• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Project M Social Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rikana

Smash Champion
Regarding the dash attack that goes off the ledge - it happens in melee too but not exactly how it does in pm. If you hold shield, you face forward and you can do instant wall jumps with it (just like melee; think falcon with instant wall jumps). If you hold towards the stage after the dash attack you can either face the stage and do an instant bair ledgeguard or grab the ledge. I don't like how it grabs the ledge either but the edgeguarding option is great.

:phone:

leelue

Smash Lord
Regarding the dash attack that goes off the ledge - it happens in melee too but not exactly how it does in pm. If you hold shield, you face forward and you can do instant wall jumps with it (just like melee; think falcon with instant wall jumps). If you hold towards the stage after the dash attack you can either face the stage and do an instant bair ledgeguard or grab the ledge. I don't like how it grabs the ledge either but the edgeguarding option is great.

Rikana, I'm aware that it existed in melee. But the feature isn't useful for ganon.
His dash attack sends people backwards
We have RARing to edgeguard backwards now, and to edgehog.

I don't like it on other characters either. It gets in the way of what people would consider a normal sequence of events.

This remnant of melee that was plugged into pm really, really aggravates me.

DrinkingFood

Smash Hero
Leelue, I'm pretty sure magus has explained this to you. That is a result of optimizing the Melee engine. The point wasn't to make dash attacks go off edges, it was to make IASA frames able to slide off edges if they have momentum. Or something along those lines.

ELI-mination

Smash Champion
I don't think he's confused about the reason for it, he just disagrees with it. Personally it doesn't matter to me but at the same time I don't see an actual point to it's existence.

Magus420

Smash Master
It was making more than the wait animation able to slide off edges (brawl only allowed it normally on run or something iirc and wait had it changed around when WDing was made). Like in 2.0 when Luigi WDed towards an edge then turned or shielded he'd stick to the edge awkwardly until the turn animation finished and went fully into wait or the shield was dropped completely before slipping off. It just looks weird out of moves that interrupt with remaining forward momentum since you don't see those things happen. Along with some dash attacks, Lucario's f-tilt, Sonic's jab I think, and maybe some other moves work out like that as well.

DrinkingFood

Smash Hero
^So leelue, there's a simple answer. He did it for Luigi. Poor guy needs it. No one ever pays attention to weegee

EDIT: Also, Lucario's DA does it as well.

leelue

Smash Lord
Sonic's jab does so as well, much to my chagrin.

So basically, my stance is what Eli said (minus the not caring). Could the effect on these moves be removed? Or would it be ok to not be able to interrupt moves with turning while you're still moving forward?

cannedbread

Smash Lord
mario is p good. i think he only has problems with approaching maybe i guess. he doesn't have any impossibru matchups and any free as a bee matchups that i know of so i think that means he balanced? i've been playing luigi a lot lately and he's kind of cool yo. i wonder what kind of tweaks luigi gets probably not much. i don't think he needs much.

ELI-mination

Smash Champion
I can list several matchups off the top of my head that are extremely free for Mario.
DK, Ganon, Link, Toon Link, Bowser, Sonic.
The rest just come at a low price.

iLink

Smash Champion
I would be sad about the lack of update if I didn't just find out Anarchy Reigns is coming out sooner then expected and only going to be $30.

I guess I can wait.

My guess is they are waiting on a video to finish being edited before they post it.

Hylian

Not even death can save you from me
Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
Why are there so many dumb chaingrabs in this game :/. Ganon can chaingrab link 0-death lmao.

Hylian

Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
Extra limbs are able to be grabbed in P:M than in Melee.
Well I mean..they took away sheiks chaingrab..and then gave like 10 other characters chaingrabs lmao.

iLink

Smash Champion
Well no character has a free chaingrab like sheik did. The closest thing is ganon's.

Hylian

Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
Well no character has a free chaingrab like sheik did. The closest thing is ganon's.
Uh, that's simply not true. Not even sure what you mean by free, you still had to follow their DI with shiek. Several characters in PM have easier just as long chaingrabs as shiek did in melee. I just don't understand the mentality of taking out chaingrabs on one character, and then giving the other characters long chaingrabs.

Edit: If you're looking into it should be fine. Just seems pretty easily fixable if you were able to fix shieks.

Comeback Kid

Smash Champion
Uh, that's simply not true. Not even sure what you mean by free, you still had to follow their DI with shiek. Several characters in PM have easier just as long chaingrabs as shiek did in melee. I just don't understand the mentality of taking out chaingrabs on one character, and then giving the other characters long chaingrabs.
Um, maybe because Sheik was already amazing and her chaingrab nerfs the usefulness of half the cast? While with other characters chaingrabbing is just an annoyance and not nearly as gamebreaking?

I don't think they purposefully put those chaingrabs in, so taking some of them out doesn't mean all of them can be gone.

Hylian

Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
Um, maybe because Sheik was already amazing and her chaingrab nerfs the usefulness of half the cast? While with other characters chaingrabbing is just an annoyance and not nearly as gamebreaking?
Do they really want the game to have almost unwinnable match-ups(for example Lucas vs Link or Lucas vs Ganon) because of chaingrabbing? Why keep 0-death chaingrabs when you could just add something with a better dynamic. Do people actually like just pressing down and regrabbing easily to kill someone? It's boring, it's easy, and it doesn't seem like it fits into the direction of the rest of the game.

NeoZ

Smash Ace
Do they really want the game to have almost unwinnable match-ups(for example Lucas vs Link or Lucas vs Ganon) because of chaingrabbing? Why keep 0-death chaingrabs when you could just add something with a better dynamic. Do people actually like just pressing down and regrabbing easily to kill someone? It's boring, it's easy, and it doesn't seem like it fits into the direction of the rest of the game.
They know this, it's the reason Shiek's down throw got changed, I seriously doubt 0-death chaingrabs will remain in the game once the final version is out.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
Mario beats everyone. discuss.
No. He'll still lose to Marth Shiek and Spacies.

mario is p good. i think he only has problems with approaching maybe i guess. he doesn't have any impossibru matchups and any free as a bee matchups that i know of so i think that means he balanced? i've been playing luigi a lot lately and he's kind of cool yo. i wonder what kind of tweaks luigi gets probably not much. i don't think he needs much.
Mario's in a pretty good spot balance wise. I'd love for more characters to fit his mold, maybe Marth or Falcon. Someone in that area is a good spot for most characters to be.

I can list several matchups off the top of my head that are extremely free for Mario.
DK, Ganon, Link, Toon Link, Bowser, Sonic.
The rest just come at a low price.

If by free you mean 6:4 on some of these, sure. The only one I'd think about contesting is Ganon.

Ganon? You gotta be kidding me, Ganon definitely wins the matchup.
Woah now let's calm down.

Why are there so many dumb chaingrabs in this game :/. Ganon can chaingrab link 0-death lmao.
To be fair, there are not a ton of "new" CG's that didn't exist from Melee. Mario Uthrow and Dthrow, G&W old Dthrow bounce, Falcon throws Marth Uthrow Ganon Dthrow melee style Shiek Fox G&W Pichu Peach IC's Doc etc

The only "new" ones would be like Ike Uthrow which was a given since he's gotta have something vs Spacies, and his Uthrow would be similar to Marth Roy etc. Link's Dthrow is possible because of his grab getting people from the air a little too good, and Ganon's is extended/better because of game mechanics they have yet to fix (that aren't easy mind you)

Edit: If you're looking into it should be fine. Just seems pretty easily fixable if you were able to fix shieks.
Shiek's Dthrow was fixed by making her throw angles act like PAL. You COULD change throw angles for other characters that have CG's, but a lot of characters are going to get toned down naturally with the general gameplay fixes to limbs and stage/platform detection. Fixing those will keep the Melee feel instead of "why does Ganon Dthrow send me away like Falcon Dthrow? Oh yeah because we had to change it before this got fixed"

I bet they will wait until those gameplay fixes are done, and then evaluate what would need to be done about throws. What makes more sense, changing throws NOW when stage detection and limbs aren't fixed? Then when those things get fixed, the throws look wonky and off? OR possibly fix the throws after they've been naturally nerfed in ease and duration with those fixes? It would be backwards thinking to try and fix or alter say Ganon Dthrow as of right now, until those fixes get through. If it's going to take an incredibly long time though, say another year, then I'd be a fan of changing it and then reverting it back once the fixes go through.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom