyman
I'm not sure why you are saying that again...I already responded to that.

"Yea an environment that facilitates the learning process...while people are learning. Do you walk aroundthe halls in between classes reading your textbook or something"

Theres no learning going on in the hallways between classes, so theres no process to facilitate... You only get 4 minutes between classes to get some fresh air or do whatever you want. You can get serious about learning when you are sitting in the classroom waiting for a lecture or whatever. In the classroom after the bell rings, that's when people learn. That is also when everybody should be ready to learn, and allow the teacher to carry on with the lesson in manner suitable for learning. No disrupting the class, no sexual distractions, while class is in session.

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
Thats not what I'm talking about. I'm done with this for now, we've strayed too far from the main topic and this is going nowhere.

I did not mean to insult you, but you clearly did not understand what I was saying.

Smoke and smash

Smash Journeyman
I know what you are talking about. You believe that there should be an overall "mood" as it were, during school that promotes serious learning. A setting should be present, that promotes students to take education seriously...and certain sexual actions detract from this. I get it, but you don't seem to get what I'm saying.

TigerWoods

Smash Champion
I didn't get paid to go to school, did you? The teachers should have to act professional, but the kids shouldn't.
I think this is false. In my opinion, the point of high school is to obtain the necessary skills needed to move on up into the professional world, which includes decency in the workplace.

I do believe kids should learn how to express themselves and their feelings... on their own free time. A place of academic learning is not equivalent to a bed. ;) Parents don't pay taxes for their kids to learn the proper way to kiss.

Having said that, I don't mean to enforce "no hugging" policies and such. Like I said earlier, there is a line between what is decent and appropriate and what is not.

Socializing, meeting new people, and dating ARE parts of highschool. However, there is always a LINE.

xLeafybug =D

Smash Master
I try not to make out with my girlfriend while I'm in school, among other things, it's because I dislike it when people don't mind their own business. That being said, I don't find it bothersome or wrong when I see people kissing in the halls, as it's their business, not mine.

If you get annoyed by somebody kissing or hugging in the halls, that's your problem. But there is a simple answer to solve your problem... Mind your own business. It's not that hard.

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
If you get annoyed by somebody kissing or hugging in the halls, that's your problem. But there is a simple answer to solve your problem... Mind your own business. It's not that hard.
Imo, one should look at this matter as if he or she was the principal of the school. You have to establish a rule (or at least allow something to happen), one way or the other, that is both beneficial to the learning system and is possible to be enforced. Of course, if everyone was able to mind their own business, that would be a different matter; but people DO NOT mind their own business. There will always be someone (most likely more than one person) that cannot or will not. This is why PDA (among other things) are prohibited in schools; it ultimately leads to a disruption of the learning process.

TigerWoods

Smash Champion
I try not to make out with my girlfriend while I'm in school, among other things, it's because I dislike it when people don't mind their own business. That being said, I don't find it bothersome or wrong when I see people kissing in the halls, as it's their business, not mine.

To go with what ACE was saying, I was not speaking from the point of view of a student.

Also, it is not simply whether or not it is anybody's business. It is about holding standards and maintaining decorum. Kissing does not bother me at all, but I do not think school is the place to be fondling each other.

I think the real simple answer is to kiss before/after the bell rings for school. Is it really that hard to wait a few hours?

|RK|

Smash Marketer
"School is meant to facilitate the learning process." Very true. Indeed, the proper environment is necessary. However, school is also meant to prepare students (I assume we are discussing Middle/High School?) for college, which prepares them for life. Whether or not other people seemingly can't focus because of public signs of affection doesn't make it their business. In an environment that attempts to simulate the environment experienced in the real world, is the school really teaching the students anything if something so trivial can throw them off for the rest of the day? What is to be said of the people in the real world, if such things can really facilitate such a fixation that it destroys the ability to focus? It is perfectly understandable if the person in question is annoyed during the time of, but after? Then there is obviously a problem. Naturally, there are and should be limitations as to what can be done in public and what can't, but still.

On the emotional side, a person's boyfriend/girlfriend is usually considered a special person to them. If that one hug or kiss gets them through a badly started day, then how are they wrong? It's like a husband and wife who kiss before they begin their day. How is it wrong? Maybe the students in question get a better grade because they now feel better, knowing that there is at least one person in the school that they KNOW loves them, no matter what everyone else may think. This is called positive psychology, moving from negative 5 to positive 5, so to speak.

Granted, on average, the high school/middle school couple will easily break up, and the negative emotion can cause more social and educational damage. But regardless, who has the right to break up people who are happy together, even for the moment? It's like drugs, you get high, then you feel like garbage. Withdrawal will hurt a lot. But if it isn't harming someone else, why stop it? It's love, whether cheap or rich, it's love all the same, for at least one person. Let them be.

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
Whether or not other people seemingly can't focus because of public signs of affection doesn't make it their business.
Yes it does, and I'm not the only one that sees it this way. Lots of people don't want to see that ****. There is plenty of time for this after school, and people should have the consideration to wait until this time to display their affection. More importantly, it's going to happen no matter what the rule is, but the school's administration should undoubtedly prohibit PDA so that the occurrence of such instances will be minmized. Schools have goals, and activities that disturb the learning process makes it harder for these goals to be reached.

In an environment that attempts to simulate the environment experienced in the real world, is the school really teaching the students anything if something so trivial can throw them off for the rest of the day?
High School and most colleges do not simulate the environment experienced in the real world whatsoever, nor do many of them attempt to do so. However, school should illustrate that there is a time for work (in this case, school time) and a time for leisure (in this case, after school), just like in the real world. Adults are prohibited from kissing or being clingy at work for good reason. PDA doesn't have to 'throw someone off for the rest of the day' to be a distraction, either. It just gives students more non-educational material to think about and gossip over.

What is to be said of the people in the real world, if such things can really facilitate such a fixation that it destroys the ability to focus?
Everyone is different. I'm sure there is something that would hinder your ability to focus in school, but let's say that you're just very special and can focus under any conditions. There are many people who cannot, and to me this is understandable.

It is perfectly understandable if the person in question is annoyed during the time of, but after?
Just because you see a couple kissing and are distracted enough to think about it later in the day or bring it up in conversation during school hours doesn't mean you are immature or that you have some kind of disorder. It's a distraction that makes learning more difficult for students (as a whole).

Naturally, there are and should be limitations as to what can be done in public and what can't, but still.
What limitations? Where would you draw the line, and how? You must be able to put this on paper and it's meaning must be perfectly clear to anyone who reads it. If there is any gray area the rule fails.

If that one hug or kiss gets them through a badly started day, then how are they wrong? It's like a husband and wife who kiss before they begin their day. How is it wrong?
The husband and wife are kissing on their own time. Students can kiss all they want before school, and after school for that matter.

But regardless, who has the right to break up people who are happy together, even for the moment?
Teachers do. Students aren't in school to make out, and it is the teachers' duty to discourage any activities that obviously have nothing to do with education. If you let students have an inch, eventually they'll take a yard.

It's like drugs, you get high, then you feel like garbage. Withdrawal will hurt a lot. But if it isn't harming someone else, why stop it?
Sorry, but this example is terrible. Drugs often hurt the friends and families of individuals who abuse them. They are also known to do a number on an individual's ambition and intelligence, as well as hinder one's coordination and decision making abilities (which often leads to accidents and injury). Hopefully you aren't referring to getting high before or during school.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom