• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Project M Social Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

GHNeko

Sega Stockholm Syndrome.
NNID
GHNeko
Although... sometimes, it is difficult to determine whether or not a simple answer is a reliable one, particularly when the source is biased towards an aspect of the subject in question. (Neko loves Diddy + Falco action :awesome:)
It's a good thing I said don't quote me because I didn't know why they made that change, and I'm just voicing opinions for the sake of conversation and keeping this thread from becoming a cesspool of off-topic nonsense. :V

that being said.

Diddy with 2 nanners is still dumb.

And yeah, Falco is dumb as well, which is why I agree with his melee pal changes lol.

Just because falco is dumb, doesnt mean other character should be as dumb, in order to be really good. V:

Pretty much, all the top tiers are really good cuz they're pretty dumb.

High tiers are just really good lol.

Cubelarooso

Smash Lord
Oh yeah, the implication of it not being the case that Diddy "required very little work": that he he might get large changes. Meaning I shall post my suggested changes.

[collapse=Suggested Changes]I always wanted Rocketbarrel and Popguns to actually work like DK64.

Diddy pulls out both popguns. Peanuts travel at same speed as slightly-charged vBrawl, but in a straight line, dealing vB damage and knockback, fully charged Power Beam's max range, and with vB's endlag (or maybe a bit shorter). Endlag is interruptible at any time by firing a second peanut. If fired during second half of endlag, it comes from the same gun, and acts just as the initial shot. If fired during first half of endlag, it comes from the opposite gun, and the subsequent endlag can only be interrupted during the second half.
Can sorta be imagined as somewhat like a cross between a Blaster and Chef.

Rocketbarrels behave even more canonically. It appears on Diddy's back, spewing firey puffs, and Diddy continues facing his initial direction. He retains the same horizontal air mobility, stays stationary (relatively, kinda bobs up and down) when control stick is neutral, down makes him descend at half normal fallspeed, and up makes him ascend at fallspeed. Pressing B during this time allows him to use Popguns, completely as normal, but with added benefit of movement. After a second or two, the jetpack disappears, and he goes into specialfall.

All specific stats given were just pulled out of my ***.

Also, Guitar Gazump as Dsmash. Could replace edible peanut model with guitar model, and use it in animation, right? Or even just a taunt or win animation.
And like, Chimpy Charge for Fsmash and (massively toned down) Simian Spring for Usmash, maybe? You said his smashes weren't good…

I've mentioned a cargo throw a few times, I believe, and it seems more possible than ever with Snake's new mechanic. So, just throwing (:awesome:) it out again.

And a sex kick.[/collapse]

MonkUnit

Project M Back Roomer
@ whoever suggested making diddy's upB work like ROB's vBrawl rocket thrusters, i dont think thats possible to code lol.

Cube, that popgun idea sounds a bit overcomplicated. why not just make it fire in a straighter line and only use the one gun he has in brawl

i do like your upB idea of facing towards a direction while charging and stuff. however, if you were to have him face a direction while charging and rotate to the other direction, he would be bending awkwardly. or you'd have to make it so he can rotate in the Z axis to face the other way

sex kick bair sounds kinda silly, same with cargo throws. he doesn't need cargo throws when he already has a special grab; monkey flip

Cubelarooso

Smash Lord
Yeah, it looks complicated on paper, but that's just 'cus there's a lot of details. It shouldn't be in practice, though. Basically, it's just a combination of Fox/Falco's abilities to fire multiple lasers faster if they're shot consecutively (since they don't put their gun away), and G&W's ability to fling up to five bacons in a short time before needing to stop (except with only two peanuts). And without LC, those abilities would be less overshadowed.
And he definitely needs two guns. Why would anyone ever give a monkey only one gun?

I didn't mean while charging (in fact, I meant no charging), I meant Rocketbarrel as completely revamped, becoming a "free movement" Up-B, like Robo Burner or Wings of Icarus, but funtioning much more traditionally. And, like traditional recoveries, I didn't mean for it to be able to turn around.

Cargo throw functions completely differently from Monkey Flip, their niches would in no way overlap. It would allow him to position the enemy better, which should mesh well with the banana's stage control.

I actually meant sex kick for nair, and half as a joke.

9Kplus1

Smash Master
Canon Diddy is illogical. It's, simply put, very difficult, if not impossible for Diddy to carry any object exceeding twice his own weight. This limits him to Marth, and any character lighter -- Marth, because we all know that his tiara is inspiration for his sudden weight loss (it's also the reason behind why Marth's sword is shorter in that spin-off of Melee) -- which is not good at all for a character so close to real life physics. Still referring to canon-flavor, Kirby can carry DeDeDe. Logically, Kirby must receive a cargo throw as well, correct? Technically, Kirby *can* carry and toss around the entire cast.

`dazrin

Smash Champion
Toon Link so far
-new fsmash, about time a link got his trade mark Jump attack
-kept vbrawl bair, that **** was too good
-bombs are in tact
-n64 links dash attack, if it has the ridiculous long lasting hitbox even better
-hurricane spin up B on the ground

Dislikes
-Up-B(air) in its current state, looks retarted powerful, and makes tl sink like a rock in air
-ylink fire arrows, i think TL vbrawl floaty arrows had more uses.
-dair looks stupid, aestetic problem only, lol
-sex kick, i know it was a stable of ylink, but TL's nair was pretty decent. Eh w/e everyone has a sex kick.
I know this was posted like in november, but I'm reading the thread (started back to sept. and reading forward until current date- right now I'm on page 3184 ) because it's interesting to see the suggestions/ ideas people contribute and you guys have funny/ entertaining discussions to read ^_^

Anyways:
As a YL main in melee, I feel I have to give my opinion and say a few things about current Tink.

I'm sure TL players are probably emotionally attached to the brawl nair.... what do YL players feel about this? Do they care if TL doesn't have a sex kick?
-First of all, thanks for giving him Ylinks nair. the sex kick was a major asset to the YL playstyle, and I very much do care if Tink has a sex kick, as y.link did and it was one of his best moves. Not to say that Toonlink's nair was bad, just y.links was better for his edgeguarding capabilities, since he didn't have very many kill moves. They also stringed together very well between projectiles, so it was a good move to give Tink the sexkick back.
-Thanks for making his fsmash not suck! Y.link's Fsmash was horrid, and toonlinks was better, but.. still not as good as what you guys have now :p
-Thanks for keeping vbrawl tink's fair and bair! they do the same things YL fair/bair did, but better.
-Thanks for removing the stall->fall mechanic that vbrawl tink had on his dair- it was dumb
-Thanks for giving tink:m y.link's dsmash back! it was a great tool against fast fallers
-Thanks for giving tink his fire aarows back! However, I think vbrawl tink's ability to short-hop double aarow was a great asset to him- however, because of the increased gravity from melee, it suppose it would be weird to do since you fall much faster. either way, i like the new aarows, thanks for everything again!

Question 1)
Do bombs hit the target multiple times? (Similar to Y.link's bombs as opposed to link's bomb where they only hit the target once) The hitstun from YL's bombs in melee were arguably the most significant part of his arsenal. Y.link's core playstyle was to throw a bomb and get a free hit/aerial while they were stunned. Y.link was (most popularly) played in a way that you would kite your opponent into your 'armada' of projectiles and follow up immediately with your aerials to rack up fast damage, while keeping your opponent at bay. They were also great edgeguarding tools (especially against fastfallers) and helped y.link from being edgeguarded as he could throw a bomb while recovering or throw a bomb from the ledge to get back on the stage safely.

Question 2)
How far up does Tlinks new UP-b go exactly? Is it the same piss-poor distance as Link64? Is it shorter than y.links up-b? One of y.link/ toonlinks biggest defining characteristics was that he had more mobility than his older counterpart. Meaning that he runs faster, jumps higher and recovers better at the cost of power and range. Y.link's up-b wasn't the greatest recovery in melee, but was quite the improvement compared to Link's up-b (not including bomb-jumps or tether recovery). Vbrawl toonlink's recovery was waaay too good and was easily telegraphed, so I agree that it had to go, but perhaps keep the same properties as the up-b you have now and buff it so it goes the same distance as ylink's up-b? (If it doesn't already, that is- I can't really tell from the few times I saw it on stream hehe :p)
Edit: Just had a thought- Ylink was a character in melee who relied heavily on his edge guarding skills in order to get kills since he had a lack of kill moves. That being said, how does it make sense for a character with great edge guarding capability to not have a decent/good recovery? Doesn't really make sense. Although, you could argue that Tink has plenty more options in terms of kill moves than Yink did. And that Projectiles could keep him from needing to actually doing any big off-stage edgeguarding. But just something to think about.
~ On a sidenote, one significant difference between Link and Y.link in melee was that y.link wasn't able to bombjump his up-b. This is partly due to the fact that y.link's bombs have a much longer hitstun which really contributed to the inability for y.link to be able to bomb-jump, since he would be gimping himself even more as opposed to how Link's bombs have one large impact with decent knockback that they would pop you up and propel you towards the stage on top of giving a second up-b, which benefited his recovery options. So my suggestion is that you keep bomb-jumping exclusive to Link, give Tink younglink-style hitstun on his bombs (if he hasn't got it already) and buff the distance you can travel with Tink's up-b since bomb-jumping would be ineffective.

Overall, I love the direction you guys in the PMBR have been pushing Tink so far! I'm very glad that you decided to give Tink some of the core elements that made ylink who he is, while keeping the flavour of vBrawl toonlink and mixing in some Link64. This character design in itself really captures a lot of creativity on the PMBRs part and I hope that I can dive into Project:M spamming projectiles and wrecking peaches and jigglypuffs everywhere like I did in melee :p Not to say that relying on the projectiles is his only way of being played! Because it certainly isn't!

Also, switching gears to Olimar's UP-B... Not sure if you guys have come up with a solution already, (footstooling a pikmin?) but I have a suggestion. Is it possible to make it so that the up-b is not dependent on how many pikmin Olimar has out at the specific time? And instead just always bring out his max range 6 pikmin tether? For example: Olimar has no pikmin following him and he falls off the edge. Instead of up-bing in vain and falling to his death, he pulls out a 6pikmin tether recovery and grabs the ledge, and once he's back on the stage, the pikmin from his up-b are gone.

Sorry for the extremely long post ^_^" I guess I've built up alot to say while lurking this thread for quite some time now! :p

edit: and also sorry for not being on the topic of diddy ><"

edit2: OH. I just had a thought for Diddy. Is it possible to make Diddy to pull out his bananas similarly to how link/tink/peach pull out their bombs/turnips? I feel that Diddy has a severe lack of immediate control of his bananas because they aren't in his hands the minute he pulls them out, and many times it ends up working against Diddy since his opponent can grab them easily and use diddy's bananas against him. If this were possible, I think diddy would have much more control over his projectiles and become less of a hindrance towards himself, as it often this is often the case. Also, is it possible for diddy to run around and shorthop-peanutpopgun people? kinda like SHLasering with falco? I think this would improve diddy's approach game significantly if this were to happen. Also, the peanuts should fly in the air just a taaad faster :] Just my suggestions regarding Diddy!

Jiangjunizzy

Smash Lord
1) bombs do hit multiple times.

2) i'd say tlink's new upB goes about 3/4ths the distance of falco's upB. it's quite a big nerf to young link's recovery, but the reason this was done was because the move is now a finishing attack similar to smash64 link's upB. one of the coolest things about smash64 link were his devastating strings that often ended in a well positioned upB. we wanted to try to bring that back for tlink, and it works pretty well.

and I'm pretty sure tlink can bomb jump now. :)

`dazrin

Smash Champion
1) bombs do hit multiple times.

2) i'd say tlink's new upB goes about 3/4ths the distance of falco's upB. it's quite a big nerf to young link's recovery, but the reason this was done was because the move is now a finishing attack similar to smash64 link's upB. one of the coolest things about smash64 link were his devastating strings that often ended in a well positioned upB. we wanted to try to bring that back for tlink, and it works pretty well.

and I'm pretty sure tlink can bomb jump now. :)
1) Thank god

2) Honestly, I'd rather have a decent recovery rather than an up-b kill move.. Tink's fair, dsmash, fsmash, dair, uair, all have great killing potential already, not to mention that nair and bair can also kill at higher percentages and can edgeguard people quite effectively. Iono, in my opinion, the killing potential with the up-b isn't needed at all, and he needs that recovery. Otherwise, why not just play Link? Now he's got better range, power and recovery.. :/

and I don't think a bomb-jump on tink would be as effective as Link, since:
a) bomb hitstun to self is greater, making the bomb jump not as effective
b) 12% on a character that is already light and easy to kill is not a good idea
c) diminishes the unique attributes that Tink is supposed to have over Link

`dazrin

Smash Champion
Also, switching gears to Olimar's UP-B... Not sure if you guys have come up with a solution already, (footstooling a pikmin?) but I have a suggestion. Is it possible to make it so that the up-b is not dependent on how many pikmin Olimar has out at the specific time? And instead just always bring out his max range 6 pikmin tether? For example: Olimar has no pikmin following him and he falls off the edge. Instead of up-bing in vain and falling to his death, he pulls out a 6pikmin tether recovery and grabs the ledge, and once he's back on the stage, the pikmin from his up-b are gone.

edit2: OH. I just had a thought for Diddy. Is it possible to make Diddy to pull out his bananas similarly to how link/tink/peach pull out their bombs/turnips? I feel that Diddy has a severe lack of immediate control of his bananas because they aren't in his hands the minute he pulls them out, and many times it ends up working against Diddy since his opponent can grab them easily and use diddy's bananas against him. If this were possible, I think diddy would have much more control over his projectiles and become less of a hindrance towards himself, as it often this is often the case. Also, is it possible for diddy to run around and shorthop-peanutpopgun people? kinda like SHLasering with falco? I think this would improve diddy's approach game significantly if this were to happen. Also, the peanuts should fly in the air just a taaad faster :] Just my suggestions regarding Diddy!
Just in case no one saw this from my huge TL;DR wall of text :p

Cubelarooso

Smash Lord
Let's make Falco take 50% from each laser he fires, since it's better than having to deal with Falco's lasers.

the reason this was done was because the move is now a finishing attack similar to smash64 link's upB.
That's not a complete reason. I'm left to assume that the rest would be, "and having such a powerful move go so far would be unbalanced," in which case, couldn't you extend it to Melee height, but make it weaker after passing 64 height? But I don't know if that's truly the reason…

Canon Diddy is illogical. It's, simply put, very difficult, if not impossible for Diddy to carry any object exceeding twice his own weight. This limits him to Marth, and any character lighter -- Marth, because we all know that his tiara is inspiration for his sudden weight loss (it's also the reason behind why Marth's sword is shorter in that spin-off of Melee) -- which is not good at all for a character so close to real life physics. Still referring to canon-flavor, Kirby can carry DeDeDe. Logically, Kirby must receive a cargo throw as well, correct? Technically, Kirby *can* carry and toss around the entire cast.

vBrawl Diddy has a weight of 93, while Bowser has weight of 120, far less than twice his weight. And a Tiny DK is just as capable of cargoing a Giant DK as vice versa.
Real life physics? The character with a wooden gun, bullets, and jetpack? The monkey intelligent enough to use hat?
Reality doesn't matter at all. What matters is verisimilitude, and Diddy cargoing characters seems just as realistic as him cargoing barrels in his games (some of which are metal, contain a full grown gorilla, or are filled with TNT that is 1.654× the density of water). That is, it's realistic enough to not break WSoD. Heck, that's nothing compared to Dixie's prehensile hair. The Kongs clearly just have some Ancient Monkey Art of Carrying.
And I don't get really get where you're going with Kirby, especially since you seemed to contradict your own argument at the end.

Shadic

Alakadoof?
NNID
Shadoof
Otherwise, why not just play Link? Now he's got better range, power and recovery.. :/
Toon Link has a lot of aspects that make him better than Link in various aspects. Other than his bow, his projectiles are better than Link's, he's faster, less-laggy, combos better, can combo into killing moves smoother than Link can, and he's generally more "vicious" feeling.. He's like the Falco version of Link - Kills quickly and dies quickly. :awesome:

humble

Smash Ace
What would you guys prefer, Diddy with one nanner, but he pulls it out like Snake, Peach, Link, etc, or, Diddy with two nanners but the slow pull out toss?

:phone:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom