• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Project M Social Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

bubbaking

Smash Hero
Baldwin, NY, USA or Alexandria, VA, USA (Pick one)
Drinking, those are moves that Zangief uses in SF. The "360 driver" is his spinning piledriver grab that does a ton of damage. The "lariat" is that move where he spins around while holding his arms outstretched. Haggar has the same exact move in UMvC3. It usually features a very good bit of invincibility on his upper body but is very punishable.

Edit: Actually, Haggar has BOTH moves. :p

That's N-Air. It's probably a little too good in its current state, even. It isn't mindless, but it's quite universally useful.
Welcome to most sex kicks. :awesome:

Well don't those moves kinda even out because of the properties they were given? Like in the case of bite you have such control of the movement of the move that a bigger hitbox would make it a little too difficult to deal with. Command grabs are usually hard to deal with, due to them being unable to be broken out of, and being able to use them in the air.
This. Besides, isn't this the reason that Ganon's sideB has, I guess, 'negative priority'?

Also with his tackle, it has the ability to go from ground to air (which if done at the edge you can jump during the middle of it to cover more distance, and then use it again to get back to the stage), you can mix it up by canceling it into a crouch, which has light armor on it, and you can get another mix up by doing a dash grab, which looks exactly like his side b and you can make it last just as long.
Not to mention, the sideB jump > DJ mix-up is a pretty good fake-out with Wario's great aerial mobility.

These are all strong choices, but when used incorrectly there are heavy consequences, like how side b is so negative on shield, how the crouch is very punishable if not spaced correctly, and that you can be easily hit out of his dash grab, since it doesn't have grab box until you end it.
The sideB isn't even that negative on shield (in my experience) because of how much shield stun it induces and how far away it pushes back the shield. You have to subtract 10+ frames for dropping/WDing out of your shield and traversing the distance to punish.

Also, someone answer this for me: Does Wario's sideB crouch edge cancel?

bubbaking

Smash Hero
Improving the range on Aerial Side B would probably be fine. The difference in power between a grounded one that's been traveling, and an aerial one is significant enough that you're heavily incentivized to keep it grounded anyways. For Bite though, IDK if it should last longer or have more range, but a tiny little touch would be good. I'd even take a slight nerf on throw knockback/angle out of Bite to balance it a bit if that's what it took.
The aerial one's really good at stuffing jumps though, and it's pretty good with the DJ to compliment it. You can't look forward to punishing the grounded one's lag because the jump seems to ALWAYS extends the charge by a set amount and it has pretty much no lag.

Does Bite auto-grab or does it only grab when he bites (when you release the B button or the move ends)?

And is one of Bubbaking's worst matchups.
Yes, quite. :nervous::teeth:

MaxThunder

PM Support
I was also thinking more along the lines of an original cast and story. There might be some references or inspirations from existing animations, but not to the degree of "THIS CHARACTER IS THE GRAPPLER. HE HAS A 360 DRIVER AND LARIAT."
so was i... a thread should be made for discussing this... doesn't smashboards have some sort of offtopic where it could be made if it doesn't fit anywhere else?..

i think wario's nair is the best sex kick in the game
welp see you guys later o/
it's more like a sex tummy, though...

bubbaking

Smash Hero
Actually, not all sex kicks are actually kicks. Sex kicks are really just low startup, low lag aerials with decent-to-good body coverage that usually start out strong and weaken with time. For exampe, DDD's nair is actually a sex kick. Going by this definition, Wario's nair is easily a "sex kick".

DrinkingFood

Smash Hero
well technically
if you want to get technically technical about it
technicaly sex kicks are technically kicks technically
Otherwise they'd technically be called sex attacks technically
Because technically, kicks are technically kicks
So technically, only kicks can technically be sex kicks
tech nickelly

bubbaking

Smash Hero

DrinkingFood

Smash Hero
I have no idea what either of those look like, despite now getting what they do :) SGs is like the only more traditional TFG I've attempted to play seriously (no tourneys, by seriously I mean with a competitive, time to figure **** out attitude) because I'm a broke ****er that can't afford video games, and SGs was cheap. I've played the tiniest bit of MK and soul caliber, but don't really like them because the characters feel so... stiff and immobile. Maybe I'm just doing it wrong? #spoiledbysmash

