• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Project M Social Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

BuraiHell

Smash Apprentice
EDIT: @Burai, the Falco v Link match up is dreadful Imo. In a tourney setting, I could not get a match off this one Falco and wound up dead last. Given, it was Wifi, but our connection was pretty good.
It's always been like that. In Brawl I HATED Falco. He just wrecked me so badly. I'm sure it's worse in Melee. He'd just be constantly shoving lasers down my throat and kicking me to hell.

Anyway, that's precisely why I want experience with it. With Falco being one of the most used characters and a major threat, I need to be able to handle him for if I ever get into tournaments. I won't be considered a great Link player if I can't play against high tiers. Taj wrecks high tiers with his M2 and is considered godlike for it. So, ya.... If I can't become one of the best or at least a threat with my Link then it's like i've wasted my time practicing >_<

cmart

Smash Lord
This is the fate of all low-tier mains. Unless you can go the extra mile and hock it with the high tiers, you'll always just be an "also-ran". That's why most people who "main" low tiers also have a high tier they can break out for when money/pride is on the line. Hopefully P: M is balanced enough that playing the "low" tiers will not be such a serious handicap.

Onomanic

Heaven Piercer
It's always been like that. In Brawl I HATED Falco. He just wrecked me so badly. I'm sure it's worse in Melee. He'd just be constantly shoving lasers down my throat and kicking me to hell.

Anyway, that's precisely why I want experience with it. With Falco being one of the most used characters and a major threat, I need to be able to handle him for if I ever get into tournaments. I won't be considered a great Link player if I can't play against high tiers. Taj wrecks high tiers with his M2 and is considered godlike for it. So, ya.... If I can't become one of the best or at least a threat with my Link then it's like i've wasted my time practicing >_<
I think that's what everyone aims for: to be the best with their respective main. I'd love to known as "that Link guy" but high tiers can be such a *****. I can deal with Marth pretty well, Fox is meh, but Falco is god awful. That's what alts are for I guess, but I'd prefer dealing with those MUs with Link, like Axe does with his Pika. For me, my Link is plenty technical, it's just the mental part of the game that is really irking me. I'm at that "skill plateau" as some people call it, and it's really a pain :(

BuraiHell

Smash Apprentice
This is the fate of all low-tier mains. Unless you can go the extra mile and hock it with the high tiers, you'll always just be an "also-ran". That's why most people who "main" low tiers also have a high tier they can break out for when money/pride is on the line. Hopefully P: M is balanced enough that playing the "low" tiers will not be such a serious handicap.
My low tiers always perform better than my high tier main though. It's sad. My Link is a hell of a lot more effective than my Marth. Not sure about my CF since I just recently started using him for P:M..
I think P:M will be fine in terms of balance. We have the update advantage, you know? If someone's too underwhelming then we just fix it.

I think that's what everyone aims for: to be the best with their respective main. I'd love to known as "that Link guy" but high tiers can be such a *****. I can deal with Marth pretty well, Fox is meh, but Falco is god awful. That's what alts are for I guess, but I'd prefer dealing with those MUs with Link, like Axe does with his Pika. For me, my Link is plenty technical, it's just the mental part of the game that is really irking me. I'm at that "skill plateau" as some people call it, and it's really a pain :(
Indeed they are. Especially when they seem to be able to perfectly exploit every single weakness your character has. Speed/Priority/Recovery/Range etc. (I'm not referring to Link with all of those)
If you always break out a higher tier to deal with high tiers then your low tier never really gets recognition.
The mental part of the game (like prediction and the like) bothers me because I'm stupid pessimistic and I always think my prediction will be wrong and I'll die or my opponent will know what I'm trying to do. Oh well. -destined to be a failure- ahaha..

Oh, could you make it so that the later half of link's bomb pull (after the bomb is already in his hand) can be cancelled by a landing?
Then short hop - bomb pull wouldn't be met with having to stand still for a half second if I'm not mistaken. Of course I could be wrong. This coupled with a higher bomb limit... :D

Ulevo

Smash Master
I'm hoping the changes to MK are for balance sake and not saltiness' sake, like some people seem to want, upon reading the SSB4 thread. MK for playable tier!
Did you check out the video I linked of Falco400 and SciFiGuy with MK vs Wario? Was some tight matches. I'm honestly ecstatic for Meta Knight. I think they've done a brilliant job in balancing him, or at least transitioning him. He looks like a legit top tier with amazing tools but apparent flaws that can be exploited. Just what I wanted for the character. It's obviously too early to tell whether or not he's under or over the top from a public standpoint, but first impressions are good.

I wouldn't worry at all man.

Onomanic

Heaven Piercer
Did you check out the video I linked of Falco400 and SciFiGuy with MK vs Wario? Was some tight matches. I'm honestly ecstatic for Meta Knight. I think they've done a brilliant job in balancing him, or at least transitioning him. He looks like a legit top tier with amazing tools but apparent flaws that can be exploited. Just what I wanted for the character. It's obviously too early to tell whether or not he's under or over the top from a public standpoint, but first impressions are good.

I wouldn't worry at all man.
I have seen those videos and honestly, I can't wait. I'd use MK in Brawl but I'd be just another MK main. I intend on 2nd maining MK to hopefully deal with some tougher MUs. It's honestly a difference between watching and playing lol

Onomanic

Heaven Piercer
Someone explain Meta Knight, please? :bee:
MK is now a fast faller, his multi-jumps now nerfed quite a bit and his up B now longer is a glide. He features Roy's tipper system (i.e. at the blade) as well as his Dtilt, which is good for setting up combos. I'm sure someone else can probably get a lot more in-depth than I can :p

BlueSuperSonic1

Smash Journeyman
If I remember correctly, he doesn't have Roy's tipper system, but instead a unique one where the tip has less base knockback, but more knockback growth and the center has more base knockback, but less knockback growth. However, this could've changed.

slimpyman

Smash Journeyman
Im really looking forward to a vast diversity of players in p:m. I know the plan is to bring everyone up to high tier, instead of nerfing the top tiers. hopefully once the competitive scene catches on, it will be unlike melee, where there was shiek, falco, fox, marth in all tournaments.... p:m for life. bwahahha. i rely on this games worth, more then any game coming out in the future. seriously. im getting older, and games really dont usually make the cut anymore. at least when i start sweeping people in p:m i get endorphins shot right into my face. it makes me feel good..

btw, mk looks awesome. too bad brawl gave me a sour taste in my mouth about him. meh, i may just pick him up just to say im using a "new" character. im awful with snake. not awfully good, but awfully awful.

Archangel

Smash Hero
NNID
combat22386
Hi Cmart ^_^ *waves*

I agree completely. It would be miraculous if somehow all the match-ups were kept within the bounds of 60-40.

BuraiHell

Smash Apprentice
Nothing below 70-30 should ever exist >_>
Anything worse than that implies some sort of abuse against a character.
THAT'S WRONG

Anyone have vBrawl Ganon's matchup list? :DD

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
I still to this day perform best in tournament using Donkey Kong, despite spending a decent amount of time learning Fox and Marth.

BuraiHell

Smash Apprentice
I didn't know brawl Ganon was so bad, I figured he must've had really bad match-ups against high tiers, but I didn't expect him to have that against even the rest of the bottom tier.
Ya, it's really sad. He's in G(anon) tier for a reason. Now if this were Vermanubis' Ganon.. It'd look roughly the same as MK's matchups. Only better. :)

NeoZ

Smash Ace
Ya, it's really sad. He's in G(anon) tier for a reason. Now if this were Vermanubis' Ganon.. It'd look roughly the same as MK's matchups. Only better. :)
I have no idea who Vermanubis is, but I just searched for a video of him, and I'm impressed at how bad some of Ganondorf's brawl animations are, especially his running animation.

BuraiHell

Smash Apprentice
I have no idea who Vermanubis is, but I just searched for a video of him, and I'm impressed at how bad some of Ganondorf's brawl animations are, especially his running animation.
Hahaha

Ya, they are pretty gross >_>

But Verm is probably the best vbrawl Ganon I've ever played/seen. He wrecks everything. With Ganon. Bcuz Ganon.

NeoZ

Smash Ace
Hahaha

Ya, they are pretty gross >_>

But Verm is probably the best vbrawl Ganon I've ever played/seen. He wrecks everything. With Ganon. Bcuz Ganon.
I kinda got bored around the 35 second mark, and I wouldn't even know what qualifies as good brawl player, I know next to nothing about the game.

On-topic: toaster, is the stream still happening?

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
literally... but still, cant we try and think that kage playing as ganon almost makes him 2good?
Being the best Ganon in Melee is a completely different story. It's like being in the top 5 Foxes.

Speaking of which, with people quitting, I think I'm 5th best DK now?

BuraiHell

Smash Apprentice
People play DK? <_<

I suppose you can be 5th.. out of like.. 7 ;D
I'm jk.

It's all about the Link and Ganon though.

And Zelda I guess.. (She felt left out)

NeoZ

Smash Ace
Point taken.
I wasn't trying to get any point across, it's just that with games I don't know much about, seeing someone decent might register as seeing someone great.

I wouldn't be able to tell between a good player and a great player unless it was pretty evident, brawl doesn't do much to make it obvious, it's like *run, run, shield a lot, spam something, attack the air, trade hits, get 2 hit combos, get sent flying at 200% and hold the control stick towards the stage to live, stare at each other and jump, camp the ledge*.

Since I'm pretty ignorant about the game, that's what it looks to me at most levels of play.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom