• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Project M Social Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

#HBC | Joker

Space Marine
NNID
HBCJoker
3DS FC
1864-9780-3232
I had no idea Brawl delayed controller inputs by 0-2 frames, that's insane! I'm really suprised that I've never heard of that before. So much else is known about frame data and such that I would think this would have been addressed at some point.

iLink

Smash Champion
That was actually kind of shocking to read. At first I thought it was referring to the delay in momentum but this seems like a bigger issue and I'm glad it was resolved.

EDIT: Reading the part about the c-stick, is stuff like running and usmash with c-stick still in tact or will we have to do it the melee way?

Shadic

Alakadoof?
NNID
Shadoof
EDIT: Reading the part about the c-stick, is stuff like running and usmash with c-stick still in tact or will we have to do it the melee way?
You can still Usmash with Cstick.

Happy holidays everybody. This was a crazy fix to get, and it's amazing how much better the game feels.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
For reference, the "1 frame momentum delay" is a small issue compared to this.

Kaye Cruiser

Waveshocker Sigma
NNID
KayeCruiser
Switch FC
0740-7501-7043
This is absolutely AMAZING!

I don't know how to count frames mentally or anything, but I always felt like the command on the screen happened a little too late after I pressed the button. I noticed it even more once I started B+, and then much moreso with P:M.

This is going to make using my characters SO much more fun and efficient now that things should happen exactly at the time I mentally calculate it. :3

McNinja

Smash Ace
So technically, before these fixes, the game was up to 3 frames off because of this and the 1 frame momentem delay?

:phone:

V-K

Smash Ace
Wow you guys are wizards. The input delay was pretty much the only thing I hated about PM compared to Melee. Awesome work, Can't wait.

drsusredfish

Smash Ace
what would be the point of purposley having input delay? the fact that you guys can take it out almost screams that nintendo put it there on purpose.

leafbarrett

Smash Lord
Mother of god. If they can make so much out of such a problematic engine, then imagine what they could do if they were handed a proper engine. I mean, my god, this is spectacular. Are you watching, Nintendo? Are you watching, Sakurai? These people are the designers of Smash 4. These are the game makers of the future. This is the Melee 2.0 that people have been clamoring for since Brawl hacking got going.

McNinja

Smash Ace
Mother of god. If they can make so much out of such a problematic engine, then imagine what they could do if they were handed a proper engine. I mean, my god, this is spectacular. Are you watching, Nintendo? Are you watching, Sakurai? These people are the designers of Smash 4. These are the game makers of the future. This is the Melee 2.0 that people have been clamoring for since Brawl hacking got going.
This. If only.

Revven

FrankerZ
So mechanics wise, what do you guys have left to tweak/change?
There's still a hefty list of more smaller things that needs to be done we have in the BR. Without listing the whole darn thing, I'll make some highlights.

Shield pushback, regeneration, degeneration (shield mechanics)
Sticky techrolls
SCD Bugs that are yet to be worked out still
Ledge mechanics
Tethers grappling walls
Some super minor C-stick things
Lightshielding
Powershield mechanics (not 100% perfect still afaik)

And then there's a multitude of other small stuff.

drsusredfish said:
what would be the point of purposley having input delay? the fact that you guys can take it out almost screams that nintendo put it there on purpose.
It wasn't so much purposefully. Magus can correct me if I'm wrong, but it was found that the game was actually referencing older inputs for some reason. Though it certainly escapes me how playtesters at Nintendo missed something like this... hell, even the programmers.

I'm still distraught even now.

B.W.

Smash Champion
In my opinion, light shielding should be handled differently than it was in Melee, simply because only gamecube controllers can do it the way it was done in Melee.

Instead something like holding B while shielding should give you the effect light shielding had, maybe still increase the size and stuff too, but the input should be different for those people who prefer to use the Classic Controller and whatnot.

ClinkStryphart

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ClinkStryphart
3DS FC
1891-1406-8889
awesome i can't wait for 2.5 now. controller fixes and all the other stuff. gonna feel like a brandnew game :-) happy holidays everyone.

iLink

Smash Champion
I actually had my 6-8 year old cousins play it earlier today. I was kind of amazing at how well they could do tilts without accidentally doing smash attacks or jumps. They were doing perfect utilts even with tap jump on. Was trying to show them jc grabs and l-canceling. They got the hang of doing the grabs and then made a contest out of trying to do the most l-canceles in a match lol.

trash?

witty/pretty
Premium
NNID
????
...Wouldn't that mean that there's a good chance that buffering exists solely to cover up the frame delay? It would make sense, as sort of a lazy workaround to properly fixing it.

Smooth Criminal

Da Cheef
NNID
boundless_light
I always thought it had something to do with bringing the online experience in line.

Too bad Brawl's horrible netcode on top of the buffer and input delay made it that much worse.

Smooth Criminal

leelue

Smash Lord
Yeah but an average of 1 frame of difference can definitely go unnoticed.
You can be like "aw I shielded" and write it off.
Things like an inability to RAR or act out of a ledgejump or anything else that glaringly says "Take More Time" can't.

DrinkingFood

Smash Hero
oops guess that means Ike's broken.

@leelue
doesnt seem like people werent noticing it. They just didnt know what the actual issue was, and so misidentified it.

Shadow Huan

Smash Champion
i play bowser mostly so not much to notice on that character...

but i did notice some delays playing other characters, thought it was the physics delay

big fix this one, should be interesting to play 2.5

bubbaking

Smash Hero
Baldwin, NY, USA or Alexandria, VA, USA (Pick one)
In my opinion, light shielding should be handled differently than it was in Melee, simply because only gamecube controllers can do it the way it was done in Melee.

Instead something like holding B while shielding should give you the effect light shielding had, maybe still increase the size and stuff too, but the input should be different for those people who prefer to use the Classic Controller and whatnot.
There is one slight problem with this. In Melee, one could control the density of the shield by altering the pressure with which they pressed the shield button. The only reliable way to do a 'perfect lightshield' was to press the Z button. In other words, only analog buttons (L&R buttons on GCN controllers) can truly replicate Melee's lightshielding mechanic. However, if one really wanted to change the way lightshields work in the way you're suggesting, it would be worthwhile to note that Classic Controllers have ZL and ZR buttons, so if those can be differentiated, then one of those could easily be used for lightshields.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom