• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Project M Social Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gust14

Smash Apprentice
Wow. That TAS was awesome XkaruX, keep them coming

Also impresive work with the logo, +1 for using it on the patches!

TeiunBomb

Smash Apprentice
Hey guys. Loving the demo thus far.

I have an issue with Sonic. Sometimes, when I'm close to the border of the stage and try using Spin Shot, Sonic will plummet diagonally to his death. I first noticed it while fighting Pikachu, but it's happened a few times since then with other characters. It's completely random as to when it happens; sometimes it will work fine, and other times Sonic will be all "I'M OUTTA HERE!" and caress that blast line for all he's worth.

GP&B

Ike 'n' Ike
NNID
MetalDude
I bet most of you couldn't notice every move until the slowed down part =P
Haha, I just posted a comment detailing the arsenal used. I still don't get what goes on right before the Super nB. Do you slide off the ledge while charging nB normally and then cancel into the Super?

And again, the tricks with nB's constant hitbox were sheer genius.

FireBall Stars

Smash Ace
Hey guys. Loving the demo thus far.

I have an issue with Sonic. Sometimes, when I'm close to the border of the stage and try using Spin Shot, Sonic will plummet diagonally to his death. I first noticed it while fighting Pikachu, but it's happened a few times since then with other characters. It's completely random as to when it happens; sometimes it will work fine, and other times Sonic will be all "I'M OUTTA HERE!" and caress that blast line for all he's worth.
Spin shot? Would it be his sideB, Spin Hop?

XkaruX

Smash Apprentice
Haha, I just posted a comment detailing the arsenal used. I still don't get what goes on right before the Super nB. Do you slide off the ledge while charging nB normally and then cancel into the Super?

And again, the tricks with nB's constant hitbox were sheer genius.
From my youtube comment:

Fair - Pivot nB/cancel - Grab - Pummel - UThrow - UTilt - USmash - Side B - Uair - Uair - Jab, Jab - UTilt - DTilt - Uair - Fair - aerial nB/cancel - Dair (first hit only) - downB (a+b) - UTilt - nB>shield>wavedash - Upsmash (first weak hit) - aerial Super nB.

=)

GP&B

Ike 'n' Ike
NNID
MetalDude
Oh, so you did do Super vB. And I couldn't even decipher a USmash before the Super nB. That's just crazy.

`dazrin

Smash Champion
Daaamn karu! Keep it up!! :D -And for the record, yeah some stuff I completely didn't notice until I saw the slow-mo haha

ps: Your font-work is amazing! Looks really really good! Well done :p

jalued

Smash Lord
From my youtube comment:

Fair - Pivot nB/cancel - Grab - Pummel - UThrow - UTilt - USmash - Side B - Uair - Uair - Jab, Jab - UTilt - DTilt - Uair - Fair - aerial nB/cancel - Dair (first hit only) - downB (a+b) - UTilt - nB>shield>wavedash - Upsmash (first weak hit) - aerial Super nB.

=)
How do you work out the choreography for that? does the computer always start with the same move?

CORY

wut
BRoomer
well, this is annoying. i finally get time to try and mess around with p:m before work so i go and put the card in my computer's reader, move files in and... "this card is locked. please remove write protection, blahblahblah". double check, it's not locked; great, my computer's card reader is a pos and i can't use it to write files.

ok, so, go grab my girlfriend's camera, pull out her sd card, put mine in, drag files into the card... nope, can'tletyoudothat.wav. man, ****ing ****, now i have to go buy a card reader on my way home from overtime tomorrow. stupid things that could read cards not actually doing their job...

Vigilante

Smash Lord
Lol XKaruX, that was pretty amazing. I also mentioned you in the comments section of IGN. Thanks for your Yoshi's Story. It looks great.

N.A.G.A.C.E

Smash Champion
well, this is annoying. i finally get time to try and mess around with p:m before work so i go and put the card in my computer's reader, move files in and... "this card is locked. please remove write protection, blahblahblah". double check, it's not locked; great, my computer's card reader is a pos and i can't use it to write files.

ok, so, go grab my girlfriend's camera, pull out her sd card, put mine in, drag files into the card... nope, can'tletyoudothat.wav. man, ****ing ****, now i have to go buy a card reader on my way home from overtime tomorrow. stupid things that could read cards not actually doing their job...
I am having the same issue, r u saying the problem is the reader and not the card? I figured the card must be messed up since it shows up on my comp but just says its locked

:phone:

CORY

wut
BRoomer
I am having the same issue, r u saying the problem is the reader and not the card? I figured the card must be messed up since it shows up on my comp but just says its locked

the card is definitely not locked and i tested it with other cards that i knew worked (like the one my gf had in her camera). i saw a few things online about how to auto open your card reader, but it involved soldering, which i don't have tools (or experience) for...

MaxThunder

PM Support
Hey, I got another little present for you guys.

http://youtu.be/-YINhiB9tuc

---

Also, congrats on getting the attention of ign and more people. It really is a very well done mod, however, I think it's time to re-design the logo so it's more professional looking (no offense to the guy who made it).

Here's something I made looking at the original logo since most people say this is what brawl should have been (Just as an example):

--

Anyway, enjoy the vid and don't forget to rate it =P!
First, awezome vid=)... so damn good... looking forward to see more=)...

though i gotta disagree about the logo... I think the current logo looks professional enough, though i'd like to see the M moved a bit more down...

the background line thing doesn't really go well toghether with the text in your logo... but the font looks really good=)...

Virum

Smash Ace
NNID
SiLeNtDo0m
3DS FC
3368-3441-2801
Yeah, that. I've seen it referred to as the former once or twice, though, hence why I typed it as such.
Spinshot is something completely different to the little hop the side B has. Spinshot is this massive leap you can do with the Down B if you time jump the moment you release it. In vBrawl it was mapped to Side B and executed in a similar fashion.

`dazrin

Smash Champion
Yo JC, I have all the music up and running and it's all amazing as usual, thanks a bunch! :D

Just a question, why wasn't "Prodigy - Stand Up" included in your big pile of music? And how can I get it for the CSS and stuff?? :p
-Just doesn't feel COMPLETE without that song lol

Sir Combee

Smash Apprentice
This is just a minor aesthetic question, but in the patch (or at some point in general) can you guys change Charizard, Zelda, and Sheiks CSP to be C18 as opposed to CMPR? The quality of those portraits is lacking compared to all the others (especially the Zelda and Sheik ones).

*shrugs* maybe no one cares about it that much, but as an HD snob it bothers me haha. Anyways, i'll get back to enjoying the demo now.

JCaesar

Smash Hero
NNID
JCaesar
Yo JC, I have all the music up and running and it's all amazing as usual, thanks a bunch! :D

Just a question, why wasn't "Prodigy - Stand Up" included in your big pile of music? And how can I get it for the CSS and stuff?? :p
-Just doesn't feel COMPLETE without that song lol
It's there. There are 4 menu songs in My Music. Turn the other 3 off and Stand Up will always play on the CSS.

Ecks

Smash Lord
I'm with Sir Combee. The CMPR format absolutely murders those characters. I don't think there's too much to lose by changing them. The has a decent amount of space left anyway since all the other files have been changed to CMPR.

What I like about that Lucario video is that it seems more doable than your average TAS video. It's still insane though. lol

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
CMPR was used for filesize reduction on Shelda, and Zard already uses CI8.

Couch

Smash Cadet
Bit late here, but just posting to say epic congrats on the IGN article, thats some massive exposure ! Also, I'm loving the hell out of this demo, been playing wolf for a while and he feels really sick

`dazrin

Smash Champion
It's there. There are 4 menu songs in My Music. Turn the other 3 off and Stand Up will always play on the CSS.

whaaat? I only have 3! Menu1, Menu2, and Brawl themesong.... Which one is missing and how do I unlock it? D:

edit: fuuck. it's the melee menu theme, and its only unlockable via random CD drop.. FFUUUUBARWL!!! =_=

Ecks

Smash Lord
Daze, you can use this brawl vault hack to get all the random CDs, trophies and stickers. Just taunt away, and the stuff will appear like magic.

*Make sure you don't replace the file in your pm folder! Rename it to something else while you use this or you may accidentally delete the character forever (you'd have to download the whole codeset again)!

also inb4notworkingwithhacklessmethodlol

N.A.G.A.C.E

Smash Champion
the card is definitely not locked and i tested it with other cards that i knew worked (like the one my gf had in her camera). i saw a few things online about how to auto open your card reader, but it involved soldering, which i don't have tools (or experience) for...
Ok good to know. My issue is i only have this 1 sd card and my sd card reader is one i borrowed/took from a friend so i had no way to test if the reader was broken or not.

Xebenkeck

Smash Lord
It is but it is now the timiing is different for each character than in Brawl.

Snakes is now really hard

Where Lucas has a super duper easy one now.

Shadic

Alakadoof?
NNID
Shadoof
This is just a minor aesthetic question, but in the patch (or at some point in general) can you guys change Charizard, Zelda, and Sheiks CSP to be C18 as opposed to CMPR? The quality of those portraits is lacking compared to all the others (especially the Zelda and Sheik ones).

*shrugs* maybe no one cares about it that much, but as an HD snob it bothers me haha. Anyways, i'll get back to enjoying the demo now.
Yeah, sure. If you'd like to make some super-attractive ones, feel free. :)

Eaode

Smash Champion
So I just posted this essay on the IGN article, tackling what seemed to be the biggest issues with the discussion (how's this is different from melee/brawl/brawl+ etc)

I hope you guys don't mind me basically speaking on your behalf (although I feel like I did you justice :D) but I feel like one of the major hurdles P:M is going to face to be able to become a widespread and accepted competitive game, is how the general gaming public perceives it, and how it is explained, especially to those without a competitive smash background.

[COLLAPSE="Eaode"]Since It's one of the key issues needing explaining, and I'm feeling nice, I'll run through the smash games, what they offer, and how P:M is different/similar to them. Note that I'm not a member the PMBR, just a player who likes to clear things up (and has a bit of a way with words if I may say so myself). Let's begin:

Super Smash Bros. for the n64 started it all, even the competitive community. Though small, we grew during melee to what we are now. However, if you go back and play smash64 now, competitively, you'll notice it's very broken in certain aspects. The P:M team wanted to create a game with an offense/defense balance more like melee than brawl, but if you look at 64, the offense favored gameplay is off the charts. Defensive options like spotdodging and wallteching don't exist, the hitstun is incredibly long, meaning many character have 0%-death combos, and shieldstun is also incredibly long, so all characters have guaranteed shield-break combos.

When melee came out, we all went crazy. over these 11 years, the community grew at an alarming rate, the metagame developed constantly (and still does today). The truth was, melee was an extremely deep, competitive game, with so many technical nuances, character diversity, and exploits that players could explore to expand their gameplay. The advanced techniques were vast and wide-ranging, from things as simple as dash-dancing and short-hopping, to SHFFLing (short hop fast fall l-canceled aerials) and Wavedashing, to difficult maneuvers like the Short hop double laser with fox, and Ledgeteching (where you tech the ledge when hit by a move that would normally send you away, letting you survive a move like Marth's forward-smash).

Project:M takes a lot of inspiration from melee because melee had so much to draw from. Melee was a fast-paced, technical, competitively rewarding, offensive fighting game.

Now, when Brawl came out most, if not all, of us were excited. Even hardcore competitive melee players waited anxiously. I myself played brawl competitively for a month and a half (my main was ROB <3) before going back to melee. The truth was, Brawl was (as a competitive game) a HUGE disappointment. The movement was really slow, the physics were really floaty, there was no hitstun (which meant VERY limited combos), and overall many offensive gameplay elements were removed, while defensive gameplay was vastly improved. With really buff defensive elements combined with both the overall slowing down of the game, and the flat out removal of many advanced techniques, competitive brawl play slowly devolved into a slower, less technical, rock-paper-scissors-esque strategy fighting game, focused more on camping and finding an opportunity to get one hit in, than actual pressure or straight up fighting.

There were a few mods that tried to tackle the issues present in Brawl.
There's Balanced Brawl, which doesn't modify the Brawl physics or anything, it just creates better character balance.
There was Brawl+, a mod that aimed to make brawl a faster, better competitive game, but still preserving the overall feel of Brawl. In many ways, it set people up for the idea that Project:M eventually set out to fulfill. But there are MANY key differences that makes P:M completely different from Brawl+

1.) The scope of the project. Brawl+ aimed to speed up gameplay and buff offense a bit. While P:M does this, it also does so much more. P:M also reintroduces techniques that were flat out absent from brawl (Wavedashing, L-canceling, and JC grabs are only a few examples), and rebalances characters on a whole new level than B+ ever attempted to do.

2.) The inspiration on melee. Brawl+ never aimed to recreate melee. They took the previous smash games as inspiration to bring Brawl in line to what a competitive smash game should be, but they were always plagued with accusations of making "melee 2.0," which was not at all what they were trying to do. They simply wanted to speed up Brawl and make it more competitively viable.
P:M does this by taking so much from melee that made it such a great game. They're not afraid to admit that P:M is melee 2.0. On the other hand, it's not all a melee bias. There are several Brawl-unique advanced techniques that are still present in P:M, such as glide-tossing, DACUS (dash-attack canceled upsmash), RAR (reverse aerial rush), and QAC (quick attack cancel). Ultimately, the P:M faithfully restores melee's techniques and depth, but doesn't cloud their vision on what makes this game better, taking cues from melee, brawl, 64, and even traditional fighting games.

3.) The professional way they handle the release of the game. one of Brawl+'s most rampant developmental flaws lay in how they handled releases. The codesets just developed over time and evolved based around what everyone felt was best. This resulted in constant changing of gameplay (meaning a steady metagame couldn't evolve), and led to numerous, wide-spanning debates about how the codesets should be laid out. Project:M on the other hand, releases demos when they are comprehensive and complete, and the project, for the most part, is not open to public eyes. They can afford to do this because they have many talented, knowledgeable, competitive smash players on their dev team, and the testing they do is comprehensive and meaningful. This also allows these demos to be released "as-is", without frequent updates that would disrupt the evolution of the metagame.

This is not to say, however, that they don't look to the player base for feedback. Being competitive players themselves, they know how widely playstyles, character choices, and matchup knowledge can vary from player to player, from region to region, and so on. They have been more meaningfully responsive to feedback than I have seen ANY PROFESSIONAL GAME DESIGN COMPANY be. Ever. The player feedback is extremely important in telling them how they did, how the balance decisions are working out, and what's what with the metagame. However, it's very important that, like any other game developers, that they serve as a filter for game balance. They have the final say on what, if anything, is changed for the next release, allowing them to take our wide range of opinions, and evaluate intelligently what is and is not a valid concern.

SORRY about the wall of text, but please take the time to read if you are confused as to what P:M's mission is, or why it's different than Melee/Brawl/Brawl+

Eaode, signing out.[/COLLAPSE]

`dazrin

Smash Champion
Daze, you can use this brawl vault hack to get all the random CDs, trophies and stickers. Just taunt away, and the stuff will appear like magic.

*Make sure you don't replace the file in your pm folder! Rename it to something else while you use this or you may accidentally delete the character forever (you'd have to download the whole codeset again)!

also inb4notworkingwithhacklessmethodlol
OH LORD. Wow, you actually have no idea how much effort I spent in the last week actually legitimately unlocking every CD I possibly could. I even left a vs match on for 2 nights in a row to log over 50VSmode hours to unlock the SM64 theme LOL. God.. I'm a ****** lol. When I realized (just recently) that there were a BUNCH more CDs to be unlocked except it was all random, I was even going to resort to the "CD FACTORY" method- until I found that you have to UNLOCK the damn conveyor belts in custom stage builder. I was gonna flip a table. ihatebrawl.

So TLDR: THANKS A TON ECKS. I sure hope it works with hackless lol

hotdogturtle

Smash Master
So renaming a 01 to be 04 would have the early morning fog/lighting and such?
Yes. Although it's very barely noticeable unless you zoom the camera out (like enough that the unrestricted camera hack is required). The fog that covers the stage is a different color in each pac (IIRC there was white, yellow, orange, blue, and one more). But as I said, the differences are so unnoticeable during regular gameplay that nobody actually cares which pac they use as a base for their hacks.

Also, is there any way to get smashville to be frozen as nighttime?
I keep hearing about this, but I don't know how it's done. I know that Mewtwo2000 made Battlefield at night by removing the dynamic lighting, but if Smashville is entirely bound to the Wii's clock then it may be impossible.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom