• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Project M Social Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
SONIC IS KEWL HE SPINZZ N WARIO LAMEEEEEEEEEEEEEE DOES HE PAINT WHY DOES HE HAVE OVERALLS WHO IS HE

there on topic again

Vashimus

Smash Master
Quagsire is not viable for OU overall. There are already plenty of viable ways to stop a Sweeper from wrecking havok. 95% of the time, I'd take Alakazam over Quagsire if I had to. Alakazam with FS and Magic Guard can usually get at least 1 clean shot, and can stop a lot with the appropriate move (maybe not Calm Mind sweepers who have already set up but that's not his fault). You can stop Cloyster, Dragons, sometimes get 2 shots at a person behind a Sub, deal with a random scarfed Pokemon, etc. Then, if you deal with those threats or they don't pop up, you have a useful Pokemon waiting to be used instead of Quagpoop.

Stopping Sweepers is usually Scarfing, and occasionally with Walls if you are more defensive. Quagsire is too specific of a niche Pokemon to be used for whatever the hell you want. If you need to stop a +3 Salamence, maybe you should have addressed that before he got to +3 instead of trying to use Quagsire. That's basically it: throw out that scarf or better wall or revenge kill it. Don't use Quagmire (yes Quagmire). Also if you want a Water Absorb, you're better off with Gastrodon obv... Quag got no place lol.
Yeah yeah yeah, checks and counters, scarfers, blah blah. I've been playing for a long time. I would think I would know how to handle a Salamence if it set up, thank you very much. But I know a useful Pokemon when I see one. Nay, USE one, rather than theory craft. Is he a mediocre Pokemon overall? Yes. Can he be useful? Hell yes. If he wasn't, why the hell would Smogon even bother putting up UU and OU analysis' and strategies for Quagsire when he's RU? :glare:

Back to P:M....

:phone:

Juushichi

sugoi ~ sugoi ~
Goddamn, Eli.

Stop making me want to pick up Luigi seriously.

Also, think of this thread as (For) The (People who play) Project M, Social thread and you'll be a-okay. If you want stage talk, there's a thread for that. Character viability, thread for that. Characters? subforum for that. Badda-bing, badda-boom.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
Can be, doesn't mean "will" be. That's the difference with Quagsire: cards have to fall in your favor to begin with when using him.

bubbaking

Smash Hero
Baldwin, NY, USA or Alexandria, VA, USA (Pick one)
Bring up a good topic, Laijin, and you can be guaranteed that I'll respond.

Who cares if Quagsire is the Pokemon in possesion of Unaware that can even be considered OU-viable? Unaware is a balls horrible ability in this metagame, especially if the Pokemon running it has no means of combatting rain and falters to anything with the slightest bit of power.
Unaware is bad? I always just thought it was the Pokemon not the ability. :smash:

You know what other Pokemon serves a very specific purpose and requires intelligent play? Erufuun. What's the difference between those two? Whenever one switches Quagsire in to perform its 'task', they risk losing the entire game; Erufuun only comes with the risk of being down a mon. There's a large difference between something with a specific niche and something that's just... bad.
Uh, well, I'm gonna slightly disagree with you on this. "Erufuun" and Quagsire simply aren't comparable. Erufuun keeps you from setting up with priority Taunt shenanigans, but once the poke has already set-up, she's kinda useless. Quagsire nullifies set-up, so he can still switch in on those who've done so. In other words, with Quag, you're allowed to make a proper 'check' move after you've confirmed the set-up.

tl;dr - These Pokemon just serve different roles. In a sense, they're on different sides of the 'reaction table'. They're both mediocre, though.

@Vash: I understand you completely. Have you checked out Victreebel's sets on Smogon lately? I didn't know how beast that monster could potentially be until a friend enlightened me. I've never run into it, but now I know to be properly fearful if I do. :scared:

Vashimus

Smash Master
Well, Whimsicott also has priority Encore to lock the opponent into the set-up move, then it can just do whatever it wants from there. Only difference is Quahsire gives you more leeway since you don't have to predict like beast as much as you would with Whimsi.

You know, if Kinky had a Pokemon, it'd be Whimsicott. Screw Charizard.

bubbaking

Smash Hero
Well, Whimsicott also has priority Encore to lock the opponent into the set-up move, then it can just do whatever it wants from there. Only difference is Quahsire gives you more leeway since you don't have to predict like beast as much as you would with Whimsi.

You know, if Kinky had a Pokemon, it'd be Whimsicott. Screw Charizard.
True, but the major problem here is Teeeeaaam Previeeeeew. For example, if I have a Shell Smash Cloyster and I see that you have Whimsi in Team Preview, then whenever I pull out my Cloyster, I'm not thinking twice. I'm Icicle Spearing RIGHT OFF THE BAT. Whimsi's probably gone (switched in) and I win. I'm talking from experience because this is EXACTLY what I did against one of these former BW 'VGC finalists' on PO (also happens to be a friend of mine) and it won me the match, and this was back when half of everyone online was running Whimsi because it was supposedly 'broken'. This problem wouldn't happen to Quag, of course. Quag would wall Cloyser regardless of whatever it did.

The moral of the story is that Team Preview invalidates a bunch of pokes.

ELI-mination

Smash Champion
If anyone finds any awesome combo/clips (keep it relatively short) of P:M, please send me the link in a private message

maybe it'll get featured in an upcoming video of mine

voorhese

Smash Master
So i played this game finally. I played some lucas with a friend, I made a post about it on FB and I am too lazy to remake it, so here u go =P

"Played some PM with Adam today to learn lucas...the kid is OP.

examples; you can either hold down + back to auto shine behind u instantly, OR shine then turn around, if u do it the 2nd way there is actually 2 hitbox's
as you put the shine out it has a hitbox, and then again when u turn it around on the other side (not sure if it works or not, but I am thinking you can cross up someone shield and hit it twice, once in front and once on the turn around).

His dthrow HAS to be DI'd behind him or it combos into upsmash really ****ing easy, and pretty much does even if it is DI'd behind him and he has his neutral b charged. If he doesn't he can just combo off of his dthrow.

Also he can JC his shine like fox right?
so think about it (this actually came to me in my sleep);
u can shine on the ground -> jump shine (double shine), Shine -> jump (higher) shine -> air dodge (westballz pressure, which is meh honestly, but this is where it gets intense)
you can also do that, but instead of air dodging down like fox/falco, you can double jump cancel into late aerials and go into more pressure.

he can shine grab also, and one of the pressure I think I really like with him is that when u hold his down b it keeps putting out a hitbox, and you can let go of b and jump cancel it, so you can actually mix up the time you actually cancel your shine

now with the shine turn around stuff I figured out a way to get to the ledge quick, u know shine turn around -> upb with fox?
u can do reverse down b -> jump -> tether

and then to easily time the invincibility you need for edgeguarding you can press back to let go of the ledge -> tether

his start up on neutral b pushes people away, so it's like marios cape when it comes to edgeguarding too >_< (i think adam discovered this one,i don't remember, we both we just ****ing around a lot and learned quick)

a fun little combo is shine -> jc -> forward b behind you, it has enough stun that you usually get some easy grabs off of it (idk about DI)

But because of his ability to DJC aerials/projectiles etc he has a lot of good spacing tools, and he has the high jump aerials instead of djc added since it's pm, so that's just more aerial options.

Adam said he is pretty sure his jab has set knock back, and it seemed like it to me too, so it's a nice way to combo into his grab, which sets him up for easy kills.

one of the things I was doing on shield was shine -> jump back -> shine in the other direction -> instant turn around (giving me a hitbox in front) (this was done to dodge lucas's big grab if he mashed shield grab). Then if the shine hit his shield I would djc into more pressure, and if it hit him I would air dodge down and back to tech chase.

there is a few more things I can't remember with out the game on and the controller in my hand right now =P but....

he has a ken combo....chain grabs.....shine.....easy kill off of dthrow...ledge stalling....several knee-esque moves....easy tech chases.....intense mixups.....the mother ****er is everything good in melee in 1 character
AND he has a tether recovery, which is super gay in pm

I love lucas so much now after 1 day of playing him."

Plum

Has never eaten a plum.
Premium
Team preview was actually what finally turned me off of competitive Pokemon.
Stealth Rock made my interest wane, and team preview did it in.
I can see that it adds another dimension to the game, but it removes one of my favorites since I first began playing competitively back in Gen II.
Stealth Rock is like the Meta Knight of Pokemon imo.

KOkingpin

Smash Champion
Wow, shots fired.

------------------------------------------------------

If there was a crew battle between the different regions (Midwest, Atlantic North, Atlantic South, South West, West Coast, Canada, Europe, etc.) featuring active members in the PM community (so players like Mew2King, Mango, and PP don't really count), which regions do you guys think will win? I think the Midwest would do pretty well, but I'm biased.
The south.

HBox, Reflex, And Wizzy (I'm pretty sure those were the top three at APEX correct me if I'm wrong) plus a bunch of other players who are pretty darn good.

ELI-mination

Smash Champion

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
Don't you know, though? I'm the UNDISPUTED CHAMPION OF a 16-man tournament that many top players declined to join THE WORLD

bubbaking

Smash Hero
Eli, are you only accepting YT vids? What about Twitch archived streams (with timestamps, of course)?

The south.

HBox, Reflex, And Wizzy (I'm pretty sure those were the top three at APEX correct me if I'm wrong) plus a bunch of other players who are pretty darn good.
I'm pretty sure if either Eli or M2K had gone to that tourney, he would have won.

ELI, I have a few that emphasize G&W's fireman-parachute combos. Not often seen.
Ehhh, you're kinda stretching it there. Cool stuff, though. :)

GimR

GimR, Co-Founder of VGBootCamp
NNID
VGBC_GimR
Smash @ Xanadu is live with Project M! Melee and Brawl later. Probably gonna have tournament tonight www. twitch.tv/vgbootcamp

Spiffykins

Smash Ace
I actually love Stealth Rock. Makes spinners like Forry SO much more important. :awesome:
Entry hazards are a great addition to the metagame, but rocks are OP. So many otherwise good pokemon are unviable just because of one stupid move. They should be a two-layer hazard, one layer being half as strong as it currently is.

Plus, don't you see how important Forry is as a sign of rocks' stupidness? There are only a few good spinners in each tier and fitting one onto a team is sometimes really difficult. I mean, sure, you can always slap Forry onto the last spot because it's that good, but the same can't really be said of any other spinner.

DrinkingFood

Smash Hero

So this is the screen I've gotten at least a dozen times trying to get hackmii installer to work. It freezes here and the disk drive flashes.

Twice I've gotten this screen, both times using letterbomb iirc. It froze here both times as well.

Anybody recognize either of these, maybe as a symptom of some wii problem? Seriously can't understand why I can't get this to work for me.

Vashimus

Smash Master
At the same time Spiffy, Stealth Rock is what is keeping a lot of threats in check. There are a lot of airbourne threats compared to back then, so having another entry hazard besides Spikes was kind of warranted.

As long as you have a Ghost type, Forretress can't do it's job. This is why I've always preferred Starmie as a spinner.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom