• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Project: Thank You Sakurai! Calling All Smash Fans and Artists! Under New Ownership!

Networker1

Smash Journeyman
Agreed, actually. Unless it's tweaked to be the main message, I actually won't be able to accept it.

Here's my own entry for the main message:

Dear Mr. Masahiro Sakurai,

We, the members of smashboards, would like to present to you this token of our appreciation for the effort that you put into your work. In the following pages are a few faces that you should be intimately familiar with. We've tried to do them justice and hope that this card brings you some of the same joy that you have brought to us.

Thank you and get well soon,
Your overseas fans.

Any complaints about this message?

We, the members of smashboards, would like to present to you this token of our appreciation for the effort that you put into your work. Thank you so much and get well soon, we have a great respect for your ability to work under these extreme circumstances. We've tried to do your characters justice and hope that this card brings you some of the same joy that you have brought to us.

Your overseas fans.

Just a slight tweak that makes it less about our work on the card and more about his condition. I'd have posted this earlier today, but Crashboards was having issues.

Art update: I'll have Mac done ASAP, and didn't I upload a pic of my signature? Because you have me listed as non-signing.

Last edited:

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845

We, the members of smashboards, would like to present to you this token of our appreciation for the effort that you put into your work. Thank you so much and get well soon, we have a great respect for your ability to work under these extreme circumstances. We've tried to do your characters justice and hope that this card brings you some of the same joy that you have brought to us.

Your overseas fans.

Just a slight tweak that makes it less about our work on the card and more about his condition. I'd have posted this earlier today, but Crashboards was having issues.

Art update: I'll have Mac done ASAP, and didn't I upload a pic of my signature? Because you have me listed as non-signing.
I honestly prefer my version, but I'll add yours as well.

Could you repost it? I'm not sure whether I have it or not. I'll add you to the signers ASAP.

Last edited:

BaPr

Smash Lord
3DS FC
1091-9057-0681
Can you put me as non-signing supporter? I'll be sure to put this in my signature to get some more people. If I end up switching to be a signing supporter, who do I send it too?

Last edited:

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
View attachment 12674
Here ya go

Edit: it didn't shrink, sorry
Got it! Thanks!

Oh, I love it!!! He's so cute!

Can you put me as non-signing supporter? I'll be sure to put this in my signature to get some more people. If I end up switching to be a signing supporter, who do I send it too?
I'll put you down as non-signing for now. If you want to change to signing, then either post in this thread or send me a PM.

Glaciacott

Smash Lord
Wait, we can submit messages for voting? Sweet! (if we can't, then just ignore)

" Dear Sakurai-San,

Your work as a developer has been nothing short of admirable. From Kirby to Meteos, Smash Brothers to Kid Icarus, and everything in between, you have shaped our fantasies and given us stories and enjoyment unlike anything else.
We, the members of Smashboards, appreciate all the work you have done and wish to deeply thank you for everything. As a token of our gratitude, we share with you our humble recreations of the many names and characters you gave to us with your work. May they serve as a reminder of the inspiration and joy you bring to us all.

Ganbare!
- Your fans"

On that note, I'll see if this weekend I'm able to work on more characters that lack art right now. I should also be able to send you my signature by pm soon.

Last edited:

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845

" Dear Sakurai-San,

Your work as a developer has been nothing short of admirable. From Kirby to Meteos, Smash Brothers to Kid Icarus, and everything in between, you have shaped our fantasies and given us stories and enjoyment unlike anything else.
We, the members of Smashboards, appreciate all the work you have done and wish to deeply thank you for everything. As a token of our gratitude, we share with you our humble recreations of the many names and characters you gave to us with your work. May they serve as a reminder of the inspiration and joy you bring to us all.

Ganbare!
- Your fans"

On that note, I'll see if this weekend I'm able to work on more characters that lack art right now. I should also be able to send you my signature by pm soon.
Just in time. I was going to end the submission period soon.

I'll end it when I'm feeling a bit more human. Until then, you can try and get a message in.

relaxedexcorcist

Smash Ace
NNID
relaxed
3DS FC
4167-4486-3541
So is the art submission period ending soon or is there still time for that?

mmKALLL

Smash Cadet
I'd like to do a signature, if it's not too late!

By the way, in my opinion your message is the best, as long as the addression of Mr. Sakurai is proper - seeing that it'll be translated, though, I'm sure the person will know how to deal with it. Japanese is a fairly tricky language.

Hawk Flindaeton

Smash Cadet

" Dear Sakurai-San,

Ganbare!
- Your fans"

Just a question, but isn't it "Ganbatte?"

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
So is the art submission period ending soon or is there still time for that?
Always. The period for art submission will not be over for some time. In fact, I'm missing several characters, so our next phase is actually another art phase.

I'd like to do a signature, if it's not too late!

By the way, in my opinion your message is the best, as long as the addression of Mr. Sakurai is proper - seeing that it'll be translated, though, I'm sure the person will know how to deal with it. Japanese is a fairly tricky language.
Of course. "Mr. Masahiro Sakurai" is just an English placeholder. I'm well aware that it will be changed in translation.

relaxedexcorcist

Smash Ace
NNID
relaxed
3DS FC
4167-4486-3541
Oh ok. Wasn't sure cause for some reason it sounded like you were just gonna push the project along with what we had.

I'm working on a Pit resubmission and a Viridi. Not sure when they'll be done though. School work and all that stuff is getting in the way.

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
Oh ok. Wasn't sure cause for some reason it sounded like you were just gonna push the project along with what we had.

I'm working on a Pit resubmission and a Viridi. Not sure when they'll be done though. School work and all that stuff is getting in the way.
More than fine. Post them here when/if they get done. :)

CaptainCrisb

Smash Journeyman
Darn, I wish I could've been around when the poll was still open. But, anways, I'd like to be on the non-signing list :p

Glaciacott

Smash Lord
Personally though, I don't see why Sakurai gets so much credit for Smash in the first place.
Probably the fact he created it. And has been responsible for every game in the series. And goes through all the character concepts and movesets himself. And tests the game himself. And really the fact nothing gets done in the game without him approving it. And the fact he keeps on doing this for every iteration of the game even after saying he was overworked in the last one. Even with a medical condition that makes it painful to play. And he also finds the time while working on this huge game to update the fans pretty much daily on everything he does and why he makes certain decisions, while also having a biweekly (I think) column on Famitsu.

Personally I don't see why he doesn't get more recognition and appreciation for his work.

mmKALLL

Smash Cadet
Probably the fact he created it. And has been responsible for every game in the series. And goes through all the character concepts and movesets himself. And tests the game himself. And really the fact nothing gets done in the game without him approving it. And the fact he keeps on doing this for every iteration of the game even after saying he was overworked in the last one. Even with a medical condition that makes it painful to play. And he also finds the time while working on this huge game to update the fans pretty much daily on everything he does and why he makes certain decisions, while also having a biweekly (I think) column on Famitsu.

Personally I don't see why he doesn't get more recognition and appreciation for his work.
Smash Bros is not the result of a single guy working on a game - it's the result of a humongous team of professional developers, artists, designers and testers doing a tremendous amount of work over a long time period. It's not like he does it without getting paid, or is the only tester or designer or whatever.

I appreciate his work and enjoy Smash a lot, but I still fail to see why he deserves such special credit for a game that so many others have worked on as well. If just getting great game ideas was worth anything, everyone would be a millionaire - the end product is what matters.

Shin F.

Smash Master
Smash Bros is not the result of a single guy working on a game - it's the result of a humongous team of professional developers, artists, designers and testers doing a tremendous amount of work over a long time period. It's not like he does it without getting paid, or is the only tester or designer or whatever.

I appreciate his work and enjoy Smash a lot, but I still fail to see why he deserves such special credit for a game that so many others have worked on as well. If just getting great game ideas was worth anything, everyone would be a millionaire - the end product is what matters.
Sakurai literally programmed every single hitbox in the game by himself just to make sure it would turn out exactly as he wanted it. Yeah, there are other people who work on them, but Sakurai is the one who specifies exactly what the game will be. They are there to help create his vision of the game.

And yeah, he gets paid. Wouldn't you want to when you work yourself on these games so hard that your health is degrading because of it? That doesn't take away from what he's accomplished. The man literally is working himself to ill health over these things, to an extent no one else does. He didn't just get the idea for the game, he directed it and made it happen. Any artist can make a model or animate it, it takes someone with drive and motivation like Sakurai to pull it all together into a cohesive whole.

Last edited:

Luigi#1

Smash Champion
I honestly think that this should be directed torwards all of the Smash team.

Also I lied. Sign me up.

Yay green markers.

My message-
"Dear Mr.Masahiro Sakurai.

Thank you, from all of the Smash fans. For never failing to bring excellent Super Smash Bros. titles into the world. Also, thank the amazing and talented development team, for their skills as well. I hope your arms are doing okay. You have created 2 amazing game series, Kirby and Super Smash Bros, and I feel Nintendo would be different without them. You also made the great game of Kid Icuras: Uprising, and we are grateful for that. You and the developers are truly skilled with games, and I congratulate you on that. Thank you.

A fan,
Luigi#1."

May you please specify what signers have to do?

Last edited:

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
Sorry, no. Has to be from all of us. What's your idea?
K. Can I at least sign my name somewhere..

A montage of all of us with signed names on it's avatars. A small square showin how diverse a fanbase he's created and just how many fans he's got. I.E., mine could be next to APC99's and below pizzadude's for example.

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
K. Can I at least sign my name somewhere..

A montage of all of us with signed names on it's avatars. A small square showin how diverse a fanbase he's created and just how many fans he's got. I.E., mine could be next to APC99's and below pizzadude's for example.
You may sign your name like everyone else, definitely.

That's an interesting idea for the format, but I'm not sure it would work since signatures have a tendency of being longer than they are tall, and all avatars would be square. I'll look into it, but it'll probably end up being fairly bland as to showcase the art.

A bit late to the party, but may I be a signing supporter?
Always! The signature portion of the contest is continuing on until we start making the card itself. Just post your signature here when you have it. I'll add you to the "will be signing" list in the meantime.

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
You may sign your name like everyone else, definitely.

That's an interesting idea for the format, but I'm not sure it would work since signatures have a tendency of being longer than they are tall, and all avatars would be square. I'll look into it, but it'll probably end up being fairly bland as to showcase the art.

Always! The signature portion of the contest is continuing on until we start making the card itself. Just post your signature here when you have it. I'll add you to the "will be signing" list in the meantime.
No sigs, lol. Just avis.

I meant all those that are signing the card, sorry if that was unclear.

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
Dude are you a former prosecuter of Miiverse? Who worked on the case of Shadow?
Also are you adding me to the signer's list yet?
I don't suppose continuing this conversation in PMs would be possible, would it?

No sigs, lol. Just avis.

I meant all those that are signing the card, sorry if that was unclear.
I'm talking about the signing signature. Not the forum signature. If we were to add avatars, then it would be our icons in squares with our signatures over them.

Am I on the same page as you?

Top Bottom