• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Project M Social Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

metroid1117

Smash Master
So I've seen a few videos of Luigi, as well as the streams, and I can't really see anything new besides the insane height gained by the Tornado. Other than that is he just melee Luigi? Or has he just gotten priority/disjoint changes?
The last time I asked about Luigi on a stream (this was months ago, so it could be wrong), they made Luigi's Tornado consistent in giving extra height (in Melee, it only worked every other time) and set misfire's to a constant interval. Other than that, I couldn't really notice anything else.

Beorn4200

Smash Apprentice
So I've seen a few videos of Luigi, as well as the streams, and I can't really see anything new besides the insane height gained by the Tornado. Other than that is he just melee Luigi? Or has he just gotten priority/disjoint changes?
Yeh, I've been thinking the same ... It kinda makes me sad that some characters are getting new unique tactics and awsome stuff like zelda, gannon, mario and some characters are staying nearly the exact same tactics and playstyle wise... like luigi, link, diddy. Been playing these characters for years... Would be neat to have something new and interesting.

ClinkStryphart

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ClinkStryphart
3DS FC
1891-1406-8889
Seriously though Why does DDD have to have Super Armor? Isn't that the Waddledee's job?
I can only guess to it being for his size. But then again I haven't really seen any changes done to him in a while. I can only speculate from streams/recorded vids. until the actual version comes out but I don't see why he wouldn't or couldn't have it. If it helps him then it would be cool. I think it could compensate if he no longer has his Vbrawl CG. Again this is just my opinion. I do trust the devs though on what to do with the character.

rjgbadger

Banned via Warnings
Yeh, I've been thinking the same ... It kinda makes me sad that some characters are getting new unique tactics and awsome stuff like zelda, gannon, mario and some characters are staying nearly the exact same tactics and playstyle wise... like luigi, link, diddy. Been playing these characters for years... Would be neat to have something new and interesting.
Luigi doesn't really need any new moves or techs, all I ask for is some more priority or disjoint on ftilt, dtilt, bair, and maybe turn dtilt into a good idea

Stevo

Smash Champion
because ledge occupancy is nerfed in Project M, characters like luigi should now at least take a little more effort to gimp. Grab the ledge and roll up doesnt **** luigi's up b as much. Especially if his down-b is better for recovery too.

Luigi isn't that bad in melee, his recovery was simply really bad (among a few other issues). Hope for a missfire is not a good recovery option

his up-b could probably use a bit more kill power, as it is tough to do and doesn't reward you quite enough in melee for landing it. I think his forward smash kept it's brawl strength (judging from videos)

I'm still against the current decision for how missfires currently work (unless it was changed again), but it's not a huge deal. There is some random in the game already, and random actually fits Luigi's quirky style quite well I think. but thats another topic I guess.

Giygacoal

Smash Lord
A new dash attack would be nice. That animation annoys me because it looks like he stays in the same place for a while.

Octorox

Smash Apprentice
Writing Team
A new dash attack would be nice. That animation annoys me because it looks like he stays in the same place for a while.
I've always loved how Luigi's dash attack fit his personality. If he were to get a new one I'd hope it would have some quirky element to it, maybe his victory screen pose where he flops on his belly?

Octorox

Smash Apprentice
Writing Team
because ledge occupancy is nerfed in Project M, characters like luigi should now at least take a little more effort to gimp. Grab the ledge and roll up doesnt **** luigi's up b as much. Especially if his down-b is better for recovery too.

Luigi isn't that bad in melee, his recovery was simply really bad (among a few other issues). Hope for a missfire is not a good recovery option

his up-b could probably use a bit more kill power, as it is tough to do and doesn't reward you quite enough in melee for landing it. I think his forward smash kept it's brawl strength (judging from videos)

I'm still against the current decision for how missfires currently work (unless it was changed again), but it's not a huge deal. There is some random in the game already, and random actually fits Luigi's quirky style quite well I think. but thats another topic I guess.
how do misfires currently work?

iLink

Smash Champion
Super armor on D3 seems weird. If anything maybe in dash attack.

Also Im wondering how zss' downb works now. It looked like it gave her some weird aerial momentum and the animation was changed (</3)

:phone:

Vaerix

Smash Journeyman
@Octorox: Either the same as vBrawl (1/8 chances?), or the new-ish mechanic of definitely misfiring after a set number of uses.

@iLink: From what I've seen, it's the same flip, and then her vBrawl down air if you hit the button again. If i remember right her new down air is the kick from her vBrawl down B.

iLink

Smash Champion
I think they recently changed it. I was seeing something that looked like suited samus double jump and not the flip. Pretty sure i saw them doing fair out of it too.

Vaerix

Smash Journeyman
You sure that wasn't a footstool to fair? 'cause she can footstool out of her flip, and her animation for that is a spinny jump.

iLink

Smash Champion
Pretty sure. Saw it like a day or two ago in yagi's stream. I could be wrong about the fair thing but Im pretty sure downb was changed

Archangel

Smash Hero
NNID
combat22386
luigi is fine
^ This

I Played Luigi alot when I last tested this out and he's like a god in terms of how much better he is. Not broken....Imagine if fox didn't have a shine in Melee and then suddenly in PM he had a shine. That is the kind of difference luigi's recovery makes.

Trust me even his edgeguarding options have been expanded as a result of his buffed recovery.

o-Serin-o

I think 56 nights crazy
Seen videos of Lucario.

What a stupid character you've turned him into.

He's basically safe on almost all of his moves when he's on offense. Only way to stop his offense is to guess right and make sure he doesnt have the chance to get back in your ***.

Good concept, stupid way to use it. At least make all characters able to do it, if you're going to do it.

Virum

Smash Ace
NNID
SiLeNtDo0m
3DS FC
3368-3441-2801
Seen videos of Lucario.

He's basically safe on almost all of his moves when he's on offense. Only way to stop his offense is to guess right and make sure he doesnt have the chance to get back in your ***.

Good concept, stupid way to use it. At least make all characters able to do it, if you're going to do it.
Oh joy here we go again...Yet another post about Lucario being too good from someone who hasn't even played as him yet @_@

JCaesar

Smash Hero
NNID
JCaesar
Some characters don't need new gimmicks to be good, and often the players of those characters wouldn't want to see them get a major overhaul when they only had minor problems.

Seen videos of Lucario.

Nice try, but come back once you actually know what you're talking about, because "He's basically safe on almost all of his moves when he's on offense" is incorrect. OHCs are limited because of the hierarchy in the move cancel order and come nowhere close to perfect shield pressure. That's not even to mention what crouch canceling does to him...

Beorn4200

Smash Apprentice
Some characters don't need new gimmicks to be good, and often the players of those characters wouldn't want to see them get a major overhaul when they only had minor problems.
Not that those characters need to be better. It more that.. Take zelda. Did she need the awesome new fire balls and sweet cancels to make her a better character? No, but they did make her more fun for zelda players. She could have just been melee but buffed... There are players that enjoyed melee zelda, but they aren't complaining they got something new, and interesting to sink there teeth into. Same with every other character that got major overhauls but retained there melee styles.

Just something to make old characters fresh. There's so much potential with every character. and the characters that are makeing people most exited are the ones that have awesome new styles and gimicks like bowser and lucario. I feel kinda sad that some characters will stay nearly melee, but I look at bowser and think **** YEH! I loved him in melee but all this new stuff looks beast and fun.

All this is not to say I'm wont still gonna love my melee characters. I just hate to see a missed opportunity to make a character more interesting and better rather than the same and better. If PM has shown me anything its that players make way more interesting and balanced characters than the people paid to do it. I want to play PM luigi not sakurai's luigi.

Juushichi

sugoi ~ sugoi ~
By the way, referring to top
Brawl players playing PM: at a Nope's a while ago, we were playing the demo with lain and he really liked it. Iirc, lain will play just about anything smash related if it's good. King Beef would probably play it and I think AZ would too if we brought it. But even I rarely play the demo anymore (but that's really old anyway).

Oh, when I had Tope over yesterday playing, he seemed kinda interested in it, but we just played Melee with some other dudes.

Divinokage

Smash Legend
*sigh* Sometimes I wish scrubs would stfu instead of posting random **** that they don't know what they are talking about. It just makes the game look bad. He probably doesn't even know what spacing is. lol.

Ecks

Smash Lord
To the guy complaining about Lucario. Read the last 6 or so pages of this thread. A Lucario conversation literally just ended. And Shanus explained stuff you may be interested in.

And another thing. People look stupid when they don't know what they're talking about.

The_Guide

Smash Journeyman
I'm pretty much open to whatever, regarding dedede. Just don't rehash B+.

Any design that emphasizes his grabs would be welcome.

Cubelarooso

Smash Lord
Whenever someone comes in and complains about Lucaryu, the Br always brings up how difficult he is to use and how unsafe his stuff can be and just basically how terrible he is…
You guys totally need to buff Lucaryu he's soo UP!! :cool:

In regards to Luigi, he and other characters already have very distinctive styles in Melee that almost work. I would say, getting that style to work would constitute something new and exciting, since we've never actually seen what that style can do, and now we can!
In fact, I'd extend this even to characters like Bowser and Zelda: Their changes were simply made to help their existing styles work. Heavy Armor is virtually required in order for the lumbering powerhouse model to ever stand a chance; Zelda's fireballs are just an expansion of an existing tool to make it useful, and her cancels are just to make her existing tools useable.
But, if you really want to see some more noticeable changes, propose some that you think would be good (along with justification for such thoughts).

Octorox

Smash Apprentice
Writing Team
Is Luigi's special fall animation going to remain the same? It's funny with his Up B but it just looks awkward after an air dodge.

cmart

Smash Lord
All this is not to say I'm wont still gonna love my melee characters. I just hate to see a missed opportunity to make a character more interesting and better rather than the same and better. If PM has shown me anything its that players make way more interesting and balanced characters than the people paid to do it. I want to play PM luigi not sakurai's luigi.
The problem with radically changing "almost-viable" characters is that due to the fact that you actually can use them in a tournament setting and do reasonably well, there's a lot more pro interest in keeping them the same. After all, if a player like Vist or Hugs can take high spots in tourny with their main, why would they think the character needs a redesign? And that's on top of the fact that they naturally need less work than a bottom tier like Bowser or Zelda. Due to these factors, you can expect less "crazy" changes to mid tier characters than the low tiers we've thus far revealed.

GP&B

Ike 'n' Ike
NNID
MetalDude
The problem with radically changing "almost-viable" characters is that due to the fact that you actually can use them in a tournament setting and do reasonably well, there's a lot more pro interest in keeping them the same. After all, if a player like Vist or Hugs can take high spots in tourny with their main, why would they think the character needs a redesign? And that's on top of the fact that they naturally need less work than a bottom tier like Bowser or Zelda. Due to these factors, you can expect less "crazy" changes to mid tier characters than the low tiers we've thus far revealed.
Hence why characters like Link and Mario have not needed any dramatic changes to make them significantly better.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom