• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

PSA: EB Games DOES not stock the Official Nintendo: Gamecube Controller (White)

Salmon

Smash Cadet
NNID
SeasonedSalmon
https://ebgames.com.au/any/any?q=nintendo gamecube controller

This link shows that EB games AUS sells the old, first party controller for $50. I bought one online and it came today.
The controller you get is the WHITE version of the new Smash Wii U release of controllers.

Naturally, I gave them a call about half an hour ago and the nice lady on the phone and I had a chat. She said that it was an advertising error and they don't stock that controller and she will get the web team to change the item title and photo immediately. All good, I'm not angry or anything I told her. She said I can take it into a store for a full refund.

But yeah, just wanted to put that out there because if you order that controller you WILL NOT get the original Nintendo: Gamecube Controller.

Side Note, what are the differences between the two? Being someone who has only ever used the old one. This new one feels lighter and the sticks feel tighter. Along with the more obvious longer cable. Is one better than the other under the hood? I kind of don't like how its lighter, maybe because I'm associating light=cheaper and I could be wrong. So if you guys no anything about the two and which one is better please feel free to tell me. Thanks!

1ampercent

Smash Journeyman
The Smash Bros GC controllers are also official Nintendo products, but there are some subtle differences (I think there's detailed differences somewhere online) between them. You might be able to find official white controllers online overseas, but finding them brand new in retail today is impossible.

Jei Jei

Smash Champion
NNID
Jei_Soul
3DS FC
1564-4103-8935
Isn't the white SB controller that one only available online or in Japan? With the badass smash logo design?

Salmon

Smash Cadet
NNID
SeasonedSalmon
Isn't the white SB controller that one only available online or in Japan? With the badass smash logo design?
The one I was shipped is the white controller with the shiny smash logo. Its in a Japanese box though, no english on the box at all. So I guess they are importing them from Japan.

Salmon

Smash Cadet
NNID
SeasonedSalmon
They are old white gamecube controls, I could tell since I brought heaps in the past. Have to import for the Smash edition ones....
I don't quite get what you are saying? Are you saying that the new Smash Wii U controllers are like the old Japanese white ones? Or are you saying the one I got only comes out of Japan? :)

Edit: So I'm playing around with my old two original controllers and the new one and the only build difference I can feel/tell is the plastic being more rough and grippy. Which I like. People were saying that the new one is lighter but I just weighed my old ones and the new one and they are separated by less than a gram. So I don't think thats true. It's more clicky and the triggers are more responsive but thats obviously because my old ones have gone through a decade of heavy use. I'm actually pleased with this controller. :)

Last edited:

Pazx

hoo hah
NNID
Pazx13

this is the scariest part of this thread, i bought it for ps3 at EB for less than two dollars

(srs tho i have an official white one I preordered from EB with Sm4sh and it's legit)

1ampercent

Smash Journeyman
For those wanting white (or black) GC controllers with Smash Logo, you can import them from Japan, especially when you buy multiple to save on shipping, usually it's cheaper than paying $50 locally.

Splice

Smash Hero
in case anyone cares
The White Controllers are not the same as the older silver/purple/orange/black controllers.
Springs in the L and R triggers are definitely different (noticeably so, and worse imo) and probably other lesser things.

Star ☆

No Problem!
NNID
Autumnflow
There's an issue with the springs and if you push back on the L and R buttons sometimes they can get caught on the plastic, which is a real issue.

Splice

Smash Hero
The old controllers have that little metal bar to stop that from happening. You can always just swap the triggers from an old controller to a newer one.
Not the triggers per se but the whole back shell of the controller

white front with purple/orange/silver back shell = pretty good
Unless you like your sticks worn in and abused like I do, so I just get old refurbished silvers

Splice

Smash Hero
Or white with a pink back. And a pink falcon logo. Like my sweet controller.
very well done. You have truly sealed in your C.Falcon colour; no-one can take the white and pink away from you now. Hax can gtfo

Last edited:

Splice

Smash Hero
I don't love my white triggers, but the rest of the controller is so perfect I don't wanna mess with it.
Too scared.
you should really just change the back of the controller it's not really a risky job
and if whoever you get to do it ****s up you can bash 'em

Star ☆

No Problem!
NNID
Autumnflow
Not the triggers per se but the whole back shell of the controller

white front with purple/orange/silver back shell = pretty good
Unless you like your sticks worn in and abused like I do, so I just get old refurbished silvers
Yep that's what I've done; I swapped around the front and back shells on my new and old controllers.

I want to get an LED mod for my controller or just a generally nicer, more unique looking one in the future though. Getting sick of the plain white colour.

Last edited:

Splice

Smash Hero
draw **** on it

arts and crafts mother****ers

Last edited:

Salmon

Smash Cadet
NNID
SeasonedSalmon
Been playing with the new one and I don't find the triggers are catching unless I try to make them catch. I kinda do prefer the click of the new triggers as well. But they could only just have that click due to the fact its brand new.

limes

Smash Rookie
I actually saw one of the white Smash ones in an EB in Sydney. Really shoulda snatched it up.
I saw one in Brisbane as well, Japanese box and all. They definitely existed for a little while.

wood

Smash Rookie
Is this where we post our lush trollers?

i bet most of you didn't even notice that starlight gold, i bet you thought it was a pleb silver!! don't even kid yourself that ctrlr is MWAH pristine as i always say "that'sa nice controller!"

Top Bottom