• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Project M Social Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gea

Smash Master
I know this sounds dumb (especially if you want the authentic trajectories from Melee) but Luigi's Brawl - slap feels alot like Sheik's Melee one. Just a thought

rPSIvysaur

[ɑɹsaɪ]
well rather than the fact that we RIPPED THE DATA STRAIGHT FROM MELEE... that could be a reasonable suggestion.

Gea

Smash Master
I know that, but DIing makes it different, yes? So unless you can fix the issue of DI, adjusting the move would be the next step.

G

genkaku

Find a way to melee-ify DI vs. reformatting every move for half the cast. I dunno about that one.
In other news, I still think Dreamland looks sub-par without the 64 tree. Really cool otherwise, though.

Gea

Smash Master
Find a way to melee-ify DI vs. reformatting every move for half the cast. I dunno about that one.
Wouldn't it boil down to if fixing how the game reads controller input as DI is possible? And this seems to have more of an impact on gameplay with moves that have close to pure horizontal knockback.

Gea

Smash Master
Well yes, I know that, and I'm not even advocating any current changes to the characters who have Melee data inputted. That said, there is no definite way of saying you can fix this. What if it's hardcoded?

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
I know that, but DIing makes it different, yes? So unless you can fix the issue of DI, adjusting the move would be the next step.
The only difference in how DI works is that it affects trajectory more than in Melee. Thus, we cannot and will not compensate for this by lowering the trajectory of some horizontal killing moves, because then on no DI and bad DI they'd be even worse off than in Melee.

kaizo13

Smash Champion
well rather than the fact that we RIPPED THE DATA STRAIGHT FROM MELEE... that could be a reasonable suggestion.
i know devs keep saying that data (physics/hitboxes) have been ripped straight from melee but, (i'm just wondering) would there be a possibility that maybe data isn't read the same in the Brawl engine as it is in Melee?

(ex.) like maybe "1" does not exactly translate to "1" when ported over to Brawl? (if that makes any sense)

GP&B

Ike 'n' Ike
NNID
MetalDude
I think DI, model sizes, and stages sizes (and boundaries) have everything to do with that.

Plum

Has never eaten a plum.
Premium
Well it is true...
Take the move with no DI in Melee and PM and you can see that the values translate.
The problem, like we have been saying forever is that DI is more effective in Brawl.
(arbitrary values coming up)
Let's just say that max DI effects the trajectory by 5% of what the angle actually is in Melee. In Brawl it would be like 10%.
I don't know actually how effective DI is in each game by percent, but doing a side by side comparison of each game makes it clear that Brawl has more potency.
We have wizards though. I swear Magus, Shanus, Dantarion, and etc are all secretly magic. If we can change DI it is just a matter of our wizards finding it.

GP&B

Ike 'n' Ike
NNID
MetalDude
Well, shanus managed to get CC and jab resets working to (IIRC) perfection and Dantarion got near landing detection on accident (last I remember, again) so I know they'll find the spot for it.

Gea

Smash Master
I don't know actually how effective DI is in each game by percent, but doing a side by side comparison of each game makes it clear that Brawl has more potency.
I thought Magus made it clear that Brawl DI was likely twice as strong (because instead of averaging the two directions, it adds them).

Stevo

Smash Champion
alright, my bad.
it just stuck out to me. I shouldnt have mentioned it.
Sonic looks pretty cool, on the other hand.

So what IS an issue that would be of someone's concern at this point? What are the play-tester's play-testing for? I'd love to test it out with some Canadians here. are they just testing the melee physics?
if Sonic's overall melee'fication is not an issue, why are the testers playing sonic and sheik like 30 times?

Is there anything someone who ISNT a dev or playtester can do besides HYPE and not post useless comments like a dumb-***?

Revven

FrankerZ
So what IS an issue that would be of someone's concern at this point? What are the play-tester's play-testing for? I'd love to test it out with some Canadians here. are they just testing the melee physics?
Catching things we haven't implemented yet, catching things that still feel off that we may have missed in our coding, seeing how a character's playstyle is in relation to how Melee is etc.

Feedback on balance is welcome but, we likely wouldn't implement balance **** until LATER for good reason and that reason is getting the game to feel right.

shanus

Smash Hero
alright, my bad.
it just stuck out to me. I shouldnt have mentioned it.
Sonic looks pretty cool, on the other hand.

if Sonic's overall melee'fication is not an issue, why are the testers playing sonic and sheik like 30 times?

Is there anything someone who ISNT a dev or playtester can do besides HYPE and not post useless comments like a dumb-***?
We like to hear feedback on how things look, etc. Small nuances like the framespeed of his usmash however, are things that will always be in flux and won't contribute a whole lot. But being like, I think HA functionality looks a little too abusable and might be better if it did XYZ would add to the conversation.

Or nothing that sheik's upB control looks to be off at the start of the move, or other melee-esque properties that might have been overlooked. There is plenty to contribute, but usually the outright obvious is just that, and doesn't need to be stated.

Stevo

Smash Champion
alright thanks for the responses.
I should probably either apply or shut up anyway.

You guys should get somebody to just handle PR stuff. Like post news and whatnot. I think it would reduce the amount of useless posts here.

People just want to be a part of things I think. (even if they shouldnt be a part of it)

Could even make a "Useless banter" thread for people to discuss P:M "news" so dev's dont have to waste their time reading comments like "Sonic's up-smash is too fast, derp"

Just a thought

.Marik

is a social misfit
Catching things we haven't implemented yet, catching things that still feel off that we may have missed in our coding, seeing how a character's playstyle is in relation to how Melee is etc.

Feedback on balance is welcome but, we likely wouldn't implement balance **** until LATER for good reason and that reason is getting the game to feel right.
You're a snappy little fellow, aren't you?

Sovereign

Game Reaper
NNID
Sovereign90
Hey guys, two questions:

1. Are you guys going to implement Melee's other shield, that allows your shield to take more damage, covering your character's entire model? I can't really remember the name of it, but it was bigger and lighter than a normal shield.

2. Concerning Ike's Dsmash. Would anyone consider making it better by making it similar to Link's Fsmash, where it's two parts, and you press 'A' again to get the second hit? I know character specific balancing isn't particularly the primary focus, since you guys were talking about bringing back the feel. So far, you guys are doing a great job.

GP&B

Ike 'n' Ike
NNID
MetalDude
1. Light shielding; it's being attempted at the very least, but it's not exactly the easiest thing to code.

Sovereign

Game Reaper
NNID
Sovereign90
1. Light shielding; it's being attempted at the very least, but it's not exactly the easiest thing to code.
I understand, with coding having to deal with the sensitivity of the shield button being pressed. Takes a lot of technical work, I'd assume, but we all know what assuming does.

Now, the answer to question number 2. Go!

Revven

FrankerZ
I understand, with coding having to deal with the sensitivity of the shield button being pressed. Takes a lot of technical work, I'd assume, but we all know what assuming does.

Now, the answer to question number 2. Go!

We already have a light presses code, it just doesn't generate a light shield. We have the input, just no light shield.

As for #2, that's actually an interesting idea, we'll consider it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom