• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Project M Social Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sterowent

Smash Ace
I'm writing an article on 2.5 for a gaming news/reviews/journalism site I write for, Gather Your Party, along with a general summary of the project as a whole and installation instructions. Along with copious links to info sites and youtube videos showcasing Project M. I'll link it here when it gets published, going through editing now.
oh ****, i love that site. had no idea we had one of you guys around.

Evilagram

Smash Journeyman
oh ****, i love that site. had no idea we had one of you guys around.
I'm the only guy on the site with any real interest in fighting games, I just got accepted recently. I've been hanging around the brawl modding community a long time.

Soft Serve

softie
Premium
We love you PMBR. We're just impatient smashers.

Its funny how we can always be late to events but get impatient when something isn't released early.

Sails

Smash Ace
Chapter 6 Article 2: "We own all right, title and interest in, or have the right to distribute, use or sublicense, the Wii Network Service and the Nintendo IP. We do not provide you with any interest in the Wii Network Service or the Nintendo IP. Except as expressly authorized by us in writing, you may not create works based on the Wii Network Service or the Nintendo IP or modify, distribute, or transmit the Nintendo IP. If you do not abide by these requirements, Nintendo shall own all right, title, and interest in any works created, adapted, distributed, or transmitted via the Wii Network Service, or, in the alternative, an unlimited license thereto."

I see nothing about Wii Console or Software in here. As for Nintendo IP, if you're distributing original content, well, yes. It's technically an issue. You're breaking the EULA and also distributing copyrighted material. Having existing original content among files distributed, that's a huge issue. P:M is technically breaking DMCA that way. I never said it didn't. Having an extensive ROM hacking background that dates back to 2003, I'm very aware of this. Distributing patches (Such as IPS) that contain only new content and pointers on replacement and no original copyrighted content would be one way to completely abolish all legality involving P:M, but the size and effort involved would be irritating to most and not worth time to invest.

I never said that P:M didn't contain law breaking content. I was speaking about how modifying your owned (not licensed) console is legal and how breaking this EULA by modifying it has no legal binding or measures involved, and that you own your console and it is not licensed to you. All that is stated is death of warranty.

The best part is that they simply state they will own whatever you create. They don't threaten legal action. Moving on...

Chapter 6 Article 3: "Hosting, Intercepting, Emulating, and Reverse-Engineering Prohibited

You may not host, intercept, emulate, or reverse engineer any part of the Wii Console or the Wii Network Service."

The only applicable portion to hacking here is "reverse engineer". However, you're not reverse engineering your console by installing The Homebrew Channel or playing P:M. You did not perform the reverse engineering, the only reverse engineering here would be the original breaking of Nintendo encryption which you took no part in. This is covering the ACT of doing so. That's why they have a separate section for the use of modified/unlicensed software which explicitly states again, that it only voids your warranty.

As for Chapter 2. I see where you are confused. This EULA from the beginning says "Nintendo grants you a personal, limited, non-exclusive, revocable (in whole or in part) license to use the Wii Network Service, pursuant to this agreement.". It doesn't state anything about you being licensed the console. It's simply stating that if you have modified software on the console, you'll have breached the Wii Network Service agreement which will basically lead to termination of your Wii Network Service. It does not apply to your console. Period. The EULA is not covering your console. It's simply involved by extension as it is the portal to the Wii Network Service which is what the EULA is about.

tl;dr - You still own your console and it is not licensed to you. You risk your Wii Network Service and lose your warranty by having modified software on it. Distributing P:M is technically illegal by DMCA as it contains copyrighted original content and isn't simply a patch that applies only new original content. If the catastrophic size was possible for distribution, P:M could via extreme means be distributed completely legally for actually containing no original content. Modifying Brawl yourself doesn't break the EULA because the game isn't licensed.

THE END STOP FIGHTING ME I KNOW MY STUFF

Jonny Westside

S4mus Fiend
NNID
Jonny-Westside
3DS FC
4098-3340-4061
Quick question, why are the final preparations for 2.5 being implemented on the day of release? I assumed everything has been ready and polished for at least a week now.

Landry

Smash Ace
Then it would have come out on the 30th.

Please just bear with us.
Sorry, I wasn't trying to be impatient. I'm just saying you could have said it would be released later to buy yourself more time and then you wouldn't have had to deal with people freaking out and whatever.

Still, kudos to the PMBR for all the work they've done.

Shadic

Alakadoof?
NNID
Shadoof
Quick question, why are the final preparations for 2.5 being implemented on the day of release? I assumed everything has been ready and polished for at least a week now.
Because we love to procrastinate at heart.

That said, while testing the codesets I totally 2 stocked Daze with Bowser. While quite intoxicated.

Get at me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom