• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Project M Social Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ecks

Smash Lord
My love of Diddy comes purely from Rare and the amazing games they made with him in a starring role.

Otherwise, I'd probably not like the guy much at all.
I don't mean to say he's forgettable or unlikable, it's just that he's the character we've heard the least from. Even Olimar gets more talk than Diddy, and we all know he'll take forever to come out.

Comeback Kid

Smash Champion
I want to correct a common misconception: Diddy is not DK's nephew.

He is said to be the "wannabe nephew" of DK in the Donkey Kong 64 manual.

Diddy is a monkey, not an ape. There is no blood relation there.

The Kong surname is a tribal affiliation for the apes/monkeys on DK Island.

They are like family, but not literally so.

C.SDK

Smash Ace
Please give Diddy his voice back! IMO, Diddy isn't Diddy without his SNES/64 voice! :(

:phone:

C.SDK

Smash Ace
Changing SFX isn't possible? I thought it was, lol. Can someone give me the scoop on why you can't?

MonkUnit

Project M Back Roomer
It is possible to change the sound effects (the BRSAR file which controls the game's sounds) but the BRSAR file cannot be loaded with Gecko OS, which is what hackless uses. Only Riivolution and USB Loading an edited ISO (replacing the BRSAR with the edited one) works.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
Why PMBR made hat flip as an idle animation? I wish he'd have it as a taunt again because it was a fitting pose of victory and has an origin.

Maybe you could switch the Down Taunt "clapping" as the idle pose for him? It could fit pretty well as an idle pose along with him scratching his back and then shaking himself.

Happy for the boombox victory pose though.

Stunts

Smash Journeyman
I assumed they'd have juggle for his idle animation and kept the hat flip, because it was his idle animation in dkc2. But, I don't really care. :shrug:

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
I like the juggle as a taunt but hat flip shouldn't have been changed for that IMO. I loved doing it as a victory pose, but might now resort to side taunt instead, though that has bit longer duration time.

C.SDK

Smash Ace
It is possible to change the sound effects (the BRSAR file which controls the game's sounds) but the BRSAR file cannot be loaded with Gecko OS, which is what hackless uses. Only Riivolution and USB Loading an edited ISO (replacing the BRSAR with the edited one) works.
Oh, I see. I'm guessing the PM dev team encourages the hackless method (most easiest/accessible)? Is creating your own sound files and making the changes yourself somewhat easy to do using Riivolution?

C.SDK

Smash Ace
The troll icon throws me off :confused:

I'd actually change DK, too. There's a few other characters as well but Diddy's old voice was just iconic.

bubbaking

Smash Hero
Baldwin, NY, USA or Alexandria, VA, USA (Pick one)
Basically, I think DK's and DdK's voices are fine as is. To me, DK always sounded kinda weird in some of his games (sounded like he could 'almost' talk in some and like an actual donkey in others :facepalm: ). I love the way he sounds in vBrawl and P:M. It's pretty 'violent' and you can tell he means business. I get the same feeling with some of Diddy's shrieks, although not as prominently of course.

C.SDK

Smash Ace
Well, for one, his voice has a personality. This makes it a distinct voice that once you hear it, you know it's Diddy Kong. If I were to hear Brawl Diddy's voice without knowing it's from Brawl, I'd just assume it's a recording of some monkey.

Play me his voice from DK64 for example, and I would know exactly who it is.

EDIT: this is assuming you've played any of the old games and know what he sounded like. It's self-explanatory so I assumed you were talking about DK.

Sanity's_Theif

Smash Ace
Just saw Diddy's juggling and boombox, I ******* love you guys

I like the juggle as a taunt but hat flip shouldn't have been changed for that IMO. I loved doing it as a victory pose, but might now resort to side taunt instead, though that has bit longer duration time.
I'd like the hat flip as a taunt as well, the clapping one isn't nearly as good

JOE!

Smash Hero
Knew it

I figured it may be diddy after realizing how similar Ivy and ZSS were: Stunnign Specials, Tether recoveries.

Looked to squirtle and thought: Hmm, moving SIde B... Trippin Down B... >Tripping, Diddy

OmegaMuffin

Smash Journeyman
NNID
OmegaMuffin498
Here's some info about myself.

I'm a banana nut.

Diddy hype. Was hoping for the little dude and now I can play all the quick and annoying characters that my fingers can handle. Woot

Edit: Can Diddy Wall Cling out of side-b or just period?

MaxThunder

PM Support
Well, for one, his voice has a personality. This makes it a distinct voice that once you hear it, you know it's Diddy Kong. If I were to hear Brawl Diddy's voice without knowing it's from Brawl, I'd just assume it's a recording of some monkey.

EDIT: this is assuming you've played any of the old games and know what he sounded like. It's self-explanatory so I assumed you were talking about DK.

i have played DK64, but i can't say i remember his voice... if i knew what he sounded like, i wouldn't be asking, lol...

bubbaking

Smash Hero
Baldwin, NY, USA or Alexandria, VA, USA (Pick one)
A fast, combo-heavy character who can set traps and throw them as low start-up, low lag projectiles in any direction with varying speeds and trajectory arcs both in the air and on the ground? This same character can wall-cling and has a fairly versatile recovery that can cover a decent amount of distance? I predict that Diddy Kong (DdK) is going to be at least High Tier in P:M demo v2.5. :awesome:

Idk, I think his voice in Brawl is quite fitting. It fits the 'no-holds barred scuffle' environment for me. Keep in mind that the only DK games I've played were DKC for the GBC and DdK Racing for the DS. As for DK, I really think he sounds ******** in a lot of his games (and Mario spin-offs). It's OK in Melee but it really matches his 'brutality' in vBrawl and P:M. Along those lines, I don't think any of the SFX and voice clips really need to be changed back to Melee status. They're quite fine as they are. I understand that Melee was/is an awesome game (and I still play it more than any other Smash right now), but it doesn't have to copied in every aspect for a game that was intended to be more balanced and, overall, just plain better.

Giga Man

Smash Journeyman
Surprised there are no 64/Melee vets added in 2.5. All that's left now are Kirby, Yoshi, Samus, Ice Climbers, Meta Knight, and Olimar.

By the way, are there any trailers made for Zero Suit Samus and Diddy Kong? They're not really necessary, but I was just curious since there were trailers for the two Pokemon.

JediKnightTemplar

Smash Lord
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom