• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Project M Social Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

MonkUnit

Project M Back Roomer
Awwww that's too far for me to travel to. :(

However, if any of you guys are in the upper MW region, Standardtoaster and I are going to Teh PWN Gaming in Minneapolis, Minnesota. We're bringing PM as well and most likely ST's comp. So we'll have a stream that's just as good as what we have here! Hopefully we'll see a few PM followers there. :)

metroid1117

Smash Master
This might be the wrong place to mention this, but Strong Bad and Kage, you guys went to MIST this past weekend, right? Did you bring an alpha version of P:M with you, and if so, did it receive any feedback from the players there?

Katakiri

LV 20
NNID
Katakiri
3DS FC
2492-5180-2983
For your answer, see what became of Brawl+.
You mean how it tried to Melee-ize Brawl but got WAAAAY off track & added far too edited movesets making some characters feel very clunky?

...oh wait that's Project M! <3

Bye Lucario, hello Furry Ryu. More Melee, Less Fan-fiction, guys.

I love P:M but I kinda stopped respecting the project after they completely removed Pokemon Trainer to "focus on the Pokemon separately." Lucario was one thing, but removing Red tore it for me.

Like it or not, Red is one of the 40 characters in Brawl. It's kind of like taking out Sheik because 'Zelda doesn't need her.' If Pokemon Change can be mapped to a Taunt Button like Samus, giving the Pokemon Down-B attacks are fine, but you don't take a character out of the game. When the game itself counts Red as a full character, he's a character! He may only have one move, but god damn it, he's a character.

Are we going to take Olimar out next? Just play as the Pikmin? ...cause that'd actually be kinda funny, but hell no.

Buff Zelda. But Pokemon are too broken. God I can't wait for Smash 4. This filler crap is not cutting it.

Again I love P:M, but seriously, guys, what the ****?

PeachEater74

Smash Apprentice
You mean how it tried to Melee-ize Brawl but got WAAAAY off track & added far too edited movesets making some characters feel very clunky?

I love P:M but I kinda stopped respecting the project after they completely removed Pokemon Trainer to "focus on the Pokemon separately." Lucario was one thing, but removing Red tore it for me.

Like it or not, Red is one of the 40 characters in Brawl. It's kind of like taking out Sheik because 'Zelda doesn't need her.' If Pokemon Change can be mapped to a Taunt Button like Samus, giving the Pokemon Down-B attacks are fine, but you don't take a character out of the game. When the game itself counts Red as a full character, he's a character! He may only have one move, but god damn it, he's a character.

Are we going to take Olimar out next? Just play as the Pikmin? ...cause that'd actually be kinda funny, but hell no.

Buff Zelda. But Pokemon are too broken. God I can't wait for Smash 4. This filler crap is not cutting it.

I love P:M but I hate it!

Spoon~

Smash Ace

Quit being a fanboy and use some logic, 3 in depth characters is better that one half *** character.

What are these "clunky" chatacters you speak of? The little of the alpha I played was beyond smooth and fluid, plus watching stream footage no one is "clunky" at all.

:phone:

Rikana

Smash Champion
You guys made tornado less tornado'y. I disrespect this project.

Edit: I'm gonna go play Moon Brawl - where real competitive smash lies.

Ecks

Smash Lord
What characters feel clunky? I'd say they look solid compared to brawl. Hell some look solid compared to melee and that says a lot.

CloroxTheKid

Smash Rookie
Two yes/no questions.

Has Olimar/Nana been cracked yet?
Is there ASDI?

Keep up the great work, we can all really see the hard work you guys put into this project and I, for one, am greatly appreciative of you guys!

Vigilante

Smash Lord
I won't go into details, but Olimar has been shown in streams, you might want to try and catch one. :p

Ecks

Smash Lord
It's great that someone is actually making some sort of progress on something Olimar related. :p

Looking forward to a stream.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer

when you say "the game itself" do you mean Brawl? because that game is terrible, and this is Project M, therefore anything involving Pokemon Trainer is no longer canon.
pokemon change is not able to be mapped to taunt. we tried for over a year, and we eventually had to go to individual pokemon as characters. there was a split for quite a while in the BR as to whether to split them up or keep trying to map it to taunt but when it was obvious that it wasn't possible most that were on the other side had to agree that we had to move on with their development.

the comparison to taking out sheik because zelda doesn't need her is a silly comparison. in Zelda games, zelda can actually transform into Sheik. pokemon switch out as a cool gimmick that i'm sure many are sad to miss, but there are more people out there that want to see the potential of individual pokemon in this game without a hindrance in their moveset.

pokemon trainer wasn't "broken" at all, we separated them to make them better. what's your problem?

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer

Katakiri

LV 20
NNID
Katakiri
3DS FC
2492-5180-2983
Quit being a fanboy and use some logic, 3 in depth characters is better that one half *** character.

What are these "clunky" chatacters you speak of? The little of the alpha I played was beyond smooth and fluid, plus watching stream footage no one is "clunky" at all.
3 in-depth characters? You act like Squirtle, Ivysaur, & Charizard are new. The problem is that they're 4 characters to PT. Not just 3. Even in vBrawl if I really want to use Squirtle & only Squirtle, I could do that using Baton Pass. Ivysaur, Charizard; same deal. Even without Baton Passing. Hell even the BBR recognizes combination characters on the tier list as their own character.

If you really think taking away the ability to switch Pokemon is going to help the 'character' somehow be 'deeper', take Zelda & Sheik's Transform away and replace it with whatever Street Fighter move you want to use this time. It's not like P:M's aiming to replicate Melee characters anyway, only improve them. (Hi Bowser) Surely Zelda has no need for Sheik just as Ivysaur has no need to switch-out to Charizard due to it's Fire-type weakness. She loves dying at 80%!

@Strong - Okay. So nothing is Brawl is cannon to P:M. Switching Pokemon is a gimmick. I sure don't remember Sheik EVER being in Twilight Princess. So we can get rid of that gimmick. Unless you want to just add Chun Li or Sonichu. Brawl's not important. Why not add Jelly Jiggler in P:M?

Katakiri

LV 20
NNID
Katakiri
3DS FC
2492-5180-2983
I hoped for that. Are type resistances still in? It really only affects Squirtle, but when you're the 2nd lightest character in the game, that Fire Resistance does wonders. Speaking of which, that's another issue with not being able to switch-out; you lose the ability to increase your weight and longevity by switching from the smallest, 2nd lightest character in the game to one of the largest & heaviest.

I honestly wouldn't be so annoyed by Red not being in P:M if the staff gave any indication that they even made so much as an attempt to keep him in. You've never tried to make Red's Down-B take priority over the Pokemon's Down-B? I'm pretty sure it does by default. There should be an AND gate on it actually since Red has to be present & the Pokemon has to be on the ground for the switch it take place. I'm not sure how to go about editing the Logic Gates for PT's Down-B, but I'm absolutely sure it can be done.

If you have time to completely edit, reanimate, & program Lucario. You can't tell me you don't have the time & resources to edit some Logic Gates so you can keep Red AND the Solo Pokemon with different Down-B moves.

smashbro29

Smash Champion
NNID
Smashbro29
3DS FC
2724-0750-5127
I hoped for that. Are type resistances still in? It really only affects Squirtle, but when you're the 2nd lightest character in the game, that Fire Resistance does wonders. Speaking of which, that's another issue with not being able to switch-out; you lose the ability to increase your weight and longevity by switching from the smallest, 2nd lightest character in the game to one of the largest & heaviest.

I honestly wouldn't be so annoyed by Red not being in P:M if the staff gave any indication that they even made so much as an attempt to keep him in. You've never tried to make Red's Down-B take priority over the Pokemon's Down-B? I'm pretty sure it does by default. There should be an AND gate on it actually since Red has to be present & the Pokemon has to be on the ground for the switch it take place. I'm not sure how to go about editing the Logic Gates for PT's Down-B, but I'm absolutely sure it can be done.

If you have time to completely edit, reanimate, & program Lucario. You can't tell me you don't have the time & resources to edit some Logic Gates so you can keep Red AND the Solo Pokemon with different Down-B moves.
Except PM Charizard without his new DSpecial is kinda... pointless.

MaxThunder

PM Support

You know what?... here you go:
pokemon change is not able to be mapped to taunt. we tried for over a year, and we eventually had to go to individual pokemon as characters. there was a split for quite a while in the BR as to whether to split them up or keep trying to map it to taunt but when it was obvious that it wasn't possible most that were on the other side had to agree that we had to move on with their development.
and if you're so sure that it can be done... how about you try?...

Ecks

Smash Lord
Lucario was the only character to recieve SF inspired stuff. Most added moves are either canon to the character's respective series or the smash games.

I asked a few times about keeping Red and giving wild pokes their new moves but it's one or the other, unfortunately.

And lol at the Jiggler comment above.

Katakiri

LV 20
NNID
Katakiri
3DS FC
2492-5180-2983
Except PM Charizard without his new DSpecial is kinda... pointless.
Holy character depth, Batman! That sounds like two different versions of a character for the price of one!

You know what?... here you go:

and if you're so sure that it can be done... how about you try?...
Alright, well for one, that has nothing to do with what I was proposing/asking. Shame Taunts won't work, but that's not the only option.

Secondly, if I can find the logic gate that controls PT's Pokemon Change or Down-B conditions, I can edit the gate manually, but I'm just one person. P:M has an entire staff and people that could find it much faster than just me.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
We wanted to include Pokémon Trainer and the individual Pokémon. I don't think there's a single person in the BR that didn't want to. But it wasn't possible. We would have been given **** regardless of which way we went, so we decided to go with the option that would give us the most competitive depth. The individual Pokémon are able to flourish and shine on their own, and with their new designs are able to compete at a high level with even the best characters. For all of them, their new Down-B's are crucial for them. I don't expect you to suddenly accept our decision, but at least know that a lot of thought went into it and we that we originally wanted what you wanted, but it wasn't possible.

I hope you're more understanding now that you've learned why we did what we did.

shanus

Smash Hero
You seem to have zero understanding of how coding works. Editing lucario is strictly moveset edits. Creating downB's and keeping PT was a topic discussed for over 6+ months and the only method we can actually accomplish it is with a working clone engine. As someone who has no insight into how we work, you make bold assumptions with nothing to back it by.

Alopex

Smash Ace
Remind me again why the Pokemon characters need a DownB move to be viable when Zelda/Shiek don't.

Also remind me again why the Brawl+ system of stand-alone PKs + auto-switch PT was ignored when it was an elegant system that maintained diversity and balance.

It has always seemed to me like the decision to remove PT was strictly based on "tradition" and lacked creativity. Everything else PM has done/shown is awesome, but removing PT when the above questions are still unanswered just seems knee-jerk.

Ghostbone

Smash Master
The pokemon can't have their own down-bs if they're on their own, plus with PT.

And P:M wants to look at least a little professional, and having characters without a down-b is really bad for that.

I don't get all the hate, you can still play Squirtle, Ivysaur and Charizard, and they all will have more depth than before.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom