• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Project M Social Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Life

Smash Hero
People's stage preconceptions sicken me. Like anything that doesn't vaguely resemble BF or frozen PS2 isn't worth playing.

(I'd rather have vPS2 alongside frozen PS2, and having a texture on the latter where the lights and display are out and there's not a crowd, like you're fighting off-hours.)

Perfect Chaos

Smash Master
NNID
PerfectChaos7
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I remember either Monk or toaster saying once that the modified Norfair doesn't have hazards because they couldn't get them to work the way they wanted.
Yeah, I heard that, too. But that was a while ago when I heard it, so I was hoping that some breakthrough was found since then.
It's pretty much impossible to modify hazards other than changing damage or shutting them off on all the stages, so that doesn't surprise me.
I'm sure modding anything is possible to some extent. It's just that some things are harder to do than others, and that no one has found a way to, yet. Although, a lot of things would probably need to be created from scratch for them to happen, and some of those won't be worth the time and effort spent to do so.

leafbarrett

Smash Lord
Zelda's higher short hop is both a blessing and a burden. Its main strength is that it allows you to do two lightning kicks in a single short hop. That combined with the shield damage on the sweetspots can make double kicks potent.

Zelda isn't really a combo heavy character except when facing fast fallers, where her juggles into kick finishers can be long and deadly in the absence of platforms. Ftilt->Usmash->Uair at low percents is fairly common, as is Uthrow->Uair. The speed of Zelda's throws except Dthrow are affected by the target's weight, so the timing to jump and Uair after Uthrow will vary slightly depending on who you're fighting.

Also, rather than post in this primary thread which moves quickly, I'd recommend going here: http://www.smashmods.com/forum/forum-163.html . It also contains a starter guide for Zelda that I recently completed.

Speaking of which, that would be located here: http://www.smashmods.com/forum/thread-5871.html . Anyone will to read and comment on it including criticism would be appreciated.
It's a pretty good guide, I must say. My main problem with this, though, is that P:M seems to be a game where not having many combos can spell doom for a character, at least from virtually every single high-level match I've seen thus far. Then again, I've seen maybe 2 professional Zelda matches, because so few people use her. Kinda hard to watch strategies in action if they're almost never seen being put to use.
I'm still struggling to make any significant use of her new Din's. In theory, I can see how it'd be useful, but in practice, it just doesn't seem to be working out.

EDIT: It just clicked with me that you're the lead designer of P:M Zelda if you're the one who made that guide.

Mattnumbers

Smash Master
By using ad hominem at the same time as you say your argument it's assumed that you are using the ad hominem to influence others into believing you. Saying "oh that doesn't count because I didn't directly say it was part of the argument" isn't valid because it obviously was if you included it in the same post. The problem with ad hominem is not that it renders an argument unsound or invalid, it's just that it's completely irrelevant. People like you try to use it to make yourselves look smarter to the uneducated viewer.

But this isn't the debate hall, and this is mostly off topic, so I'm just going to stop there. There is no point in talking to you in PMs either since I just wanted to defend the guy from being attacked for no valid reason.

Wavebuster

Smash Journeyman
It's a pretty good guide, I must say. My main problem with this, though, is that P:M seems to be a game where not having many combos can spell doom for a character, at least from virtually every single high-level match I've seen thus far. Then again, I've seen maybe 2 professional Zelda matches, because so few people use her. Kinda hard to watch strategies in action if they're almost never seen being put to use.
I'm still struggling to make any significant use of her new Din's. In theory, I can see how it'd be useful, but in practice, it just doesn't seem to be working out.
The lack of long combos doesn't seem to bother Peach as a character, even in spite of her inability to chase vertically due to her unique aerial jump. It also helps when the character herself is difficult to combo.

But anyway, any further specific qualms or questions you have about Zelda, like how to use Din's Fire, should be directed to her Smashmods forum instead: http://www.smashmods.com/forum/forum-163.html

Xebenkeck

Smash Lord
Kinda out of the blue, but I kinda wish you guys left Ivysaur the ability to have two Seed Bombs out at the same time.

I know the reason you guys removed it was due to infinates that were found but, I kinda wonder if that decision was made kinda of brashly, in the easiest solution was to only allow one out at a time.

I think of a move like Mewtwo's Down-B in Melee, where if you are absolutly frame perfect, you can feasibly infinate someone with it. But this move had the feature that if you hit with another down-b during stun it had knockback, not another stun effect. I wonder could you guys have possibly implemented this with this move aswell, that if they were in the stun state then they cant be stunned again.

And if that wasnt the problem I see something like stunned, ->jab -> falling seed bomb, repeat. But I know certain games implement systems where two status effects can't be induced in the same combo. I.E. seed bomb - jab - seed bomb - fsmash wouldnt work because it imposes a status effect in the same combo? Mortal Kombat 9 does this lots, the same pop-up can only be used 2-3 times in a combo before they knockdown instead of pop-up thus diffusing possible infinate oppurtunities.

I havent played Ivy, so take this with a grain of salt, but its maybe something to consider or revisit, that maybe you could change the way seed bomb hits in succession as oppose to limiting Ivy to only having one out at a time.

drsusredfish

Smash Ace
ZSS is the only character with infinite prevention coding like mortal combat I think and thats pretty unique in smash. I don't think any other fighter should get that cause then we begin to get even more like a traditional fighter. sad fact is infinites are a part of smash but as long as they don't work on the majority of the cast its generaly ok. (waits for Ice climbers)

iLink

Smash Champion
ZSS is the only character with infinite prevention coding like mortal combat I think and thats pretty unique in smash. I don't think any other fighter should get that cause then we begin to get even more like a traditional fighter. sad fact is infinites are a part of smash but as long as they don't work on the majority of the cast its generaly ok. (waits for Ice climbers)
Thats actually pretty interesting. Is it stuff that prevents infinites with downb and neutralb? What actually happens to prevent them?

drsusredfish

Smash Ace
ZSS laser attacks, down smash and neutral b, use a special collison hit box that when it hits kinda registers that the character has been stunned and can't be stunned again until, I think, they touch the ground, are hit with a normal attack, or a certain time has passed <-(really not sure bout this last one). Imagine it being like lucarios down b in air he can only do it once until he is hit or touching the ground. you can't dsmash to neutral B and compound the stun.

NNID
dansalvato
Updated the Stage Strike code. Now, stages you've struck will not be chosen on Random. This means you can strike all but one stage and press Start (random) to start the match on that stage. For those of you too lazy to move the cursor half an inch over.

This feature was in pretty high demand so I decided to buckle down and implement it!

Wobbly Headed Bob

Smash Journeyman
By using ad hominem at the same time as you say your argument it's assumed that you are using the ad hominem to influence others into believing you. Saying "oh that doesn't count because I didn't directly say it was part of the argument" isn't valid because it obviously was if you included it in the same post. The problem with ad hominem is not that it renders an argument unsound or invalid, it's just that it's completely irrelevant. People like you try to use it to make yourselves look smarter to the uneducated viewer.

But this isn't the debate hall, and this is mostly off topic, so I'm just going to stop there. There is no point in talking to you in PMs either since I just wanted to defend the guy from being attacked for no valid reason.
See, people like you need to get an education in logic before trying to argue with me. You don't have to say that something is part of an argument, it either is or it isn't. An argument is a set of premises that follow to a conclusion. You're using the term "valid" incorrectly. Nobody said that it renders an argument unsound or invalid, but making an argument from it inevitably ends in an unsound AND invalid argument.

Like I said earlier, why do people that don't understand calculus don't like to pretend they understand calculus, but people that don't understand logic like to pretend they do? Seriously, just get an education. I'm just sick of the plethora of uneducated, self-entitled internet pseudo-intellectuals that think that an ad hominem fallacy is synonymous with insult. Develop some reading skills before just jumping into such an oversimplified conclusion.

Also, personal attacks can be part of perfectly sound or cogent arguments. Trying to discredit them on the basis of that they're insulting is ad hoc reasoning.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Being right doesn't always matter on the internet. There are people in this world that believe that the last one to post wins the argument. Both of you may or may not be that way. The other guy's got effectively infinite words, and with no real way to determine the quality of them, you can be arguing for years over the same thing and make no progress.

Rᴏb

still here, just to suffer
Arguments are unpleasant and people don't care about who's right or wrong when it comes to stupid ones. I'm sorry if you feel otherwise.

leafbarrett

Smash Lord
Did this **** really begin with someone thinking musical taste is factual?
Yyyyup.

How about this. If they want to continue bickering over essentially nothing, and certainly nothing remotely on-topic, they can take it to private messages. I dunno about the rest of you guys, but I'm getting pretty sick of their stupid argument.

Kati

Smash Lord
Being musically educated doesn't seem so great when it results in an inability to tolerate other people's tastes...

I'm so happy about the castle siege update. I feel that the stage has been a problem for years now, and fixing it is an astounding achievement. I'm also relieved to learn that Axcel's norfair won't be the official norfair.

Has there been any progress with fixing brawl shield mechanics? like shield knockback..?

foshio

Smash Journeyman
the flip stool is so OP... you guys don even know! When 2.5 comes out ZSS is gonna defensively evolve around that move!

Edit, by op i just mean pretty good... not actually OP lol

metroid1117

Smash Master
Being musically educated doesn't seem so great when it results in an inability to tolerate other people's tastes...
As a music cognition minor, I've come to the conclusion that musical tastes are like favorite colors - some people just like different things and it's improper to bash on them for it.

Seriously though, please stop arguing about this. Like Strong Bad said, arguments over the Internet often lead to nowhere.

On-topic: Videos from Vro's Smashfest won't be up until Friday at the earliest, I'll be busy until then.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom