• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Project M Social Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

leafbarrett

Smash Lord
well its not like we're not trying our hardest to get it to you on time.
I'm not asking for you to hurry, I'm asking you to think realistically. This whole mess could have been avoided if you had just said "hey, we need a little longer, wait until the 29th".
If we're going to abuse technicalities, then technically you've missed your deadline for 3/4 of the world, technically P:M is a mod of Brawl and not a standalone game, and technically this whole thing is illegal. So how about we not try to look at technicalities?

Now I'm gonna go to bed before I start having seizures from not enough sleep.

Jack Kieser

Smash Champion
The term "illegal" isn't entirely accurate; you're running code that isn't authorized by Nintendo when you're modifying any part of Brawl, and P:M is a Brawl modification, therefore you're violating Nintendo's EULA when running P:M. Now, the part where it is a violation of law is where the DMCA says that copy protection circumvention is illegal, and technically, any hack to the system, even Smash Stack or what have you, is circumventing SOME PORTION of the Wii's copy protection, so if taken to court, there is a really good chance that US courts would rule that P:M is illegal.

As of now, it's never really been tested outside of the smartphone space (where courts ruled that jailbreaks were technically circumventing copy protection, but that it was a valid use of circumvention on consumer protection grounds), but there's a perfectly good chance that the DMCA makes P:M illegal.

Just Saiyan.

tangyzizzler

Smash Rookie
toasting in this bread as requested; wrist strap secured

I'm about to go work the night shift (11:30pm-7:30am) so I won't be able to play 2.5 at all today

sadface.jpg

Translucent

Smash Journeyman
I've been on this thread on and off all day waiting, I'm getting more impatient but still excited just for my ninja squirtle to wreck.

Sails

Smash Ace
The term "illegal" isn't entirely accurate; you're running code that isn't authorized by Nintendo when you're modifying any part of Brawl, and P:M is a Brawl modification, therefore you're violating Nintendo's EULA when running P:M. Now, the part where it is a violation of law is where the DMCA says that copy protection circumvention is illegal, and technically, any hack to the system, even Smash Stack or what have you, is circumventing SOME PORTION of the Wii's copy protection, so if taken to court, there is a really good chance that US courts would rule that P:M is illegal.

As of now, it's never really been tested outside of the smartphone space (where courts ruled that jailbreaks were technically circumventing copy protection, but that it was a valid use of circumvention on consumer protection grounds), but there's a perfectly good chance that the DMCA makes P:M illegal.

Just Saiyan.
What EULA? You mean the Wii Network one? The one that explicitly does not cover the Wii System Menu or any of the device that you purchased and own, as only services and not goods can be covered by a license? The Wii and its software content is not licensed, only the online services, as purchased goods are yours to do with as you please by law.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom