• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Project M Social Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

JediKnightTemplar

Smash Lord
Source. (Emphasis added)

We're done here.
A sort of third option to the debate is that Sheik originally may have been meant as a male character, but has been recast as a female in recent years to better appease to the market. As the debate proves, the idea of gender as an inherent and vital component of an individual's being is deeply ingrained in the (Western) mindset. Nintendo has over time made Ocarina of Time less controversial, such as by recoloring Ganon's blood from red to green, removing real-life religious symbols, and for what its worth, writing the ReDead trophy description in Super Smash Bros. Melee to destruct the implication that the ones in the Hyrule Castle Town ruins were some of the previous inhabitants. It may be that Sheik as a secret male alter ego to a well-known female character originated as a creative story element, but that such a character would be difficult to market as a multiple times genderswapping combatant in the Super Smash Bros. series. Also, Nintendo does not have a large cast of noncontroversial, famous female characters, which makes a female Sheik more interesting from a marketing perspective.
If Sheik is female, this is why. Personally I think of Sheik as a male, just as I think of the Redeads in Castle Town as former residents. It's basically just up to interpretation and which media you use to judge (e.g., Smash Bros, 3DS OoT, N64 OoT).

NeoZ

Smash Ace
If Sheik is female, this is why. Personally I think of Sheik as a male, just as I think of the Redeads in Castle Town as former residents. It's basically just up to interpretation and which media you use to judge (e.g., Smash Bros, 3DS OoT, N64 OoT).
Sheik is Zelda in disguise, I don't think there's much to discuss with that in mind, but what you said in the end made me curious: What source are you using to say Sheik's male?

Eternal Yoshi

I've covered ban wars, you know
NNID
EternalYoshi
3DS FC
3394-4459-7089
All I do with Toon Link is throw bombs and boomerangs and sometimes use bair afterward and I win.

I feel like there should be more than this to this character.
Sooner or later, your opponent(s) will catch up to you and eventually force you to use your other moves more.

There's more to TL than boomerarrows and bair, like his Usmash, UpB, and so on.

3DS FC
5301-0744-1149
Zelda could very well use her magic to turn into a male ninja....err....Sheik....

BAM!

That just happend.

Meanwhile.... Back at the legion of Project:M

:phone:

D

Deleted member

zelda disguised herself as sheik, part of the disguise and hiding her identity involved looking more like a guy. the game's been out for 14 years and most people have beaten the game. the secret is out, she's a woman in disguise.

it's like watching people talk about mulan like a man. it's just ****ing weird.

Master WGS

Smash Lord
Anybody got any cool PM friendly blue Luigi costumes? He's the last guy on my roster to not have a full set of custom costumes I like. Currently running Shadow Luigi, but since Mario already has a Shadow Mario for his blue costume (and since there actually IS a Shadow Mario in games like Sunshine/3D), I'd like some variety.

Not to pull everyone further of track or anything. Just wondering.

hotdogturtle

Smash Master
Metal remixes of video game songs are 99.99999999999999% of the time not good.

*gets banned from P:M by JCaesar*

Gimpyfish62

Banned (62 points)
BRoomer
honestly i'd prefer "rage quitting" not be possible to be fast to make you all stop doing that stupid garbage

i hate everyoen that does that

every tiem i play soembody that does that

i tell them about how i dont like it

and i tell them that every time that it happens we're going to have this conversation again

and wait 30 seconds to start the next match

people stop pretty quick

Gimpyfish62

Banned (62 points)
BRoomer
I work hard for my bowser victory screens

and you rob them

for about half a second faster (which i make a LOT slower) to get to the next match

i hate it

i hate it so much

SO MUCH.

Ecks

Smash Lord
lol I hate unjustified quits so much. I'll have to start using Gimpy's solution.

Anyway, so, Ness' "grounded (see: uair juggles)" djc nair is so incredibly fast! It kinda looks like he's wavedashing in place and magically hitting the opponent while flashing white. I love Ness M so much lol

Oh, and this is my preferred theme for DC.

Iamthemovie

Smash Journeyman
Literally got 15 seconds in and had to ask: What was that very first string that ended with you side-Bing the Marth for the win? I had no idea Lucario could cancel moves just on someone's shield. @_@
Dude, nice music. Glad to know someone else listening to electroswing.

Fly_Amanita

Master of Caribou
Most people in Socal habitually LRA+Start. I don't remember entirely why it became so widespread, but it is, and nobody cares at all about it. Zhu actually views it as a sign of respect since you acknowledge your loss before the game does. It's interesting to see how people's views on it vary.

iLink

Smash Champion
I actually really hate when people LRA+start. Just feels disrespectful to not let your work follow through to its result.

It's like carving a sculpture or doing a painting and having it torn down before you can see it finished.

Or something like that

PGH Carroll

Smash Master
i dont like the term "Rage quit"

i see nothing wrong with ending the game when you KNOW the games over.

it just a normal thing thats in the game.

they arent "robbing" you of anything. it really is a sign of GGs

they acknowledged that you with out a doubt won. straight up.

its so minor that its not worth getting upset about.

if i get fox upsmashed and im in my star ko animation. do you think me quitting out is really that disrespectful? id argue that it is more respectful for the reasons fly and zhu were saying.

NickRiddle

#negativeNick
I've been quitting out of matches a lot in P:M. Trying to find characters/stages I like... but that's not quite the same thing.

PGH Carroll

Smash Master
its a habit that alot of people have.

the only thing i ssee wrong is when the player that knows or thinks they know that they won the game so theyll end it for you.

but other than that. quitting out is fine. im surprised people get offended at all.

kaizo13

Smash Champion
the pmbr should give every character a seppuku animation for when people try to rage quit :awesome:

BRLNK88

Smash Ace
The embarrassing thing is when you try to reset but don't push one of the triggers down properly and just end up unpausing the game.
You wanna know what annoys me, people who just press start at the character select and then random w/o even giving you a chance to think about a character change, and then they get upset when you want to go back to the menu....
>_>

Wolfy!

Indecisive
BRLNK88: Sometimes I do that twice in a row and I'm like, "See, my tech skill is so bad that I missed the quit."

Sethlon

Smash Champion
BRoomer
Wow, Harmony of Dissonance's arrangement is really clean, dunno how I missed that when I played through it. Mp3 yoinked

Most people in Socal habitually LRA+Start. I don't remember entirely why it became so widespread, but it is, and nobody cares at all about it. Zhu actually views it as a sign of respect since you acknowledge your loss before the game does...
I agree, its just like Starcraft's "GG"ing at the loss.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom