• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Project M Social Thread Gold

KakuCP9

What does it mean to be strong?
Semi serious question.
Does anyone else find it more difficult to perform fighting game motions when your character faces the left?

DrinkingFood

Smash Hero
Semi serious question.
Does anyone else find it more difficult to perform fighting game motions when your character faces the left?
Human/primate hands are designed to grip not release because gripping strength is a valuable survival trait while releasing strength isn't. Anything that involves moving thumb to the right (the same direction as it would move relative to the hand I it were gripping around something) is easier to learn

EDIT: wait I might have the directions backwards but the point stands

Last edited:

CORY

wut
BRoomer
Semi serious question.
i don't have much tfg experience (i really just played vanilla blazblue when it came out and that was pretty much it...) but i remembered reading some sirlin article where he talked about a player "archetype" that was basically that. they only know their motions and combos facing one direction so if you can ever cross them up they fall apart.

what df said makes sense, but some people don't think to practice the other way around. i'm guessing you're not one of them, but that's what popped into my head and i felt compelled to share to feel special.

also watched some smash4 vid with corrin in it earlier and their sideb kick is so ****ing goofy. the hitboxes on it must be absurd.

Bleck

Smash Master
you can only see the result of what you did; visual pedagogic feedback is not just an image saying [SUCCESS] or [FAILURE]

Saito

Pranked!
NNID
Vairrick
3DS FC
1719-3875-9482
Semi serious question.
It's not a problem for me in smash; but in traditional fighting games I've always just been worse overall when im facing the left.

I always take extra time to practice on that side because of that.

Last edited:

Vashimus

Smash Master
Semi serious question.
Everybody has a preferred side. It's the other way around for me - I like being on P2's side, while I'm more likely to miss inputs or drop combos on P1. This is likely from years of fighting people who prefer Player 1 side, so I always got stuck with 2, but got used to it and eventually grew to prefer it.

Practicing on both left and right side with input display will let you see where you went wrong so you can correct the issue.

Can I borrow it forever? I'll give it back when I die.
Note to self - subtle flirting is not effective on Kurri

Last edited:

PMS | Tink-er

fie on thee
NNID
emptymetaphor
3DS FC
1337-1337-1337
i generally just practice stuff facing right in tfgs but i don't really have any problems w/ which direction i'm facing

Player -0

Smash Hero
you can only see the result of what you did; visual pedagogic feedback is not just an image saying [SUCCESS] or [FAILURE]
you used a big word

can I say I'm not listening to you anymore?

I don't see how it's different from strumming a string and hearing it. You hear the result of plucking the string, you don't get an interface that tells you that you did it.

SpiderMad

Smash Master
good afternoon, thread. this is a reminder of two things:

1) everyone has had a really embarrassing bit of their past

2) if the embarrassing bit happened on the internet, it will always stay on the internet, even if you're one of the most important encryption activists in the world

Last edited:

Bleck

Smash Master
I don't see how it's different from strumming a string and hearing it. You hear the result of plucking the string, you don't get an interface that tells you that you did it.
visual feedback on a stringed instrument is being able to observe how and/or where you're fretting/plucking the string, and how hard, and etc.

Hinichii.ez.™

insincere personality
NNID
hinichii
3DS FC
2423-5382-7542
Last edited:

Grey Belnades

The Imperial Aztec
NNID
OldManGrey
3DS FC
0748-2157-4277
dont worry about me, i can go one event without 367-0'ing you

you need a break from the *** whoopin', wass gud
I know I bodied you but I didn't think I bodied you so hard that your memory was reworked.

Oh well. Whatever helps you sleep at night, you giant nerd.

Bleck

Smash Master
inputs in TFGs is solely digital. Do you mean seeing if you got your motions for stuff?
I mean that there is no instruction for how to do the combo beyond guesswork and reproduction of guesswork, which is the least efficient way to teach somebody how to do a thing

the musical equivalent would be trying to teach somebody to play guitar by saying "play a B", and then only saying YES or NO in response to anything that they try to do, with no further instruction on how to hold the instrument or pluck the string(s) or what a B even is or for how long to hold the note or how loudly or softly to play the note or why it's called a B or how to fret the string or how to tune the guitar or etc. etc. etc.

and like, even if a player manages to practice that st. MP to cr. HP link and get it down pat, there's still no explicit instructions as to how, why or when you're supposed to try to do that combo in an actual match - the expectation is that they're just supposed to, figure it out? I guess?

it should not be difficult to understand that that's still largely inaccessible to people

Last edited:

CORY

wut
BRoomer
so is the complaint that there isn't a listing of combos that should work in a game that isn't built around custom combos?

if so, that's legit and (from my understanding) one of the many complaints about sfv.

Player -0

Smash Hero
so as CORY said it's not like a problem replicating a combo it's the fact that what goes into what is super ambiguous?

For most move cancels in TFGs I just think of it like a building block thing that's put in when opportunity presents itself. Being told what to do when for every situation kind of kills the fun in my opinion

Like there's still the learning curve but while combos not being intuitive is weird it doesn't seem like something that really adds to the learning curve or anything.

I still think I'm missing something.

Bleck

Smash Master
so is the complaint that there isn't a listing of combos that should work in a game that isn't built around custom combos?

if so, that's legit and (from my understanding) one of the many complaints about sfv.
so as CORY said it's not like a problem replicating a combo it's the fact that what goes into what is super ambiguous?
that's not specifically my complaint, but it's one that I agree with nonetheless

Like there's still the learning curve but while combos not being intuitive is weird it doesn't seem like something that really adds to the learning curve or anything.
yeah the problem is basically that there's nothing that tells you how to do this thing - I don't necessarily think that it's a bad thing that it's generally hard to do, but further obfuscating an already difficult thing by not even trying to instruct players in how to do it is really dumb, especially if this is supposedly the game that's supposed to be more accessible

KayB

Smash Master
BRoomer
I'm genuinely curious; how many of you guys actually learned how to "play" (as in not professionally, but do what the game sort of expected the average person to be able to do) Street Fighter/any fighting game using solely the tools provided with the game without referring to other people or the internet?

Cause I definitely needed someone's help to figure out what the hell I was supposed to do when I first picked up SF4 lol

Player -0

Smash Hero
obfuscating
idk. I feel like that's different than what you were saying earlier.

idk hopefully they (Capcam) do something.

also have you even slept yet?

I'm genuinely curious; how many of you guys actually learned how to "play" (as in not professionally, but do what the game sort of expected the average person to be able to do) Street Fighter/any fighting game using solely the tools provided with the game without referring to other people or the internet?

Cause I definitely needed someone's help to figure out what the hell I was supposed to do when I first picked up SF4 lol
How much of solo learning are you talking about?

Because when playing some 3s for first time (in bunch of years. Basically when I wasn't 2), I recalled dp motion, fireball motion, tatsu etc from just knowing because memes. Also in 3s you pretty much only play other people so you pick up on stuff.

like you can't really "solo learn" a game like street fighter. Actually idk all the tools provided in SF4. You might be able to with those ones.

Kurri ★

#PlayUNIST
Switch FC
7334-0298-1902
Won my first casual match today. FANG is weird. Is there anyway to avoid his poison without jumping over it? Parrying and blocking both still get you poisoned.

I need to look for a job :(

Bleck

Smash Master
idk. I feel like that's different than what you were saying earlier.
all I've been saying is that making 1 frame links into 3 frame links doesn't actually help with the problem that makes the game inaccessible in the first place

also have you even slept yet?
took a five hour nap before work earlier today, now I'm going to try to sleep before a tourney tomorrow

Smooth Criminal

Da Cheef
NNID
boundless_light
Won my first casual match today. FANG is weird. Is there anyway to avoid his poison without jumping over it? Parrying and blocking both still get you poisoned.
V-Skill poison? No. It's an unblockable projectile that remains intangible until it hits you (it passes through literally everything else, including EX fireballs). Sometimes it's actually better taking the poison so you can get in on him quickly. The projectile itself doesn't do any hitstun or blockstun whatsoever, so you're free to dash/jump through it at your leisure, and the poison itself isn't really that much damage as it ticks down on its own. The real danger is getting hit while you're poisoned because it stacks considerably, something FANG is pretty good at thanks to his range and his weird limbs/movements.

Be careful of his anti-air setups with the poison traps and the actual poison fireballs (the bouncy ones you can block). That can lead to some sticky situations if you're knocked down like that, and you don't want him to control the pace of the match.

V-Trigger poison cloud is kind of the same way? As long as he's in proximity to you while this is activated, it's auto-poison. Either try and stay as far away from him as possible when he does this and wait it out, or try to set up situations where you're gonna trade favorably.

Also, watch out for the command dash > grab setup. Really, really grimy.

Smooth Criminal

Last edited:

Vashimus

Smash Master
FANG is anime as hell. His general gameplay and appearance would fit right at home in a game like Blazblue, whereas in SF he just feels super bizarre. Even though he seems to get a lot of hate, I like that Capcom's getting out of their comfort zone for character design. Probably won't see anything extreme like puppet characters, but the V-system opens the door for a lot more creativity with the fighters beyond the basic archtypes of shoto, zoner, grappler, etc.

Last edited:

drakargx

Smash Journeyman

I treated it as a card game where you learned to play from someone else first and then went at it

Grey Belnades

The Imperial Aztec
NNID
OldManGrey
3DS FC
0748-2157-4277
I cry inside everytime gals only work out legs/glutes. WORK OUT THOSE GUNS DAMMIT

Arcade/Story mode.

Player -0

Smash Hero
all I've been saying is that making 1 frame links into 3 frame links doesn't actually help with the problem that makes the game inaccessible in the first place

took a five hour nap before work earlier today, now I'm going to try to sleep before a tourney tomorrow
Okay I see what you're saying here, I feel like you just meme people so hard that everyone gets confused. There's definitely other things Capcom could have done/do to make getting into the game at step 1 easier. I still like my dance dance revolution arrow things scrolling up the screen idea.

As a note I think changing super tight links to be not as dumb is kinda healthy for the game. I'd assume you'd agree with this though.

So I'm curious, did you have a rough idea on how you would change the game to make it more accessible (like mechanics) or did you want an actual teaching/training mode thingy?

Top Bottom