• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Project M Social Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

drsusredfish

Smash Ace
well i dissagree with the thought that you can only have one main. Look at MvC3 3 fighters to a team you can have a main team but you still have three characters. so by that aspect i think you can have more than one main.

somtimes you main more than one fighter in smash bros because one of your mains would have a difficult matchup.

Machiavelli.CF

Ivy of the West
NNID
Machiavelli.CF
3DS FC
3222-5675-4966
I'd have to choose randomly between my mains in that situation and hope I do well. I'd probably pick someone like Ike over falco in that situation because everyone knows how to fight falco.
I understand completely what you're getting at but the thought experiment isn't quite perfect because It would define your main as "the safest character that you're good with".

At least to me, a main is someone who you're best with. Now, you can be good with Rock and Scissors (already you can't quite say one is better than the other, they're just different) but if you're asked which you're better with and who you'd pick in a blind match, It wouldn't be so simple.

But if you DID have a single character you were significantly better at than the rest you'd have no trouble picking.

Kink-Link5

Smash Hero
True facts, paper is the best in short run RPS, while Rock is the best if there's time to think about your choice. For 3-round-rapid RPS, with time to think about your choices before hand, the best hands are Rock, Rock, Rock; Rock, Paper, Paper; Scissors, Scissors, Rock; and Paper, Rock, Paper.

Samus-T

Smash Lord
So is there still no specific time that demo 2 will be released? And if not, will you let us no prior or just release it randomly on Sunday. I was kinda hoping for a specific time because my friends and I are really looking forward to a project m smashfest. And it's hard to plan when you don't know when it's out :p

:phone:

hotdogturtle

Smash Master
Good old rock, nothing beats that.

I'm expecting the demo to release in the evening/late night, so they can stretch their deadline as long as possible to get some last minute testing in.

PEEF!

Smash Hero
True facts, paper is the best in short run RPS, while Rock is the best if there's time to think about your choice. For 3-round-rapid RPS, with time to think about your choices before hand, the best hands are Rock, Rock, Rock; Rock, Paper, Paper; Scissors, Scissors, Rock; and Paper, Rock, Paper.
This sounds like total bullcrap; prove it.

Vigilante

Smash Lord
Just to clarify what some poeple said earlier. We'r enot going to just release the next characters as DLC, The next release will be an actual demo 3. We'll try to make it faster, but in principle, it won't just be more characters, but also an updated codeset and we'll see about the rest.

ManEg

Smash Journeyman
Demo v2 coming in two days after all this time...my hype has been restored. Congrats to the team and everyone who contributed on the project. You guys have given me another reason to keep the Wii (the other being Xenoblade; shoutouts to that game, been years since I had this much fun with an RPG).

Kink-Link5

Smash Hero
This sounds like total bullcrap; prove it.
Statistically, with no time to think about their choice, there is a tendency to pick rock subconsciously (~37%) and this is especially true for less experienced players. Scissors is the next most likely choice, falling at about the expected 33%, while less than 30% pick paper as their first choice. With this in mind, the two best choices are Rock to either win or stalemate, or Paper for pure chance to win.

With time to think about your choice, Scissors is selected almost 40% of the time, expecting that no one would dare pick Rock knowing how predictable it is, thinking they will in the worst case, stalemate. Rock is by far the best chance of outright winning a thought out 1 round game, while Scissors is the most likely to win or draw.

Rock Rock Rock is good for 3RR because it plays with the other player's expectations.

R vs R: Stalemate
The opponent subconsciously will want to play the hand that beats rock
R vs P: 2P wins
The opponent will expect you to switch over to paper or scissors, and will most likely therefore switch to scissors themselves
R vs S: 1P wins, game is a draw

OR

Opponent expects you to switch to what beat your hand, chooses scissors
R vs S: 1P wins
Opponent expects you to switch on the third hand, and most likely stays with scissors because with the assumption of a switch, they have no reason to switch themselves
R vs S: 1P wins, wins game

OR

Opponent will either switch to what beat them or stay the same
R vs R: Stalemate
Opponent expects switch, and most likely switches to scissors
R vs S: 1P wins, wins game

R vs S: 1P wins, and wins game regardless of next result

And, just for ****s and giggles

2P has either caught on that it will stay the same, or expects a switch, both are about equally likely.
R vs P: 2P wins, wins game

9Kplus1

Smash Master
Project:Rock sounds a lot more fun than Project:M. Rock should be buffed to the point where it has a 75:50 MU against opposing rocks. Dual rock; Rockception.

You guys should work on that, instead.

PEEF!

Smash Hero
Instead of proving your base assertions, you just asserted them again. Who says that Rock is picked this many times? Is it just a random survey of people? Is it study of competitive RPS? Where are you getting this data?

JediKnightTemplar

Smash Lord
I don't feel like critiquing it in depth on mobile at midnight, but some of your logic is flawed. Most of the time the player will switch to what will win the last round or what they believe will win the next, which is of course what you already had. So it's really just a crapshoot, as you can't accurately predict how the opponent will think- this isn't Death Note.

hotdogturtle

Smash Master
Project RPS needs to take some hints from Project M and a) remove the elemental weaknesses from each character (like the Pokemon), and b) rebalance the cast so there are no more "hard counterpicks" and everyone is equally viable.

PEEF!

Smash Hero
Project RPS needs to take some hints from Project M and a) remove the elemental weaknesses from each character (like the Pokemon), and b) rebalance the cast so there are no more "hard counterpicks" and everyone is equally viable.
Yeah, RPS would be a much better competitive game if all the options were equally balanced.

Vigilante

Smash Lord
Demo v2 coming in two days after all this time...my hype has been restored. Congrats to the team and everyone who contributed on the project. You guys have given me another reason to keep the Wii (the other being Xenoblade; shoutouts to that game, been years since I had this much fun with an RPG).

Ecks

Smash Lord
Xenoblade is so good. I played almost 140 hours and plan to play more.

The game is legit.

Edit: I'm actually gonna play Xenosaga now (well, on summer actually). Not that they're related but whatever.

Vigilante

Smash Lord
I find your lack of faith disturbing, 9kplus1.

According to me, the best games of this generation are Valkyria Chronicles and Xenoblade Chronicles.

Vigilante

Smash Lord
I find Disgaea to be a grindfest and I had other games to play that require me to look at the screen. I personally didn't like it much.

GP&B

Ike 'n' Ike
NNID
MetalDude
Well, I just dodged about 2 and a half pages of total bull****.

Minus Xenoblade mentions of course. That game kicks voluptuous ***. Except I'd grab it because *** grabs are awesome.

MaxThunder

PM Support
Instead of proving your base assertions, you just asserted them again. Who says that Rock is picked this many times? Is it just a random survey of people? Is it study of competitive RPS? Where are you getting this data?
from my experience from a yu-gi-oh online game... most people start with rock...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom