• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

PSI Magnet: what can be absorbed and what can't?

Maki Maki

Smash Cadet
now we know psi magnet is all sorts of awesome, but what attacks can be absorbed, and what wont?

for example, charizards fire can be absorbed, but sheiks needles cant.

Im curious about:

pits arrows
squirtle/fludd water
yoshi stars from his down b

NESSBOUNDER

Smash Master
Pit's arrows: yes.
Yoshi's stars: No, they're not projectiles (I think)
I'd also say "no" to water blasts.

Things that CAN be absorbed:

Mario/Luigi fireballs

Fox/Falco/Wolf lasers

Samus Charge shot

Kirby's final cutter shockwave

Pikachu's thundershock and the pillar of thunder

Ness/Lucas's Pk thunder, Flash and Fire

Zero Suit Samus's stun gun

Lucario's aura sphere

Ice Climber's ice shot and blizzard

Zelda's Din's fire

ROB's laser

Charizard/Bowser's fire breath

Mr. Game and Watch's assorted foodstuffs

Pit's arrows.

...and I think that's it. Possibly Ivysaur's razor leaf too, but not sure about that.

Percon

Smash Lord
And of course, a few stage hazards such as arwings (I'm pretty sure).

Not the spear pillar blasts, though. Trust me on this one. :(

EDIT: Arwing LASERS.... not arwings ;)

Serpit

Smash Journeyman
Vienna, Austria, Europe, Earth, Milky Way
I'll check on some stuff later today, but I'm 100% sure Razor Leaf can't be absorbed. It can, however, be hit back with the stick. I'm not sure if Ness could do this in Melee, but nearly everything can be hit back with the F-Smash now, including Pikachu's thundershock and the like.

Maki Maki

Smash Cadet
in melee you could absorb yoshis stars from his down b, but you wouldnt gain anything from it.

Aevin

Smash Journeyman
The list above is correct except that you can't absorb the Ice Climbers' ice shot. You could in Melee, but you no longer can in Brawl. I've tried this with both characters, and neither can, much to my disappointment. I was actually testing to see if Ness's PK Magnet absorbed things Lucas's couldn't, and that's a negative.

They can, however, still absorb the Blizzard move.

Aevin

Smash Journeyman
Don't know about Dedede's stars, but you can absorb the beams of his waddle-doos (the bright orange Waddle-dees with huge eyeballs). Restores a ton if you're right in their faces, too. Believe me. It's awesome.

EDIT: Found out today that you can absorb Dedede's stars. Unlike yoshi's in Melee, they do restore your damage percentage, too.

Aevin

Smash Journeyman
I'll tell you one thing. You can't absorb Samus's beam cannon.:smiliegor

Don't ask.

leafgreen386

Dirty camper
I'll tell you one thing. You can't absorb Samus's beam cannon.:smiliegor

Don't ask.
...What the freak? You can't absorb the charge shot? Can someone explain to me what logic it makes when it's considered a beam weapon, firing blasts of energy? Are you sure this is correct and that you've personally tested it? That's just too unbelievable for words if it's true, as hasn't the psi magnet always absorbed the charge shot?

Zindura

Smash Cadet
...I think he means that Samus's final smash can't be absorbed. It seems like he had an epic failure attempting to do so.

mith

Smash Rookie
You can also absorb Zelda's flying ball of something attack, the one that travels across the screen at increasing speed and then explodes. It has a VERY large blast radius, so you can absorb it even if it isn't THAT close to you. I've had one explode about a characters width behind me and it still absorbed it.

It also gives you a ton of health back, or at least has the potential too.

Aevin

Smash Journeyman
Kinda interesting on Rob's laser. You recover from it, yet the beam passes through you and continues, hitting anyone else in its path.

BulgyMilk

Smash Cadet
You can also absorb the blast of energy from Lucario's forward b move (the one where he gathers energy and shoots it out a bit in front of him) Actually did this by accident (I was trying to hit him with it :p)

Doval

Smash Lord
Doesn't it always? But this time the entire hitbox is a reflector!
That's not new, Ness had a reflector hit box all around him in Melee too. Unless you mean that now the stick itself will reflect (in Melee, the bat itself didn't do the reflecting.)

Aevin

Smash Journeyman
NESSBOUNDER, is it possible you could edit your list on the first page to add the things we've discovered? What I remember that wasn't on the list was the following:

The beam attack of Dedede's Waddle-doos
The stars from Dedede's jump
Lucario's Forward + B attack
Lucas's PK Freeze (goes without saying, but it was accidentally skipped in Ness/Lucas's moves)
EDIT: The stars from Yoshi's pound. (Yes, you can. Just verified this today).
EDIT: The shooting stars from Staryu's "swift" attack.

And Ice Climbers' ice shot cannot be absorbed in Brawl.

Hardcorenesser

Smash Journeyman
NESSBOUNDER, is it possible you could edit your list on the first page to add the things we've discovered? What I remember that wasn't on the list was the following:

The beam attack of Dedede's Waddle-doos
The stars from Dedede's jump
Lucario's Forward + B attack
Lucas's PK Freeze (goes without saying, but it was accidentally skipped in Ness/Lucas's moves)

And Ice Climbers' ice shot cannot be absorbed in Brawl.

Oh, and in case it was missed on my edited post from earlier, I did the test and found that you can absorb the stars from Dedede's jump, and it does restore damage.
So you can absorb the stars from dedede's jump, can't you absorb the stars from yoshi's pound? And how much damage do the stars from dedede's jump recover? Would it be too risky to absorb the stars cuz dedede can land on your head?

Aevin

Smash Journeyman
So you can absorb the stars from dedede's jump, can't you absorb the stars from yoshi's pound? And how much damage do the stars from dedede's jump recover? Would it be too risky to absorb the stars cuz dedede can land on your head?
Actually, I just verified today that you CAN absorb the stars from Yoshi's pound, as well.

I'm unsure of the percentages on either, however. My friend was looking and said something like, "It just restores a little, though." I have no idea what "a little" is, in his opinion.

As for the distance, I don't think it's a big problem. First of all, the absorb range on these moves is ridiculous. And, at least in Dedede's case, the stars travel quite far from his body. It seemed like I could actually get pretty close and still absorb safely, though I didn't test it much.

I played with Pokemon on today, but I (for once) played as characters other than Ness or Lucas. Does anyone know what pokemon attacks can be absorbed? I know Staryu's star shot can be absorbed, (be careful, though. Once you start absorbing, you can't stop! I released all buttons and it wouldn't let me deactivate due to the rate the stars were firing.) The ones I'm curious about are Torchic's flame attack (I highly suspect you can), and Meowth's money thingy.

Supposedly, I'm getting my own copy late tomorrow, so I might be able to run more tests myself. I wouldn't be on it, though. This source has failed us numerous times before.

jasonw002

Smash Rookie
NNID
Seashell
3DS FC
4613-8751-4371
I would assume you can't magnet any final smashes...I mean they are supposed to be your best move and all.

Top Bottom