• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Project M Social Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yung Mei

Where all da hot anime moms at
Baked Alaska

Anyway
KB stacking mechanics are officially my least favorite thing in the ****ing game.
6 times in 7 matches was a kill stolen from me by my own bacon when using game and watch. Once during my own ****ing pan spike. Another on a 9. Thanks a lot, falco.
this is exactly what cost me the 3-0 win in my money match vs eggz - i accidentally naired him into a bacon, and it stopped him cold , then he came back and won 3 games in a row

but oh well, thats just one of the "perks" of playing gnw ;w;

BTmoney

a l l b e c o m e $
I'm just glad that the broken typing of Ghost-Dark is restricted to fairly crappy Pokemon lol
looool, idk why but the fact that pokemon came up pleased me.

fire/ice is cool, but wtf would it be as a pokemon? lol

Speaking of: I suddenly have 2 slots open for fakemon in my 150-strong "JOE-dex" I am reviving.

Any ideas?
It would switch in to stealth rocks and die lmao

Giygacoal

Smash Lord
Baked Alaska

Anyway
KB stacking mechanics are officially my least favorite thing in the ****ing game.
6 times in 7 matches was a kill stolen from me by my own bacon when using game and watch. Once during my own ****ing pan spike. Another on a 9. Thanks a lot, falco.
But imprisoning someone in a cage of food is still fun...

leelue

Smash Lord
starters are at the bottom because your cursor starts at the bottom. it doesn't make sense to force players to move their cursor the maximum distance to select the most common stages.
So uh, how about dat moving of FoD from the bottom row and putting literally any other decent stage there so malinformed or lazy TOs wont make tournament rulesets as though we aren't in 2013?

trash?

witty/pretty
Premium
NNID
????
But then we might make the people who get literal bouts of red-seeing rage whenever something isn't exactly like melee angry.

Granted I think a lot of the smaller stages are becoming questionable, thanks to bowser seemingly wrecking everything and everyone in them but shhhhh it worked in the game that's not this one and it'll work here, dammit

D

Deleted member

Just because it gets destroyed by that terrible move (I seriously hope they nerf it this generation) doesn't mean it isn't cool! Plus Volcarona still manages to be cool and usable.

JOE!

Smash Hero
Hrm, I have a ninetales evo in there (I have 10 pokemon that are evolutions of previous ones, 2 per gen) that I think should be replaced with a.... Dodrio evo...

thoughts? :p

Vashimus

Smash Master
Just because it gets destroyed by that terrible move (I seriously hope they nerf it this generation) doesn't mean it isn't cool! Plus Volcarona still manages to be cool and usable.
Because the combination of Quiver Dance and its stats more or less offset the terrible SR weakness. SR shapes the metagame so much, those 4x weak to it need to have other redeeming qualities to even stay relevant. Yanmega would be pretty terrible if it didn't have Speed Boost for instance.

Outside of that, Fire/Ice sounds interesting, works decently well offensively save for water types.

JOE!

Smash Hero
Right, if it was just limited to 2x or 1/2 instead of the extremes that'd be fine, as is it makes or breaks pokes...

Anywho, I have also noted there are many dinosaur pokes, and just animal0based ones in general... any concepts for say, a mechanical*/non-natural pair of mons?

Mechanical, but not steel... have a few of those...

Spiffykins

Smash Ace
fire/ice is cool, but wtf would it be as a pokemon? lol

Speaking of: I suddenly have 2 slots open for fakemon in my 150-strong "JOE-dex" I am reviving.

Any ideas?
Are CAPmon acceptable? Because I love Syclant.

Syclant
Type: Ice/Bug
Ability 1: Mountaineer - Immune to Stealth Rock and all Rock type attacks on the turn it is switched in
Ability 2: Compoundeyes - 1.3x accuracy
Stats: 70 HP / 116 Atk / 70 Def / 114 SpA / 64 SpD / 121 Spe

hotdogturtle

Smash Master
I was going to say no, but then I actually looked at it. That is a surprisingly good idea, and it seems like it could be implemented nicely as long as it looks good.

9Kplus1

Smash Master
Yanmega would be pretty terrible if it didn't have Speed Boost for instance.
Late, but that was a pretty bad example. Speed Boost Yanmega is underwhelming even in lower tiers and was crap last gen before and after the Hypnosis nerf. I don't see how Speed Boost offsets its 4x weakness to SR; if anything, Yanmega's salvagable physical bulk and access to a wide array of coverage (as well as Roost and Tinted Lens) makes up for its SR weakness.

Vashimus

Smash Master
Late, but that was a pretty bad example. Speed Boost Yanmega is underwhelming even in lower tiers and was crap last gen before and after the Hypnosis nerf. I don't see how Speed Boost offsets its 4x weakness to SR; if anything, Yanmega's salvagable physical bulk and access to a wide array of coverage (as well as Roost and Tinted Lens) makes up for its SR weakness.
I didn't say it completely offset it, I was getting across that Speed Boost is something that certainly puts it above a lot of other Pokes with crippling weaknesses to the rocks (Looking at you, Moltres), though Tinted Lens deserved mention as well. I never put Roost on it, so I can't say anything on that, and forget about Hypno-miss. In the lower tiers, Yanmega has always been a good Pokemon.

As for being a bad example, there are only so many Pokes with 4x weaknesses to Rock. If you can give me another one not named Ho-oh that isn't rotting in the bottom tiers, let me hear it.

GP&B

Ike 'n' Ike
NNID
MetalDude
I like colored tags a lot. It makes sense next to colored shields. I can't wait for the BP mod to be done too.

traffic.

Smash Journeyman
http://www.justin.tv/breeezzz

We're streaming all day to test our setup with a borrow dazzle, we're gonna check out a few devices and be setting up a P:M stream in the near future.

Coming to you live from Our NEW Apartment!!!!!! in Coquitlam BC, Canada:

Breez, Traffic, Blunted_Object10, Cabosan, Yakal, and Meta!

If you like Captain Falcon, then you're gonna loooove this stream :v !

JOE!

Smash Hero
Are CAPmon acceptable? Because I love Syclant.

Syclant
Type: Ice/Bug
Ability 1: Mountaineer - Immune to Stealth Rock and all Rock type attacks on the turn it is switched in
Ability 2: Compoundeyes - 1.3x accuracy
Stats: 70 HP / 116 Atk / 70 Def / 114 SpA / 64 SpD / 121 Spe
While cool (:awesome:), I'd rather have 100% new guys...

I have my current roster a few posts up if you wanna check it out!

Mr.Jackpot

Smash Lord
I'd be happy just as long as I can download it and install it myself. Is there an existing download link for that?
It's not done or released yet, but I'm on the edge of my seat.

A super flashy new HUD would be pretty great for Project M's publicity, a lot of us could install it ourselves too but there are a lot less experienced Project M users and casual players who have never heard of modding who would love this out of the box.

9bit_alt

Banned via Warnings
It's not done or released yet, but I'm on the edge of my seat.

A super flashy new HUD would be pretty great for Project M's publicity, a lot of us could install it ourselves too but there are a lot less experienced Project M users and casual players who have never heard of modding who would love this out of the box.
And of course a custom UI would really help PM stand out from Melee and Brawl. Hey, anything that gets the kids talkin'!

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
So uh, how about dat moving of FoD from the bottom row and putting literally any other decent stage there so malinformed or lazy TOs wont make tournament rulesets as though we aren't in 2013?
fountain of dreams is a great stage
if you don't want to play on it game 1 use one of your 3 strikes on it just like spacies do for FD against 90% of the cast lol

9Kplus1

Smash Master
In the lower tiers, Yanmega has always been a good Pokemon.
Mew was and still is generally paired with Pokemon fully capable of dealing with Yanmega; Cobalion, another top UU threat for a time, has never really cared about Yanmega; and Snorlax, as well as Chansey during its rule in UU, absolutely poops on Yanmega. Even standard UU offense has always been able to keep Yanmega at bay. I mean, underwhelming Pokemon can be 'good' -- I'm not going to deny that, but UU has always favored, well, better Pokemon.
As for being a bad example, there are only so many Pokes with 4x weaknesses to Rock. If you can give me another one not named Ho-oh that isn't rotting in the bottom tiers, let me hear it.
That's a too linear of an approach in determining which Pokemon are good or bad examples here. There are many instances in which a Pokemon is 'awkwardly tiered' (i.e, it performs better in a different metagame game than the one it's delegated to). Like, seriously, you're making Stoutland cry. With that in mind, here are other examples of Pokemon whose niche outweighs their 4x weakness to Stealth Rock:

Scyther - Current UU is kind to Scyther; Fighting-types are generally strong in UU and thanks to Scyther's base 105 Speed, STAB Technician Aerial Ace and Roost, as well as the massive defense boost from Evio, it can check most, if not every single one. Scyther is also capable of checking other top threats, such as Shaymin and OTR Slowking (kinda iffy due to the threat of Fire Blast / Scald, but it can work in a pinch). I dunno about you, but given all of that I and a good chunk of UUers can overlook Scyther's 4x weakness to Stealth Rock, especially considering that Blastiose and Hitmontop synergize very well with it. (Eh, just to be safe, the "...and a good chunk of UUers" thing stems from what I've observed in both UU tournies and PS!'s ladder).

Moltres - Moltres suffers from Stoutland syndrome IMO. In OU, it has access to its 100%-accurate STAB Hurricane and after having used it for quite some time (at the request of user alexwolf), I can genuinely say that it too is a good example of a Pokemon 4x weak to SR that's worth using. For starters, Moltres stomps on SF Lando-I, which is undoubtedly one of OU's biggest threats and with Agility, can sweep standard sand offense (Tyranitar / Celebi / Latios / Lando-I / ScarfDeo / Steel-type) with only a bit of support (not necessarily Dugtrio, but anything that can at least lure and severely weaken Tyranitar (Colbur + CM Latios for example)); Moltres also birdhandles sun without breaking a sweat, which another something that Torn-I wishes it could do. Even in UU, something that can check Victini / Darm / Shaymin / Cobal / BU Scrafty / CM Virizion and maintain a strong offensive presence is definitely worth the effort to use.

I really want to mention Articuno for its niche in Ubers (great SDef + Ice STAB + Hurricane), but it would take a bit more to explain since people generally aren't familiar with the Ubers metagame. So, to reiterate myself, Yanmega is an ass Pokemon and there are certainly better examples out there; it's been ass since early D/P and every single metagame change from that point forth has been very unkind to it.

Vashimus

Smash Master
Stall is one of my favorite playstyles, and I have no doubt in my mind it would be eliminated as a playstyle if the concept of setting up entry hazards, spinning away the opponent's hazards and stopping them from spinning yours away, was removed. As poorly as GF executed it, I generally have no other qualms about SR.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
Oh the Pokemon talks!

All of the Pokemon listed sans Scyther are heavily impacted by SR (because obviously Scyther was never gonna be OU regardless). Their roles and niches ARE being cut short due to that massive weakness. Moltres on paper sounds ok, but it has too many conflicting things going on. You want 100% Hurricane at the cost of weakening Fire Blast, 100% Thunder from other Rain comps, having a Pokemon that's basically worthless defensively sans vs Sun Teams, etc. Agility Set won't have the power you want/need, Spec sets are slow and poop easy to revenge, it's not good. Without rain, basically kiss Hurricane goodbye. He's an awkward Pokemon for OU, for that niche. It's outclassed as a generic special sweeper or Spec user, so then it's further narrowed down and constricted in usefulness (not to mention godawful typing being an issue, regardless of SR).

I also question the idea of Articuno in Ubers, because how would it shine in that role better than another choice? I don't understand Hurricane, in Ubers, from an Articuno... being that amazing lol. Ice STAB is great, but it hits like a weak puny *****. Articuno doesn't even muster 100 base SA, that's not impressive enough to scare off enough threats. What scenarios are popping up, that he's proving to be useful? If a Specs Dragon is out, you either soak the hit switching Articuno in or Articuno is coming in after the faint. The first scenario can get real ugly if SR is around, the second isn't special because plenty of Pokemon can force the switch from Latios/etc Pokemon that just Draco'd. If the Pokemon is neither weak to Ice or Hurricane, you probably won't have the offensive muster to threaten it. If it's a CM user, maybe you can Toxic it, but yeah I'm just not seeing it. It sounds like a huge liability and more like a limited option against the people that don't play Kyogre as well as they could/similar pokes. Special Sponge, but gonna do poorly against Electric and Fire. Not to mention that awful typing is **** for dealing with Priority.

Without SR, MAYBE I could see some usage because you'd expect it to be kinda ****in healthy every so often lol. With SR, you cut into its ability to stall, wall, and frankly live for more than an attack or two. Offensively, you can try to justify working around the 4x weakness with a ridiculous setup or support. But if you're defensively inclined, 4x weakness to SR is damn close to a death sentence towards any "real" viability.

Yanmega went downhill with Team Preview, same with Ninjask, because knowing beforehand about Speed Boost Pokemon is a huge boon and can easily allow you to stop or plan for their setup. The only hard flaw that he had in DP (besides SR) was that he just didn't hit hard enough. Using Specs took away the Protect option for securing a speed boost, and severely limited you in coverage because you can't afford to be stuck on 1 move and then watch Heatran switch in for free. With a bit more power behind him/better STABS, he would have been nasty in DP. He had too many counters though, and Team Preview further ruined him (that and SR being used on more than dedicated leads was a bad shift for him)

Vashimus

Smash Master
I agree you'd have to be crazy to use Articuno in Ubers. It's weak, has a terrible typing, and doesn't accomplish much at all. If Ice STAB is something you really need, Kyurem-W, Ice Arceus (both of whom are just as bulky, if not bulkier than Articuno), Mamoswine and even Cloyster are your best bets, and Torn-T is the better Hurricane spammer thanks to better stats and the fact it heals off SR damage each time it switches.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom