• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Proposed Ruleset for Smash 4 Tournaments

[Corn]

Smash Ace
What is competitive is subjective, or this conversation wouldn't be happening. A math major sat down to make Catan have no luck involved at all, I don't know if the project is still online as google isn't turning it up for me. However, I can definitely say it is an entirely different game than regular Catan because all of the random that was important in design its original discrete win state was gone.

Competitive nature is not subjective. The level of competitive elements in regards to enjoy-ability or attracting players is.
Realize that the skillsets that premote competition and allow for enjoyability to be had is the best results. All skills arent prioritized either. Playing with a purely a wiimote could be considered a skill to some, but a handicap to others. Such is the stage argument.

What is competitive is subjective, or this conversation wouldn't be happening. (Again.) Whatever the subjective criteria you use to make your ruleset you must realize the implications of choosing that criteria. I said people should argue based on the pros and cons of each system earlier here if I remember right, as in the end that may get you somewhere. The one example I raised was smaller stagelists lower the skill ceiling. HOWEVER it allows us to reach higher levels of play faster. BUT by sacrificing the skill ceiling, we lower depth and longevity in certain ways. And... And... And... it goes on a while, but when you look at the pros and cons and decide what we want from there, you will have a better time discussing rulesets.

This is where you are lost
Having options does not increase the skill level or depth by default. In contrast limiting options does not decrease the skill level or depth either. Those are only applicable if 1-2 options exist. That absurd argument is why people believe that stages such as RC are beneficial because they believe that handicapping your opponent is simply increasing the skill ceiling for them to overcome, but handicapping someone cannot increase the skill ceiling pr their skills, only decrease the amount of skill needed for the other player to win.

What players want from a competitive game is an enjoyable experience that the player can learn from, practice for if it happens again, and realizing that the one at fault was yourself. When I lose at Smash I think about what I did wrong and try to apply the knowledge to the next set knowing it will be beneficial. When I lose in Mario Kart I yell at the RNG gods for handicapping me for no reason. When I lose at chess I realize I missed some opportunities. When I lose at Pokemon due to the oppponent having a team of all ubers and me only having UU I complain about a level playing feild.

LiteralGrill

Smokin' Hot~
Competitive nature is not subjective. The level of competitive elements in regards to enjoy-ability or attracting players is.
Realize that the skillsets that premote competition and allow for enjoyability to be had is the best results. All skills arent prioritized either. Playing with a purely a wiimote could be considered a skill to some, but a handicap to others. Such is the stage argument.
If that's the case, I enjoy more stages and what that brings, and many others did too. Read AA's first post in the thread, this happening sucks in this case, as we had what was pulling in people and what people were enjoying and we got rid of it.

This is where you are lost
Having options does not increase the skill level or depth by default. In contrast limiting options does not decrease the skill level or depth either. Those are only applicable if 1-2 options exist. That absurd argument is why people believe that stages such as RC are beneficial because they believe that handicapping your opponent is simply increasing the skill ceiling for them to overcome, but handicapping someone cannot increase the skill ceiling pr their skills, only decrease the amount of skill needed for the other player to win.

What players want from a competitive game is an enjoyable experience that the player can learn from, practice for if it happens again, and realizing that the one at fault was yourself. When I lose at Smash I think about what I did wrong and try to apply the knowledge to the next set knowing it will be beneficial. When I lose in Mario Kart I yell at the RNG gods for handicapping me for no reason. When I lose at chess I realize I missed some opportunities. When I lose at Pokemon due to the oppponent having a team of all ubers and me only having UU I complain about a level playing feild.

Learning more matchups on more stages = more skill ceiling and depth. You just pointed out a possible disadvantage to that, now we are talking on terms we can really look at.

Your first paragraph has some flaws for sure, as a smaller stagelist especially in Brawl handicaps many characters too, many of which lowered further and further on the tier list as more and more stages vanished.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
Imagine that as counter picking in Pokemon

"Yeah you won game 1, so go back to UU and let my Mewtwo have fun"

MopedOfJustice

Smash Lord
NNID
MopedOfJustice
As I said previously to several other people, gonna back up WHY you agree? Can you defend your viewpoint?
I've noticed Quilt (and sometimes JK, which surprises me) liking anything that agrees with them, no matter how insubstantial. I understand that we support people on our side, but the standard is rock-bottom.
Also, the page count almost doubled in a very short time, I should be keeping up better.

MopedOfJustice

Smash Lord
NNID
MopedOfJustice
I've noticed Quilt (and sometimes JK, which surprises me) liking anything that agrees with them, no matter how insubstantial. I understand that we support people on our side, but the standard is rock-bottom.
Also, the page count almost doubled in a very short time, I should be keeping up better.
[Quilt likes this]
Really? ...Really?
:i6rkW:
Picatchu cringes at the irony.

Dr. James Rustles

Daxinator
Really? ...Really?
:i6rkW:
Picatchu cringes at the irony.
If you follow me anywhere else, you will notice I like a lot of things. I've given out more likes than I've received. 95% of the time I like a post only because I completely agree with it. As I have read every single post in this thread, you'll find that the posts I like are consistent with each other, and if I didn't like a post that was seemingly consistent then it probably also contained something I didn't agree with, or I just didn't feel like breaking my mouse button liking things, or the author is talking about things I don't know about.

Also, it's kind of a given that the kind of things people like are the things they happen to agree with. Duh.

My current lord and savior is Super Saiyan 3 Blastoise, but I'm willing to entertain what this Picatchu has to offer.

T0MMY

Smash Master
People treating each other poorly instead of actually discussing again...

Guys, the problem almost isn't the stages and rules anymore, it's that no one can converse about the problem without being *******s to each other on each side.

I vote anyone who insults anyone or is rude should be banned from rule discussion, maybe something could actually happen then. Maybe then people wouldn't be so angry on both sides.
I disagree. I promote free speech: People should be free to be held to their actions, so if someone is a known flamer/troll/etc. they are branding themselves and everyone is free to react to that how they want.

I do agree that this kind of behavior is antithesis to a healthy discussion on metarules, but banning them is not the answer (unless that comes from a mod following site rules).

A better solution is to all agree to ignore these people calling people out, insulting them with some vague term, etc. If they don't stop, report them to a mod.

nat pagle

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0834-1759-2409
I disagree. I promote free speech: People should be free to be held to their actions, so if someone is a known flamer/troll/etc. they are branding themselves and everyone is free to react to that how they want.

I do agree that this kind of behavior is antithesis to a healthy discussion on metarules, but banning them is not the answer (unless that comes from a mod following site rules).

A better solution is to all agree to ignore these people calling people out, insulting them with some vague term, etc. If they don't stop, report them to a mod.

Or we could just have their posts deleted. Because if we ban them, everyone knows they can just make another account and come right back.

T0MMY

Smash Master
"We"?
I think decisions like this is best left to the mods.
Pretty much any discussion about rulesets is inviting site rule violations (i.e. flaming).
Let's each do our part and contribute honest discussion to further the community, and if ignoring certain individuals who operate on name-calling, mob mentality, and other negative responses does not work, use that report button.

So, simple question:
What are the elemental principles on which a ruleset which adheres to a competitive standard is composed of?

nat pagle

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0834-1759-2409
"We"?
I think decisions like this is best left to the mods.
Pretty much any discussion about rulesets is inviting site rule violations (i.e. flaming).
Let's each do our part and contribute honest discussion to further the community, and if ignoring certain individuals who operate on name-calling, mob mentality, and other negative responses does not work, use that report button.

It's a figure of speech. I didn't actually mean the non moderators should be deleting posts.

Mr.Showtime

Smash Ace
I don't know...everything that needed to be discussed has been discussed. Now we are just going back on the merry-go-round again. There's literally no points to bring up about stage banning anymore. Its just up to the BRoom now to decide and set a standardized rule set.

LiteralGrill

Smokin' Hot~
I don't know...everything that needed to be discussed has been discussed. Now we are just going back on the merry-go-round again. There's literally no points to bring up about stage banning anymore. Its just up to the BRoom now to decide and set a standardized rule set.

Because TOs listen to the BRoom. (Not being mean, just being honest.)

BSP

Smash Legend
More like it's up to individual TOs to decide what they prefer.

MopedOfJustice

Smash Lord
NNID
MopedOfJustice
If you want to ignore that and result to strawman again as a safeguard:

This tournament. Evo2008. I was here.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RlU6hcmeXYQ
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gFcnnPtUhGw

Wiki of both players:
http://super-smash-bros.wikia.com/wiki/Ken_Hoang
http://super-smash-bros.wikia.com/wiki/Smasher:CPU

There is no skill in grabbing an item that just so happened to land next to you. On top of that the balancing behind smash balls is atrocious.

Your turn to present proof.
I realize the comment I'm using is 2 days old (I'm still catching up after leaving the thread for a couple days), but my response could work with any comment on items you make, as they all say more or less the same thing.
Many items have a good risk/reward balance. Let's say you play as D3, who has the most powerful f-smash in the game (I think), and a beam sword spawns next to you. Beam swords are weak, but have long range, so you would get a better defense against a character with an abusive reach. You can't kill someone at 56% health with your f-smash anymore, and you can't use your obnoxious grab, but you have a sword. You can discard it to do either of these things, but the animation is long enough that you probably won't sword tilt and run in to grab successfully. The sword is a decent projectile (at least compared to it's normal damage and knock back), but throwing it runs the risk of the other guy obtaining it. Not all items are balanced, but we have the ISP for that.
Smash balls are balanced for 2v2 CPs. A lot of top tier characters have FS that endanger their allies almost unavoidably, like Olimar, MK and IC. Many others limit what you can do with them unless you sacrifice your partner.

T0MMY

Smash Master
Tough though, people have different levels of acceptance. And not everything people want to ban is random even.
Why does the discussion begin and end with what to ban?
Fundamentals first, yes?
This is probably why it was said this discussion seems to be some kind of merry-go-round, because the circular reasoning begins and ends with toothless premise(s). What would be addressed to jump out of the dead-end rabbit hole assumption is to really put the grindstone down and ask what it is that needs to be identified (this is the step before a solution is found).

When something is well defined it can be identified, subsequently we avoid much unneeded capricious or arbitrary bans.
With the risk of overstepping the scope of this thread, I think anyone interested in a trued argument should ask exactly what the principle elements of a competitive standard is.

There's your ticket off the merry-go-round; you've got a voice the Backroom will have to reckon with. Go for it.

MopedOfJustice

Smash Lord
NNID
MopedOfJustice
If you follow me anywhere else, you will notice I like a lot of things. I've given out more likes than I've received. 95% of the time I like a post only because I completely agree with it. As I have read every single post in this thread, you'll find that the posts I like are consistent with each other, and if I didn't like a post that was seemingly consistent then it probably also contained something I didn't agree with, or I just didn't feel like breaking my mouse button liking things, or the author is talking about things I don't know about.

Also, it's kind of a given that the kind of things people like are the things they happen to agree with. Duh.

My current lord and savior is Super Saiyan 3 Blastoise, but I'm willing to entertain what this Picatchu has to offer.
My point was that people should have standards of what they agree with and what they give support to. Meaning a respected debater shouldn't be as likely to like "Ban dem dumb gay stages cause yolo!" as a well structured and realistic argument for why X stage should be banned.
Incase it's unclear, I'm not saying there should be rules for it, as that would be ridiculous, I just think liked comments should be ones that aren't completely stupid and useless. Stupid and useless, by my definition, is one of the following three
"Ban/Unban X stage cause just because am I right people?"
"Don't argue with HugZ, he been here a while"
uh...I just Rick Perry'd myself. I'm keeping in that there are three incase I remember the other one.

Also about :i6rkW:, I just noticed him and adopted him for the sake of using him, as he is a solid #4 out of all the smilies after:mad088:, :happysheep: and :088:, (not in that order) but I've never seen him get used. I will happily leave him at the animal shelter if a Gooey Gif gets added. If there is enough space of 10 driftloons, there is sure as hell enough space for a gooey or two.

MopedOfJustice

Smash Lord
NNID
MopedOfJustice
(I'm double posting because this really doesn't belong in my previous one)
If we are going to buy another ride on the merry-go-round, can I make a suggestion of where to sit? Coexistence was brought up once or twice by Capps and I, but it was never really a subject of debate. Does anyone here have any objection with liberal and conservative rules both being accepted? The way I see it, a tournament could be more successful if it had a liberal and a conservative division. Not only would it please everyone, but it could make stage debate more civil, as liberals wouldn't be trying to change a convention and Quilt's unhappy Grimer can stop using mud bomb (and gunk shot).

Morbi

Scavenger
I haven't really been on... so I haven't had time to read everything (it has probably been said one million times). I have a pretty decent rule-set myself though.
1. Fox only
2. No items
3. Final Destination Only
4. ???
5. Profit

Dr. James Rustles

Daxinator
If we are going to buy another ride on the merry-go-round, can I make a suggestion of where to sit? Coexistence was brought up once or twice by Capps and I, but it was never really a subject of debate.
The reason coexistence is not a subject of debate is because there are people trying to change the status quo instead of creating their own "liberal" division. That's what this entire debate has been out: People trying to objectively show that the way they want to play is a skillfull/the valid way to play (items and stage hippies) vs. people just wanting to play the way they want to with minimal interference.

We don't want to change how we play the game for the sake of a few unorganized, uninvolved, uninterested players. Every attempt at creating their own play has produced zero results. If they're so vocal on the boards, then where are all the tournament listings for their style of play that aren't side events? They're a lazy minority. You will find virtually zero serious tournaments that feature items and most/all the stages. Sure, "liberal" tournaments will pop up after the release of Smash, but they die out because they aren't interested in the competition, just socializing through the game until they burn out on it like every other casual buyer. I even made a thread suggesting these people be allowed some space on the boards to develop their own scene and ruleset, but has anyone, in the past, then, or since taken any significant initiative to create their own scene?

This is the frustrating outcome to most of the threads so far: The people arguing for a ruleset that doesn't involve only player to player interaction throw their hands up, finally stop trying to change how people run their tournaments, and suggest co-existence when in truth no traditional competitive player cared to change anything about their virtually non-existent scene in the first place.

My point was that people should have standards of what they agree with and what they give support to. Meaning a respected debater shouldn't be as likely to like "Ban dem dumb gay stages cause yolo!" as a well structured and realistic argument for why X stage should be banned.
I knew fully well what you were implying. What good are standards to what we agree with if we consistently agree to the same things? Also, I haven't seen a single person person like a post that says anything like "Ban dem dumb gay stages cause yolo!" anywhere, ever. This is, however, the most insignificant talking point I have seen anyone suggest anywhere, ever. There's nothing to learn from here and it's something with no value.

When something is well defined it can be identified, subsequently we avoid much unneeded capricious or arbitrary bans. I think anyone interested in a trued argument should ask exactly what the principle elements of a competitive standard is.... What are the elemental principles on which a ruleset which adheres to a competitive standard is composed of?
Wouldn't the elemental principals compose the "competitive standard" itself? Anyway, I'll humor you with a response that Capps didn't bother to answer:

If the ruleset is always going to boil down to what we prefer in a game, what good is setting a standard? How can you possibly get unanimous consent on what that standard should be? If you did, how could you distinguish between standards and mutual preferences? Even if you did define a set of principals for a competitive standard, how can you adequately show when the standard is met? If you illustrate your elements or standards with in-game examples (and all good models for anything have to), at some point the lines are going to get blurred between the standards and a ruleset itself

All one can do is say what one prefers, rationalize the preference, and try to keep it consistent with the game's rules.

There's your ticket off the merry-go-round; you've got a voice the Backroom will have to reckon with. Go for it.
It's working out so well for you, isn't it?

LiteralGrill

Smokin' Hot~
The reason coexistence is not a subject of debate is because there are people trying to change the status quo instead of creating their own "liberal" division. That's what this entire debate has been out: People trying to objectively show that the way they want to play is a skillfull/the valid way to play (items and stage hippies) vs. people just wanting to play the way they want to with minimal interference.

We don't want to change how we play the game for the sake of a few unorganized, uninvolved, uninterested players. Every attempt at creating their own play has produced zero results. If they're so vocal on the boards, then where are all the tournament listings for their style of play that aren't side events? They're a lazy minority. You will find virtually zero serious tournaments that feature items and most/all the stages. Sure, "liberal" tournaments will pop up after the release of Smash, but they die out because they aren't interested in the competition, just socializing through the game until they burn out on it like every other casual buyer. I even made a thread suggesting these people be allowed some space on the boards to develop their own scene and ruleset, but has anyone, in the past, then, or since taken any significant initiative to create their own scene?

This is the frustrating outcome to most of the threads so far: The people arguing for a ruleset that doesn't involve only player to player interaction throw their hands up, finally stop trying to change how people run their tournaments, and suggest co-existence when in truth no traditional competitive player cared to change anything about their virtually non-existent scene in the first place.
Come on now, that isn't always how this goes. I don't want to quote AA's first post here, it's massive and just makes another wall of text this late into the thread, so please just go read it. It's easy to find and on the first page.

A ton of these players were bullied out as much as possibly by a certain minority back in the day, and many times even running these events discredits you for life in discussions for some insane reason. I'll gladly try to build and host a more liberal scene, I plan on trying some different things for Smash 3DS to play to its strengths. If everyone promises not to label me as not worth listening to for life for doing so, I'll give up changing status quo and I'll go 100% coexistence 24/7. I just don't see it happening if the past is any indicator.

Wouldn't the elemental principals compose the "competitive standard" itself? Anyway, I'll humor you with a response that Capps didn't bother to answer:
Because there really isn't an answer. As it stands now, both sides get the bad end of the stick, and host your own stuff how you want isn't actually a real answer anymore. It's kinda garbage how things go on both ends of the spectrum.

Though I will agree with Quilt here T0mmy:

When something is well defined it can be identified, subsequently we avoid much unneeded capricious or arbitrary bans.
With the risk of overstepping the scope of this thread, I think anyone interested in a trued argument should ask exactly what the principle elements of a competitive standard is.

Your standard is based on Sirlin's writings, basing our ruleset on those principles was even brought up in this thread, it was shot down. So matter what standard you create, if people don't like it they wont use it even if it was a one true standard to rule them all.

MopedOfJustice

Smash Lord
NNID
MopedOfJustice
I knew fully well what you were implying. What good are standards to what we agree with if we consistently agree to the same things? Also, I haven't seen a single person person like a post that says anything like "Ban dem dumb gay stages cause yolo!" anywhere, ever. This is, however, the most insignificant talking point I have seen anyone suggest anywhere, ever. There's nothing to learn from here and it's something with no value.
For the record, I was just trying to explain what I meant, as it seemed to me like you didn't get what I was trying to say when you said "Also, it's kind of a given that the kind of things people like are the things they happen to agree with. Duh."
Regardless, I think that what you said is a good example of what Capps was saying before about mindless insults.
Was what I said off topic? Yes. Was it based on a misunderstanding? Apparently. Was it about something that doesn't matter? Absolutely. Was it a waste of time with nothing to be gained from it? Yup.
Did you have to be such a jerk about it? No. That's a situation where you can simply clarify what you feel like clarifying, say it's a moot point and move on.

StriCNYN3

Smash Journeyman
Come on now, that isn't always how this goes. I don't want to quote AA's first post here, it's massive and just makes another wall of text this late into the thread, so please just go read it. It's easy to find and on the first page.

A ton of these players were bullied out as much as possibly by a certain minority back in the day, and many times even running these events discredits you for life in discussions for some insane reason. I'll gladly try to build and host a more liberal scene, I plan on trying some different things for Smash 3DS to play to its strengths. If everyone promises not to label me as not worth listening to for life for doing so, I'll give up changing status quo and I'll go 100% coexistence 24/7. I just don't see it happening if the past is any indicator.
Well, tourney goers for Smash in general are always under the butt of "Tiers are for queers" and "Smash is not a real fighter" jokes all the damn time but do you see the TO's and passionate community getting depressed and shying away from what they like? No. There's always going to be those close minded fools and trolls out there having no idea what they're talking about. At least with us, we prove those fools wrong, especially with the strong performance at EVO.

To me, it just seems like you're just coming up with the typical "those mean bullies "insert action here___" excuse just for a rebuttal against Quilt's reply. Just do what you want. If you have a strong following, why the heck are you worrying about a close minded minority on the internet's thought? Host your own tourney. It's been said many times before in this very thread.

Wow, this thread is ****ing nuts.

Personally, I feel like what Hugo is saying holds some weight, and it makes sense despite how blunt it is. I mean, think about it, he's saying that ridiculous random stages with random and dangerous elements shouldn't be played in tournament, not to say that these stages are bad, but no one likes something randomly punishing them, after all how many of us like tripping?

You could say that "knowing when x thing happens in intervals means that its viable and not spontaneous". Well, yeah, in some cases it works out. Stages like castle siege for instance are viable counter picks because of that, especially since that these random elements aren't damaging in any way and can be predicted. You'll always know you are going from top, to middle, to bottom and back to the top again, but on something like Norfair, where lava will damage you and/or save you from situations where you would die/live is something else. There could be strategy there, sure. Like, taking a chance to go into the dome in the stage to protect yourself will leave you unharmed, but make you vulnerable to being sharked by Meta Knight, or you can tough it out and dodge the huge wall of lava that comes into play. The issue is this; you don't know where the dome will spawn, the lava walls that emerge from each side emerge without warning and there is no pattern to which side they will emerge and rising lava could save a character from what was a guaranteed kill. The negatives greatly outweigh the positives.

You could even say "Characters like X should be banned because they have random elements". Yeah, you could, but take a character like Peach. She pulls out Bombs, Stitch Faces, Beam Swords and Mr. Saturns, but the odds of these happening are fractionally low, and can possible not happen in the course of a match. There is never a time on a stage with a gimmick that a gimmick won't occur; it's 100 % gonna happen no matter how you slice it.

The way I feel about this is that there is a time and place or everything. The random stages with damaging hazards will be save for when i'm playing matches with friends and family. In a setting where money is on the line, less randomness will always be welcomed above all else.

I've said my piece, i'm out.

¿Qué?

Smash Champion
The thing a lot of people tend to forget is that the Smash series was not intended to be played competitively. So you can be sure that there's bound to be unfair stages.

The creators don't care for the competitive scene. The creators only care about making a game that's fun for the ages of 12 and up. There are many stages that seem fun to those that aren't competitive players, but would be complete nightmares in the competitive scene.

I can safely say that there will be stages to be banned, and probably a large amount of them.

:peach: :dk2:

Dr. James Rustles

Daxinator
You could even say "Characters like X should be banned because they have random elements". Yeah, you could, but take a character like Peach. She pulls out Bombs, Stitch Faces, Beam Swords and Mr. Saturns, but the odds of these happening are fractionally low, and can possible not happen in the course of a match. There is never a time on a stage with a gimmick that a gimmick won't occur; it's 100 % gonna happen no matter how you slice it.
I see it more as an inherent advantage to the characters. The odds of Peach or King Dedede pulling an item are pretty low, but they were going to pull something tangible anyway. It isn't necessarily the same kind of random where the stage boons a specific player with more options or a free win as the player was going to have a similar option anyway (see: Luigi's rocket charge.)

MopedOfJustice

Smash Lord
NNID
MopedOfJustice
The thing a lot of people tend to forget is that the Smash series was not intended to be played competitively. So you can be sure that there's bound to be unfair stages.

The creators don't care for the competitive scene. The creators only care about making a game that's fun for the ages of 12 and up. There are many stages that seem fun to those that aren't competitive players, but would be complete nightmares in the competitive scene.

I can safely say that there will be stages to be banned, and probably a large amount of them.

:peach: :dk2:
Okay everyone! Pack it up! This person has figured it out, we're done here. We were all in agreement that there would never be a stage ban ever again, but when you put it like that, in such a compelling and logical fashion, I can see the ultimate inevitability of your prediction. Thank you.
Nicolas Cage had an excellent quote that I want to use for this, but I don't quite remember how it goes.

Ghostbone

Smash Master
All skills arent prioritized either. Playing with a purely a wiimote could be considered a skill to some, but a handicap to others. Such is the stage argument.
I really like this analogy.

As for Random moves on characters, it'd be better if Peach just pulled a stitch every 48th turnip (though being predictable makes it stronger, so maybe every 60 turnips or something).
G&W hammer would be much better if he just cycled through the numbers instead of randomly picking one.
Green missile would be better if it was actually every 8th use rather than 1/8.
etc.
The characters aren't broken on their own even when they get lucky, there's no point to banning those moves.
If Peach pulled a beam sword 1/5 times, and she was already top tier without them, then yea you'd look at banning it, but that's not the case.

¿Qué?

Smash Champion
Okay everyone! Pack it up! This person has figured it out, we're done here. We were all in agreement that there would never be a stage ban ever again, but when you put it like that, in such a compelling and logical fashion, I can see the ultimate inevitability of your prediction. Thank you.
Nicolas Cage had an excellent quote that I want to use for this, but I don't quite remember how it goes.

Wowwww, chill. I only say this because a few people are talking about the game as if it were meant for the competitive scene. You don't need to be a douche about it. So get off your high horse. There are a lot of things the smash players are not privileged with. We don't get a character roster that's close to being balanced, and we get a lot of wonky and unfair stages. We need to make it as balanced, and fair as possible. I can already see a bunch of new people coming into the scene, and getting completely wrecked by a hazardous stage in tournament and completely abandoning the competitive scene because it "sucks."
We need to remember that with every new smash game comes a new scene of players. If rule sets and banned lists are too loose, or too detailed, we can easily lose potential players like that.

No bull****.

Also, kindly tell me if everyone's already on the same page and I happen to be late. I read through half the thread, and really wanted to make a post. Too much to read.

:peach::dk2:

MopedOfJustice

Smash Lord
NNID
MopedOfJustice
Wowwww, chill. I only say this because a few people are talking about the game as if it were meant for the competitive scene. You don't need to be a douche about it. So get off your high horse. There are a lot of things the smash players are not privileged with. We don't get a character roster that's close to being balanced, and we get a lot of wonky and unfair stages. We need to make it as balanced, and fair as possible. I can already see a bunch of new people coming into the scene, and getting completely wrecked by a hazardous stage in tournament and completely abandoning the competitive scene because it "sucks."
We need to remember that with every new smash game comes a new scene of players. If rule sets and banned lists are too loose, or too detailed, we can easily lose potential players like that.

No bull****.

Also, kindly tell me if everyone's already on the same page and I happen to be late. I read through half the thread, and really wanted to make a post. Too much to read.

:peach::dk2:
No, everyone is not on the same page, there are 4 groups:
Conservatives
Liberals
Passive-aggressive **************************s
Random people

I belong to the second group under the sub category "Noobs who think they will be taken seriously due to the anonymity of the internet."

My point was that your comment, especially the part I bolded, was pointlessly obvious. To the point that it's ridiculous that it was thought it needed to be said. Incase you didn't get the Nicolas Cage part, he was the origin of the "You Don't Say?" Ragecomic Meme.

salaboB

Smash Champion
I'd just like to point out that your logic for why Peach is okay can equally apply to say that tripping is fine, because it doesn't happen every match.

What I'm getting at is that I think you have it backwards: Less frequent random events are worse than more frequent ones (As long as none are way-too-strong) because you can't plan ahead for them at all, you can only control damage when they unexpectedly fire off (And your "always happen" randoms are relatively predictable for when they're going to occur, even if the exact "what it is" isn't as predictable).

¿Qué?

Smash Champion
No, everyone is not on the same page, there are 4 groups:
Conservatives
Liberals
Passive-aggressive **************************s
Random people

I belong to the second group under the sub category "Noobs who think they will be taken seriously due to the anonymity of the internet."

My point was that your comment, especially the part I bolded, was pointlessly obvious. To the point that it's ridiculous that it was thought it needed to be said. Incase you didn't get the Nicolas Cage part, he was the origin of the "You Don't Say?" Ragecomic Meme.

Yes, I did understood the reference. I apologize for saying something so obvious. But like I said, there are people treating this as if the game was meant to be targeted towards the competitive scene. People need to let that aspect go, and be prepared to only play 1/3rd of the game competitively.

It was just sounding like people were trying to prepare to keep the majority of the stages, which isn't going to happen.

That's it. No need for sass.

salaboB

Smash Champion
That absurd argument is why people believe that stages such as RC are beneficial because they believe that handicapping your opponent is simply increasing the skill ceiling for them to overcome, but handicapping someone cannot increase the skill ceiling pr their skills, only decrease the amount of skill needed for the other player to win.
The skill ceiling increase is that both players need to know how to handle RC, not that it's a handicap against your opponent and it's raising only their skill ceiling to overcome it. This is in contrast to a flat stage that never changes and nobody has to learn anything special about it -- less to learn, less to take advantage of (For both players), lower skill cap.

I am terribly confused by this argument, and don't have any idea where you even came up with the idea that people were meaning this (Your interpretation -- that RC is a handicap for one person and that's why they say there's a higher skill cap) in the first place.

Mr.Showtime

Smash Ace
I really like this analogy.

As for Random moves on characters, it'd be better if Peach just pulled a stitch every 48th turnip (though being predictable makes it stronger, so maybe every 60 turnips or something).
G&W hammer would be much better if he just cycled through the numbers instead of randomly picking one.
Green missile would be better if it was actually every 8th use rather than 1/8.
etc.
The characters aren't broken on their own even when they get lucky, there's no point to banning those moves.
If Peach pulled a beam sword 1/5 times, and she was already top tier without them, then yea you'd look at banning it, but that's not the case.

Oh...you do not know how long I was waiting for someone to bring this to completely stump me. Kudos to you for coming up with that counter-argument I have yet to solve and have thought about since the beginning of this thread.

The only thing I can come up with is that even though its random for each of these abilities, it does not really effect the outcome of a match. I've never seen a G&W hammer be used in a competitive match where he got off a 9 and won because of it. Very difficult attack to land due to how slow it comes out and the opening it leaves.

As for the Green Missile, its only real useful is for his recovery. In Melee its rarely used a recovery. In Brawl, Luigi's recovery is already amazing (Tornado and Missile) so he never has to really rely on a super green missile to get back on stage.

As for Peach, a stitch face is never a one-hit kill. Although it is random, if an opponent sees it, its extremely hard to connect with it.

Mr.Showtime

Smash Ace
The skill ceiling increase is that both players need to know how to handle RC, not that it's a handicap against your opponent and it's raising only their skill ceiling to overcome it. This is in contrast to a flat stage that never changes and nobody has to learn anything special about it -- less to learn, less to take advantage of (For both players), lower skill cap.

I am terribly confused by this argument, and don't have any idea where you even came up with the idea that people were meaning this (Your interpretation -- that RC is a handicap for one person and that's why they say there's a higher skill cap) in the first place.

How to handle RC? You just switch characters. How is that hard to do? Or just pick Meta Knight and never have to worry about being handicapped. Let's make MK SSS+++ tier.

Top Bottom