• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Project M - Yoshi matches

Cuban Pete

King of the Rumba Beat
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=94WuKOwCscI&
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oAgcIIfYRsQ&

I would absolutely love some critique. I'm a fairly new yoshi and any help is appreciated.

Some things I noticed about myself:
I feel like I tend to get too aggressive and don't space as much as I should.

I tend to fair more than any other aerial so I need to fix that too

I also don't wave dash/land or dash dance at all, but I'm working on mixing those into my playstyle as I get used to the character.

I also have no idea how to fight ganon.

Last edited:

Scatz

Smash Champion
@ didds didds , I finished the rest of my review. Playing without people definitely sucks, but if you can find a way to get Netplay or the new Wifi, then you'll definitely see faster improvement.

Dinowulf

Smash Journeyman
@ Cuban Pete Cuban Pete somethings i can advise you about is you need to watch your use of your down + B. Your use of Eggroll has a lot of good intention but the way you was using it in the air was really really risky. Also if you use the eggroll to recover from the side i would advise you use the Egg roll (Cancel) a lot more often. if you roll back and falling down at the same time you lose priority and attacks. Another thing i would recommend is that playing Yoshi agreesively is going to make you lose your stocks really really fast. I would advise you play a little more defensively. Through a few eggs to keep your opponent guessing. Also if you use down + A (Tilt) and they are knocked over to the direction you used the tile. You're more then likely can use the dash grab to connect for more damage. (Be sure you use the pummel more and the down throw in those situations to)

Cuban Pete

King of the Rumba Beat
@ Cuban Pete Cuban Pete somethings i can advise you about is you need to watch your use of your down + B. Your use of Eggroll has a lot of good intention but the way you was using it in the air was really really risky. Also if you use the eggroll to recover from the side i would advise you use the Egg roll (Cancel) a lot more often. if you roll back and falling down at the same time you lose priority and attacks. Another thing i would recommend is that playing Yoshi agreesively is going to make you lose your stocks really really fast. I would advise you play a little more defensively. Through a few eggs to keep your opponent guessing. Also if you use down + A (Tilt) and they are knocked over to the direction you used the tile. You're more then likely can use the dash grab to connect for more damage. (Be sure you use the pummel more and the down throw in those situations to)
I'll keep that in mind. Guess I'ma have to go into the lab and learn how egg throw works.

didds

Smash Lord
Thanks for asking me! :D I didn't get to watch all of your matches, but what I saw, I saw throughout.

Definitely work on your recovery options. As far as I saw, you really only used Egg Roll as recovery. Use eggs to pressure them on stage, and that helps out a ton. Two eggs is enough IMO. The proceed to use egg roll, or aerials or whatever to recover. Rising aerials are also nice mixups, especially if your opponent is chasin you off stage. Rising aerial fairs are what I usually do.

You seem to only do one thing out of throws. U air. Out of dthrow, you can do a ton of things, depending on their DI. Fair, bair, dair, dSpecial, nair, nSpecial, uair, I've done it all. I say this with everybody, but explore your options. You never know what you'll find.

That said, your uairs after dthrow are lovely. :)

Another point about throws... You'd randomly throw out throws other then Dthrow. Personally, I don't find much use for any other throw. But I could be wrong. Perhaps you were using them as DI mixups, audino for sure.

You move fast when you aren't fighting, like doing button checks. But when you get into the fighting you slow down. Try and keep that same speed when fighting.

About what you're working on:

- I definitely agree with that. It's a problem I have too, so I cannot harp on you too much for it, but definitely work on it. (So will I xD)
-I believe I touched on that.
-I touched on that.
-Heck yes it is. I'm working on that as well.
-This one is the kicker. Yes it is amazing. DO NOT just go hog wild with it. Add some egg roll into your game. It works SUPER well for combos and tech chases. Approaches... Not as much. It works well, but smart, good players can counter it and punish.
Everything else in that list, I agree with.

Overall, @ didds didds , your Yoshi is quite good dude! Keep at it! Also, congrats on the seventh place! :)
I almost forgot to mention, the throw mixup is usually an input error, but I will occasionally use back or forward throw to set up for an edgeguard.

@ didds didds , I finished the rest of my review. Playing without people definitely sucks, but if you can find a way to get Netplay or the new Wifi, then you'll definitely see faster improvement.
I'll look into getting netplay, I'm not very tech savvy, but I've got some friends that could probably hook me up with some help. Again, thanks for the critique, I definitely have some gameplay issues that aren't quite apparent until I'm getting beat solidly and you really helped me pinpoint some of my bad habits.

I'll be sure to let everyone know how I do at my next tournament, whenever that is of course

Last edited:

Mumbo

Smash Journeyman
I had a video to link but I can't link until I've made 10 posts, so I'll just post this bit. I think we should use this thread a lot more since we don't have a ton of Yoshis out there in major tournaments giving us a constant stream of videos of high level play. It's also good to get advice here because there are probably not many Yoshis better than you in your area with so many viable characters in PM, Yoshi being an unpopular one.

Mumbo

Smash Journeyman
I've got two tournament sets to share. The first is against a really good friend of mine, a Snake named Brave. http://www.twitch.tv/vsgc/b/557871218?t=1h07m32s. I played pretty poorly but it was still an interesting set. Brave got some really sweet kills on me. From this set I learned tranq beats eggroll and Snake's up-b is not to be played with offstage. By the way, ignore the commentators. Brave and the commentators are all really good friends of mine so it was all in good fun.

The second set is from a week later (this past Wednesday) against a Zero Suit Samus named Jeck. http://www.twitch.tv/vsgc/b/560211262?t=18m0s. Jeck ended up placing third in this tournament so I don't know if he played like ass against me or if he just didn't know the Yoshi matchup. He told me he switched to Ike game 2 because he thought he could deal with the jump armor more effectively. Brave the Snake actually commentates this match. I think I need to get better at punishing the tethers and this matchup won't be so hard for me. I made a lot of entry-level mistakes like fast-falling at the ledge and rolling into fully charged smashes but otherwise I did ok.

Of course, any advice, tips, comments, or ripping on me for poor decisions and being bad would be greatly appreciated.

Top Bottom