EDIT: Kink I was considering doing that but I knew you were going to do it so I settled for only one smiley

DrinkingFood

Smash Hero
Man sometimes I wish I had taken that scholarship offer from that college up in VA
coulda hung with part of the project:m dev crew if they'da had me, plus I've got family up there so it wouldn't have been so weird being more than 1000 miles from home
and uh-I would walk five hundred miles
and uh-I would walk five hundred more
just to be the man who walk a thousand miles to wind up at your door

bubbaking

Smash Hero
;) Yeah you're :sick: right, I :smash: must have been confused by her hav:pow:ing a 360 input grab and spinning arm :sadeyes: bar :smash::smash::smash:
:facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:
Don't be ridiculous. You said "360 driver" which clearly suggests a PILEDRIVER, something that Cerebella doesn't have. Also, lariats are spinning horizontal arm bars. How the heck can you confuse an actual Zangief/Haggar lariat with her Merry Go-Rilla?
:smash::smash::smash:

I have no idea what either of those look like, despite now getting what they do :) SGs is like the only more traditional TFG I've attempted to play seriously (no tourneys, by seriously I mean with a competitive, time to figure **** out attitude) because I'm a broke ****er that can't afford video games, and SGs was cheap. I've played the tiniest bit of MK and soul caliber, but don't really like them because the characters feel so... stiff and immobile. Maybe I'm just doing it wrong? #spoiledbysmash
No, that makes sense. I wouldn't call either of those "TFGs" (assuming that T = "True" and not "Traditional" which would be redundant considering what you said). SG is also a really good choice for beginners to FGs. ;)

for the record, **** kick is already taken.

That is Samus' up-tilt.
Fixed. :smirk:

Man sometimes I wish I had taken that scholarship offer from that college up in VA
coulda hung with part of the project:m dev crew if they'da had me, plus I've got family up there so it wouldn't have been so weird being more than 1000 miles from home
and uh-I would walk five hundred miles
and uh-I would walk five hundred more
just to be the man who walk a thousand miles to wind up at your door
Yeah, but then you'd have to deal with being in my region. :p

Jolteon

I'm sharpening my knife, kupo.
I will be streaming Project M gameplay tomorrow prior to King Funk's stream in order to raise money for Melee @ Evo! Professor Pro, Fuzzyness and myself will be playing. Tea will be present. Make sure to tune in.

Spiffykins

Smash Ace
Cerebella does neither lariats nor spinning pile-drivers. What drug are you smoking? :smash:

@Drinking: Hey, I didn't make up the term. "**** attack" would actually make a lot more sense, but that's not what came about.
http://super-smash-bros.wikia.com/wiki/Sex_Kick
http://www.ssbwiki.com/Sex_kick
As you can see, a very good portion of sex kicks aren't even kicks at all. :p
I can't be the only one who's sincerely glad "**** attack" isn't the commonly used term for it... :glare:

#HBC | Joker

Space Marine
NNID
HBCJoker
3DS FC
1864-9780-3232
it sounds to me like bubba is just getting wrapped up in animation instead of function. Like, if you told him Fei-Long's flame kick was a Dragon Punch he'd be all "wtf no it isn't! He uses his foot! :smash:"

bubbaking

Smash Hero
If it's her 623 armspin then yes I do. I don't see how that isn't a lariat analog though.
Piledriver (professional wrestling)
"A piledriver is a professional wrestling driver move in which the wrestler grabs his opponent, turns him upside-down, and drops into a sitting or kneeling position, driving the opponent head-first into the mat."
This is what Zangief and Haggar do. Cerebella's Ultimate Showstopper shares the 360 input, hence why most players simply refer to it as a "360 grab" or just a "360", not a "driver".

Lariat
"A professional wrestling move, similar to a clothesline, but while moving."
A "lariat" is horizontal. Cerebella's Diamond Dynamo is vertical. They're not similar at all other than the fact that they both involve spinning your arms. Also, I got 'Bella's moves mixed up. The Go-Rilla is a command grab. The Dynamo is the super.

@Private: The two moves have completely different functions, though (talking about lariat and Dynamo). Lariat provides upper body invincibility but leaves the lower body exposed. You can crouch under it and hit 'Gief's legs. Dynamo covers Cerebella's ENTIRE BODY and it ground bounces during the entire attacking portion of the move (which is the whole move, basically). They aren't similar in the slightest, and they're nothing like your DP example.

Edit: Furthermore, if anything, the lariat starts combos or breaks punishes. The Dynamo ends combos (unless you DHC it). They really aren't alike at all. Now, if Kink (and you) really wanted to argue this, he could say that the "driver" and the Showstopper essentially serve the same function, but the lariat and the Dynamo are two completely different moves, in animation, effect, AND function. They aren't even remotely similar outside of wildly spinning your arms. If we're gonna go that route, we might as well say that the Shoto chars' crouching HPs are basically DPs. 'Hey, they look kinda similar. Must be the same thing.' :p

Kink-Link5

Smash Hero
Not quite illegal tip, Madisa: By getting a game from Gamestop and then making your one very legal backup copy and returning the game to gamestop to get a full refund within 7 days, you can get games for free in the most legal and very very immoral way possible.

It's not about knowing what you can't do, but knowing what you CAN do.

Because being a pirate is illegal and naughty but making a single backup of a hardcopy is A-OK.

#HBC | Joker

Space Marine
NNID
HBCJoker
3DS FC
1864-9780-3232
Well admittedly, I know nothing about skullgirls so I don't know how the lariat example applies, but since you mentioned one of the moves being a high damage 360 input grab... I can't see any way that'd be different, so I assumed you were being picky. Like.. THawk's and Zangief's grabs are not different, despite them having different animations.

bubbaking

Smash Hero
My life's story:
Continued playing SSB 64 after everyone moved on to Melee. Finally got Melee a couple years before the Wii came out. Got a Wii and Brawl as soon as both were released. I just slowly caught up with everyone else. After Naruto CoN: Rev 3 came out however, I haven't bought another Wii game.

SpiderMad

Smash Master
It's more immoral sounding to do that than just pirate, and regarding the legality aspect of pirating games: I heard that you really only get busted for Movies. Half of the problem is I haven't wanted to play much of any games I've seen (Wii games suck though, but even for consoles I don't have): I especially lost interest in single player games.

Kink-Link5

Smash Hero
Muramasa, Elebits, Baroque, The Last Story, DKC (Be sure to get a codeset that lets you use a different controller option though).

For PS2, there's always ICO, Odin Sphere, ZOE, and Okami. Oh and of course the Ape Escape series and Sly Cooper.

SpiderMad

Smash Master
Never played any of those (that I recall) except for Ape Escape: I wanted to replay that game series just like Castlevania SoTN but I think I might have sold it (the great childhood epidemic where u randomly sell all ur good games)

bubbaking

Smash Hero
If you're going to get Okami, I highly recommend you get the Wii version. It's really well-done and the paint mechanics just flow smoothly with the motion controls. I recommend the same for RE4, which is a really, really good game...........IMO. ;)

Samus' counts as well lol

women can **** too
:woman:

I only own a Wii and PS2 and haven't bought a game in years (Haven't pirated any Wii/PC games either..yet). I've gotten by on Smash, Wc3, and Free FPS games.
What's "Wc3"? :confused:

I especially lost interest in single player games.
Woooooooooooooord. :smash:

SpiderMad

Smash Master
Warcraft 3, it's like Starcraft where you have units and all the same stuff: but it also had an in-depth custom game creator: that led to the original Dota.

I use to play both Ladder and Dota, but I recently re-installed it to find my favorite and most dominant bot hosting clan to move onto using some program to have private games. I'll probably use their program and stuff but I usually went AFK when I wanted to and I'll probably get banned now for it.

Yeah Bubba I agree single player games really don't push any of my buttons anymore, I did a lot of single player games as a kid besides having friends over for Cel Damage/Smash series/Crash bandicoot crash bash/NFL street 1+2. The PS2 really sucked since only some of the games had more than 2 ppl multiplayer: which would also lead you to have to use the splitter cable thing to plug in more controllers.

I don't relate to any of the nerds I talk to in my class when they get into single player games, then they talk about WoW though and that's something I hate even more lol (no offense to guy I listened to who talked about WoW a lot, it was interesting, but I really think any role playing game where your skill is tied to an account that's just a bulk of time wasting to gain things to boast rather to just make friends is stupid).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom