• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Project M Social Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arcansi

Smash Champion
Yeah what he said. There's never been a perfectly balanced fighting game to ever exist, and you're never ever going to completely get matchups down when making one, because over time someone's going to some sort of tech that can range from making a matchup slightly easier, to outright changing the entire metagame. Remember, melee took a few years before characters who were not sheik were considered top tier.
This assumption is horrible.

There's no logical reason that someone will find tech. They may, but it is not always true that they will.

Also, balance changes after a game is out are a thing.

Pimpfish

Smash Journeyman
L2P but Lucario makes me ragequit
does buffering rolls help on his shield pressure? i havent played any good lukes, but i feel like buffering a roll right when he hits your shield would atleast mean he cant side b grab. just a thought. ddd is so good

Stevo

Smash Champion
Not logically correct. Rock Paper Scissors is perfectly balanced, as is my example above.

It may not be the BEST way to make a game perfectly balanced, but it IS perfectly balanced.
if it's not the best way to make a game pefectly balanced, then why would they do it? The point of this is not to argue about what the technical definition of balanced is, it's about how to make Project M the best it can be.

This assumption is horrible.

There's no logical reason that someone will find tech. They may, but it is not always true that they will.

Also, balance changes after a game is out are a thing.
they want to stay away from Balance changes after the game is out (for good reason)

Arcansi

Smash Champion
if it's not the best way to make a game pefectly balanced, then why would they do it? The point of this is not to argue about what the technical definition of balanced is, it's about how to make Project M the best it can be.
You don't seem to be reading all of my posts. The example with 60/40 still stands as an exemplary way to balance a game, if possible. (Which it is.)

That specific part isn't directly related to what you're talking about. Also, conversations can move their topic around.

NOTE: Project M can't be the best it can be if people don't know the technical definition of balance.

they want to stay away from Balance changes after the game is out (for good reason)
What reason is there that doesn't apply to not having a public beta?

Pimpfish

Smash Journeyman
the technical definiton of balance is fox only, final destination. where both players are mango.

Comeback Kid

Smash Champion
Because a public beta, especially one that lasts for years, is meant to get the game as balanced as possible before they release it into the world as the official version.

Once the game is finished, and I mean really done, then they will only release more balance changes if something is proven to be broken and therefore needs to be changed.

If nothing is broken, why change more things at that point and prevent a stable metagame from forming?

bubbaking

Smash Hero
Baldwin, NY, USA or Alexandria, VA, USA (Pick one)
the technical definiton of balance is fox only, final destination. where both players are mango.
Items on high, obviously
Whadya mean? If RPS is the only method to do things the proper way, then that means the phrase should obviously be "Game and Watch, Peach, or Luigi on Rainbow Cruise or Poke Floats only." We need to test how good you are at landing 9-hammers, stitchies, bob-ombs, and misfires on continuously, yet regularly, changing environments that truly emphasize how Smash is both a fighter and a platformer that stretches how we interpret "matchup ratios". That totally wasn't a statement about Smash balance, guys.

Stevo

Smash Champion
You don't seem to be reading all of my posts. The example with 60/40 still stands as an exemplary way to balance a game, if possible. (Which it is.)

That specific part isn't directly related to what you're talking about. Also, conversations can move their topic around.

NOTE: Project M can't be the best it can be if people don't know the technical definition of balance.

I don't know what you are trying to get at then. To have a perfectly Balanced game (which would be near impossible with Project M) you would have to constantly make balance patches. We still can't even agree on the tier list for melee!

The problem there, is next to nobody wants constant balance patches. 1 or 2 if necessary after release, maybe for some sort of large oversight, but overall, people want to learn the game and not have things constantly change on them. Brawl + had this issue, for example (among other things).

How can we even perfectly balance something when people will not agree on matchups anyway?

Basically, I have no idea what you are trying to convince others of. Maybe someone else can better explain why we shouldn't have balance updates.

Pimpfish

Smash Journeyman
it means for every 75 times character A can get laid, character B can only get laid 25 times.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
Project M would like to announce half off bagel sale

CSDragon

Smash Journeyman
The problem there, is next to nobody wants constant balance patches.
This really bugs me. Smash players are so spoiled in this regard. As a DotA/LoL/HoN player, I'm used to weekly/biweekly patches, and they work just fine. Heck, there's tons of hype over the balance changes in every one.

Make patches like monthly or something. Constant hype, a fluid and controllable meta, and the dream of new content is always on the horizon.

GaretHax

Smash Journeyman
Well a few characters will always dominate no matter how you try to balance a fighter. If you change one move from one character who knows how that affects every matchup. I'd say it's fine the way they are and everyone just needs to L2P.
Damn I missed posts like this so much sneak where are your get better posts at?
Spacies can be beaten and have very few polarizing matchups and those who suffer from one have been buffed and given tools to help. The hate for spacies just blows my mind sometimes especially considering how infrequently fox wins anything of importance these days compared to shiek and falco.
:phone:

trash?

witty/pretty
Premium
NNID
????
Arcansi, I am not making that statement in theory. I am making that statement based off an actual understanding of game design. There is physically, absolutely and positively no way for a fighting game with a varied cast to be truly, perfectly balanced in every conceivable way, because it implies a person will know absolutely everything a fanbase can and will do with a game. Even the most feasibly polished game in the entire world has an exploit, a bug that one of the many, many people who plays it has found and abused. I can tell you this because I am in a forum based around a fighting game that still has tricks to be found, over a decade after its release. This is an objective, absolute truth, and the sooner it is realized that this is the case, the sooner it would be realized that the point of balancing a game is to simply get as close as possible to perfection.

Also: weekly updates are a horrendous idea, and many, many of the developers of this mod can tell you that from experience.

CSDragon

Smash Journeyman
hey, if dota can do it

although, as I said above, month is probably better suited to P:M

jalued

Smash Lord
This really bugs me. Smash players are so spoiled in this regard. As a DotA/LoL/HoN player, I'm used to weekly/biweekly patches, and they work just fine. Heck, there's tons of hype over the balance changes in every one.

Make patches like monthly or something. Constant hype, a fluid and controllable meta, and the dream of new content is always on the horizon.
The difference is that patches for those games are compulsory and are automatically updated to EVERY player at the same time.

For Project M, this just isn't possible and having weekly updates would just fragment the community. People who didnt like changes wouldn't update and there would be alot of confusion surrounding the game.

CSDragon

Smash Journeyman
The difference is that patches for those games are compulsory and are automatically updated to EVERY player at the same time.

For Project M, this just isn't possible and having weekly updates would just fragment the community. People who didnt like changes wouldn't update and there would be alot of confusion surrounding the game.
Dota 2, hon and lol yes.

The original dota was just a mod to a game, run by a small team and distributed on a single website.
sound familiar?

GP&B

Ike 'n' Ike
NNID
MetalDude
The comparison fails when it comes to the platform they're on. PC is by far hugely more built for constant updates than consoles are.

bubbaking

Smash Hero
Baldwin, NY, USA or Alexandria, VA, USA (Pick one)

Agreed if only because of the bolded part.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom