• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

PSC 13 Poll is up~

Tacel

Smash Lord
Idea for next prompt:
Starter Pokémon + Any other Pokémon.

Greenstreet

Smash Champion
Hey all,

I have been on smashboards for a while, but I feel like doing a little spriting (did a bit back in the day - see below). So hopefully I'll submit in the next couple of days.

M.K

Level 55

Introducing: Swampbro!
Ugh, with the upgrade to Windows 7, Paint went down the drain as my favorite spriting source .Haven't sprited in ...so long o.o.

Wave⁂

Smash Legend
There's something up with the outline on the top of the right ear and the shell.

Greenstreet

Smash Champion
Wow that's really impressive MK. I wanted to do a Slowbro one but I didnt have the skill to pull off what I wanted... so instead I went for something the judges would want to cuddle up to at night...

So I came up with:

Cacnechu!

Pokedex Entry: Canechu is an extremely friendly Pokemon. Wild Cacnechu are known to climb into small children's rooms with the intent of helping them fall asleep. They often fail.

Wave⁂

Smash Legend
I wanted to do a Solrock + anything fusion, but the **** thing gave me a headache. Too much stuff.

Mewter

Smash Master
Haha, good job guys!

Yeah, Meta-Kirby, Windows 7 Paint is a drag.
Time to use Gimp's Shift function to draw straight lines from now on. :p

Greenstreet! Where'd your groundhog avi go!?
The Cacnechu is very nice. Looks like it would make a good plushie. :)

Greenstreet

Smash Champion
You mean my wombat? Well I haven't been here in yonks so I thought a change would be nice. I forgot how fun spriting can be!

Tacel

Smash Lord
Question: are the winners picked in a poll or by judges? I'd prefer a 1st, 2nd, 3rd... (etc.)

Haha what is that? Alakazam and Swalot? Nobody commented on mine :(
Same here. Join the club:

THE COOL CLUB THAT GET'S NO ATTENTION:

Firus

You know what? I am good.
BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
Annoying, it's not nice to put down the possessions of Get. :p

TheAceLucario, I get the feeling that it's done through a poll, just because of the "don't vote for yourself" rule. I think I'd prefer it to be done by judging, though, because I'm afraid some people may be too susceptible to simply voting for their favorite member, or a sprite that may be funny or something but not actually that good. Like Jigglyoclefairyman.

EDIT: I take that back, Jigglyoclefairyman is too good to call it "not actually that good".

Rather, a Pokémon that just has a Honchkrow hat or something attached to make it a "pimp".

Sir Bedevere

Smash Lord
Campras:

This will be my final submission.

I just made a few edits to some parts, and fixed my previous (stupid) error of flipping the volcano. >.>

---

Oh, and that Karpquaza needs to be resized; comparing it to the Kangaggron next to it, it's much too tall to be 80x80.

Bowser King

Have It Your Way
Here's my submission:

Harilax

I may add some tweaks to it later on so remember this may not be my final submission. In the case I don't however, treat this as my final submission.

Greenstreet

Smash Champion
I love your Lapras/Camerupt... turned out a lot better than my attempt at it ages ago.

Here

Your's is alot cleaner.

Circa

Smash Champion
NNID
timssu
3DS FC
1891-2120-4792
Oh, and that Karpquaza needs to be resized; comparing it to the Kangaggron next to it, it's much too tall to be 80x80.
It's 6 pixels too tall to be exact, and he knows that. The sprite is compressed to its 'limits' already, as doing anything else to it would probably require a major rework on the Rayquaza sprite to down it to the right size.

Terywj [태리]

Charismatic Maknae~
Well in order to keep things going we'll keep Week 1 of the PSC to a poll, although in the future weeks I'll have a panel of judges. But what would be the specific need of the judges? There would still need to be a poll, wouldn't there?

-Terywj

Firus

BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
Why would there need to be a poll? I've only ever seen sprite contests judged by the judge(s) alone.

Circa

Smash Champion
NNID
timssu
3DS FC
1891-2120-4792
Because otherwise he has to stall out week 1 so he can get a group of judges together.

And we should all know what happens by now when we start stalling things.

Mewter

Smash Master
If there were judges, the entrants should not be required to be judged from certain categories, but they can be if the judges want to judge them like that.

Having to judge systematically like that is just tiring and takes a long time (WWYP, DWYP, the last contest that Zook made and even the one before that the Met-Kirby ran.)

