• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Project M Social Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

♡ⓛⓞⓥⓔ♡

Anti-Illuminati
Ultimately it's either try something different at the expense of losing some players or have half the cast lose to Sheik because of a chain grab (that was still very much a problem even with the KBG adjustment we had for over a year, I think we've been catering to the NTSC-U Dthrow crowd long enough).
I think it's also that people are not used to the fast animation, I no I am not and I already complained about my distaste. But it's only expected, after having seen one animation about millions of times and then it being changed in a similar context is too much, lol. This is probably the main issue Melee veterans will have with project M, but you get used to it fast.
I think the change serves Sheik well, even though just PAL throw is still pretty good.

Vigilante

Smash Lord
Adding to typos, In Charizard's "flying type" section it says " Charizard now several tools at his disposal..." It's missing a has.

@Unholy Yeah, Vigilante created the move. Dunno if he animated it though.
The idea put use a knife was Jiang's. The original attack was a stab but it turned out it didn't look very forceful and resembled more of a Thonberry stab à la Final Fantasy.

So he needed to find a better animation and thus thought of a multistep move like Link. So he asked me if I could model for him since he wanted an animation that is humanly possible. It would then help him make an animation that isn't all janky.

He told me to get creative so I used Metal Gear Solid 3's knife combo and studied it extensively,

Then I tried to replicate it with a plastic knife but realized the weight factors in how you wield a knife, so I took a metal one and practiced for two full days.

I came up with a rough video and sent it to him, but my movements were "too similar" to the MGS3 attack and thus felt too constrained. it was supposed to be a smash attack and due to the fact that the camera is distant, moves need to be exagerated to be noticeable.

I posed in a Snake's idle pose, then did the attack and came returned to Snake's idle pose. This was to help Jiang see how the move could logically transition from one position to the next and smoothly return to Snake to his normal stance. Of course, being in profile pose was part of the thing.

So I made a few shots, different poses and posted them to Jiang. That's pretty much how far the PMBR is willing to go to get things done just right. Jiang did an amazing job on the animation.

I hope that answers your question unholydeath.

P.S.: I was involved in helping coding it in PSA and testing it as well in game.

I R MarF

Smash Ace
I'm not sure I understand the changes to Sheik, but nonetheless, I like the changes made to G&W, who should now be aptly nicknamed "Danger Watch". I also really want to see Snake's drag and crawling dtilt in action

RaphaelRobo

Smash Champion
Wait, California and Maryland both have 5 people?

NC, we can't let them beat us. We need to get 5 more people into the BR.

MaxThunder

PM Support
looool whoever typed up that spread sheet needs to go back and edit that ****. Colorado is mispelled as "Colorada"
Nah the place has just become a soft drink or something...

Not like anybody knows where "wyoming+" is anyway
It's the new tournament legal wyoming, obviously...

typo in sonics write up "Blur Blur" suposed to be "blue blur"
He's just that fast=)...

btw... i've figured out we have a multiquote system... go me=)...

RaphaelRobo

Smash Champion
Never. They had them on so they could spend the whole time talking about Project X Zone. It's a much cooler project.

RaphaelRobo

Smash Champion
Forget the ACT. It's your life, or playing P:M. It should be obvious which is more important.

metroid1117

Smash Master
You guys are in high school? That's news to me. Good luck, I hope the Science section doesn't kill you the way it kills me (it was 7 points lower than my next lowest score).
IMO the science section is weird, it tests your analytical skills rather than your actual science background (although background definitely can help in a question). I'm a math/science person, so reading was (and still is) my worst subject.

Monk and Toast, good luck with the ACT!

Regarding PM: I'm sad to hear that Demo 2 will be released relatively late (it'll be Monday morning for me when it comes out), but we've already waited for more than a year, so a couple of hours won't hurt. Take your time, PMBR :).

TeiunBomb

Smash Apprentice
So, about that Project: M discussion...

I like the changes made to G&W, who should now be aptly nicknamed "Danger Watch".
And here I thought I was the only one that remembered that nickname for GaW. :b:

A couple of thoughts:

I think that it would be awesome if Hyrule Castle, and both versions of Temple (Melee and :M) were in the second demo. Instead of placing Temple: M over the original one, it could be placed over something like Flat Zone 2, or another stage that relatively few people play on. (I suggested FZ2 because then three custom songs could be placed over it instead of two, but that's just personal preference speaking.)

I admittedly don't know much about Squirtle, but judging from what I've seen in streams, it looks like one of his key traits is mixing his opponent up with his shellshifting gimmick. I think that it would be nice if he had a Down-B that complimented this, and that's where Aqua Jet comes into play. In my mind, Squirtle performs an animation similar to his Up-Smash, and is propelled up and forward into the air by a single column of water that quickly dissipates. The height would be around the height of his short hop, if not a bit more than that, and can be performed out of Withdraw. From there, Squirtle would be able to act nigh-instantly out of the move, being able to perform any aerial, or play mind games by performing another Withdraw.

There are loads of additional ideas that I've come up with as well, but the primary functions of the move are meant to confuse the opponent. However, for the sake of completion, I'll list my optional ideas below:

Option #1: Squirtle moves faster and father if he's using Withdraw, as opposed to doing the move otherwise.

Option #2: Squirtle can adjust how far he flies through the air, kinda like DIing your own move. I think this would further compliment the mix-up nature of the move, as it would keep the opponent guessing as to where Squirtle is going to position himself, and act accordingly or be punished.

Option #3: Taking a page from R.O.B.'s Robo-Booster, any aerial that Squirtle performs out of Aqua Jet deals additional damage and/or knockback; this fits into the move canonically being an insanely quick physical-type move. Just how much would be entirely up to the whims of the PMBR (as with everything else listed here, of course), but the way I've envisioned it, just how strong the corresponding move is would be set up in tiers based on timing. If the player performs the move after a certain point of time (Tier 3), then they wouldn't get the damage/knockback bonus; if they manage to enter their command after a brief window of time has passed (Tier 2), then their move would have a slight boost of power; if they manage to enter the command before the first window of time has passed (Tier 1), then their attack would be significantly more powerful, but this would require extensive time in the lab in order to accomplish this on a regular basis.

Option #4: Hitting with the move dead center on start up would send the opponent flying, much like Jigglypuff's Rest. However, unlike Rest, this move wouldn't anywhere near its obscene power, but would be able to K.O. at a very respectable percent... off the top of my head, I would say around 90~95% would kill most characters with no DI on Final Destination.

Option #5: This would need the second optional attribute in play in order to be feasible, but the attack itself would have fixed knockback on the ground. This would make it possible for Squirtle to hit with it, be led to roughly the same place as his opponent, and start juggling them. Naturally, having this attribute for an aerial version would lead to some absurd combos, so that's right out.

That's everything that's I've thought up within the last few days. I hope that you find my ideas useful, but if not, I have faith that you guys will think of something excellent for him.

RaphaelRobo

Smash Champion
Regarding PM: I'm sad to hear that Demo 2 will be released relatively late (it'll be Monday morning for me when it comes out), but we've already waited for more than a year, so a couple of hours won't hurt. Take your time, PMBR :).
Where did they state the time?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom