• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Proposed Evo 2015 Smash 4 Ruleset: Customs Possible!

LiteralGrill

Smokin' Hot~

Joey Cuellar, AKA Mr. Wizard, founding member of the Evo Championship Series announced on Twitter today that the propossed ruleset for Evo 2015 Smash 4 singles was announced on the Evo Website and that they were open to suggestions but the ruleset must be finalized by 3/27.

There was a problem fetching the tweet
This is the current ruleset according to the Evo website:
  • Game version: US Nintendo WiiU
  • Game Settings: 2 Stock, 5 Minute Time Limit, 2/3 Games
  • Starter stages: Battlefield, Final Destination, Smashville
  • Counter-pick stages: Castle Siege, Delfino Plaza, Duck Hunt, Halberd, Lylat Cruise, Town & City
  • Winning player is not locked into the same character for the next match, but has to pick before loser selects character.
  • You may not choose a stage you have already won on unless mutually agreed to.
It became clear that the statement was serious when @Amazing Ampharos who is the creator of the Custom Moves Project on Smashboards tweeted him about the use of custom moves and got this response:

With customs looking to be approved for Evo 2015 this reporter asked Mr. Wizard his thoughts on additional stages and also got a most interesting response:

In summary, the stagelist itself has been locked in by Nintendo itself due to issues in licensing involving the music on the stages. This unusual choice from this reporter's previous question as to why Kongo Jungle 64 and Skyloft were not legal leads to the possibility that the music on those and other stages may somehow be a reason that the stages aren't legal at the event. With this being the first ever Nintendo sanctioned stagelist of its kind for a major event it will be curious to see if Nintendo has any other say within rulesets at major tournaments they sponsor in the future. We will keep this article updated with any other possible news and changes to the ruleset if and when they are announced.

UPDATE: It seems that while new stages cannot be added whether or not stages are starter or counterpick could still be changed. Those interested in possibly having a larger starter list should send him a Tweet!

SmashCapps knows Twitter is a powerful tool to get the word out involving smash, just look what he got to talk about with Mr. Wizard! Go follow him on his Twitter to stay up to date and discuss anything related to Smash!

Last edited:

SBphiloz4

Gatekeeper of the Shadows
NNID
SBphiloz4
3DS FC
3325-2450-2084
Still would rather have a 3-stock, 8 minute match to give more diversity and viability for more characters, but I don't think that would happen unfortunately. Stage list seems good, but again, based on the stage available and the general rules, don't be surprised if another Diddy wins a big tourney.

Now, PLEASE. Best of 5 ONLY in Loser's Finals, Winner's Finals and Grand Finals. AND LIMITED TIME/NO COACHING.

_Magus_

Smash Lord
NNID
DeadlyTaco
3DS FC
1306-7596-5996
Kongo I could see being banned by the Big N for Rare shennanigans, but Skyloft?? Nintendo owns that IP. If somone could explain their reasoning to me, I'd greatly appreciate it. :p

Seiniyta

Smash Cadet
Still would rather have a 3-stock, 8 minute match to give more diversity and viability for more characters, but I don't think that would happen unfortunately. Stage list seems good, but again, based on the stage available and the general rules, don't be surprised if another Diddy wins a big tourney.

Now, PLEASE. Best of 5 ONLY in Loser's Finals, Winner's Finals and Grand Finals. AND LIMITED TIME/NO COACHING.
If Custom moves become a thing I'm curious how Diddy Kong will fare. I don't think he'll be as dominant. If he's overly dominant even without. He's good for sure, but the players that make him look amazing are also well super amazing people skillwise.

Blitzus

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
4253-3622-3146
Huh. Nintendo can't license their own music for a tournament. That's interesting.
It's also a shame that there's no wuhu here. Not a fan of Smash 4, but something that it is missing is stage diversity.
Ah well. regardless of which character wins the tournament, the most important thing is that there will be good smash to watch, both from Melee and this game.

WispBae

Tsundere Princess
NNID
The-Wispy
3DS FC
5343-7751-0954
So we can't use certain stages... because Nintendo doesn't want to be sued... by themselves... for using their own music...

...:happysheep:NINTENDO LOGIC:happysheep:

bhats001

Smash Rookie
Shame about the music... Minor Circuit would be fun to listen to while watching Bowser beat Donkey Kong to a pulp
:bowser::dk:

chaosmasterro

Smash Apprentice
NNID
chaosmasterro
A step in the right direction. Finally! I was not going to watch Evo if it was a vanilla smash 4 ruleset and just put my attention in melee.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
Kongo I could see being banned by the Big N for Rare shennanigans, but Skyloft?? Nintendo owns that IP. If somone could explain their reasoning to me, I'd greatly appreciate it. :p
No. If the problem was the music not being Nintendo's, it wouldn't be in Smash 4 at all. Besides that, Nintendo 100% owns everything DKC related.

This problem is something else that may not have to do with those specific stages.

_Magus_

Smash Lord
NNID
DeadlyTaco
3DS FC
1306-7596-5996
*has a thought* it could also be some weird NoA vs NoJ stuff. Like how Capcom of America sent out stuff to youtubers to promote SF5, but Capcom of Japan had their videos taken down for copyright infringement. Unlikely, but it could be possible.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Music licensing? That's kind of strange. Pokemon being 2nd Party and DKC/Rare I guess I get, but why not Wuhu/Skyloft?

Hype for customs though.

Xenado

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Stevoman810
3DS FC
4699-7704-3965
i swear if another Diddy kong wins...

Space Stranger

space cowboy
NNID
ThePowerBlaster
3DS FC
1160-9748-6431
Even with customs, characters like :4metaknight: will still cry. :troll:

Everyone else should be good though.

PK_Wonder

Smash Lord
I hope they reconsider 3 stock/best of 3. That takes significantly less time than 2 stock/bo5 and encourages much more exciting play.

Gawain

Smash Lord
NNID
Gawain
3DS FC
5069-4113-9796
Customs at Evo? Sounds awesome.

As for the legalese, I'm not really surprised that there could be an issue, due to composers and what not working under Nintendo not necessarily being owned by them. Oftentimes the music is licensed out for a specific use: having it show up in a tournament could cause problems if there's grey area in the licensing agreement. Though I'd be surprised if Nintendo doesn't work that out since they seem intent on continuing along this train.

Stryker

Smash Journeyman
AHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAA.

Smash 4 is the epitome of competitive gaming. It's a good thing their comprehensive stage list is based on balance analysis of fairness and counterplay.
It's also a good thing they have lots of stages to choose from. I see this being a huge help for the entire smash community moving forward in it's interaction with nintendo.

I would keep going, but I'm giggling to type properly.

RobinOnDrugs

Your Friendly Neighborhood Scavenger
With TeamSp00ky and events like Xanadu, Smash Attack, and Shockwave introducing custom tournaments in the coming weeks, it shouldn't come by surprise that EVO 2015 will allow for customs to be legal. All that would need to be done is have a group with fully unlocked 3DSs transfer everything over to the consoles being used.

Also, Best of 5 should only be reserved for Grand Finals IMO. That way everything else would be much faster to go through. As for stocks, ideally I'd wish we get 3 stocks with 8 minutes....but it looks like that won't happen anytime soon. And I find it weird how Nintendo can't allow certain stages due to licensing issues.

Last edited:

Nights Owl

Smash Apprentice
I'm definitely interested in watching with Customs on. Even with the same Characters being used, they can GREATLY vary in playstyles just because of the couple changed specials. Two Diddy Kongs might actually do something other than HOO HAA each other. Not only that, but other characters may be viable because of this.

2 Stock 6 Minutes seems a bit more friendly *time* wise. Even when playing For Glory Hero, I've been in multiple matches that have timed out and that's with both of us constantly being aggressive rather than defensive.

Just my thoughts.

Edit: Oh, and I wonder why you can't use those stages if you just mute the music by changing the slider all the way to the Sound Effects side? It'd be a bit of a snore fest, but I'd rather there be more possibilities than some music. Haha.

Edit 2: Also, Customs make me wonder if any will be banned yet? I know some people don't think they're all fair. Like Dr/Mario Pill Orb?/Fire Orb Special trapping people. (IIRC)

Last edited:

Mythra

Photon Edge
Switch FC
SW-3407-0751-9511
Piercing Aura Spheres for days!! :4lucario:

Also :4palutena: will have a chance to shine this time

Last edited:

Puppyfaic

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Puppyluvv
If music licensing is a problem, just mute the music via in-game sound options?

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
Finally... customs at a major tournament.

With this, we might see some Palutena, Shulk, and (dare I say it?) Meta Knight players.

Delzethin

Character Concept Creator
NNID
Delzethin
"Licensing of"...why would that singlehandedly bar a stage from being in? Couldn't they just require the setups to set the music in question to never appear? Does this seem a bit like a smokescreen to anyone else?

If it really is this big of a deal, though, hopefully we'll see more dynamic-yet-viable stages as DLC...

On the other hand, at least they're considering customs. That's a huge step forward!

TLE_MegaMan

Smash Rookie
Customs at a major tournament? Wow... I'm not saying customs is a bad idea, but wouldn't it sorta ruin the history of previous tournaments? I've seen what customs do. I faced this link and he killed me with an arrow at like 20%...

ZomBiehn

Semi-Pro
NNID
ZomBiehnU
3DS FC
3153-5961-0908
So EVO will be the first to test the waters of "Custom Moves" in Tournament. Good for them to show balls and change it up

Zapp Branniglenn

Smash Lord
Duck Hunt? Please remove that as a stage choice. Little Mac and Ganondorf cannot reach any branch of the tree on the left without expending their Up B. This allows opponents to sit up there and stall a match, or get a free punish on them as they approach. It's the one counterpick that mains for these character have to choose every time, which also feels unfair.

KH1COM2

Smash Boss
If customs become a thing in EVO, then what should also happen is that Mii Fighters should become a thing, and you should be allowed to customize the Mii accordingly.

ALL ABOARD THE EVO HYPE TRAIN

:happysheep::happysheep::happysheep::happysheep::happysheep:

Last edited:

JuanTendo

Smash Cadet
NNID
ssb-juantendo
3DS FC
2750-1216-1018
Switch FC
SW 3345 4602 0138
seems about right for wii u and i know there is nothing i can do but i still think that wobbling should be ilegal on melee. seen a player like wobbles making it to grand finals just because this was a thing does not seem right to me. him and nintendude in my opinion even though i dont know them and i do respect them as players, they take to much unfair advantage over having it. they just play for the grab. thats why FLY AMANITA is the best ice climber in the world imho

warriorman222

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3866-8698-4754
Customs at a major tournament? Wow... I'm not saying customs is a bad idea, but wouldn't it sorta ruin the history of previous tournaments? I've seen what customs do. I faced this link and he killed me with an arrow at like 20%...
I'm not sure you know what customs mean then. customs are the alternates special attacks, equips are equipment. Link can't kill uou with any bow unless you wee already at the blastline, or he had equipment, which is banned everywhere.

Galespark

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Galespark
ZeRo already saying that he doesn't think including customs is a wise dicision in the tweets.

I hope top players like him start having an open mind about custom moves and take the time to learn about them properly.

MegaSilver

Smash Cadet
NNID
MegaSilver
This could be great. Makes everyone's character a little more unique without being too out of control, because they're only the B moves.

GaMeR N1CK

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
3582-8458-4207
if customs become legal they should not allow power ups/equipment. and also, what's up with nintendo and "legal issues"? seriously...

WinterShorts

The best NEOH Yoshi
NNID
Jelwshuman
3DS FC
4382-2513-9345
Well guys, ask for customs in tournaments and you get customs in tournaments. Huh, I guess there's a such thing as Ask and Receive after all.

Top Bottom