• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Project M Social Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kink-Link5

Smash Hero
I'm not just changing avatars. They're part of a set and I'm doing this thing with the avatars and the text colour and the location and the signature going through arrangements for all the touhou characters from EoSD until TD.

I've got a neat one planned for Orin.

And calm. There's only 26 more 2hus to go.

bubbaking

Smash Hero
Baldwin, NY, USA or Alexandria, VA, USA (Pick one)
"And the location"? What does that mean? :confused:

Gastrodon may be one of the rare examples, and that's partly due to Drizzle being in OU. With Water everywhere, he can't do bad lol. Even in UU though, you can play him like a SP Def version of Swampert + Water immunity/boost + Recovery + Status spreader.
[COLLAPSE="What Smogon says about Gastro"]With the prominence of Ferrothorn in OU, it is understandable that previously useful bulky Water-types such as Swampert have rapidly fallen in usage. Although Gastrodon was seldom used in the previous generation, it has curiously managed to avoid this trend and has actually gained significant popularity for a number of reasons. Gastrodon's signature ability, Storm Drain, has been buffed tremendously, not only giving it an immunity to Water-type attacks but also giving Gastrodon a free Special Attack boost when it is hit by one. In addition, because many teams now use Ferrothorn as their only Grass-type attacker, Hidden Power Grass is now almost never used, which lets Gastrodon completely wall special attackers such as Starmie and Rotom-W. Because Gastrodon now boasts all of these advantages over its competitors and the metagame in general, it has turned from a trivial novelty into an unexpectedly dangerous tank, either statusing helpless opponents or simply destroying them with the extra power that Storm Drain can provide.[/COLLAPSE]
That seems pretty legit.

What I'd personally say is that Gastro just severely outclasses all of the other Water/Ground pokes at walling what they usually wall (since they rarely do anything else, it seems) while spreading status. However, I feel like it's kinda weak to Toxic. I've never had any trouble taking care of this thing with Bliss (double entendre? :p). Also, I almost forgot: Gastrodon walls Kyogre in Ubers really, really well.

Edit: Guestimating here, but I'd think that Gastro does pretty well on 'offensive stall' teams.

Vashimus

Smash Master
Quagsire also gets some mileage out of OU, and I even use it on my stall team. Swampert can't take repeated hits, and with no recovey, that sucks.

:phone:

bubbaking

Smash Hero
@Kink: I don't regret asking, but I have no idea what you're saying. :ohwell:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=isUkkxK1vng Just 0:15 to 0:26 - There really should be a video clip around of just Bison saying that. :evil:

Edit: Quagsire's booty, though. At least Gastrodon can fight back. You can't fight anyone with dots for eyes. Do you realize what's happening to the manatees, just because they can't see 6 inches in front of them? :skull:

Edit 2: Why oh WHY does Superman have dots for eyes, even when everyone around him has regular eyeballs in their sockets????? JUST WHY?!?!? It literally annoys the heck out of me. Couldn't "Earth's greatest warrior" just get regular eyes like everyone else? It's no wonder he gets hit by the crap he does. He can't see half of what's going on! :smash:

bubbaking

Smash Hero
I wouldn't say it's futile. It's just that...
  1. Ivysaur is slow.
  2. Ivysaur's jumpsquat is 4 frames, I believe, which is slightly longer than optimal.
  3. Ivysaur's WL distance is not very impressive at all.
Link is actually in a very similar boat. WDs aren't "futile" with Ivy; they almost never are. They're just probably not as useful for her as they are for other characters with more mobility, a faster jumpsquat, and/or a longer WD.

Vashimus

Smash Master
But Stored Power will still get a power boost from stat buffs, even with Unaware in effect. :3
Hence why I said many, not all. And Stored Power sweepers aren't even that common in OU outside of Espeon, who turns tail at the sight of Scizor or Tyranitar, which are like what, on almost every team?

9Kplus1

Smash Master
Quagsire still stops many set-up sweepers in their tracks, which is invaluable for any stall team.

Setup sweepers are scarce in the current OU metagame (unless you're a ***** and frequent on PO2). Also, Quagsire requires committed investment to even be able to take on setup sweepers, i.e; Dragonite, Lucario, etc stomp on specially defensive and Volc, Latias, Keldeo, Rank, and friends take a huge creamy poop on physically defensive. Quagsire is underwhelming in OU and tiers below it, and nothing can really change that.

Vashimus

Smash Master
Setup sweepers are scarce in the current OU metagame (unless you're a ***** and frequent on PO2). Also, Quagsire requires committed investment to even be able to take on setup sweepers, i.e; Dragonite, Lucario, etc stomp on specially defensive and Volc, Latias, Keldeo, Rank, and friends take a huge creamy poop on physically defensive. Quagsire is underwhelming in OU and tiers below it, and nothing can really change that.
Not at all. I don't know what kind of OU you're playing but any team worth their salt will have a least one set up sweeper as back up, because they know if they run into a defensive team, they're f*cked.

Quagsire does his job just fine in OU, but he's not a Pokemon who can just throw on any team like Scizor and expect to do solid. You just have have to know how to use him and what his limits are (aka stay away from Grass types and Taunt).

You have 5 other teammates besides Quag. Where he really shines is stall teams. For example, Gliscor and Quagsire form a duo that can handle practically any physical attacker in OU and just Toxic stall as long as they want (even set up an SD and break through walls in Gliscor's case). Dragonite doesn't like locking itself into Outrage, and Lucario can never OHKO Quagsire and will die to an Earthquake. Blissey/Chansey can wall special attackers all day, with the exception of Keldeo, who's easy set up bait for Latias. That's already forming a solid team with Quag in it.

Besides, it's not like he has any other competition as an Unaware Polemon. Clefable prefers Magic Guard, and both Bibarel and Swoobat suck.

bubbaking

Smash Hero
I'm not going to agree with 9K and say that set-up sweepers are "scarce" but I AM going to say that 'one-hit wonders' are a LOT more common in 5th gen. If you take longer than a turn to set-up, you probably take too long. Everything just hits harder now, and CB/CS have become so viable and commonplace. All the tanks and walls can barely hold up. Quagsire is privileged in that he can 'negate' set-up, but he's still getting hit super hard by whatever CB/CS attacks there are out there. Since his movepool is kinda too shallow to actually do much outside of trying to wall someone, as far as I know, he, IMO, isn't as optimal as a lot of other walls you could be putting on your team.

Obviously, Quag has his niche uses that other pokes can't copy, so if he works on your team, then by all means, RUN THE HECK OUT OF IT! ;) I just wouldn't say he's as viable as the 'premiere walls/tanks' of OU.

You guys are high. Wavedashining to space d-tilt is awesome.
Because wavedashing to space just one move makes the action of wavedashing incredibly good for Ivy. You know, WD with Bowser to space ftilts (and fsmashes) is probably just as awesome. :smirk:

Overswarm

is laughing at you
Because wavedashing to space just one move makes the action of wavedashing incredibly good for Ivy. You know, WD with Bowser to space ftilts (and fsmashes) is probably just as awesome
No. Wavelanding with Bowser to f-tilt is, but wavedashing not so much.

Wave dash to d-tilt makes it incredibly good for Ivy because she doesn't have to turn around twice to back up and d-tilt, nor does she have to short hop backwards. Given her already large range advantage, anyone deciding to approach her that has to deal with a wavedash backwards enhances her strength tremendously.

Wavedashing forward with bowser gives him no additional advantage when attempting to f-tilt. Walking is fine.

Vashimus

Smash Master
And like I said, he serves a very specific purpose, and he must be played smart. I love putting Quagsire on stall teams because I can just be lazy about predicting because he'll take any physical attacker that tries to set up. Would I put him on a balanced team? Probably not, I'd resort to better defensive pivots like Jirachi, Skarmory, Gliscor, Heatran etc.

I myself was once like you Bubblequeen, and thought Quagsire was pretty mediocre until a friend told me how amazing it was. Then I tried it out for myself and was quite pleased with how it performed.

9Kplus1

Smash Master
http://paste.ubuntu.com/1598582/

Take a nice, long look at that. Oh, and keep in mind that Pokemon which dominate Quagsire have gotten a notable rise in usage thanks to the Torn-T ban.

Not at all. I don't know what kind of OU you're playing but any team worth their salt will have a least one set up sweeper as back up, because they know if they run into a defensive team, they're f*cked.
... No offense, but are you dumb? Foremost Kyu-B, Terrakion, CBChomper, and Latios have more than enough firepower to blast through defensive teams. Second, HO teams generally carry a setup sweeper for opposing offensive teams.

Who cares if Quagsire is the Pokemon in possesion of Unaware that can even be considered OU-viable? Unaware is a balls horrible ability in this metagame, especially if the Pokemon running it has no means of combatting rain and falters to anything with the slightest bit of power.

And like I said, he serves a very specific purpose, and he must be played smart. I love putting Quagsire on stall teams because I can just be lazy about predicting because he'll take any physical attacker that tries to set up. Would I put him on a balanced team? Probably not, I'd resort to better defensive pivots like Jirachi, Skarmory, Gliscor, Heatran etc.
You know what other Pokemon serves a very specific purpose and requires intelligent play? Erufuun. What's the difference between those two? Whenever one switches Quagsire in to perform its 'task', they risk losing the entire game; Erufuun only comes with the risk of being down a mon. There's a large difference between something with a specific niche and something that's just... bad.

metroid1117

Smash Master
Wow, shots fired.

------------------------------------------------------

If there was a crew battle between the different regions (Midwest, Atlantic North, Atlantic South, South West, West Coast, Canada, Europe, etc.) featuring active members in the PM community (so players like Mew2King, Mango, and PP don't really count), which regions do you guys think will win? I think the Midwest would do pretty well, but I'm biased.

Overswarm

is laughing at you
West Coast seems to have the highest concentration of skill from what I've seen, but I've only seen a bit.

Metroid, how often do you guys do Project M stuff?

I'd like to have some of you guys come down to one of my house tournaments sometime. They're half tournaments / half smashfests; we focus on just playing a lot of Project M and I supply food and housing to those who need it.

We're just starting Project M and I'm sure others here would love for a boost and to be shown what other characters can really do.

Vashimus

Smash Master
http://paste.ubuntu.com/1598582/

Take a nice, long look at that. Oh, and keep in mind that Pokemon which dominate Quagsire have gotten a notable rise in usage thanks to the Torn-T ban.

... No offense, but are you dumb? Foremost Kyu-B, Terrakion, CBChomper, and Latios have more than enough firepower to blast through defensive teams. Second, HO teams generally carry a setup sweeper for opposing offensive teams.

Who cares if Quagsire is the Pokemon in possesion of Unaware that can even be considered OU-viable? Unaware is a balls horrible ability in this metagame, especially if the Pokemon running it has no means of combatting rain and falters to anything with the slightest bit of power.

You know what other Pokemon serves a very specific purpose and requires intelligent play? Erufuun. What's the difference between those two? Whenever one switches Quagsire in to perform its 'task', they risk losing the entire game; Erufuun only comes with the risk of being down a mon. There's a large difference between something with a specific niche and something that's just... bad.
Yay, I love reading through statistics that prove...what was the argument exactly? That Quagsire was mediocre overall? Like I didn't already know that?

No offense, but saying "no offense" isn't a free pass to insult somebody. You know how piss easy it is to get around those Choiced attackers? More specifically, you know how Kyurem-B, Terrakion, and Latios get scared ****less when Scizor rears his ugly head? I'm 1000x more scared of a Salamence that's setup over any one of those Pokemon.

Have you ever even used Quagsire at all? If not, then you really have no room to judge. Quag has been holding his own in OU play WAY back when Thundurus and Excadrill were stomping through teams. So don't gimme that bullsh*t that Unaware is a balls ability, and you're truly an idiot of you think that. Doesn't handle rain teams well and can't take repeated powerful hits? Neither can a **** ton of other Pokemon. That's why you have 5 other teammates to support each other. Sometimes it's not always about the Pokemon itself, but how well it supports it's team and how the rest of the team supports it.

Like I said, use it well, play smart, you won't get swept, simple as that. And if you do get swept, hey, **** happens. But don't show me statistics and start theorymonning saying that he's hopelessly terrible to use in OU without having used him in practice yourself. That's what I did. Doubted him and thought he was terrible, friend recommended it, tried him, came to conclusion he was a competent Poke that could do his job with support.

bubbaking

Smash Hero
If there was a crew battle between the different regions (Midwest, Atlantic North, Atlantic South, South West, West Coast, Canada, Europe, etc.) featuring active members in the PM community (so players like Mew2King, Mango, and PP don't really count), which regions do you guys think will win? I think the Midwest would do pretty well, but I'm biased.
M2K counts, lolz! Don't you remember that he 4-stocked Eli somewhat recently? :p Also, from what I've seen of his activity on FB, he's been promoting P:M at Brawl and Melee events, so I'd definitely say he's still active. So is Mango, tbh (Sweet IX). PP though, yeah, I'd say he's inactive.

If we really had a crew battle between different regions, Atlantic North would win hands down! I don't know if Overswarm was talking about P:M or just Smash in general, but it's actually quite clear that the Atlantic North has the greatest concentration of skill (in EVERY Smash, lolz; just look at who dominates most of the big tourneys). We have Eli, Leelue, JCaesar, Cmart, Chillindude, Nintendude, Vanguard, man, we have a whole bunch of players; I can't even name them all. And then of course............we have me. :smirk:

Plum

Has never eaten a plum.
Premium
Superman always pissed me off anyway. He's neither super nor a man.

****er's just Regular Alien Guy.
Eh, Regular Alien Guy is a pretty apt name if he's living under a red sun... But we got dem yellow rays here so "Super" is pretty apt. Though man is a bit misleading. I propose he is called Super Alien Guy. :troll:

But Superman pisses me off too, albeit for different reasons. He's just boring. It's sad when writers have to rewrite the book on what Superman can and cannot do, and to what degree because they can't realistically write a challenge. Like, look at Superman in the Silver Age compared to now. They nixed powers altogether, toned down his speed, strength, intelligence, and so on, because he was literally too super. On top of it all, his good ol' American grown boy scout attitude is boring too. I've never been a fan of reading Superman and the only Superman material I own are crossovers with other heroes.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
All this Pokemon talk, my eyes hurt.

Quagsire is not viable for OU overall. There are already plenty of viable ways to stop a Sweeper from wrecking havok. 95% of the time, I'd take Alakazam over Quagsire if I had to. Alakazam with FS and Magic Guard can usually get at least 1 clean shot, and can stop a lot with the appropriate move (maybe not Calm Mind sweepers who have already set up but that's not his fault). You can stop Cloyster, Dragons, sometimes get 2 shots at a person behind a Sub, deal with a random scarfed Pokemon, etc. Then, if you deal with those threats or they don't pop up, you have a useful Pokemon waiting to be used instead of Quagpoop.

Stopping Sweepers is usually Scarfing, and occasionally with Walls if you are more defensive. Quagsire is too specific of a niche Pokemon to be used for whatever the hell you want. If you need to stop a +3 Salamence, maybe you should have addressed that before he got to +3 instead of trying to use Quagsire. That's basically it: throw out that scarf or better wall or revenge kill it. Don't use Quagmire (yes Quagmire). Also if you want a Water Absorb, you're better off with Gastrodon obv... Quag got no place lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom