• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Project M Social Thread Gold

MonkUnit

Project M Back Roomer
Have not really had much time with SF5 yet, but so far there are two huge things that I hate. Player 1 is the only person that control any menu besides P2 pausing in VS mode. The second thing I hate is that "selecting" controllers is not like it is in SF4 where you press a button to register as P1 or P2 so you can use more than two controllers at a time without having to pass controllers around. However, SF5 registers controllers to P1 and P2 spots automatically so we are forced to pass a controller to the third person instead of having them use their own stick. :/

MonkUnit

Project M Back Roomer
I don't know if Qanba does this with all of their sticks, but one benefit for getting a Qanba stick (Q1 at least) is that the square gate is installed by default but they provide a circle and octagonal gate for free in case you want to switch gates.

Depending on how much money you want to spend and personal preference, I would probably just get any fight stick and then swap out the stick and buttons with Sanwa parts. Or you could order those parts and build your own stick.

Leafeon

Verdant Pokémon
shairn shairn even if it is more annoying to read in all kana, wouldn't playing a game that is written in all hiragana and katakana speed up my reading pace quite a bit? I've read that I'm not the only one who apparently reads it at a snail's pace, so I was planning even if I don't understand it to engage myself in reading it as I play just to be able to recognize it all faster
I'm tired of spending like 20 seconds for one sentence at a time, so I really want to speed it up. I'll be doing this unless you have another recommendation for speeding up the reading
(I understand it becomes faster when you add kanji, but when switching between the two kana I feel like I'm really spending too much time thinking about which one is what sound)

Last edited:

Kurri ★

#PlayUNIST
Switch FC
7334-0298-1902
why would anyone want to by a te2 (or anything madcatz for that matter) when qanba and hori sticks exist
I don't know if Qanba does this with all of their sticks, but one benefit for getting a Qanba stick (Q1 at least) is that the square gate is installed by default but they provide a circle and octagonal gate for free in case you want to switch gates.

Depending on how much money you want to spend and personal preference, I would probably just get any fight stick and then swap out the stick and buttons with Sanwa parts. Or you could order those parts and build your own stick.

Because Qanba doesn't make anything natively PS4, and I hear SFV is a ***** with legacy sticks (Xrd also doens't recognize legacy sticks). So if I ever got that, I'll then have to mod in a PS360+, plus get Sanwa parts, etc. That's a lot of work and I don't have money, so I'm taking any chance I can to get a high quality stick,

Got no qualms with Hori, but they're not doing a giveaway, so it's whatever.

Buy me a copy bby
I told you before, I don't have money :(

shairn

Your favorite anime is bad.
3DS FC
4742-6323-2961
shairn shairn even if it is more annoying to read in all kana, wouldn't playing a game that is written in all hiragana and katakana speed up my reading pace quite a bit? I've read that I'm not the only one who apparently reads it at a snail's pace, so I was planning even if I don't understand it to engage myself in reading it as I play just to be able to recognize it all faster
I'm tired of spending like 20 seconds for one sentence at a time, so I really want to speed it up. I'll be doing this unless you have another recommendation for speeding up the reading
(I understand it becomes faster when you add kanji, but when switching between the two kana I feel like I'm really spending too much time thinking about which one is what sound)
Maybe? You'll get the hang of kana fast enough though so it probably won't make much of a difference, but it surely can't hurt. On the flipside, it won't help your kanji recognition either but, again, it's a drop of water in an ocean of hard work so whatever. My only point is that actually understanding the text is a bit harder without kanji, so you might spend more time looking at a sentence, and words you don't know can be more difficult to look up without the associated kanji.

You might want to get into reading raw manga. All-ages, shoujo and shounen manga usually have furigana for every kanji, which helps learning new words and you'll still get your kana practice. Plus there's a much larger variety of text than you'll find in pokémon, where you'll end up reading the same thing over and over(combat messages, menus, etc.).

If you use IRC, you can hook up to #l/a/nguage on Rizon to have access to a bot for raw manga and light novels.

Leafeon

Verdant Pokémon
Maybe? You'll get the hang of kana fast enough though so it probably won't make much of a difference, but it surely can't hurt. On the flipside, it won't help your kanji recognition either but, again, it's a drop of water in an ocean of hard work so whatever. My only point is that actually understanding the text is a bit harder without kanji, so you might spend more time looking at a sentence, and words you don't know can be more difficult to look up without the associated kanji.

You might want to get into reading raw manga. All-ages, shoujo and shounen manga usually have furigana for every kanji, which helps learning new words and you'll still get your kana practice. Plus there's a much larger variety of text than you'll find in pokémon, where you'll end up reading the same thing over and over(combat messages, menus, etc.).

If you use IRC, you can hook up to #l/a/nguage on Rizon to have access to a bot for raw manga and light novels.
I don't use irc but based on what you're recommending it sounds like I should
raw manga would probably be better, yeah. Though I wasn't really planning on paying attention to battle things (as I do already know what they say 70% of the time, I would still need to relearn some pokemon names but that doesn't really amount to much) it was more about just talking to the random NPCs that you wouldn't normally talk to in a playthrough of the game... or maybe you do, I'm the lazy type who just does the necessary things in pokemon and then goes back and gets items based on where guides tell me to go find them at after I've completed the game.
But manga is probably a better option as it's both what I want to use it for (reading and making doujinshi) and more varied.
Teach me the ways of IRC, at least just enough to get that going.

shairn

3DS FC
4742-6323-2961
Leafeon Leafeon

Step 1: Get an IRC client. You can just google for free IRC clients, there's millions of those. I personally use Chatzilla, which installs itself into firefox so I don't really have to worry about crowding my workspace. I'm not too knowledgeable about other clients but you can take a look at stuff like mIRC I suppose. Make sure to geta client that can use the XDCC protocol for file transfers.

Step 2: Attach to the server. This is usually /attach servername, which is in our case "irc.rizon.net". The command might be different depending on your IRC client.

Step 3: Join the channel. /join #channelname. This should be the same for all clients. In this case, #l/a/nguage.

Now you're on the channel, hurray. From there on you should be able to see the topic and whatnot. The information for the bot is in the topic. Type !list to see everything you can get. Instructions on using the bot should be on the link provided. You communicate with the bot by using /msg botname command.

I'm pretty sure you can access the bot without joining the channel, so long as you're attached to Rizon, but I guess it might help to have the channel open if you ever need any help. There are fluent and native speakers on that channel.

Leafeon

Verdant Pokémon
Leafeon Leafeon

Step 1: Get an IRC client. You can just google for free IRC clients, there's millions of those. I personally use Chatzilla, which installs itself into firefox so I don't really have to worry about crowding my workspace. I'm not too knowledgeable about other clients but you can take a look at stuff like mIRC I suppose. Make sure to geta client that can use the XDCC protocol for file transfers.

Step 2: Attach to the server. This is usually /attach servername, which is in our case "irc.rizon.net". The command might be different depending on your IRC client.

Step 3: Join the channel. /join #channelname. This should be the same for all clients. In this case, #l/a/nguage.

Now you're on the channel, hurray. From there on you should be able to see the topic and whatnot. The information for the bot is in the topic. Type !list to see everything you can get. Instructions on using the bot should be on the link provided. You communicate with the bot by using /msg botname command.

I'm pretty sure you can access the bot without joining the channel, so long as you're attached to Rizon, but I guess it might help to have the channel open if you ever need any help. There are fluent and native speakers on that channel.
Thank you, this is a great help.

shairn

3DS FC
4742-6323-2961
Also you might notice the channel is super dead, and that's a common occurrence in IRC. Everybody logs in and idles and checks up on the channel every once in a while, or if they get pinged.

zman804

Smash Ace
Man SFV bothers me. Like, the game itself is great, but what the hell was Capcom thinking in terms of available modes? I was under the impression this was made to be more newbie friendly, yet nothing in the game teaches you about ANYTHING character specific. Like, look at Xrd. They have Trails that show your characters moves, their basic combos and some really hard stuff. In Xrd, you hover over a special move it gives a little line sometimes saying things about the move. Xrd has a mission mode where they make you anti air, make you block Millia, etc. SFV has NOTHING in it that teaches you how to actually play. I feel like there's been all these innovations made for Fighting Games post 09 and Capcoms ignored ALL of them.

Then Sony sticks don't work? I understand it's difficult, but again, Sony sticks worked on launch at Xrd, even if they did cause a strange memory leak issue. That's at least half of your userbase, probably more since tournament standard is PS4, but nah who cares they can use X360e or whatever. You also can't use a keyboard as a Player 2 controller, at least not that I've been able to make work.

/endrant

[spoilers] I still love the ****ing game and can't wait to play you nerds once Capcom lets me [/spoilers]

zman804

Smash Ace
Sure but that's such a big thing to not launch with. Even if they didn't have time to implement all sorts of combos maybe have a brief tutorial for each character, going over what normals special cancel, what normals are good for antiairing, etc. Don't get me wrong, I love finding stuff out. But that a game supposedly newbie friendly tells you NOTHING is infuriating to me.

Kurri ★

#PlayUNIST
Switch FC
7334-0298-1902
Sure but that's such a big thing to not launch with. Even if they didn't have time to implement all sorts of combos maybe have a brief tutorial for each character, going over what normals special cancel, what normals are good for antiairing, etc. Don't get me wrong, I love finding stuff out. But that a game supposedly newbie friendly tells you NOTHING is infuriating to me.
probably because they're waiting to see what the community finds optimal and build from there.

Ningildo

Smash Journeyman
Speaking of Xrd, got the game the other day. It's pretty cool.

Might even add some of you on PSN once I get a somewhat strong and stable connection.

And maybe get some links down and learn how neutral works in this game.

D

Deleted member

almost got hit by a car today, presumably resulting in what would have been my inevitable death

how's everyone doing

Helsong

Smash Ace
Yeah, asking $60 for a pretty barebones game and the promise of stuff later is kinda...eh. I'll get it once it's actually launch-feature complete, but it's not really a justifiable purchase at that price point right now, not when there's Dark Souls 3 looming on the horizon...and also asking me to shell out $60.

Last edited:

KakuCP9

What does it mean to be strong?
I got lucky and got the game for $45 on Steam. Bad news is I don't have the rig to run it. Bright side is by the time I save up enough to build decent PC, it will be a glorious game (hopefully).

Last edited:

drakargx

Smash Journeyman
For this study abroad scholarship I have to write a 2 page essay on why I want to go to japan and what I hope to gain from the experience

How do I not sound like a weeb writing this

Really bummed out that sfv doesnt launch with 8 player lobbies, was going to have a full lobby with some friends but that dream is dead. Can't even play 2 player lobbies atm which is probably even more ****ed up

Soft Serve

softie
Premium
I mean I might not have a story mode to play in, or trials mode to learn some things about these new characters and how they work

but at least I can play vs people I know in lobbies- oh wait

well at least I can have a friend over and use our favorite ps3 sticks on my PC version- oh wait

at least all the new ps4 sticks work on pc- oh wait

well at the very least I can avoid playing survival mode and still get a full multiplayer experience. Oh whats that? Colors are locked behind survival mode? To get all the color pallets I have to grind vs CPUs for over an hour for each character, instead of unlocking them all naturally as I played the game? Whelp, better just wait for the next patch and the store to open up so I can buy the pallet swaps. Can't wait to spend in-game currency to unlock costumes I can only use in story mode currently.

Whelp theres always training mode right? Hey its got better play back features! Oh, it doesn't default to your last training settings, and just goes back to no block>stun on every time? And still no means of seeing in game how advantaged/disadvantaged something is on block/hit, or what frame it comes out on? Can't see hitboxes in game either? Guess I'll just have to wait for them to release the mobile app with all the frame data in it like they did in SF4. Can't wait to spend 5 extra bucks on something that could have just been a switch in the menus.

speaking of menus, if you leave them open too long when moving through them the framerate drops dramatically. Great, I thought my bad was malfunctioning but it was actually just the menus dropping to 20 fps as I just go up and down.

gotta love poorly-textured background characters running at lower FPS than the game. The india stage is really bad for this.

Everything just reeks of it being rushed, unfinished and sloppy. Its like they spent all their time on the game play (which is ****ing amazing) and just told the interns to do all the rest.

What a great, new-player friendy, information-rich launch for the game supposed to revitalize and make SF mainstream.

Last edited:

PMS | LEVEL 100 MAGIKARP

Hologram Summer Again
the only way I'll buy sfv is if they include oro as a post-launch character

(and I don't have a ps4 or a laptop that can run xrd, so I probably won't be able to run sfv, I just want to have it to play oro when I have access to my home pc)

Soft Serve

softie
Premium
the only way I'll buy sfv is if they include oro as a post-launch character

(and I don't have a ps4 or a laptop that can run xrd, so I probably won't be able to run sfv, I just want to have it to play oro when I have access to my home pc)
just wait for 2017 where they release all the characters they teased in the pre-story "story-mode" as part of the next season of DLC.

Player -0

Smash Hero
ayy.

@Kushina43 Started a mini Terraria adventure and I joined in. We're like, not far in at all (yay house is usable kinda?) so people should join next time it's played.

Edit - My character is Corrin. Prepare for spears.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

In current news, your boy Scotch is apparently a radical, leftist, transphobic satanic being that's "so ****ing privileged" (ROOOOFL)

In lighter, relevant, and better news, ****ING LMAO:

ROOOOFL.png

Top Bottom