• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Project M vs Melee

DualX

Smash Apprentice
To me, Project M feels more like a sequel, a very polished sequel at that, and the one that should have been released back in 2008.

-More characters
-Better balancing (as well as dabbling in the decloning area - i.e. Ganondorf)
-More/better stages (and a chance to fix ones that need to be)
-Better details/graphics
-Way more customization options (to include including more alternate outfits, stages, music, etc)

Unsure why people keep calling it a cheap knockoff when it has the potential to be so much more than the source it was inspired from.

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
I am not sure the idea is if people are bothered by the number of match-ups to play or not. Well, I have heard of that several player in P:M. The game is still way too new to really have adequate experience against a good portion of the cast and its annoying to lose to someone out of area simply because no one plays the match-up you do.

Anyway, the idea I was getting at earlier was a game does not have to be ideally balanced among all its characters. A game merely needs to have some minimum number of balanced characters relative to each other. Brawl sort of messed that up by having MK who was not toned down to the rest of the top tier. Otherwise, its top tier cast of Olimar, Diddy, ICs, Falco, Marth, Wario, Snake, etc. was enough diversity to make it a fun game and relatively balanced set of match-ups among themselves.

For both Brawl and Melee in this scope I do not think they became any worse of a game despite having more unused characters for many people. They both had a set of fun characters with all different play-styles. In this regard, I do not think P:M will really be any worse or better of a game by having say 40+ characters be fairly close to each other. It has very well achieved a good set of play-styles among all characters and reduced the barrier between top and bottom. That I think is the goal with any balance to reduce top and bottom tier differences, but accept that there will always be some top and bottom tier spectrum among a cast.

Now, the next thing I wish would happen is a final release which I know will not change in the next 5+ years. That way I can try to become a master with whatever character I feel like playing with and the effort I put into learning a character a year ago does not end up changing across some 40+ characters.
I disagree heavily on the bolded.

It adds appeal and life to a game when having a smaller pool can really kill a game's hype or viewership. League doesn't leave the game alone because it understands balance changes do not stop, it's a never ending job unless support for the game stops, Marvel vs Capcom 3 which is also dying right now off that and it's horrific balance/gameplay issues that needed to be patched before the license got taken by Disney.

This is why from a design standpoint you focus on smaller/gradual changes, not large game altering ones in every patch. League only does that once every time a new season roles around or a large gameplay problem is shown, like the AP item changes that are occurring soon in 5.13 whenever that gets released.

To me, Project M feels more like a sequel, a very polished sequel at that, and the one that should have been released back in 2008.

-More characters
-Better balancing (as well as dabbling in the decloning area - i.e. Ganondorf)
-More/better stages (and a chance to fix ones that need to be)
-Better details/graphics
-Way more customization options (to include including more alternate outfits, stages, music, etc)

Unsure why people keep calling it a cheap knockoff when it has the potential to be so much more than the source it was inspired from.
It's because people hate it changing even small things.

What I will never take away from PM personally is that it is the best made smash mod by far.

_A1

Smash Apprentice
PM feels a lot smoother in 3.6. Now I actually enjoy moving around with Falco.

Flamma

Smash Rookie
To be honest, both are still video games that are based on a series of 1's and 0's. So all you need to do to make PM like melee is to change a bunch of numbers to be the same as melee. That's literally IT. NOTHING ELSE TO IT.

Kurri ★

#PlayUNIST
Switch FC
7334-0298-1902
To be honest, both are still video games that are based on a series of 1's and 0's. So all you need to do to make PM like melee is to change a bunch of numbers to be the same as melee. That's literally IT. NOTHING ELSE TO IT.
The compsci major in me is screaming. Unless you want to have a complete mess of a game, that's not how it works. So really, there's a lot more to it. Besides, PM isn't trying to be like Melee, it's trying to be it's own thing.

masterpad

Smash Journeyman
The Devs certainly made wavelanding in PM, but they didn't replicate the same fluidity of the Melee waveland.

Fox is the same in both games which have the same essential mechanics, so how does Hax look so much smoother in Melee? Because the engine is just smoother. Simple as that.
With pm3.6 you should ne satisfied...the game engine is now smooth as mêlée for real!

Spak

Hero of Neverwinter
With pm3.6 you should ne satisfied...the game engine is now smooth as mêlée for real!
That's what people have been telling me since 3.0, but alas, it still feels different. Different is OK because it's trying to find its own path rather than following Melee's tracks, but I still prefer Melee.

masterpad

Smash Journeyman
Mélée is great but there is something i really hate in mélée: The huge imbalance between the fighter.

More of half of the fighters are not viable in tournament but mélée was the great start of our Smash competitive adventure so i can forgive him that...

Top Bottom