• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

PSI Magnet Reference Guide

The 0ne

Smash Journeyman
NNID
toady3
3DS FC
0104-2324-5980
I think it depends on the bomb, but traditional bombs like Link's and Megaman's can smack you in the face and heal you.
Not Megaman's Hyper Bombs, but his crash bomber is a special case. Some bombs have an impact hitbox before they blow up, and others just blow up IMMEDIATELY once their...I guess "hurtbox"(?) comes into contact with yours. Like on the next frame, people. Mega Man's Hyper Bombs and Samus's bombs hit you then explode, while Link's bombs and Mii Gunner's Grenades just explode. The crash bomber sticks to you once it's in range, and then the timer begins. There is no impact hitbox.

And I assume the reason you can't absorb Samus's missiles or Bowser Jr.'s up-b is because for whatever reason they're considered impacts with a fire effect. Villager's Lloid hits you and then you're hit by fire on the next frame, but Samus's missiles hit you with a fire effect on the same frame, like Little Mac's up-smash sweetspot.

Heh, you know what I just realized? If Snake were still in the game, the matchup would probably have been RADICALLY different since PSI Magnet would have been able to absorb like half of his moveset :p
Bruh the grenade, the up-smash, the mines (down-smash), the C4, the bazooka, AND HIS PM CIGARETTE TAUNT.

Last edited:

Earthbound360

Smash Hero
NNID
Mikman360
You sure about that? I was playing with my Megaman friend a few nights ago and whwnever he stuck me with crash bomb, I just sat in my magnet and healed off of it.

Earthbound360

Smash Hero
NNID
Mikman360
I had a feeling you meant hyper bombs. I forgot about the custom, I was just referring to his basic crash bomb.

The 0ne

Smash Journeyman
NNID
toady3
3DS FC
0104-2324-5980
I made a guide on all the effects that appear in smash brothers if you guys want to see. They're not just for aesthetics, you know! You don't have to vote for it or anything, I literally just made it because I felt like it.

Also, @ Yink Yink , sorry to badger you yet again, but please include the absorption of Wii Fit Trainer's Sun Salutation while it's still charging. It deals 0% and heals 0%, because a windbox doesn't do damage. It'll be useful information for people who wouldn't think to do that. Thanks!

The 0ne

Smash Journeyman
NNID
toady3
3DS FC
0104-2324-5980
Yep, it works! Specifically, you are absorbing the exploding Clay Pigeon itself. It's one of those things where it can't touch you in order for the absorb to be successful. Like the Can.

From my tests, the pigeon alone dealt 2% and the shots dealt 10% in total. There are three shots plus the breaking of the clay pigeon, and the hits deal 1.5%, 1.5%, 1.5%, and the explosion (which is the thing you actually absorb) deals 5%, for a heal of 8%.

Great find, @ Shadó Chimera / シャドーキメラ Shadó Chimera / シャドーキメラ !

Kofu

Smash Master
NNID
Atoyont
3DS FC
1521-4492-7542
Can someone check if you can absorb the fireworks from Villager's Up Smash? It's "reflectable" in the same way Din's Fire is, and it seems vaguely explosive/fiery.

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558
Can someone check if you can absorb the fireworks from Villager's Up Smash? It's "reflectable" in the same way Din's Fire is, and it seems vaguely explosive/fiery.
Just tested it, unfortunately we don't get to be awesome enough to absorb fire crackers :(

The 0ne

Smash Journeyman
NNID
toady3
3DS FC
0104-2324-5980
Shucks. It's always depressing when you find something that's coded as a projectile, but not an element.

Kofu

Smash Master
NNID
Atoyont
3DS FC
1521-4492-7542
For when you get to customs, the exploding balloons from Villager's Up-B 2, Extreme Balloon Trip, can be absorbed.

Last edited:

The 0ne

Smash Journeyman
NNID
toady3
3DS FC
0104-2324-5980
I just remembered my friend telling me that you can absorb the lasers on Fox's and Falco's throws in other games, and I assume it's true here. I'm going to test later today.

Earthbound360

Smash Hero
NNID
Mikman360
I just remembered my friend telling me that you can absorb the lasers on Fox's and Falco's throws in other games, and I assume it's true here. I'm going to test later today.
While you're at it, you might as well test that out for Mii Gunner's up and back throws too.

The 0ne

Smash Journeyman
NNID
toady3
3DS FC
0104-2324-5980
Well, if @ Yink Yink is gonna keep up this hiatus for the Miis this long, why don't I just do the whole characters. Thanks for the tip about their throws, btw.
Actually, I already have, in my G&W bucket thread.
Mii Brawler: nada.
Mii Swordsman: zilch.
Mii Gunner: the most of any character. Here we go:
Forward-Air (5% far, 7% close) heals 7% far, 10% close
Charge Blast (4% uncharged, 23% charged) heals 5% uncharged, 30% charged
Stealth Burst (10.5% weak, 15% strong) heals 17.5% weak, 25% strong
Laser Blaze (2.5%) heals 5.5%
Flame Pillar (5% initial hit, 7% pillar) heals 7% initial hit, 9% pillar
Lunar Launch (8%) heals 12%
Bomb Drop explosion (3% impact, 9% explosion) heals 14%
Grenade Launch explosion (1% per hit, 7% final hit) heals 1% grenade itself, 9.5% explosion

Up-Throw (1.5% throw, 2.5% laser) heals 6.5%!
Back-Throw (1.5% throw, 2.5% laser) heals 6.5%!

Fox:
Up-Throw (2% throw, 2% each of three lasers > 6% lasers total) heals 10%! Victim of throw receives 2% damage.
Down-Throw (2% first four lasers, 1% fifth laser > 9% total) heals 13%! Victim of throw receives 5% damage.
Back-Throw (2% throw, 2% each of three lasers > 6% lasers total) heals 10%! Victim of throw receives 2% damage.

Even if you don't heal from them, the victim of the throw will receive less damage if you intercept the lasers with your body, regardless of who either character is. The knockback will be the same. As with Fox's neutral-b lasers, they only do damage.

Falco:
Up-Throw (4% throw, 4% laser) heals 6.5%! Victim of the throw receives 4% damage.
Down-Throw (2% laser, 3% bounce off ground) heals 3.5%! Victim of throw receives 3% damage.
Back-Throw (6% throw, 3% laser) heals 5%! Victim of throw receives 6% damage.

Intercepting the lasers on Falco's and Mii Gunner's throws not only decreases the damage received, but also the knockback as well. Just to see what would happen, I put Ness on 999% and back-threw him with all three characters, and he died before the lasers even touched him when I back-threw him as Falco. This is probably the reason why the game considers Mii Gunner's and Fox's throws one hit, and Falco's two, according to the Combo counter in Training mode.

And no matter what custom laser you have for Fox or Falco or the Mii Gunner, their throws will be consistent.

Also, as a final note, you'll never be able to absorb their throws in 1v1. Even if you're at a ridiculous percent, and you can act out of tumble before Falco's laser hits you, wouldn't you know it. It dissipates. And Fox's basically always hit you; they move too fast. Same goes for Mii Gunner.

Last edited:

The 0ne

Smash Journeyman
NNID
toady3
3DS FC
0104-2324-5980
Forgot to mention: Mii Gunner's up and back throws deal set knockback INTO the laser, and the laser is actually what kills you at 999%. So if you absorb the laser when your teammate is being thrown, you can literally save their life.

Yink

The Robo-PSIentist
NNID
SSBYink
I'm sorry about the hiatus. I had a death in my family and we're grieving. I'll be sure to edit this tomorrow. Thank you for your work and your patience.

PKBeam

Smash Lord
NNID
PKBeam64
Switch FC
SW 0386 4264 7224
I'm sorry about the hiatus. I had a death in my family and we're grieving. I'll be sure to edit this tomorrow. Thank you for your work and your patience.
my condolences to you and your family. a death of a relative is a horrible thing to face.

The 0ne

Smash Journeyman
NNID
toady3
3DS FC
0104-2324-5980
Thank you very much for devotion to the community despite the tragedy you've had to deal with.

The 0ne

Smash Journeyman
NNID
toady3
3DS FC
0104-2324-5980
I'm glad to say that I've edited my signature and found that PAC-MAN's Dire Hydrant Custom can be absorbed. And, Jigglypuff's Wakie-Wakie custom as well.

Yink

The Robo-PSIentist
NNID
SSBYink
I'm glad to say that I've edited my signature and found that PAC-MAN's Dire Hydrant Custom can be absorbed. And, Jigglypuff's Wakie-Wakie custom as well.
Okay, now that Apex stuff has slowed down too I can go ahead and start editing this thread again! You've done so much work for this, so thank you. A big thanks to everyone else in this thread as well who've put their time and effort in. It's truly a community effort.

A_Y

Smash Rookie
NNID
ant-3d
3DS FC
0963-2027-2441
This guide is awesome and is very useful I rate 8/8 gr8

Yink

The Robo-PSIentist
NNID
SSBYink
Yink updated PSI Magnet Reference Guide with a new update entry:

PSI Magnet Reference Guide: UPDATE 1.3

First of all, I want to thank @@NinjaLink for painstakingly helping me test so many things. Something to keep in mind is that I didn't test any custom moves and none of the Mii fighters...yet. I'll go back and test these in a little while once I'm absolutely sure I've unlocked everything. I will be adding any stage hazards as well over time. Here's to making sure you Ness mains (and, those feeding Ness energy) know exactly what he's healing. EDIT: This guide has been...
Read the rest of this update entry...

The 0ne

Smash Journeyman
NNID
toady3
3DS FC
0104-2324-5980
Hey y'all! If you don't mind, I'd like to check Mewtwo out. I'm pretty sure the Shadow Ball and f-throw balls can be absorbed. But maybe other moves as well.

The 0ne

Smash Journeyman
NNID
toady3
3DS FC
0104-2324-5980
Shadow ball:
2% min, heal 4%
EDIT: forgot to mention, full Shadow Ball (25%) of course heals 30%.

Fthrow shadow balls (5):
total deal 7%, heals 10% total

Dsmash, jab, fsmash, and Disable don't work. Trust me.
Although I wouldn't be surprised if Disable can be absorbed by Rosalina or Pocketed. IMAGINE.

Last edited:

The 0ne

Smash Journeyman
NNID
toady3
3DS FC
0104-2324-5980
Your work on this project is truly remarkable. Thanks so much @ The 0ne The 0ne
Wow, that means a lot! I love it when under-used moves get attention! It's always awesome when someone absorbs something, because it makes the opponent lose some hope in their projectiles, and it's pretty hype for the viewers and commentators. When instead of dying from a Charge Shot, you get an insane read and LOSE damage!

Yink

The Robo-PSIentist
NNID
SSBYink
I'm going to go ahead and update Mewtwo now. Thank you again @ The 0ne The 0ne . :)

EDIT: @NinjaLink and I were doing some testing as well and (thankfully) Ness' magnet was not touched in any way. So that's good news. It sure would be a shame if we had to go through all this and change it again.

Yink

The Robo-PSIentist
NNID
SSBYink
Yink updated PSI Magnet Reference Guide with a new update entry:

PSI Magnet Reference Guide: UPDATE 1.4

UPDATE 1.4 - Mewtwo has been added to the guide. Thank you again to The 0ne for the good work.

NinjaLink and I have also noted that Ness' PSI Magnet has not changed (the multiplier to calculate his heal was not increased or decreased.) Therefore, patch 1.0.6 did not change Ness' Magnet's healing in any way. All information is up to date.

Character | Moves | Healing
Mewtwo | Shadow Ball (uncharged): 2% | Heal: 4%
| Shadow Ball (fully charged): 25% | Heal:...

The 0ne

Smash Journeyman
NNID
toady3
3DS FC
0104-2324-5980
Ok everyone, this is HUGE. Watching the weekly VGBC tournament last night, GimR's G&W discovered a patch change that benefits Ness and G&W.

He absorbed Rosalina's Star Bit Shot custom.

Then killed her with Oil Panic LMAO

Last edited:

The 0ne

Smash Journeyman
NNID
toady3
3DS FC
0104-2324-5980
Ok so it does 5% damage, and heals about 6 or 7%.
that's a real winner for the matchup!

Earthbound360

Smash Hero
NNID
Mikman360
Wait really? Starbits weren't absorbable before? I thought I read somewhere that bit shot was always absorbable?

The 0ne

Smash Journeyman
NNID
toady3
3DS FC
0104-2324-5980
No, I can say with confidence that Star Bit Shot was not absorbable before. It surprised EVERYONE in the Xanadu chat last night. When ConeyZZ asked his co-commentator if G&W (so of course therefore Ness) could absorb the Star Bit Shot custom, and I mean EVERYONE said "no, he can't." During Game 2, GimR just randomly tries the bucket.

And that's when we knew...

The patch changed the properties of the move.

Oh yeah, and the default one is still physical.:seuss:

The 0ne

Smash Journeyman
NNID
toady3
3DS FC
0104-2324-5980
Plus my friend plays Rosalina and we confirmed before the patch that I couldn't absorb it.

Earthbound360

Smash Hero
NNID
Mikman360
Intersting. Good to know. Not that I play with customs often anyways.

Wait, somewhat irrelevant question, who was playing Rosy? I swear we don't have any Rosy players at Xanadu aside from Forte who doesn't show up often.

Noa.

Smash Master
I swore that we always could have absorbed the star bit laser.

Maybe the the first version of the game didn't allow you to absorb it. And then in the last patch they changed it so that you could absorb it. Cause I remember absorbing it before this patch came out.

Top Bottom