• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

PSI Magnet Reference Guide

PSI Magnet Reference Guide

The 0ne

Smash Journeyman
NNID
toady3
3DS FC
0104-2324-5980
Lucas' magnet is hard to test. Samus's charge shot deals 25% before staling, but heals 30% across the board because of the stupid cap. However, 1/5 of 25 IS 5, and 25+5=30. Ew math. All the low-healing things just really heal one percent less than Ness's magnet. Like Duck Hunt's can healing 12%, versus 13%.

Flare Blitz (19%) heals 24%, explosion only
Trick Shot (the can) (9% on the ground, 11-13% in the air) heals 13% consistently, explosion only

As far as customs, here is what I have so far. I'll still leave the Mii fighters to you:
Mega Man: Hyper Bomb (8% bomb, 6% explosion area) heals 10%, explosion only
Pikachu: Thunder Shock (3% up close, 10% at sweetspot) heals 5% up close, 16% at sweetspot
Wii Fit Trainer: Sweeping Sun Salutation uncharged (1-2% per hit) heals 2% w/ deep breathing (1-2% per hit still) heals 3%
fully charged (2-4% per hit up close) heals 3% w/ deep breathing (3-5% per hit) heals 3%. big whoop.
As a bonus, due to the nature of how she charges it, Ness can swoop in and steal the charging Sun Salutaion to troll her by healing 0%. This happens this way because technically the projectile exists, but it's a windbox. And 1.6x0=0, so he heals nothing. However, because of the way the move works, G&W's bucket can still deal the weak 18% oil from scooping up three. Add that to the list!

Aside, I found a glitch relating to this. Only works with G&W, not Ness, and only with ^this custom, but when he buckets the charging Sweeping Sun Salutation, the blue orb is left suspended in mid-air for the rest of the match, or until three more are done this way. It doesn't have a hitbox, purely visual.

I also took the liberty in testing some items, just for the hell of it. And no, he can't absorb final smashes. I also didn't test any Pokemon or Assist Trophies because they are completely random.
Ray Gun (4% per hit) heals 6%
Super Scope uncharged (1% per hit) heals 8% if all are absorbed; fully charged (28%) heals 30%
Superspicy Curry (1% per hit) heals a whopping 125% if the entire effect is absorbed
Star Rod projectile (9%) heals 16%, charging doesn't matter
Lip's Stick fsmash glitter (initial hit: 1% glitter, 15% hit) heals 2-3%, charging doesn't matter; ftilt glitter (1% glitter) heals 1-2%
Fire Flower (2% per hit) heals 93% if entire effect is absorbed
Blast Box (30%) heals 30%
Bob-omb (30%) heals 30%, can be thrown directly at him, like Link's bombs
Motion-Sensor Bomb (25%) heals 30%
Gooey Bomb (26%) heals 30%
Bombchu (19% hard throw, 14% light) heals 30%, 29% if it's crawling on ground
Killer Eye (6% per hit) heals 8-10% per hit, heals 173% if all shots are absorbed

And that's what I got for ya. Oh, and the only stage on Wii U that has absorbable stage hazards is Wily Castle. Hope all this helps!

Last edited:

The 0ne

Smash Journeyman
NNID
toady3
3DS FC
0104-2324-5980
Well, training. But I made sure to kill both characters after every test and absorption to eliminate staling. And also items aren't affected by staling.

Last edited:

Earthbound360

Smash Hero
NNID
Mikman360
Just wanted to stop by to say this is a great effort, and how much I love that Ness can absorb bombs now :D

JML

Smash Cadet
Are Yoshi's bombs still absorbable? Maybe I'm just timing it wrong, but I haven't been able to absorb them since the most recent patch.

The 0ne

Smash Journeyman
NNID
toady3
3DS FC
0104-2324-5980
If by bombs, you mean the stars from Yoshi's Yoshi Bomb when he lands, then yes.

Yink

The Robo-PSIentist
NNID
SSBYink
Just wanted to stop by to say this is a great effort, and how much I love that Ness can absorb bombs now :D
Thank you very much, EB360. :) Yes, it's a bit odd that bombs are complete energy now but I guess that's just how Sakurai wanted to handle them. The only curious thing is that water still isn't considered energy in any way (which, I guess for Greninja especially it makes sense; Waterfall/Water Shuriken are physical moves in Pokemon.)

@ The 0ne The 0ne . thanks for some info. I'll be sure to update the OP. I don't know if i'll add the item uses for competitive play but I suppose they could be added for fun anyway. I do agree though that the cap is really dumb at 30%...but I mean, if you saw what Ness could heal in Brawl it was pretty ridiculous (I'm looking at you, Ice Climbers' Blizzard attack).

I should stop stalling on the Mii Fighters. I just haven't made any yet, haha. I'll get on it.

EDIT: What was the individual heal % for Fire Flower's single hit? You gave the total (which is nice), but I'd also love to know the heal % for one hit.

Last edited:

Yink

The Robo-PSIentist
NNID
SSBYink
Yink updated PSI Magnet Reference Guide with a new update entry:

UPDATE 1.2 - Flare Blitz, Trick Can, Items

UPDATE 1.2 - Includes two newly found absorbable properties, items, and absorbable energy on Wii U stages. A thank you shoutout to @ The 0ne The 0ne for the good research.

REFERENCE - NO Assist Trophies or Pokemon were tested in this due to their random nature. They will be tested in the future though for completion.

----------​

Regular PSI Magnet (No Customs)
Read the rest of this update entry...

Ref

Smash Champion
NNID
Refpsi
Yo when i played, I couldn't jump or roll out of magnet . Did the timing change or something, or did it get removed? Don't own the game at all. Talking about the Wii U version

The 0ne

Smash Journeyman
NNID
toady3
3DS FC
0104-2324-5980
Yo when i played, I couldn't jump or roll out of magnet . Did the timing change or something, or did it get removed? Don't own the game at all. Talking about the Wii U version
You're only able to on the frame a projectile enters the absorption radius. You can jump, backroll, or spotdodge to cancel the lag.

Ref

Smash Champion
NNID
Refpsi
You're only able to on the frame a projectile enters the absorption radius. You can jump, backroll, or spotdodge to cancel the lag.
Wait does that mean the second the projectile hits the magnet or when it circles him to start healing ness?

The 0ne

Smash Journeyman
NNID
toady3
3DS FC
0104-2324-5980
The magnet. The blue circle. When your controller rumbles, when you hear the zhoop, when it starts to spiral into him. Or, if you still aren't getting the timing, just do what I do: spam the desired input until you absorb something.

The 0ne

Smash Journeyman
NNID
toady3
3DS FC
0104-2324-5980
Oh and @ Yink Yink , I should mention: the Bombchu can also be thrown directly at Ness while he's in magnet. Also, with the Gooey Bomb and Bob-omb, since they explode after some time, you can literally just pick it up, and then magnet and wait. Congrats, you're now immune to Sudden Death! Finally, with Motion-Sensor Bomb (another neutral-sided object) if you just throw it down and wait, it'll blow up right at your feet to heal 30%.

Last edited:

Ref

Smash Champion
NNID
Refpsi
kk I'll try that whenever i get to play the game again

Earthbound360

Smash Hero
NNID
Mikman360
It's still in the game, but since you've got to do it when you get "hit" by the projectile, as opposed to when you get the damage reduced, it feels funny with the timing. Oh, and you can't roll forwards anymore.

The 0ne

Smash Journeyman
NNID
toady3
3DS FC
0104-2324-5980
Another thing that's a little impractical, but would anybody want me to do the Smash Run enemies?

The 0ne

Smash Journeyman
NNID
toady3
3DS FC
0104-2324-5980
OK, I'll get to work on Pokemon starting tomorrow. Thanks for the interest! Always willing to help the Ness community improve. After all, PSI Magnet is my second favorite move in the game. (right behind Oil Panic of course)

EDIT: If someone could find and post a link to where there is a list of all the Pokemon that can show up, it'd be infinitely appreciated!

Last edited:

The 0ne

Smash Journeyman
NNID
toady3
3DS FC
0104-2324-5980
Completely unrelated to the last post, but I just came up with this idea that Ness's "Late Healing" is increased depending on the size of the projectile. If it's bigger, it takes longer to, I don't know, break down into magic healing goo? This best seen with the Mega Buster versus absorbing a laser from an Arwing on Corneria. It takes a pretty long while for you to actually heal, and I think it's because the laser is so huge. Fox's lasers and Samus's charge shot are also examples. Even though Fox's lasers aren't strong, they're really long.

Last edited:

Earthbound360

Smash Hero
NNID
Mikman360
Completely unrelated to the last post, but I just came up with this idea that Ness's "Late Healing" is increased depending on the size of the projectile. If it's bigger, it takes longer to, I don't know, break down into magic healing goo? This best seen with the Mega Buster versus absorbing a laser from an Arwing on Corneria. It takes a pretty long while for you to actually heal, and I think it's because the laser is so huge. Fox's lasers and Samus's charge shot are also examples. Even though Fox's lasers aren't strong, they're really long.
I noticed thsi too at times, but it sorta confuses me with its consistency. I've seen Mario's fireball loop in an absolutely massive arc before giving me damage reduction.

Masonomace

Yeah Shulk, get stuck in!
NNID
Masonomace
Would throwing Link's & Toon Link's bomb at different strengths & directions influence the damage that Ness heals from, or does the explosion damage remain the same no matter how hard & what direction you throw them?

EDIT: I just remembered that in every Smash Bros title Link's bomb explosion damage never increased no matter how hard it was thrown. My apologies.

EDIT#2: Although for Lucario's section, the 7% from the Force Palm Flame in the table is his sweetspot & it changes to dealing 8% when Lucario is at 3% so the 7% has a decimal value, somewhere around 7.5%.

Force Palm Flame also has a sourspot damage near the end of the flame tip that deals 4% when Lucario's at 0%, then deals 5% when Lucario's at 1% so the 4% definitely has a high decimal value close to 5%.

I can't test any of this out right now but given Ness' PSI Magnet heal multiplier is 1.6x, the sourspot 4% from the tip of Force Plam Flame would heal Ness for roughly 7 - 8%, almost the same as the uncharged Aura Sphere would.

Last edited:

The 0ne

Smash Journeyman
NNID
toady3
3DS FC
0104-2324-5980
I made a mistake: Charizard's Flare Blitz deals 4% on the impact, then 15% for the absorbable explosion, and Duck Hunt's Trick Shot deals 2% impact and 8% or 9% absorbable explosion. Sorry, please update! The absorption percents are the same.

EDIT: you also call ArcFire ElFire, sooo....

Last edited:

The 0ne

Smash Journeyman
NNID
toady3
3DS FC
0104-2324-5980
Also, unrelated, I found Lucario's Aura cap: 187%. He can't get any stronger between 187% and 999% at all.

Kofu

Smash Master
NNID
Atoyont
3DS FC
1521-4492-7542
I'm assuming you tested it, but I just wanted to check if you can absorb the Mechakoopa explosion (either thrown or passive) or the Junior Clown Car's explosion from Bowser Jr. The OP said there's nothing absorbable from him but it seems funny that you can absorb Duck Hunt's passive can explosions and Sheik's Vanish but not those two things.

Last edited:

The 0ne

Smash Journeyman
NNID
toady3
3DS FC
0104-2324-5980
No, unfortunately. He can't even absorb the up-b explosion! I'm guessing it's because those two things have the same coding for like Samus's missiles.

For somehow.

Yink

The Robo-PSIentist
NNID
SSBYink
Updated a few minor things. I'm on vacation so I'll be slow until Friday.

PKBeam

Smash Lord
NNID
PKBeam64
Switch FC
SW 0386 4264 7224
how do explosions work? do you absorb the actual bomb or are you immune to the explosive being thrown at you and just absorb the blast or do you have to space PSIM to absorb only the blast?

Last edited:

Earthbound360

Smash Hero
NNID
Mikman360
I think it depends on the bomb, but traditional bombs like Link's and Megaman's can smack you in the face and heal you.

Heh, you know what I just realized? If Snake were still in the game, the matchup would probably have been RADICALLY different since PSI Magnet would have been able to absorb like half of his moveset :p

Top Bottom