I think a simple score is good enough.

Firus

BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
Because otherwise he has to stall out week 1 so he can get a group of judges together.

And we should all know what happens by now when we start stalling things.
I wasn't talking about judges for week 1. Tery was questioning the point of judges at all since we'd need a poll regardless (at least I think that's what he was saying) and I don't see why we need a poll if we've got judges.

Terywj [태리]

Charismatic Maknae~
I was meaning it as to not slow Week 1 out. I really don't want that to happen so unfortunately Week 1 will be determined via poll, and then afterwards with judges and scoring.

-Terywj

Firus

BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
I was meaning it as to not slow Week 1 out. I really don't want that to happen so unfortunately Week 1 will be determined via poll, and then afterwards with judges and scoring.

-Terywj
Oh, okay, so I didn't understand what you were saying.

Never mind then.

Circa

Smash Champion
NNID
timssu
3DS FC
1891-2120-4792
If there were judges, the entrants should not be required to be judged from certain categories, but they can be if the judges want to judge them like that.

Having to judge systematically like that is just tiring and takes a long time (WWYP, DWYP, the last contest that Zook made and even the one before that the Met-Kirby ran.)

I think a simple score is good enough.
I think a panel of judges is more suitable for this type of contest, but I'm very skeptical of letting them be the deciding factor when such a method has always been a major factor in the downfall of past contests. I think drastically simplifying the scoring portion will help greatly though. So I agree.

I wasn't talking about judges for week 1. Tery was questioning the point of judges at all since we'd need a poll regardless (at least I think that's what he was saying) and I don't see why we need a poll if we've got judges.
I kind of saw that portion of his post as wondering how judges would actually decide the winners (thus questioning how a poll wouldn't be needed), although that doesn't really make sense. Now that I think about it, I have no clue what he even meant. :\

Greenstreet

Smash Champion
Well I guess there's nothing stopping a combined system.. Where judging plays a major role but voting gives a smaller change to the overall score. Ofcourse it makes things complicated and extra work is needed, but it's an alternative.
For example, a judge gives a rating out of ten, and then the sprites with the most votes get, say, extra 1 for the most popular, then :5 for second place, then .25 for third.

Something like that. I'm not really an advocate for it, because it gives rise to some flaws still, like the popularity contest thing...but if people were determined to keep the poll, i guess its an option at least.

Terywj [태리]

Charismatic Maknae~
Or I could restrict it so that everyone voting has to post a clear concise post as to why they voted for whoever. If it's unreasonable then they die have to rewrite their thoughts or I will discount the vote.

-Terywj

Tacel

Smash Lord
But will the judges be able to get get the results in at the same time every week??? :confused:

I lol'd right there.
I actually typed it, then thought why the heck I put an apostrophe there, deleted it, and then I guess I typed it again the same way accidentally. :p

M.K

Level 55
Can we make this like a survivor like thing....? Lol.
Likeeee, all the entrants (say there are 10) and the person with the lowest score is eliminated (leaving 9) then continuing....
I like elimination games >_>;;

Greenstreet

Smash Champion
Not a fan of elimination, less spriting for everyone.. and people could get unlucky for a round. And I think it's best to keep as many people in it for as long as possible, that way more people can enjoy the competition.

Who would the judges be? Alot of the best spriters are competing!

Terywj [태리]

Charismatic Maknae~
Can we make this like a survivor like thing....? Lol.
Likeeee, all the entrants (say there are 10) and the person with the lowest score is eliminated (leaving 9) then continuing....
I like elimination games >_>;;
It's going to based similarily to Smogon's WSC.

As for judges, I'm planning on recruiting Spire, but as of yet I have no idea for the others.

-Terywj

Fuelbi

Banned via Warnings
Well I'd say that they would have to have a pretty good grasp on spriting. They'd have to send a sample of their artwork. They could also say what they would base their scores on and if it has the right qualifications, they could be in...

Tacel

Smash Lord
Soooooooooooo when is the poll going up?
I don't want to rush it's just that I'm really excited.
And I don't want to wait until tomorrow.

EDIT: Deadline is the 9th? But isn't that Sunday? I thought that this was a weekly thing. Or will the schedule change after the first one.
Sorry if I'm being annoying and impatient.

EDITEDIT: "Each 'week'" Oh. I see

Top Bottom