• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Project M Social Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
If you could cancel jump squat with shine, you could be shinning even more and that would make you an *******.

Hylian

Not even death can save you from me
Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
What's "ADC"?
i'm going to assume air dodge cancel.
This is correct.

I just kind of made the term up on the spot, but it made sense to me. I didn't want to call it AGTing since I'm not glide tossing anything lol.

Also, all you melee players should learn how to instant throw. It's very useful against items :p.

Hylian

Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
Sounds like a good way for Falco to avoid getting gimped by peach's turnips, and help with his short recovery, in turn.
Not to mention you can AGT out of an instant throw :).

DrinkingFood

Smash Hero
If you could cancel jump squat with shine, you could be shinning even more and that would make you an *******.
frame 1: jump-> frame 2: shine cancel jumpsquat + jump cancel shine in same frame->repeat for 30 shines/second when not hitting opponent
jesus christ
Still, can't fox do 15/second or something like that? Or is it 20?

DrinkingFood

Smash Hero
Not to mention you can AGT out of an instant throw :).
Wait what? I could AD catch the item, throw it to cancel the same air dodge, then airdodge and catch the turnip AGAIN and throw it AGAIN? How would it not be out of reach after the first throw?

Double posted again... not even going to bother to fix it this time. Just gotta remember to edit posts from now on instead...

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
Also, all you melee players should learn how to instant throw. It's very useful against items :p.
I can't believe I've forgotten about this. I'll remember to incorporate it into my game from now on :3

Hylian

Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
Wait what? I could AD catch the item, throw it to cancel the same air dodge, then airdodge and catch the turnip AGAIN and throw it AGAIN? How would it not be out of reach after the first throw?

Double posted again... not even going to bother to fix it this time. Just gotta remember to edit posts from now on instead...
Actually I'm not certain I just thought I've done this before, but I'm talking about agting in the same motion as instant throwing. Now that I think about it that doesn't sound possible lol I will need to test this.

say hylian, what in sam hill is an instant throw? it sounds fishy if ya ask me!
Instant throwing is catching an item with an air dodge, and then instantly(on the first few frames) cancelling the airdodge with an item throw. Basically the item seems to reflect off of you and this has no lag or anything. You can instant throw an item into someones shield over and over and over again for example, or two people could toss an item back and fourth while standing very close together.

Instant Catch*

Air dodging near an item auto-catches it.
Also, thanks for trying to correct me, but Instant throw is right and this is common knowledge and not what I'm talking about.

bubbaking

Smash Hero
Baldwin, NY, USA or Alexandria, VA, USA (Pick one)
Instant Catch*

Air dodging near an item auto-catches it.
No, he meant instant throw. If you catch an item with an AD, you can cancel it into an item throw. It's a very common Brawl tactic.

Edit: Ninja'd

frame 1: jump-> frame 2: shine cancel jumpsquat + jump cancel shine in same frame->repeat for 30 shines/second when not hitting opponent
jesus christ
Still, can't fox do 15/second or something like that? Or is it 20?
Wait, how would Fox shine cancel the jumpsquat AND jump cancel the shine in the same frame? If anything Fox would have to wait until frame 3 to cancel the shine...

Also, I have to add to my sig
Beat you to the punch. :smirk:

bubbaking

Smash Hero
Baldwin, NY, USA or Alexandria, VA, USA (Pick one)
I know he meant "if," but even so, it shouldn't be possible. The shine cancelled jump and the jump cancelled shine would be two separate actions that would have to take place on different frames:

Frame 1 - Enter jumpsquat
Frame 2 - Cancel jumpsquat with shine which comes out during this frame.
Frame 3 - Cancel shine with jumpsquat.

Kink-Link5

Smash Hero
Z will not catch an item if you recently threw or dropped one. Airdodge is the only thing that will, hence the need to clarify between an "instant" item catch and a normal one. Snake shield drops a grenade then wavedashes to grab it instantly.

Saying you can AGT out of Instant Throw is like saying Wolf can use blaster out of air dodge, Or Ness can Double Jump out of his aerials.

Hylian

Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
Can't you just press A to instant catch something as well? And why won't Z catch an item you dropped recently o.O IIRC it did in brawl.

Sanity's_Theif

Smash Ace
Lol I'm just going to stop taking you seriously now. I don't only use ftilt for edgeguarding. In fact, the first one that actually hits was to punish a spot dodge. The instances when I did use ftilt to edgeguard, I was just playing it safe. I was getting hit with misfires all day that day and didn't want to be stuck dealing with it off stage, so I could time my attacks easier onstage.

And the only matches you have are against that Temp guy. No offense but you do absolutely nothing impressive, even against a guy that clearly doesn't look like he has a very good grasp of the game at all. In fact, you do repeated mistakes over and over against even against someone that is clearly not very good. Some instances I notice you keep trying to dsmash him and he repeatedly just jumps over them and hits you. Hmm I wonder what attack you could use instead...
I was saying for that video, and whatever you say lol you didn't show off how "good" F-tilt is and you certainly didn't show much skill with Link

Link isn't a flashy character, he's not meant to look "impressive", and I beat the guy that won the Framingham P:M tournament, multiple times, ask hotdogturtle, he'll tell you I was there.

Point out my mistakes, half the time I'm messing around, trying to find out new things, did you know you can downsmash and side-smash while holding a bomb? Bet you didn't, fact is you're pointing out my flaws as a Link main, when you clearly make far more. And downsmash is good for spacing, I've tried using side-tilt and his fox will SHFFL Nair me before the attack even gets out, it's WAY too slow to deal with characters that have any kind of speed

I find Ftilt to be a very useful tool and perfect as is. It's useful for spacing/edgeguarding(it's REALLY useful for edgeguarding) and is a viable mix-up in several situations. Link has great tools for dealing with pressure in his nair/jab and is very good at keeping people out at medium range in general.
Awesome, can you please show me some videos and point out exactly where f-tilt is used well? I would love to use the move and have it work but so far it's only gotten me a free hit, mind you I play a Fox main and that *******'s too fast for any moves that have a lot of start-up time

You shouldn't be so fast to say others would be stupid for thinking something if you think 90% of his moveset is easily punished. Almost every character is easily punished if you are whiffing moves, links boomerang alone makes him incredibly hard to punish and gives him amazing defensive and offensive approach options.
Oh I know Link is hard to punish with his projectiles, I'm talking about up close, any non-special moves of his besides his jab have enough start-up time for a FOx to run circles around you

Or you know..OoS nair/jab/usmash/roll/returningrang etc etc. You think you are the best link based off what? I mean, I personally think I have put more time into link and discovered more things with him than anyone but I don't run around saying I'm the best link because I don't have anyone to compare it to and watching videos doesn't really tell you how good someone is unless they are playing someone you've played before.
I use those too, not jab though, I didn't know you can JC OOS into a jab, never seen someone do it, and based off the videos people have provided for me to see. BTW you're good, but those bomb tricks seem just for fun no offense, no real practicality, I'd love to play another Link main, but not many people play him.

You are the only Link main? Get out of here man LOL. Have you ever thought of attributing your losses to yourself and not your character? Link has plenty of tools to deal with pretty much every character in the game(I say this from experience not theory-crafting). While he isn't the best of the best he's very viable in pretty much every match-up. He has absurd combo ability, one of the best recoveries in the game(if you argue this you aren't using correct recovery options and you probably aren't even aware of his recovery options lol) amazing gimping ability, amazing survivability, amazing keepaway game. Link is just all around a very good character as he currently is and there isn't much reason to buff anything about him. The way you are describing what he needs makes me think you don't use all of his options effectively.

I play both Melee/Brawl at a pretty high level, am very technical, and I play P:M with good melee/brawl players all the time I'm saying these things out of experience and practice with the character not theory-crafting.

Here is a random game of me playing if you are interested: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PMxjnmIb2ZQ
And here is some of the tech's I'm talking about that other links don't use: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=23wohXeAz-A
Exaggerating obviously, but there's not many of us. I don't lose really so I can't account losses I haven't had, I lost twice to the guy who won the P:M tourny in Framingham, but we were both on 1 stock both times, and I beat him 3 times, one loss was determined by who reach the death boundary first, unfortunately his C. Falcon got the star KO so it took more time for him to die :/

Link is not bad, I'm not saying that, I'm saying he's not up there with Fox, Falco and Zelda, I still feel like he's mid-tier in P:M, like he's in the same spot he was in Melee, because everyone else also got so much better.

He does have a ridiculous recovery, I usually AGT up and then Bomb Jump now to assure my distance back to the stage, unfortunately I was still trying it out and fast falled in my last video which I'm gonna post in a bit

Watch my videos and tell me what you think I don't use effectively(besides f-tilt), I'd love some real criticism instead of people just ******* assuming I'm playing him wrong.

Watched you're video, it's awesome, tbh you're the only other good Link I've ever seen for P:M, subscribed just for that

My latest Link video, like I said, screwed up majorly and fastfalled on the 2nd bomb pull-out cause I was still trying this technique out:

(Vs Fox)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g9r4LU43ffY&list=PL54DD4B4BF0D008A3&index=29&feature=plpp_video

Kink-Link5

Smash Hero
You could not catch a recently dropped item in Brawl with Z-catching either. I don't know how long it takes before you can, but it's there to prevent rapid drops and recatches that could occur if you just mashed Z.

I don't know about catching with A in Brawl. That's one of those goofy Brawl inputs that I don't look too much into.

Onomanic

Heaven Piercer
Can't you just press A to instant catch something as well? And why won't Z catch an item you dropped recently o.O IIRC it did in brawl.
Because Melee. If they kept A catch, you'd be able to aerial and zdropp->grab your bomb at the same time.

EDIT: To clarify, you can catch items with A in Brawl. It was very, very easy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom