• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Project M Social Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

stingers

Smash Obsessed
how does the pmbr feel about nerfing space animals?
also I am wondering about the powershield glitch (when you get a powershield but it doesnt reflect projectiles). whats up with that?

stingers

Smash Obsessed
so theres two types of powershields? thats pretty whack. in melee every powershield reflected projectiles iirc. these false positives are really ****ing up my timing.

MonkUnit

Project M Back Roomer
Melee had powershielding and powershield reflect as well. It's not Project M exclusive. IIRC frames 1-4 of getting your shield up powershields and frames 1-2 powershield reflect

jalued

Smash Lord
I would like to say that from the streams, marth is looking amazing. I don't know what changes you guys have been doing to his animations, but it's very impressive how much better he looks

metroid1117

Smash Master
Melee had powershielding and powershield reflect as well. It's not Project M exclusive. IIRC frames 1-4 of getting your shield up powershields and frames 1-2 powershield reflect
From the way Magus made it sound like in this post, it seemed like whenever you PS'd a projectile, you always reflected it. I thought the two frame windows mentioned above were specifically for PS'ing projectiles and PS'ing physical attacks, so shielding a projectile 3 frames after pulling up your shield would not give you a PS even though you PS'd it during the window for physical attacks. I could be wrong though, I tried digging around for info about what really happens in that last scenario but I couldn't find anything.

GaretHax

Smash Journeyman
how does the pmbr feel about nerfing space animals?
also I am wondering about the powershield glitch (when you get a powershield but it doesnt reflect projectiles). whats up with that?
I thought it had been said repeatedly that since melee top tiers are the baseline for pm, and what the devs are trying to balance the rest of the cast around, they will not be touched unless it is gamebreakingly, absolutely necessary. But I guess their stance could have changed =/ I hope not I rather enjoy playing against space animal players, especially those better than I am.

:phone:

`dazrin

Smash Champion
I'll be streaming the MitH6 Melee/PM tournament today featuring some of the Pacific NorthWest's finest such as Bladewise, Silentwolf, Sion, Toph, and Yakal, as well as the resurgence of Gimpyfish62 himself! PM bracket will start around 2pm PST if things go well, but I'll begin the stream in about half an hour or so on http://twitch.tv/dazee_

Come join the fun :)

stingers

Smash Obsessed
From the way Magus made it sound like in this post, it seemed like whenever you PS'd a projectile, you always reflected it. I thought the two frame windows mentioned above were specifically for PS'ing projectiles and PS'ing physical attacks, so shielding a projectile 3 frames after pulling up your shield would not give you a PS even though you PS'd it during the window for physical attacks. I could be wrong though, I tried digging around for info about what really happens in that last scenario but I couldn't find anything.
yeah see what monk said went against my intuition because I never got a PS on a projectile in melee and it didn't reflect.

It really has to do with the whole "false positive" aspect of it. even if the frames are technically the same, in melee, you were late on a projectile PS and nothing happened. in project m, you still get the powershield noise and effect, but no reflect. your brain still reads it as a success, and your muscle memory won't adjust...see what Im saying?

moleman915

Smash Apprentice
So was there supposed to be an update today that got delayed, or was one not planned at all?

(FYI: Just because I'm asking about an update that was supposed to be every Saturday doesn't mean I'm complaining, so please don't shoot me down with the whole "You're lucky you even have updates" thing because believe me, they are as important to you guys as they are to us.)

Shadic

Alakadoof?
NNID
Shadoof
The "Updates every Saturday" announcement was made in over-eagerness. One update every week or two is more realistic.

Sorry for the mixed messages.

Comeback Kid

Smash Champion
The "Updates every Saturday" announcement was made in over-eagerness. One update every week or two is more realistic.

Sorry for the mixed messages.
It's not updates every other week that bothers me, you guys update whenever you want.

It's how very long from now 2.5 will be released if the focus on rolling out every single update takes priority over, you know, just releasing it when it's done.

Pimpfish

Smash Journeyman
i think its unreasonable that the pm team wont give more of thier free time and release 2 updates a weak. why let life get in the way of pm? /logic

moleman915

Smash Apprentice
i think its unreasonable that the pm team wont give more of thier free time and release 2 updates a weak. why let life get in the way of pm? /logic
No one is asking them to give up their lives for this project. Some of us are just frustrated that we were told we would get an announcement every saturday and we have been let down multiple times now. So you can get off your knees for the project m team, no one is attacking them.

Shadic, thanks for the clarification. I'm happy you said something instead of letting us sit in the dark...and that's all I was asking for.

Sixth-Sense

Smash Ace
San Francisco, Venezuela (not the famous one)
Welp it seems like everyone's on the EVO hype train, so i'll ask this: Is captain falcon any better in 2.5, i'm not talking about buffs, but instead from what you guys have seen on stream (i can't watch streams btw) is he any smoother looking or anything, kinda like marth is looking alot smoother and faster (i think it was his dash animation that got changed).
And could anyone tell me how squirtle looked...please

Nintendude

Smash Hero
So those of you watching JC's stream today probably saw me trying out Ivysaur for a bit today. He's pretty fun to play and has some strengths, but it seems like he has no reliable ways to kill. Has anyone figured out some good setups other than d-throw -> Solarbeam?

Fly_Amanita

Master of Caribou
Since solar beam covers so much space, lots of random things can combo into it. Dtilt, fair, nair, sometimes dair and uair, probably utilt, etc.

Keep in mind that up-B can also KO very well, although I don't play Ivy often enough to remember what set-ups for that are actually reliable. Usmash is good on floaties (and still not bad on others). Ivy's edgeguarding is decent if you can get the opponent offstage, too.

Nintendude

Smash Hero
I don't think that Solarbeam is something that Ivysaur can count on unless one adopts a strategy of running away and very gradually charging it, which is very likely to be a losing strategy. I think of it as being really similar to Jigglypuff's Rest. It can cause big swings in a match and there are a variety of legitimate ways to land it, but it's not something that can be relied on.

9Kplus1

Smash Master
Nair -> Dsmash
Dair -> Uair
Uair -> Usmash
Tilt Razor Leaf -> Dash Attack
Uthrow / Uair / Utilt -> Seed Bomb
Dthrow / Dash Attack / Uair -> Sweetspot Vine Whip / Fair
Pivot Fsmash (Ivy jerks back quite a bit, which makes it both an interesting and usable mix-up)

@Nintendude

Fly_Amanita

Master of Caribou
I don't think that Solarbeam is something that Ivysaur can count on unless one adopts a strategy of running away and very gradually charging it, which is very likely to be a losing strategy. I think of it as being really similar to Jigglypuff's Rest. It can cause big swings in a match and there are a variety of legitimate ways to land it, but it's not something that can be relied on.
Yes, it is not something you can rely on often. Since you listed dthrow -> solar beam, I mentioned other solar beam set-ups. In the absence of solar beam, up-B is probably your best bet.

A few of the things 9K listed are okay, too.

bubbaking

Smash Hero
Baldwin, NY, USA or Alexandria, VA, USA (Pick one)
My main concern regarding Ivy is that she will crumble in the face of extreme rush-down, despite being a zoning queen. When I say "extreme rush-down," I'm mostly talking about the spacees, Sheik, and Lucario. I don't see how Ivy is supposed to combat against their ridiculous CQC games.

Anyway, some of you may remember that I posted about a month ago with regards to the growing P:M scene at Stony Brook University. Well, I'm proud to say that we're finally hosting a legit tournament. Check it out:
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=329148

I'll probably re-post this tomorrow when there's more activity on this thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom