• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Project M Social Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

JediKnightTemplar

Smash Lord
just so you guys know, the PMBR is going to force that melee battlefield skin on you... it will come in the official PM set whenever it's released because BR members are getting paranoid that melee players wont play PM if every vestige of brawl is removed. if you guys don't agree with that, please speak up. i personally think all cosmetic changes should be optional, especially ones like this. oh and you can't even simply delete the stage from your SD card because there are special camera, boundary, etc changes.

the argument is that somehow having melee battlefield instead of brawl battlefield will make players magically less likely to play the game. and apparently having both was completely out of the question, so goodbye brawl battlefield.

i personally liked the brawl battlefield better because of it's soothing color palette; it wasn't like every other stage-- an eye straining discoworld. melee battlefield looks like something that was made in a create-a-stage maker.
The first part of that post reminds me of the chain statuses you see on Facebook from time to time. That being said though, I like Melee Battlefield better. Even when I was an uber casual I hated the way Brawl Battlefield looked.

Xedi

Smash Cadet
Can we make some of these stage changes optional please?

I don't want to be playing 24/7 in a competitive mindset; for instance I would like being able to play on the Twilight Princess stage every once in a while. The best would be, if possible, to relegate the "non tournament viable" stages on a third screen of stage selection or something like that.

Oldeeber

Smash Cadet
if you guys could but almost all the melee stages in with all the brawl stages on release, that would be great for every1. it might be a lil extra work but uve already come this far, why not?

hotdogturtle

Smash Master
Can someone post a picture of the Battlefield skin that's supposedly being mandatory/optional in the release?

Regardless of which form of BF they end up with, I (and surely many other people) will be modifying the stages with other textures/backgrounds so they will be P:M-safe. You won't have to worry about the aesthetics in your game no matter what the PMBR decides to make official.

`dazrin

Smash Champion
wow. uh, i hate melee battlefield with a passion.

in my opinion, brawl battlefield is better BY FAR: aesthetics, ledges, music, and everything else

that would really suck if brawl battlefield didn't make it in, but i can see where they are coming from, being paranoid that melee players wont switch over as a result of brawl battlefield being there.

with that said, i can definitely live without brawl battle field, even though it's my favorite stage in p:m/ brawl

edit:
Aw no more vBrawl MK tornado when I play Kirby.
I hate you

Ecks

Smash Lord
BF and FD are the only stages that have all music replaced in my game (and Temple M but that's just 2 songs). I have all of NemesisTheory's Rose series on BF and they fit perfectly. No way am I ever changing it. :p

And this is coming from a guy that loves Melee BF. Worse case scenario I'll replace something else with Brawl Battlefield.

hotdogturtle

Smash Master
Where did this love of Melee BF ledges come from? I thought that they decided to stick with Brawl BF originally because the ledges were better than Melee's. And I know that dislike of the ledges isn't an upopular opinion in the Melee community, so I can't imagine that some people wouldn't be glad to make the switch. Do you really think that people would refuse to play P:M because there was no Melee BF? And what about the people (both Brawl and Melee players) who prefer the Brawl ledges?

Jiangjunizzy

Smash Lord
Can we make some of these stage changes optional please?

I don't want to be playing 24/7 in a competitive mindset; for instance I would like being able to play on the Twilight Princess stage every once in a while. The best would be, if possible, to relegate the "non tournament viable" stages on a third screen of stage selection or something like that.
i tried to ask the people who wanted to replace brawl BF with melee BF why we couldn't just have both. apparently doing so would be "****ing stupid".

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
Melee BF is literally the ugliest stage ever. I feel nauseous even playing on it.

I would absolutely hate having to play on that ugliness by force.

Then again, someone will probably have a file for Brawl BF over Melee BF within 8 hours of release that everyone and their mother would switch to instead. Hell, I can even make and distribute it if nobody would be up to it lol.

shanus

Smash Hero
a discussion started yesterday without many members buy in was posted by jiang. awesome jump to conclusions batman.

nothing has been decided, nothing to see here

hotdogturtle

Smash Master
Can someone please clarify whether we're talking about the Battlefields' skins or the ledges? -_-

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
i tried to ask the people who wanted to replace brawl BF with melee BF why we couldn't just have both. apparently doing so would be "****ing stupid".
Player A: "Okay, I'll ban melee battlefield"
Player B: "Alright, let's play on brawl battlefield, then"
Player A: "Noooooo"
Same (but even more extreme) reason why WiFi Waiting Room isn't included; it becomes another FD and makes counterpicking kind of silly

Cubelarooso

Smash Lord
It seems to me, considering the point of this project, the phrasing should be whether we "keep Melee" Battlefield or "change to Brawl" Battlefield.
I understand how reluctance to try a change, even just cosmetic, may be an issue when attempting to convince Melee players to try P:M. But, we may alternatively alienate newcomers, who might see such would see keeping the Melee form as regressive, and the game's players as stubborn.
If it were to have the Melee only, couldn't one simply port the Battlfield from Demo 1, if they so desired? Wasn't that already a perfect recreation, sans ledges and that glitch with coming up from below?
Then again, the argument against having both (collisions, camera, and all) regarding stage striking only works if one assumes we keep the same method as now. Which, at this point, I have my doubts about.
Under the appropriate striking system, having such subtle variations could in fact enrich the stage-pick metagame, rather than dilute it with unavoidable counterpicks.
The argument against having both (just aesthetics) regarding stage striking doesn't work at all.
Doesn't really affect me, anyhow, since they both look alright to me, and I plan to have both+64 Battlefields with ASL.

Mr.Jackpot

Smash Lord
I don't care which battlefield we have as long as it doesn't have that horrid Melee battlefield background.

cooler1339

Smash Apprentice
I'm a huge Melee fan but I've always thought Brawl battlefield was Brawls best stage. If possible it would be nice to have a non tournament map category where we can still play these good stages. If not it's no big deal.

Giygacoal

Smash Lord
Quick questions: Why is Zamus's new move called the "hooligan", and how does the move work?

iLink

Smash Champion
I just want to know if they were talking about the stage's texture or changing the ledges and collision to melee's.

If it's the first then I'm indifferent as I can just swap it out with something I like.

If they are talking about completely changed it back to melee, then I can't say I'm too thrilled about it. Not just because the ledges suck, but because it really isn't pleasant to look at in general.

TeiunBomb

Smash Apprentice
On a related note: If Brawl's Battlefield ledges were kept, I wouldn't mind if the stage was changed aesthetically to look something like this. Just change the top platform, shrink the stage, and everything would be golden. Of course, that's just me.

G

genkaku

the current resized battlefield is probably the most neutral stage in any smash game.

Kink-Link5

Smash Hero
Falco/marth pretty much do all the same **** on YS as on current BF though. The platforms and ceiling are extremely similar in size and position. And not in the "3-plats are all similar" way, in the "They're nearly identical in size and spacing" way. The only real difference is how close they are to the edge, from what I can tell.

G

genkaku

blastzones, obv.
I mean, more than half of the time battlefield is the first stage played after initial stagestriking. Anyone remember rom4 GFs? Is BF a go-to ban in any matchup? Melee BF is, while still a stage with specific characteristics, extremely neutral. Yeah, spacies and marth do stuff, but they do stuff on a lot of stages, haha. So do most other characters. The main complaints with melee BF is its ledges, which are obviously a truer neutral in PM currently.
The only real contender I could see for a more neutral stage would be frozen PS2, but I don't know what the blastzones are like on that. If the ceiling is as low as PS1 then no way. If not then possibly, although the removal of a middle platform removes a lot of options for some characters, so it's still a little iffy. Definitely a really strong neutral, though, haha.
[edit] Smashville is up there as well, but I think that the single moving platform kind of screws with the same options that not having a middle platform on frozen PS2 does. It's still a great neutral, but would probably be more practical to strike more often than BF, which seems to me to be a pretty good way to measure things.

G

genkaku

Blastzones are really identical between Brawl BF and Melee YS as well. Brawl battlefield has a very slightly bigger bottom and wider sides, because it's a voluptuous harlot who takes it in the rear.
Are they? I don't play brawl, so I wouldn't know, haha. I was under the impression that they were adjusted to match melee's for PM...

hotdogturtle

Smash Master
Even the Brawl BF in the demo had edited platforms that made them the same size and position as Melee. IIRC the blast zones were Melee sized too. I thought that the whole recent discussion about which BF to use was about the ledges, because that's really the only difference between the two.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom