• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Project M Social Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kazyx

Smash Apprentice
NNID
CheshireKaz
3DS FC
1891-1355-7641
Zamus huh? Nice. This is turning out to be a pretty nice roster if I do say so myself. With Squirtle, Ivysaur and Zamus as newcomers, and Sonic and Wario being adjusted a bit, I'm excited for 2.5 <3

However, I do have one question. Probably been answered, but I feel like I should humor myself with it:
Q: Is Project M capable of being played on a Wii U?

I ask this question because I have almost no access to my Wii anymore, with no TV in my room, and the only other TV being constantly used for the PS3 or watching movies. I was thinking a Wii U would work for me because my computer an have 2 HDMI plugins, and one of which I use for my 360.

I wouldn't normally consider the Wii U, because of it having the possibility of no good potential in my eyes right now, but I want to play P:M, as well as my other Wii games, and that just isn't possible right now with the current setup.

This answer would also help anybody else I'm sure who have/are considering a Wii U, yet still wish to play P:M.

JCaesar

Smash Hero
NNID
JCaesar
Yes, it is possible, but you cannot use a GC controller with it.

This was a surprisingly fun night. Good stuff all around!

metroid1117

Smash Master
Zamus huh? Nice. This is turning out to be a pretty nice roster if I do say so myself. With Squirtle, Ivysaur and Zamus as newcomers, and Sonic and Wario being adjusted a bit, I'm excited for 2.5 <3

However, I do have one question. Probably been answered, but I feel like I should humor myself with it:

I ask this question because I have almost no access to my Wii anymore, with no TV in my room, and the only other TV being constantly used for the PS3 or watching movies. I was thinking a Wii U would work for me because my computer an have 2 HDMI plugins, and one of which I use for my 360.

I wouldn't normally consider the Wii U, because of it having the possibility of no good potential in my eyes right now, but I want to play P:M, as well as my other Wii games, and that just isn't possible right now with the current setup.

This answer would also help anybody else I'm sure who have/are considering a Wii U, yet still wish to play P:M.
Just to add to JCaesar's response: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=96k0YgOqHTA (PM is not shown, but it shows that Homebrew works for Brawl on the Wii U.)

Kazyx

Smash Apprentice
NNID
CheshireKaz
3DS FC
1891-1355-7641

C.SDK

Smash Ace
A quick google search tells me that she's dating Justin beiber and comes from the disney channel.
#Judgingyou

His avatar used to be his gf.

You know what I realized
How in the hell did sakurai miss the opportunity to make either pikachu's or jigglypuff's final smash an evolution?
Holy ****. Pikachu evolving into Raichu? Actually, it shouldn't be a Final Smash. I think Pikachu should be able to evolve to Raichu on command but you can't go back to Pikachu until you lose a stock. Maybe Pikachu can evolve into Raichu once Pikachu reaches a certain damage percentage like 100%+?

smashbro29

Smash Champion
NNID
Smashbro29
3DS FC
2724-0750-5127

You can, but the controllers aren't far off here's what we need to wait on:

A GCC to CC converter.

The PMBR (or anyone) to replicate soft shielding for Classic Controllers.

I made a thread about this on Smashmods http://www.smashmods.com/forum/thread-5837.html

bubbaking

Smash Hero
Baldwin, NY, USA or Alexandria, VA, USA (Pick one)
Oh, that's pretty sweet. I figured that a GC controller wouldn't be compatible if you could run it, but this is awesome news! Thanks.
Well, you can always use a Classic Controller, which isn't too bad. ;)

Holy ****. Pikachu evolving into Raichu? Actually, it shouldn't be a Final Smash. I think Pikachu should be able to evolve to Raichu on command but you can't go back to Pikachu until you lose a stock. Maybe Pikachu can evolve into Raichu once Pikachu reaches a certain damage percentage like 100%+?
As homage to the anime series, Raichu should be slower than Pikachu. :smirk:

#BecauseCanon

New background.

Also, Pokémon cards don't establish canon material. Its poison types were grass, and now they're psychic...
Well, what does "establish canon material" then? Is the anime canon? Well, that's not right because the anime blatantly ignores type match-ups in certain episodes and it brings in material very contrary to the games' establishments (such as Pikachu being slower than Raichu). So then are the games canon? Well, that isn't really right either. Yellow Version was a game based on the anime. Well, is it the manga? This is actually the one I'd prefer, but then the specifics come up of which one? One of the manga was based on the games while one of them was based on the anime. :smash:

The PMBR (or anyone) to replicate soft shielding for Classic Controllers.
I don't think they can replicate soft/light shielding for a controller with non-analog shoulder buttons unless they figure out how to seperate ZL and ZR or they just separate the functions of L and R. The only reason lightshielding works on GCN controllers is that they have analog shoulder buttons that can detect different degrees of pressure, which allowed different degrees of lightshielding (a feature so innovative that I don't understand why it was removed). :ohwell:

smashbro29

Smash Champion
NNID
Smashbro29
3DS FC
2724-0750-5127
Math is fun.

I don't think they can replicate soft/light shielding for a controller with non-analog shoulder buttons unless they figure out how to seperate ZL and ZR or they just separate the functions of L and R. The only reason lightshielding works on GCN controllers is that they have analog shoulder buttons that can detect different degrees of pressure, which allowed different degrees of lightshielding (a feature so innovative that I don't understand why it was removed). :ohwell:
Classic Controllers (the first iterations) had analog shoulder buttons
2+2=4

10 Classic Controllers

D

Deleted member 189823

Don't know if this has been asked before, but...
When I use Bowser, running requires me to tap the stick REALLY hard. Is that normal, or does it have to do with the fact I use Classic Controller Pro?

`dazrin

Smash Champion
It's more than likely a controller issue. Perhaps try using a GCC and see if you get the same effect? But I haven't heard many complaints like that, so I'm guessing it's the CCPro.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
The JP website is maintained by PMBR-J, so we'd have to ask them about that. It isn't important enough for me to have someone translate the question though, so my apologies.

3DS FC
5429-7210-5657
Saw ZSS last night, she looks fun and I like a lot of the changes. I think she'll fall victim to the same kinds of problems most tether-grabbers have had in past smash games (hold shield and things get a lot harder for them), and it seems like she has a lot of trouble dealing with pressure. My opinion as of this very second (which doesn't mean a whole lot) is that she'll be sparsely used in competitive play due to those problems but she seems really fun.

I really have to give large amounts of kudo to the guys doing animations for PM. They are ridiculously good. Even more impressive that they have to be placed into a game with an established tone and aesthetic universe. Really nice. ZSS' new dair looks incredibly natural.

This is a pretty dramatic statement but if I had one wish for the future of Smash it would be the elimination of tether grabs. They can't be as fast as normal grabs because of their obvious inherent advantages, but their slow start-up makes it very easy to predict and react to them and makes shielding way stronger against characters that have them. They're a cool mechanic thematically, but they IMO cause more problems than they're worth. Hookshot, ZSS' grab, and so on, I'd rather have on specials as command grabs, if at all.

3DS FC
5429-7210-5657
That's quite the first impression you've got there for seeing her being used in a bunch of friendlies for an hour :p
Well, I did say it doesn't mean a whole lot.

But in my defense:

1. I've been playing ZSS in brawl since release and know a fair bit about her strengths and weaknesses in competitive play there. Melee is a bit of a different game, but:

2. Tether grabbers have always since day one had the kinds of weaknesses I'm talking about. The best tether character in smash history is probably Brawl Toon Link, who struggles a lot in very high-level play.

3. Shield pressure is safer and stronger in melee, but you still have to be able to scare them into dropping their shield or outplay them to beat shielding, or you just don't deal damage.

Again, this is all very hand-wavey. I type a lot and explain a lot, so it looks like I'm making a declaration but I assure you that isn't the case.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
If ZSS has the current Link "syndrome" when it comes to ridiculous tether grabbing (especially in the air), then she will be fine.

Burnsy

Smash Lord
I don't think tether grabs are always a bad thing. I think they just have different utility and you need to play to those strengths.

For example, Lucas' tether grab can be quite awkward to use in the same way as you would a normal grab, but if he can get a hit-confirmed PK freeze from far away, his tether allows him to combo into his grab. His throws can then set up for big combos, or a kill off an u-throw.

JCaesar

Smash Hero
NNID
JCaesar
With dash canceled blaster, ZSS has no trouble landing grabs. Maybe she won't be shield grabbing anyone (which certainly contributes to her not being great vs pressure), but she seems pretty damn good at pressuring herself.

Giygacoal

Smash Lord
@bubbaking

The Pokémon animé, manga, and games are separate canons. Seriously though, devolution spray? That's not in any other source afaik, and the games have priority in the matter. (Then again, the franchise's individual canons are a bit screwy to begin with, like how the earlier episodes of the show have "real life" animals and meat as food.) Not a big deal though.

bubbaking

Smash Hero
Baldwin, NY, USA or Alexandria, VA, USA (Pick one)
Word.

[COLLAPSE="ZSS is gonna have trouble dealing with shields and pressure."]Saw ZSS last night, she looks fun and I like a lot of the changes. I think she'll fall victim to the same kinds of problems most tether-grabbers have had in past smash games (hold shield and things get a lot harder for them), and it seems like she has a lot of trouble dealing with pressure. My opinion as of this very second (which doesn't mean a whole lot) is that she'll be sparsely used in competitive play due to those problems but she seems really fun.

I really have to give large amounts of kudo to the guys doing animations for PM. They are ridiculously good. Even more impressive that they have to be placed into a game with an established tone and aesthetic universe. Really nice. ZSS' new dair looks incredibly natural.

This is a pretty dramatic statement but if I had one wish for the future of Smash it would be the elimination of tether grabs. They can't be as fast as normal grabs because of their obvious inherent advantages, but their slow start-up makes it very easy to predict and react to them and makes shielding way stronger against characters that have them. They're a cool mechanic thematically, but they IMO cause more problems than they're worth. Hookshot, ZSS' grab, and so on, I'd rather have on specials as command grabs, if at all.[/COLLAPSE]
Interesting that you should mention this. On the IRC chat, MasterWGS expressed his thoughts that ZSS probably won't be that good of a character (not High Tier anyway) and Eli agreed completely. Then again, she isn't a spacee, sooooo..... :smash:

That's quite the first impression you've got there for seeing her being used in a bunch of friendlies for an hour :p
I highly doubt it's an impression he got from just watching friendlies as much as it is his thoughts on a fairly defined topic. It's kind of true; tether grabbers like Samus and Link do have a little bit of trouble applying pressure to shields. Unless they set up inescapable shield strings (MC/bomb/rang > grab), or they read exactly when an opponent is going to shield, they're stuck trying to force and punish OoS reactions rather than deal with the shield outright. I wouldn't go so far as to say that tether grabs should be removed completely (I like Samus' :awesome:), but I can definitely see where SFP is coming from.

If ZSS has the current Link "syndrome" when it comes to ridiculous tether grabbing (especially in the air), then she will be fine.
Uh, what do you mean by "tether grabbing in the air"? :confused: If you're talking about zairs, then I don't believe that she has one (which is extremely unusual for a tether grabber). :ohwell:

For example, Lucas' tether grab can be quite awkward to use in the same way as you would a normal grab, but if he can get a hit-confirmed PK freeze from far away, his tether allows him to combo into his grab. His throws can then set up for big combos, or a kill off an u-throw.
Yes, but this doesn't solve his problem of dealing with shields; it simply allows him to either hit-confirm into a grab if they aren't shielding or set up one of those inescapable shield strings that I mentioned earlier, although I'm not sure how easily Lucas could do this (PKF is fast but it isn't lagless). IMO, Lucas' problems against shields are prevented by the relative safety of his moves, his PK Shine, and his ability to just spam PKF until you drop your shield and approach. Again, I'm not agreeing or disagreeing with the elimination of tether grabs. I can just see why someone would see them as detrimental.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
What I mean is that Link grabs people's bodies/limbs in the air wayyyy too good with his grab lol. Grabbing people who are airborne, with tethers, usually sucks but in that case it's off.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom