• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Project M Social Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

AMKalmar

Smash Ace
Is shielding in melee completely analog or is there just shield and light shield. If it's just the two, would it be possible to map light shield to its own button? This could be useful for people who use classic controllers, people who've removed the springs from their gamecube controller, or people who have the shoulder triggers set as something other than shield. It would probably rather difficult to implement however.

jalued

Smash Lord
Is shielding in melee completely analog or is there just shield and light shield. If it's just the two, would it be possible to map light shield to its own button? This could be useful for people who use classic controllers, people who've removed the springs from their gamecube controller, or people who have the shoulder triggers set as something other than shield. It would probably rather difficult to implement however.
isn't removing the springs cheating?

Stevo

Smash Champion
short answer: it's analog
I see how it is

long answer:
The Nintendo Game Cube controller shoulder buttons are analog, which allows you to grow/shrink your shield in-game depending on how far you press the button.

"An Analog or analogue signal is any continuous signal for which the time varying feature (variable) of the signal is a representation of some other time varying quantity, i.e., analogous to another time varying signal. It differs from a digital signal in terms of small fluctuations in the signal which are meaningful. Analog is usually thought of in an electrical context; however, mechanical, pneumatic, hydraulic, and other systems may also convey analog signals.

An analog signal uses some property of the medium to convey the signal's information. For example, an aneroid barometer uses rotary position as the signal to convey pressure information. Electrically, the property most commonly used is voltage followed closely by frequency, current, and charge.

Any information may be conveyed by an analog signal; often such a signal is a measured response to changes in physical phenomena, such as sound, light, temperature, position, or pressure, and is achieved using a transducer.

For example, in sound recording, fluctuations in air pressure (that is to say, sound) strike the diaphragm of a microphone which induces corresponding fluctuations in the current produced by a coil in an electromagnetic microphone, or the voltage produced by a condensor microphone. The voltage or the current is said to be an "analog" of the sound.

An analog signal has a theoretically infinite resolution. In practice an analog signal is subject to noise and a finite slew rate. Therefore, both analog and digital systems are subject to limitations in resolution and bandwidth. As analog systems become more complex, effects such as non-linearity and noise ultimately degrade analog resolution to such an extent that the performance of digital systems may surpass it. Similarly, as digital systems become more complex, errors can occur in the digital data stream. A comparable performing digital system is more complex and requires more bandwidth than its analog counterpart. In analog systems, it is difficult to detect when such degradation occurs. However, in digital systems, degradation can not only be detected but corrected as well.

The main advantage is the fine definition of the analog signal which has the potential for an infinite amount of signal resolution. Compared to digital signals, analog signals are of higher density. Another advantage with analog signals is that their processing may be achieved more simply than with the digital equivalent. An analog signal may be processed directly by analog components, though some processes aren't available except in digital form.

The primary disadvantage of analog signaling is that any system has noise – i.e., random unwanted variation. As the signal is copied and re-copied, or transmitted over long distances, these apparently random variations become dominant. Electrically, these losses can be diminished by shielding, good connections, and several cable types such as coaxial or twisted pair.

The effects of noise create signal loss and distortion. This is impossible to recover, since amplifying the signal to recover attenuated parts of the signal amplifies the noise (distortion/interference) as well. Even if the resolution of an analog signal is higher than a comparable digital signal, the difference can be overshadowed by the noise in the signal.

Most of the analog systems also suffer from generation loss.

See also

* Analog device
* Analog sound vs. digital sound
* Digital signal
* Analog signal processing
* Analog-to-digital converter
"

-Wikipedia

using this information, we can safely say, mapping light shield to another button is not a complete fix.

We could agree on it being a sufficient replacement, however.

AMKalmar

Smash Ace
I know what analog is and I know that the shoulder triggers are analog. I was asking if melee shield are analog or off/light/full.

And more importantly, would gameplay be any different if shielding was off/half/on as oppose to analog? I don't think that a 2/3 shield is all that different from a 1/3 shield. If there was the option to map full shield to one button and 1/2 shield to another button, I'm sure some people would use it.

Fly_Amanita

Master of Caribou
And more importantly, would gameplay be any different if shielding was off/half/on as oppose to analog? I don't think that a 2/3 shield is all that different from a 1/3 shield. If there was the option to map full shield to one button and 1/2 shield to another button, I'm sure some people would use it.
It does matter a little for ICs. I can't speak for other characters.

OmegaMuffin

Smash Journeyman
NNID
OmegaMuffin498
Alright so I'm a complete noob at Melee, although I can do the simple ATs but I'd like to say I'm extremely excited to play this. I've been lurking in this particular topic for way too long a little while and I love the progress being made. I'm excited to see the different changes you guys make to each character.

But enough about me. How's Ivysaur doing if i may ask? Last I heard of her she had an absorb pummel. I was thinking maybe her leaves' trajectory could be more controlable and the distance is dependent on the tilt of the control stick (like Samus' missiles) if that hasnt already been suggested.

OmegaMuffin

Smash Journeyman
NNID
OmegaMuffin498
I don't know what you meant by "pummel", but what came to mind to me was the extra jabs/hits you do before you throw somebody recovers Ivysaurs "HP". That'd be pretty cool.
Yea that's what I meant. A lot of people raged over it though. saying "it wasn't melee". Neither is giving yourself damage while you're trying to recover. But ok.

And another thing. When the good Captain crouched he made a REALLY annoying clicking sound. Is that still there?

Revven

FrankerZ
Actually, wrong, running for most characters are less annoying. Crouching sounds may have stayed but, other movement actions may have been modified (i.e Captain Falcon's running SFX aren't annoying anymore). Will crouching SFX stay? Maybe if it's not annoying, it's something we haven't touched on but movement excluding crouching has been modified SFX wise for most characters.

Gea

Smash Master
The metal sounds on Falcon? Pretty sure those were totally scrapped.

EDIT: Ninja'd D:
Really? Must have been fairly recent (or the video I was watching was an older build). I said they were still in because every time he jumped you could hear the CLACK

Edit: Nevermind I am thinking of the windbreaker noise on his aerials. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ff6skoV6XEE

D

Deleted member

Actually, wrong, running for most characters are less annoying. Crouching sounds may have stayed but, other movement actions may have been modified (i.e Captain Falcon's running SFX aren't annoying anymore). Will crouching SFX stay? Maybe if it's not annoying, it's something we haven't touched on but movement excluding crouching has been modified SFX wise for most characters.
Idk if you have already done this, but the sound Wolf has when he lands...

Also, the sound Ganon makes when he crouches is amazing. It would be the sound a tank would make if it could tbag.

GP&B

Ike 'n' Ike
NNID
MetalDude
I feel that the picture you posted insinuates that R.O.B. will be getting a move that's equal to Diddy's >B.

I'm not entirely sure how to react to a move where a robot forces one to suck his mechanical **** (besides metaphorically?).

I R MarF

Smash Ace
Speaking of ROB, what is his wavedash like? It seems like he should slide a lot considering he is on weels (at least on smooth surfaces)

kaizo13

Smash Champion
for some reason i pictured you as Brawl Ganon as i was reading your post lol

.....and i got IRL tech skill too D:

my last post was obviously a mindgame ;)

obviously

Supreme Dirt

King of the Railway
Does kirby still have his crouch SFX? It's so much fun annoying people with it. Better than his taunts.

Supreme Dirt

King of the Railway
WTF is that avatar? Wow. It may have scarred me for life.

Also that's awesome. I may be maining Kirby and Ganondorf in P:M, if they're as awesome as they look.

Shadic

Alakadoof?
NNID
Shadoof
Nope. I should really get an Alakazam model that I could use for putting Alakadoof in Brawl/P:M. His moveset would be glorious.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom