• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Project M Social Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

PEEF!

Smash Hero
Lol I guess that is kind of obvious then haha. Is there any way to fix it?
Nope, never thought about trying to fix it.
LOL. I think its the biggest prize left if it was able to be cracked, but chances are it won't be. There are specifics about why not, but what really matters is that it has a shiny red target on it, and every dev would love to be the one to figure it out. Just don't get too hopeful.

I R MarF

Smash Ace
LOL. I think its the biggest prize left if it was able to be cracked, but chances are it won't be. There are specifics about why not, but what really matters is that it has a shiny red target on it, and every dev would love to be the one to figure it out. Just don't get too hopeful.
Hm. I must say though, I am quite curious about the specifics. Does it have something to do with the ingame air dodge mechanics? Is it possible to recreate everyone's airdodge from scratch as a new "move" over to existing airdodge so it can perform how you want to?

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
I wouldn't be surprised if Magus was able to fix it somewhere down the line, but there are several other things we have to do yet mechanics-wise, I R MarF.

Just about everything related to physics actually activates a frame after they're supposed to happen in-game, and you can't have it occur frame 0 to compensate. That's why they move frame 2.

I R MarF

Smash Ace
I wouldn't be surprised if Magus was able to fix it somewhere down the line, but there are several other things we have to do yet mechanics-wise, I R MarF.

Just about everything related to physics actually activates a frame after they're supposed to happen in-game, and you can't have it occur frame 0 to compensate. That's why they move frame 2.
Do recovery moves also occur a frame late? What about jumps, dashes, fast falls, and Knock Back?

I R MarF

Smash Ace
of what you mentioned, only grounded jumps afaik
Uh... thats not good. So does that mean everyone's jumps are technically 1 frame slower to start? Or have you readjusted the jumpstart frame data as a temporary fix?

And if it is possible to make recovery moves create momentum on frame 1, can jumps or at least air dodge be rebuilt from scratch as a workaround? For instance, lets say I'm playing Mario and my up-b creates momentum at frame 1. If the up-b was remapped to be activated by L+Forward while in the air (like an airdodge forward) would it still create momentum at frame 1?

If that is possible, then would it also be possible to build 9 "air dodge" recovery moves for every character (static and 8 directions) that could create momentum on frame 1 and be mapped to their respective inputs to generate the kind of ADs you want? Or this all gibberish?

Kink-Link5

Smash Hero
I'm pretty sure most if not all recovery moves are animation based and not based on momentum at all.

And even if that were possible, that would be a horrible fix since air dodges aren't done in only 8 directions.

I R MarF

Smash Ace
I'm pretty sure most if not all recovery moves are animation based and not based on momentum at all.
Then how would something like Fox up-bing into the ground generate a wavedash and can't certain moves boost mobility slightly? Does Marth/Mario's side-b actually jolt them forward a little bit or does it just slow their falls?

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Uh... thats not good. So does that mean everyone's jumps are technically 1 frame slower to start? Or have you readjusted the jumpstart frame data as a temporary fix?

And if it is possible to make recovery moves create momentum on frame 1, can jumps or at least air dodge be rebuilt from scratch as a workaround? For instance, lets say I'm playing Mario and my up-b creates momentum at frame 1. If the up-b was remapped to be activated by L+Forward while in the air (like an airdodge forward) would it still create momentum at frame 1?

If that is possible, then would it also be possible to build 9 "air dodge" recovery moves for every character (static and 8 directions) that could create momentum on frame 1 and be mapped to their respective inputs to generate the kind of ADs you want? Or this all gibberish?
none of this works

and no jumps are fine; it's the velocity of them that changes. frame 1 of airborne you are basically grounded but in the air, while in melee you start accelerating upward frame 1.

NNID
dansalvato
none of this works

and no jumps are fine; it's the velocity of them that changes. frame 1 of airborne you are basically grounded but in the air, while in melee you start accelerating upward frame 1.
Could you rectify that behavior by simply skipping over frame 1 of the jump animation? Aesthetically, it would be unnoticeable.

GP&B

Ike 'n' Ike
NNID
MetalDude
I don't think it's the animation. It's directly within the physics that call for velocity changes 1 frame after in midair state is what it sounds like.

NNID
dansalvato
Please put in your Melee disk, Up-b into the ground with Fox or Falco and see what I mean. They bounce up and then land; sliding their WD distance
That velocity is likely set after hitting the ground. The upB itself is not velocity-based. A very simple test for this is to grab a super/poison mushroom. If the upB carries you the same distance as normal size, it's not velocity-based (making it seem like it takes you a very short distance when large or a very long distance when small). If the distance it takes you scales with your character size, then it is velocity-based.

I R MarF

Smash Ace
Don't worry, we've had a temporary fix for jumps for awhile. This isn't something that was recently found out.
Lol it seems like this is the first time the community has heard of it. But who knows.

Btw, how is Melee camera looking? I heard it was mentioned on SMYN that there was a recent breakthrough?

Shadic

Alakadoof?
NNID
Shadoof
Jumps are not 1 frame off, it is one frame easier to SH, though.

Airdodge and thus WDing is one frame off.
Basically, the physics are run one frame later for things like that vs. Melee. It requires a restructuring of the game's code structure.

NNID
dansalvato
Jumps are not 1 frame off, it is one frame easier to SH, though.

Airdodge and thus WDing is one frame off. Basically, the physics are run one frame later for things like that vs. Melee. It requires a restructuring of the game's code structure.
What happens if you try to airdodge during that one frame? Does it simply not register until the following frame, or does nothing happen, or what?

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
The air dodge registers; the air dodge simply doesn't MOVE until frame 2 when it should move frame 1.

drsusredfish

Smash Ace
since airdodge momentumm is 1 frame off could you like make the momentum on the 2nd fram larger than ussual ,like double the momentum, for that frame alone so its like its compensating for the no movement on frame one? then frame 3 the mometum is the normal momentum?

drsusredfish

Smash Ace
Do any of you guys watch Smash King by tigura on youtube?

episode 14 is out :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WTr4mEPYNVs&feature=g-u-u&context=G28dfc66FUAAAAAAACAA

I recomind watching the whole series. Go to his channel to see from the begining

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL742394B392192F61&feature=plcp

hit play all sit back relax and be amazed by this legitamate smash bros show.

try to find all the hidden jigglypuffs in each episode.
dont be offput by the initial brawl fighting in the first few episodes it gets real "animeish" or "brawl minusy" the more episodes you watch

abcool

Smash Ace
I have a question. If Samus is ready and Zss isn't does that mean you won't put Samus in because someone may try and use via transformation?

Samus-T

Smash Lord
Can anyone tell me how to put different background music in project m? I wasnt sure where to ask and i cant seem to figure it out

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom