• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Project M Social Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

metroid1117

Smash Master
Actually a lot of the P:M team were also part of Brawl plus. It's not like they randomly said "Well I haven't played Brawl for more than 30 minutes, but let's change it anyway!" I'm pretty sure they, or at least those on board since the beginning, know vBrawl quite well. Heck, JCaesar's YT channel said "Brawl plus videos" until a few months ago. TH was also a Brawl player unless I'm mistaken.

:phone:
If I recall correctly, I thought TH said in the Brawl+ "death thread" that he disliked both Brawl and Melee but found Brawl+ to be a likable intermediate between the two... I could be wrong though.

But that's entirely true, I almost forgot about the Brawl+ players. Even so, I was thinking more along the lines of top-player status like Kage and Hungrybox (I saw him asking for the closed alpha, I don't know if he was accepted as a tester though). Forgive me if I'm mistaken, but I don't think there are any Brawl players with equivalent statuses to Kage (granted, I know that a player with Kage's status and willingness to help out is like a needle in a haystack). I remember watching videos of M2K, SS, Hungrybox, and Kage trying out P:M at some big tournament, and while I know the goal of this project is to make a Melee 2.0, this is an excellent opportunity to invite (v)Brawl players into the scene as well, regardless with their familiarity of Melee tech skill.

GP&B

Ike 'n' Ike
NNID
MetalDude
The stock thing is particularly annoying when watching videos of imperfect quality, or when playing without my glasses.
Is it possible to make any or all of the portrait transparent? Wasn't Gamedominator06 working on something like that? I also believe he made some custom stock icons.

Personally, I'd like it if the portraits were just replaced with those tiny little heads, to both free up the view and as an allusion to when they were used as stocks.

@Shadic ↓
Among the handful of things Brawl did amazingly well, that's definitely one of them. Buut… It could have just been applied to the classic HUD :/
I had been a while ago, but I couldn't figure a few things out. I did in fact make more noticeable stock icons though. However, I will tell you that the guy who worked on the Melee SFX import also made the in-match HUD like Melee's.

Except for the stock icons, smashbros29. You cannot make them use individual heads. You'd have to write a huge code for it (if it's not hardcoded in the first place) and also allocate memory to the individual icons which will most likely just crash the game.

Revven

FrankerZ
If I recall correctly, I thought TH said in the Brawl+ "death thread" that he disliked both Brawl and Melee but found Brawl+ to be a likable intermediate between the two... I could be wrong though.

But that's entirely true, I almost forgot about the Brawl+ players. Even so, I was thinking more along the lines of top-player status like Kage and Hungrybox (I saw him asking for the closed alpha, I don't know if he was accepted as a tester though). Forgive me if I'm mistaken, but I don't think there are any Brawl players with equivalent statuses to Kage (granted, I know that a player with Kage's status and willingness to help out is like a needle in a haystack). I remember watching videos of M2K, SS, Hungrybox, and Kage trying out P:M at some big tournament, and while I know the goal of this project is to make a Melee 2.0, this is an excellent opportunity to invite (v)Brawl players into the scene as well, regardless with their familiarity of Melee tech skill.
I would hate to disappoint you but the sad truth is that there haven't been any high level vBrawl players that have tried to apply since we started accepting applications again. The only high level vBrawl player I believe we had was RedHalberd and he was definitely quite helpful. However, he wasn't all vBrawl either, he was actually trying to get back into Melee which led to his eventual quitting of vBrawl.

Let's be honest though, most high level vBrawl players either hate Project M because of what was changed for their main(s) or they're not interested at all because they're perfectly happy with vBrawl and hate mods in general (because they either win money or place high and had fun). That's why there haven't been any high level vBrawl players in videos unless the videos were taken from a tournament where some of them are and they happen to want to try it.

Also, we don't really invite people into the BR, it's an application process. People attempt to join of their own free will, we don't really seek out certain people as chances are they're not interested. Otherwise, if they were, they would have tried applying by now (which they haven't).

I hope that answers your question.

Vigilante

Smash Lord
So I went to otakthon and played some Melee. I ended up winning every match and being annoyed that the poeple there always wanted to play free for all and went to do more amusing things.

The funny part however was my friend, Player 2, going to the Brawl side and picking a total n00b who never played any smash bros in his entire life (A guy we met at the beginning of the con) and making him play Brawl. There he said: "Okay, just pick Metaknight, the bat thing. Then during the match, just do what I tell you to do and you'll win"

Then he proceeded to sing Voodoo's song with incredible glee.

Result: The guy won every match.

I'm resting up and ig I'm doing all right, I'll see if I can get Player 2 to play with me THursday or Friday.

Supreme Dirt

King of the Railway
I'm a Brawl player who prefers Brawl, and I've applied several times.

Though I'm definitely not a high-level player...
yet

Has Dedede been on any recent streams? I'm quite curious as to what's going on with him.

Also seconding the whole Peach Bomber needing its heart over the explosion.

MechaWave

Smash Champion
I'd like to see Dedede as well if he's far enough in development to be shown.

Also I'd actually like to see Peach's hearts but the effect on the character is actually an explosion/fiery (as if the hearts were covering the explosion). It's perfect! ^_^

JediKnightTemplar

Smash Lord
the funny part however was my friend, player 2, going to the brawl side and picking a total n00b who never played any smash bros in his entire life (a guy we met at the beginning of the con) and making him play brawl. There he said: "okay, just pick metaknight, the bat thing. Then during the match, just do what i tell you to do and you'll win"

then he proceeded to sing voodoo's song with incredible glee.

Result: The guy won every match.
Hooray for character balance.

OverLade

Smash Hero
I would hate to disappoint you but the sad truth is that there haven't been any high level vBrawl players that have tried to apply since we started accepting applications again. The only high level vBrawl player I believe we had was RedHalberd and he was definitely quite helpful. However, he wasn't all vBrawl either, he was actually trying to get back into Melee which led to his eventual quitting of vBrawl.

Let's be honest though, most high level vBrawl players either hate Project M because of what was changed for their main(s) or they're not interested at all because they're perfectly happy with vBrawl and hate mods in general (because they either win money or place high and had fun). That's why there haven't been any high level vBrawl players in videos unless the videos were taken from a tournament where some of them are and they happen to want to try it.

Also, we don't really invite people into the BR, it's an application process. People attempt to join of their own free will, we don't really seek out certain people as chances are they're not interested. Otherwise, if they were, they would have tried applying by now (which they haven't).

Just to clear this up, I definitely still play Vbrawl, am still ranked 2nd in Florida, and also still play Melee (I got 2nd in doubles at Gameclucks and 9th or so in singles).

If I still had Melee players in my area I'd be happy to rejoin and help out with Project M, but my main training partner moved away to where I can't see him regularly. My main focus would be balance and it's hard to analyze that kind of things when I can't see how Melee players react/DI/SDI.

metroid1117

Smash Master

That certainly does, thanks a lot for the long and thought-out response. I guess I thought the Brawl community would be more accepting of P:M considering that some influential players were Melee veterans (M2K, lain, AlphaZealot, etc.), but it doesn't look that way. Again, thanks a lot for your response!

Vigilante

Smash Lord
Well, if one is going to convince Brawl players to give M a chance, it's better not to present it as a mod made to spite Brawl like some do. I personally hate brawl, but I try not to hate on the players. If poeple can like stuff like Twilight or Naruto, I got to accept that there are poeple who can like things I don't for reasons I can't quite comprehend. If they don't bother you about it, leave them alone. If you want them to play the game, speak to them with a smile, tell them about it with enthusiasm, but don't berate them for liking something else. They'll get defensive and they will be even less likely to want to touch this mod.

Stevo

Smash Champion
when Project M and smash 4 are out, everyone will abandon ship in brawl anyway. ( I'll kill myself if Project M takes that long to come out tho XD)

and since Nintendo will probably not balance it for competetive play, lots of brawl players who played brawl primarily cause it was newer and has more characters and such will probably just play Project M in the end. Lots of competetive players probably will as well, and most likely lots of melee players too.

There will always be the people that refuse to leave a game they know and love, but I highly doubt people will keep playing brawl at that point. Smash 4 will be Brawl 2.0 anyway.

Ecks

Smash Lord
I expect smash 4 to be better than Brawl. Even if it plays exactly like Brawl, it'll be "better" due to more characters and stages. I can see a lot of people sticking with Brawl due to hacks though.

When you think about it, Brawl isn't bad. It allows you to easily hack your console and itself to a ridiculous extent. Also, Project M. :awesome:

Sir Combee

Smash Apprentice
I'm still in denial whenever I play Project M that I am using a Brawl disc. Thankfully, it's now just a bland pallet on which glorious Melee physics can be built upon

Comeback Kid

Smash Champion
I haven't tried this out yet but it looks great, love Melee and this looks like a worthy successor.

I love the indy pokes, especially Charizard's redesign nice job guys! Just wish there was a way to also have Red auto-rotate the pokes after losing a stock and let you choose your rotation at the character select screen ie costume color = poke rotation order. Maybe one day when the codes are cracked?

When the patch comes out what will I need to play beyond an sd card and a wii with the brawl disk?

For us casuals looking for a fun new smash game and not into the hacking community, a step-by-step guide would be super-useful. :reverse:

PurDi

Smash Journeyman
For us casuals looking for a fun new smash game and not into the hacking community, a step-by-step guide would be super-useful. :reverse:
It's SOOOO easy to install a brawl mod if you've already got homebrew. That's the 'tough' part. It takes a little tinkering but once that's done, it's literally just drag and drop.

I wanna see some squirtle videos :D I know he's been on streams and everything but I can't watch them because of work... I wanna see that new down-b

MonkUnit

Project M Back Roomer
Hasn't someone already made a how to guide on how to set up your hack stuff? IE: How to use Gecko OS or w/e loader you're using, how to put the stuff on your sd card, etc.

Could've sworn someone did something like this before.

CloroxTheKid

Smash Rookie
Will the Super Armor Aesthetic Effect of the red flashes of Bowser be universal to all characters that have the same Super Armor on their moves?

PurDi

Smash Journeyman
A baby seal dies every time someone asks for a specific release date.
Idk... (I LOVE YOU PM TEAM) but I kinda want at least a broad window of when it will be release or when the patch will... Like 'this year' or within 5 months. Something reasonable but at least something to look forward to. I realize stuff is constantly changing, but without some kind of news coming out, I'm not sure that I will EVER be able to play...

rjgbadger

Banned via Warnings
So I've seen a few videos of Luigi, as well as the streams, and I can't really see anything new besides the insane height gained by the Tornado. Other than that is he just melee Luigi? Or has he just gotten priority/disjoint changes?

Shadic

Alakadoof?
NNID
Shadoof
Idk... (I LOVE YOU PM TEAM) but I kinda want at least a broad window of when it will be release or when the patch will... Like 'this year' or within 5 months. Something reasonable but at least something to look forward to. I realize stuff is constantly changing, but without some kind of news coming out, I'm not sure that I will EVER be able to play...
Before Smash 4. :awesome:

As far as small changes go, I just made Falcon's classic "Show me your moves" taunt on UTaunt instead of Dtaunt, (where it was placed for some reason) and the "Yesszz" with fire is mapped on Dtaunt now.

Funny how tiny things like that can make a difference. No idea why Brawl mapped taunts so terribly.

Ecks

Smash Lord
^ As trivial as it sounds, I see what you mean. lol

Anyway, will DDD have super armor too? He kinda needs it on stuff like fsmash.

ClinkStryphart

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ClinkStryphart
3DS FC
1891-1406-8889
Super Armor would be nice for DDD. A question for the devs on DDD have you guys ever thought about giving DDD his quake hammer from I think it was one of the old B+ files that had it to where his Fsmash would stop people in their tracks? I don't quite remember and not sure if he needs it now or whatever his current build is due to I have missed streams due to working 3 jobs :(

FireBall Stars

Smash Ace
Played and recorded some pm matches today with some friends while one of them didn't appeared with the ps3 and marvel 3.

There are about 9 matches recorded with a somewhat terrible audio quality, but enjoyable anyway. I'll be uploading in a slow pace tho :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom